[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can change the nature of a man, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1450591801337.jpg (41 KB, 404x502) Image search: [Google]
1450591801337.jpg
41 KB, 404x502
What can change the nature of a man, /v/?
>>
This. *unzips dick*
>>
File: 1449664299204.jpg (20 KB, 220x236) Image search: [Google]
1449664299204.jpg
20 KB, 220x236
>>321666018
rape
>>
>>321666018

anonymity
>>
>>321666018
ur mum
>>
You, Anon. For you have changed me forever.
>>
Having to run undersigil forever to get the best equipments on a 1% drop chance on a mob that has 20% of spawning.
>>
File: 1416152015619.png (8 KB, 450x401) Image search: [Google]
1416152015619.png
8 KB, 450x401
shades in the endgame
>>
>>321666656
pretty sure thats part of the nature of a man
>>
>>321669929

>he doesn't know cloudkill insta-gibs them
>>
>>321666018
Death?
>>
why do people think this game is deep? just examine the question for a minute. we're asked what can change the nature of a man, but first you have to consider what defines it in the first place. when the nameless one wakes up with no memories, we're supposed to assume that his nature has been reset to a blank slate. this makes you question what he's actually basing his decisions on. from a meta-perspective the player can choose to steer his alignment in whatever direction you want, but how can this be explained from an in-game standpoint? does this mean that the nameless one does retain some sort of core nature even without his memories? in that case, how did some incarnations end up so different from others?

instead of addressing these subjects in more depth, the game goes off about belief as a magic power. this is considered by fans to be the deepest and most well written bit of dialogue in video games. I have to wonder if they actually think this, or if it's some kind of pretension where they think pretending the game is smart will make them seem smarter by association.
>>
The real question the game posed in the end was "what can't change the nature of a man?"
>>
If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can.

I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me.
>>
>>321666018
I see this game get posted a lot, what is it? Rpg, shootan?
>>
[Truth] Only cute anime girls can.
>>
Regret is the only good answer.

Everything else is not universally true.
>>
>>321671421
Mostly it's a book. It's Baldur's Gate if it was all about the story and dialogue not anything about the combat.
>>
>>321671781
Western VN?
>>
>>321670209
If I remember right, at that point I was still one or two levels away from couldkill.
Or maybe I had something like one daily cast.

Not super useful.
>>
>>321671925
a storyfag cRPG.
>>
>>321670631

Belief and willpower ARE magical forces in the planescape setting you god damn retard.
>>
>>321670631
>this makes you question what he's actually basing his decisions on.
Throughout the game, about everything you encounter, experience and see somehow links to one or multiple of the answer options of that choice.
Which is not that surprising considering how large scale themes the answers are.
But still, one can justify any of the answers through the game itself.

Also, the game is not just that question. It's memorable and easy to quote, but it doesn't show how interesting and fun just going through dialog can be in PS:T.
Even random side characters can have lots of interesting text hidden in them and you won't be just mindlessly going through every dialog option in turn, as most of the time you will have, or you want to, carefully chose your words.
>>
>>321672624
you don't understand. normally someone with amnesia only loses episodic memory. you forgot what you were doing yesterday, but you don't suddenly become a murderous dick because you forgot how to be nice to people. with the nameless one your alignment is set to neutral at the start of the game, and you can play as a moralfag or an edgy faggot based on your meta-decisions, but there's no in-game explanation for why the nameless one feels it's ok to be evil, or not be evil. maybe you can think that neutral is the default state for people, and going in any one direction is the nameless one recalling learned behavior from previous lives, but the game doesn't even suggest that this might be happening.

also I strongly disagree about the dialog being fun to go though. most of it is obnoxious purple prose and half of the npcs have the typical obsidian soapboxing feel that they were written just to lecture the player on one subject or another.
>>
XCOM
>>
File: scissors_PNG25[1].png (2 MB, 2588x1656) Image search: [Google]
scissors_PNG25[1].png
2 MB, 2588x1656
>>321666018
Castration.
>>
>>321674078

Each incarnation starts neutral, and became different because of the stuff that happened to them in their life.

I thought that was obvious.
>>
>>321675298
damn all this time i thought there was only one answer to OP
>>
>>321675298
nice
>>
>>321675958
>became different because of the stuff that happened to them in their life.
but it's not like he's a baby and has morte giving him moral lessons. you come straight out of the mortuary with the option to play as a fully lawful good character. where does that inclination come from?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.