[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Pirates are criminals destroying the industry!"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: 1427139524449.jpg (52 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1427139524449.jpg
52 KB, 543x405
>"Pirates are criminals destroying the industry!"
>Buys used games

Explain yourself.
>>
>>321667683
I want to destroy the industry while keeping a memento of it.
>>
File: 2042.jpg (11 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
2042.jpg
11 KB, 230x219
>>321667683
>game can be sold second time
>somehow its bad
>>
pubs get money from used games you fucking idiot
>>
>>321667683
Why do you blindly assume someone who hates piracy also buys used game?
>>
>>321667683
The used game was already bought
:^)
>>
>>321667896
>>321667925
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure publishers dont get any money from used games, which is why some publishers tried adding "online access" DLC.
>>
>>321667925
how?
>>
>>321667925

Only if players are buying DLC.

>>321667975

I don't, but the majority of people who hate piracy and buy physical games would be perfectly happy to buy used if it was the better deal.
>>
>>321667683
I'm employed and can afford whatever games I want unlike most of the trash.
>>
>>321668120
>i don't

>but the majority
Once again, why are you blindly assuming this?
>>
>>321668120
If the game has been out for a while why would you not buy it used? It's already been bought by another person and they probably returned it as a trade in towards something else.
>>
>>321668457
OP's point is that doing that wont profit the developer at all, just like piracy.
>>
It's the same with every thing in the world.
Nobody is gonna sue you because you sold your used car or dishwasher.
>>
>>321668103

They don't, but that should just be an incentive for publishers to create games that people don't want to resell.
>>
>>321668457

Because the developer sees no proceeds from your purchase, meaning you may as well have pirated it as far as the developers being compensated goes. The only people making money off your purchase are the stores who bought that game in at a low price and sold it on to you for a huge profit.

I used to work in retail, and I can tell you for a fact that the margins on new games are peanuts compared to used, and the devs don't see a fucking penny.
>>
>>321668613

Difference is you can't just download a dishwasher or a car.
>>
>>321668606

>Piracy
>Infinitely many people can download games without the developer selling anything
>Second Hand
>At least one person has to have bought the game
>If multiple people want to own the game they all need to buy it

>HURR TOTALLY THE SAME THING GUYS, WHY IS PIRACY BAD AGAIN?

If you buy a used game you buy it from someone who already bought it and thus the developer already got his money. It's just that the person who doesn't want the game anymore gets his money back because he doesn't like the game anymore.
Pretty much a refund that you the buyer pay
>>
When you buy a physical game, you know you willl get ~20% of the price back if you want (as well as lend it to your friends), which makes you more inclined to buying it.
>>
>>321668613

Because that's perfectly legal. Except if you do it on a corporate level, then you of course need to pay taxes for running a business
>>
>>321668835
Not yet at least.
>>
>>321668720
So multiplayer-only games?
Thanks for the cancer then

A lot of gamers arent like us. I love having a collection for no damn good reason, but lots of people dont give a shit.

But let's go back to the original point
You say buying used games is wrong yet you defend buying used games to defend yourself from false generalizing a large group of people?
>>
>>321669054

Add replayability. If the game leaves you with the impression "Shit that was such a good game, I wish I could forget it all and just replay it" who would resell it?
The only companies really suffering from second hand sales are the companies making shitty 20 hour games that nobody really enjoys but buys because of marketing and then goes to sell them again because they are only hot for the first bunch of weeks.
>>
Used games provide currency to the person who traded the game in to buy new games. New games sales will suffer without this currency.
>>
>>321667925
No they don't.
>>
>>321668940
>Being this retarded.
The point is that like piracy, they don't get money from YOU, it doesn't matter that the game was bought by someone else before, it's still a lost sale on your part, especially considering that you'll never buy it new anyway since you already got it used, whereas a pirate might end up buying it later.
It's just as harmful as piracy which is to say, not much at all.
Also
>gets his money back because he doesn't like the game anymore.
>Pretty much a refund that you the buyer pay
this is bullshit of the highest order if you aren't returning it in the span of 15 days and even then some don't even give you money but store credit instead.
Selling your games to a store is a huge mistake, they give you peanuts for what you payed full price for and sell it for what you payed for most of the time, might as well keep them if they'll only give you like 5 dollars off when you payed 50 for it.
>>
>>321667683
my wife's son makes this exact same point -- going to have to show him this thread when he gets back from his dad's place tonight
>>
File: 1446996290553.png (75 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1446996290553.png
75 KB, 251x251
>WHY DO YOU PIRATE?! THE DEVS NEED YOUR MONEY TO LIVE AND MAKE MORE GAMES!
>Only buys 95% reduced steam deal games for 2$
>>
>>321669524

What if they just buy more used games? What abut the stores taking a 40% cut?
>>
>>321667925
No, literally only the store gets money. That's why they push people to buy used games so hard.
>>
File: 1441854375033.jpg (20 KB, 377x266) Image search: [Google]
1441854375033.jpg
20 KB, 377x266
>>321669757
1/10 at least try to make it subtle, senpai
>>
>>321669753

Yes it does.
If one million people want to own the game 1 million people need to have bought it. Period. It doesn't matter in whose hands the game ended up, someone had to pay for it.

And if I fucking decide to give away games for free after I buy them and people take them from me for free somone (in this case me) STILL needed to have bought them first.

It's really simple.
With piracy nobody needed to buy a game and one million people go own a game without the company getting a single sent
>>
File: 1393707195422.jpg (165 KB, 555x586) Image search: [Google]
1393707195422.jpg
165 KB, 555x586
>placing piracy in the same field as buying used

Granted it's not ideal but at least if you buy a 2nd hand game from a brick and mortar store then you're supporting the companies who'll be selling and advertising the devs future titles.
You give Gamestop more money then they can stock more first hand shit also to sell.

With piracy you're literally giving nothing positive to the industry.
>>
>>321669823
While a 100% of funds will not be put into new games, a decent percentage will (as opposed to literally 0% with piracy).

As for stores taking a large cut, this keeps them in business which means that every single mall is pretty much guaranteed to have a game store which lowers barriers of entry for the casual audience and in turn will give devs more sales.
>>
>>321667878
>I want to destroy the industry while keeping a memento of it.

This. But add the sooner it's killed the sooner something more professional can arise from the ashes.

And by professional I mean 'neckbeards' who mostly can't keep marketing in check for long term good. 2015 has basically been watching the Game playing golden goose be raped to death
>>
File: slayerofthreads.jpg (90 KB, 800x648) Image search: [Google]
slayerofthreads.jpg
90 KB, 800x648
>all this butthurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJAWGjnT-_A

I have been pirating for more than 30 years and will continue to do so. No one will stop me. There is nothing you can do to prevent me from pirating. I have a good job and tons of disposable income, but I save all that and pirate my games. Always have, always will.

While you cry and gnash your teeth I will be torrenting files for games I will most likely not even play. I don't seed either; my upload folder just has a couple token files in it. No need for excuses or rationalization - I pirate because I don't want to pay. Eat shit faggot.
>>
>>321670594
>tfw wyatt mann is ~ 50 y o hipster troll
>>
File: 1431671137592.png (362 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1431671137592.png
362 KB, 700x700
>>321670116
Wait how would someone make the crack without first having the legitimate copy?
>>
File: 1423795421478.png (328 KB, 880x438) Image search: [Google]
1423795421478.png
328 KB, 880x438
>>321670594
>I don't seed either
People like you should be euthanized
>>
>>321670116
If 1 million people bought the game, then sold it used to another 1 million that wanted the game, that's 1 million people that didn't give money to the devs and if those also sell it to another 1 million then that makes 2 million people that didn't give the devs any money.
While piracy just requires 1 person to buy it to distribute to millions it really doesn't matter
If a dev wants their game bought and not resold then they just have to make it appealing enough, pirates will still pirate, some will not spend a dime, but others might end up buying it, if for nothing else just to have it physically.
Like i said, they both are the same amount of harmful, which is to say very little; it is nothing but a scapegoat devs/publishers fall back to when they delivered a shit game or didn't meet the unrealistically high sales they wanted, kind of like how Bioware/EA blames people that hate gays for the reason their shitty SJW pandering games not selling.
>>
if you buy used, at least the devs got paid once.
when you pirate they get nothing.
>>
>>321667683
You can't really buy used games on Steam.
>>
>>321670116
The problem is that used game sales don't give the company anything, but the upkeep is still there. Multiplayer aspects of games require service and updating, which puts costs onto devs. If the average buyer of a game buys it new and plays multiplayer for six months, trades it in, and that game is bought used by someone else that plays for two years, that's four times the upkeep for servers at no benefit to the devs.
>>
>>321671431
I pirated Metal Gear Rising when it came out. Enjoyed the hell out of it.
Bought it new later down the line.
Still enjoying the hell out of it.
>>
If video game piracy was literally impossible, how would the industry be/ look like?
>>
>>321671328

>If 1 million people bought the game, then sold it used to another 1 million that wanted the game, that's 1 million people that didn't give money to the devs and if those also sell it to another 1 million then that makes 2 million people that didn't give the devs any money.

You're missing the point. The end result is: 1 million people own the game, 1 million people bought the game.
The devs got the exact money for all the copies of a game they sold and also the exact numbers of copies is in possession of the customers. Everyone who sold their game CAN'T PLAY IT ANYMORE. IF THEY WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN, THEY HAVE TO BUY IT AGAIN.

With Piracy you have 1 guy and he just INDEFINITELY distributes the game to however many people. No game is bought, yet 1 million people own one. How the fuck can you think that receiving a performance without giving a counterperformance can be the same thing as paying for your sevices?
>>321671843
>Multiplayer aspects of games require service and updating, which puts costs onto devs.

There is no difference to that if the people who originally bought the game kept it and kept playing.

Can you people stop being so stupid already?
>>
File: 1432080470072.jpg (19 KB, 400x346) Image search: [Google]
1432080470072.jpg
19 KB, 400x346
>>321672375
>The devs got the exact money for all the copies of a game they sold and also the exact numbers of copies is in possession of the customers
So? that means they now have new copies going unsold because of it, you talk like this is some kind of win-win situation when in truth it isn't especially when buying used doesn't carry any stigma unlike piracy.
>No game is bought
How do you know?
>There is no difference to that if the people who originally bought the game kept it and kept playing.
>Can you people stop being so stupid already?
Kek, that irony.
>>
>>321673359

I just can't stress how fucking retarded you are.

1 MILLION SOLD COPIES
1 MILLION GAME OWNERS
DEV RECEIVED EXACTLY THE MONEY OF COPIES THAT CONSUMERS OWN
HOW FUCKING HARD IS THAT CONCEPT TO GRASP

Yeah he didn't sell more than 1 million. But that didn't happen because of second hand. There were enough people who didn't want to own the game anymore and enough people who thought the full price wasn't worth it.

>>No game is bought
>How do you know?
See first sentence

>Kek, that irony.
See first sentence
>>
>>321667683
Scarcity, you retard.
>>
>>321669780
Little Money > No Money

Your counter-argument makes no sense.
>>
>>321667683
Every used game has already given money to the pubs/devs.

Pirates give nothing.
>>
It is much better to have people pirate your game than it is to have people ignore it. Piracy is free advertising.
>>
>>321674204
l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y
>>
>>321667683
Buying used games still funds businesses, which in turn will show a demand for certain games, which will cause businesses to start carrying that more of that certain game (as in having new copies).
>>
File: 1441853410190.png (51 KB, 537x537) Image search: [Google]
1441853410190.png
51 KB, 537x537
>>321673964
Is it that hard to grasp the fact your logic of 1 million copies + 1 million owners = all is right is retarded fallacy?
>Yeah he didn't sell more than 1 million. But that didn't happen because of second hand.
yes it did senpai, if there wasn't the cheaper second hand alternative then they would have sold another 1 million. Just because the first 1 million can't play the game anymore doesn't mean the dev didn't get fucked out of 1 million.
>There were enough people who didn't want to own the game anymore
Big whoop they bought the game full price so nobody cares what you do with the disc, you could even have sex with it if you have a small chode
>and enough people who thought the full price wasn't worth it.
You see, this is the retarded part, how does it make it any better than piracy? By that line of thought they don't want to pay full price so they pay a third party for a cheaper alternative and a pirate doesn't want to pay so he pirates for free, the dev makes no money regardless.
>No game is bought
>How do you know?
>See first sentence
See >>321671854
>Kek, that irony.
>See first sentence
I already did senpai and it still paints you as the same kind of stupid that you claim others are.
I mean
>There is no difference to that if the people who originally bought the game kept it and kept playing.
Seriously? So a guy bought a game and the devs are funneling money for their online service, nothing wrong with that, that's how it is. But then the guy sells the game and the game is bought by another guy because it was cheaper than buying new, so now there's this guy that didn't pay for shit still getting serviced by the devs. Do you see how that isn't alright? A lost sale. That's what this is all about. because the guy bought it used the devs are now bleeding money for this guy that didn't pay for a copy that he could affort but decided to go with the bargain option.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.