[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT : survival game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
File: Dark.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dark.jpg
233 KB, 1920x1080
Looking for a sandbox survival game, getting bored of Don't Starve. I heard Rust community is horrible, Ark looks great (don't know bout the gameplay tho).

Any suggestions/protips ?
>>
7 days to die
>>
>>321660083
>Looking for a sandbox survival game
Real Life
>>
>>321660212
don't be autistic
>>
>>321660148
I had that game, laggy af every time there is more than 2 zombies on screen since they added HD textures
>>
>>321660083
I love Rust, put 500+ hours into it since launch. But if you dont have friends to play it with it may be a bit rough.
>>
Refugee simulator: Tip of Africa

might be too easy since the last EU patch adding free asylum
>>
>>321660083
The long dark if you don't have it already, most realistic and nonshit one out right now. Otherwise the forest or stranded deep.
>>
>>321660303
Takes one to know one
>>
UnReal World
>>
Think ark is your best bet as its the only one that seems to not be getting off the cash money train after launch, its even moved to consoles granted its not doing so hot there.

Your other choices are various other games that have little to no support now and barely get updated or modding a game to the point of something you enjoy.

I have no experience with these games as my friend is a boring piece of shit and refuses to play anything, he would rather watch faggots stream and talk about how "this thing he did on stream was funny." yes I'm butthurt twitch has taken my gaming buddy.
>>
>>321660148
that's one of the worst game I've ever played

dont even think about being serious about that shit

ark seems temping but its just chinks raiding your bases on diferent timezones
>>
>>321660083
Long dark is easily the best of these games on the market right now
>no memes
>no meme multiplayer
>no meme twitch integration
>devs pushing harsh survival over dank meme development
>>
>>321661837
>no nothing

seriously what the fuck do you do in this game? loot houses for a while and get enough food to last weeks of game time, shoot wolves. that's it
>>
>>321661837
>dank meme development

you okay there anon?

better take it down a notch, I think those shitposts are getting to ya
>>
File: 1420738417144.png (209 KB, 400x337) Image search: [Google]
1420738417144.png
209 KB, 400x337
>>321662158
Are you suggesting that is not an accurate survival simulation?
>>
>>321662392
I'm suggesting it's boring as fuck just like a survival situation is, i.e. a shitty game.
>>
Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead
UnReal World
Haven and Hearth if the devs didn't go full jewish
>>
>>321662554
I wish someone would make a game like these but with actual graphics and better controls.
>>
>>321660615
This is the only answer that matters.
>>
>>321662554
>tfw used to play unreal world back when it had a ´monthly sub price
>>
>>321662468
>this survival simulator is only about survival and I don't like it

So play something else dickweed
What little the game lacked in gameplay was greatly made up in atmosphere
>>
>>321663753
>What little the game lacked in gameplay
"little"? you do jack shit in the game. After you hoard very easy to get food there is literally zero incentive to ever leave a house sitting in the corner.
>>
>>321664038
Yes, that would be a lot like a real survival situation, something this game is attempting to re-create
>>
>>321664551
>It's boring because it's supposed to be boring.

In an actual survival situation you can't stockpile enough food for a month in a day. In a survival situation you can't stockpile tons of firewood in a few hours. In a survival situation you can't sit in the corner of a house for weeks at a time for many reasons, not the least of which being you'll be bored out of your mind. In a survival situation wolves don't wander alone on big open lakes without detecting you until you are in spitting distance.

Just some things that might make the game, I don't know, fun?
>>
how about subnautica?
>>
>>321664038
If you think the game is about gathering a lifetime supply of beans and huddling in a corner I can understand why the game isn't to your liking
>>
>>321665129
What is it about then? because there is no incentive whatsoever to do anything else.
>>
The Forest is great and actually worth buying because the devs actually appear to give a shit and update it every week. I got it right after it came out and it is astounding how much it has improved.

Stranded Deep is the same thing but the devs apparently don't care and aren't fixing it.

I've put 100 hours into Long Dark, which I'm guessing you've played. Besides the Forest, it's my favorite.

I got Savage Lands for gave keys out to my friends. I haven't played quite enough yet to decide if I like it. It's still pretty clunky so I hope they continue to work on it

Finally, although it's probably only arguably a survival/sandbox game, try State of Decay. It's really addictive and more fun than a fucking Xbox360 indie game should have been. Avoid the DLC though, it's pointless.

>>321660148
This game is absolute trash. I'm so glad I got a fucking refund for it.

Also, I still haven't tried Rust or Ark. Ark looks exactly like the Forest/Stranded Deep/Savage Lands but with Dinosaurs. Rust actually seems like fun but I won't play it without friends.
>>
But you posted it OP.

If you actually want a game with SURVIVAL, then you can't really go wrong with The Long Dark.

Just make sure to play on the hardest difficulty, I'm attempting my first run now and it's brutal.
>>
>>321665459
If you don't find the process of surviving in the game (gathering wood to not die to the cold, food to not starve, hunting to maintain gear, scavenging for ammo/fuel/whatever) and exploring the environment enjoyable why are you playing a game that is built around these things

Besides they're adding a story mode, it's still in early access
>>
I can recommend Ark. The devs still give a shit about it and update it regularly which is almost unheard of for early access survival games. I think it's doing pretty well in general too. My friends and I picked it up back in the summer when it first went into EA and have had a blast with it. Being able to tame basically every creature in the game is pretty cool, too.
>>
>>321665873
>gathering wood to not die to the cold
You mean moving a slider for how many hours you want the game to automatically search for wood for you?
>food to not starve
You mean the food that is all over the place, and not even remotely scarce? The hundreds of pounds of meat that falls into you lap from fighting easily killed, dumb, deaf and blind wolves that rove alone for some reason?
>hunting to maintain gear
gear you don't need because you're always drowning in food and have an unlimited water supply in the form of snow that is also automatically gathered from a slider menu. so you can just sit indoors for eternity
>scavenging for ammo/fuel/whatever
see above
>>
>>321664038

Someone didn't play the Hardest difficulty
>>
>>321660083
Play Project Zomboid and die in your fortress from catching a cold rather from being eaten alive.
>>
>>321665714
My last play I had a horrible experience where I ran away from wolves into one of the houses and slept/healed/ate/etc. The next day the same fucking wolves were still circling the place.

Fuck, that was not something that happened in earlier versions. I ended up just starving to death in a cabin.

Also, Hayter storymode when?
>>
>>321666394
Honestly, it sounds like he didn't even play on normal difficulty. Look at this post >>321666314

You normally would freeze looking for wood. Food is actually scarce, even on normal, in order to stay fairly full. The rifle is much easier to find on the easy mode and since the game dumps more items on you in easy mode all around, you don't even have to worry about crafting anything.

I've played on casual just to dick around and explore. The game is actually fun on normal or hard. I can tell from his post this guy has only played it on casual.
>>
>>321662158
If you stay in one area for too long the wolves encroach on you. So need to move around every few days.

There are "end game" items to craft like deer skin pants, bear sleeping bag. These take multiple days to craft even after gathering the ingredients.

Weather is one of the best parts of the game. Some times you have to deal with blizzards that last more then a day and you're totally snowed in.

It's worth the $10 now but I hope they do add more.
>>
>>321664913
Sorry, perhaps the game needs more explosions, ninjas, and dubstep keep your attention?

>>321666034
I have Ark and I didn't really enjoy it. It's kinda weird, but I liked Stomping Land more. Sucks that game is dead.
>>
>>321660395
I love being a hermit in Rust. I've taken out whole communities by myself just farming C4 and rockets.
>>
File: 2015-12-23_00001.jpg (252 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-23_00001.jpg
252 KB, 1920x1080
>>321665016
pretty fun tbqh
>>
>>321666876
>I can tell from his post this guy has only played it on casual.
lol

> The rifle is much easier to find on the easy mode
As if you even need the rifle to kill wolves
>Food is actually scarce, even on normal, in order to stay fairly full
lol
>You normally would freeze looking for wood.
Dont go out in bad weather, it's not like if matters, you always have a stockpile of food so just wait for good weather. You get passable winter clothing just from rummaging anyway.
>There are "end game" items to craft like deer skin pants, bear sleeping bag. These take multiple days to craft even after gathering the ingredients.
shit that is worthless because you can just sit inside instead.
>>
File: 1329458168172 (1).jpg (19 KB, 214x291) Image search: [Google]
1329458168172 (1).jpg
19 KB, 214x291
>Last year
>Friend raving about some game called Planet Explorers
>Survival sandbox game where you can "build anything"
>She says it's the best ever
>In alpha and on sale it's still 30 bucks
>Buy it, we play for 30 minutes
>It's a fucking horrific, unplayable piece of trash
>Check back a few times hoping to get money's worth
>Devs don't do shit to fix anything

I love survival games but I'm getting really fucking tired of all these early access clones that devs shit out and do nothing with. Planet Explorers, admittedly, looked like a cool and unique concept but it's so clunky that it's absolutely un-playable and it looks like fucking WoW.
>>
>>321667417
Very similar to Grav and a few others. I kind of wish all of these experimental survival crafting devs would get together and actually finish some thing .
>>
>>321666314
Do you play this game to cycle through the menus to literally just keep on staying alive in the same area
Because that would bore me to fucking tears
Sure you're surviving in a survival game but I just don't think that's the whole point of the game

I'm not saying surviving is challenging or extremely exciting to do in this game, but if you're not even interested in exploring the several areas the game has made available to you and sit around staying alive for the sake of staying alive I really can't say anything else to you

Have you tried playing on hard? The wolves are actually pretty aggressive when not on normal or easy

Also what the fuck is
>You mean moving a slider for how many hours you want the game to automatically search for wood for you?
supposed to mean? How does the game automatically gather firewood for you?
>>
>>321667417
>she

serves you right faggot
>>
>>321666876

Yeah, I normally start my runs looking for a rifle, to fuel my /k/-related innawoods fantasies. After that it's all about how much meat I can get per round.

It sounds like this guy is a total casual, and probably smells bad too.
>>
>>321667160
So, you're not admitting that you're just making shit up and haven't actually played the game on anything but casual?

Without the rifle all you can do is defend yourself, which even with master-autism button mashing will still leave you with injuries. The wolf can immediately return to attack you again before you can heal, and usually does. You can kill a wolf this way from it bleeding out, but you usually have to go find it's corpse.

On casual the wolves will generally run away from you and do less damage. On any higher difficulty it's an extremely dangerous move.
>>
File: 1354583345183.jpg (16 KB, 187x188) Image search: [Google]
1354583345183.jpg
16 KB, 187x188
>>321667606
I don't know if it's that they run out of steam to keep working on a hugely ambitious project or that they realize they can basically just walk away with the money they made and do nothing while claiming it's still in alpha forever.

I really wish it was just the former, but I guess I'm a cynical dick and doubt it.
>>
>>321660083
I bought Don't Starve on my Vita and it was fine but I just couldn't survive all that long. Longest was 25 days. I then looked up guides on surviving but it seems as though you'll keep surviving only until you get overwhelmed by hounds or some other creature. It really put me off and I haven't touched it since.
>>
I have 250+ hours in Ark and this was before the survival of the fittest thing came out. Haven't played it much since that came out but the devs always seem to working on it.
>>
>>321669182
Do you even armor and traps?
>>
>>321669182
The game is called Don't Starve, what else were you really expecting? The only point is to last as long as possible, like all survival games. 25 days isn't that long. Did you even get to winter?
The game gets increasingly more and more difficult but you also have more and more shit to use against the environment.

The worst thing is the RoG DLC that makes it so a giant reindeer just comes and wrecks your camp second winter so you have to maintain multiple camps, preferably all installed with everything you could need in case of an emergency.

Fuck, I haven't played it in a while, maybe I'll play that today. Also, if you have a PC that isn't a complete toaster and a friend, Don't Starve Together is immensely more enjoyable.
>>
>>321669182
In Don't Starve there are actual objectives that you can do to beat the game, it isn't just about staying alive
Gather the strange machine parts and activate it to unlock a new level with challenges like permanent rain and such
Last I played was more than a year ago so things might've changed
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.