[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW who unironically think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: wowe.jpg (15 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
wowe.jpg
15 KB, 225x224
>there are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW who unironically think the Sonic Adventure series are better than the Genesis Sonic games
Why is this allowed?
>>
I'm very tempted to buy them on steam right now, but then I remember the shit controls and what a nightmare it would be to try and 100% them.
I just want a fun 3D platformer man.
>>
>>321640631
>Why is this allowed?
I want this meme to die.
>>
>>321641328
>I want this meme to die
I want the "I want this meme to die" meme to die
>>
>>321641252
I'd take a human life for my own Chao
>>
>>321641252
you're literally better finding a dreamcast version - the controls are tuned for that analogue stick
>>
>>321640631

"better" isn't the right word. I like both the adventure and genesis series but for different reasons
>>
>>321640631
because genesis sonic is mediocre while adventure is at least mildly enjoyable.
>>
>>321640631
Sadly some mothers drink while they're pregnant anon

Autism is real
>>
>Adventure 1/2 had the world-building, the Chao Garden, the difficult extra missions (for Sonic standards, anyway), the hubs, the side-games (kart racing etc.) and the "epic" moments (truck chase, Final Hazard, Perfect Chaos)
>Genesis had the correct physics, the based branching level layouts, the timeless visuals, the Special Stages, the multiple character system done right, the level-gimmick/enemy variety, and better replayability/speedrun potential
>Both had fucking awesome music
How SEGA haven't just taken the best parts of both eras and combined them into one supergame is beyond me. It's not even like they have incompetent developers - they just keep making retarded game design decisions and cutting corners in all the wrong places
>>
>>321642317
What is Sonic Generations then?
>>
>>321642317
>the hubs
seriously?
>>
>>321640631
All I miss from the SA series is the Chao Gardens.

They were so much fun. I would pay for a Chao Garden game if it had a reasonable price tag.
>>
>>321642437

Only issue is that for whatever reason they still can't get the physics right for 2D. Other than that, yes, Generations is a god tier sonic game, however the team at this point are only capable of using nostalgia to sell games.
>>
>>321640631
Is there? I've not heard this.
At least come up with a better excuse for a Sonic hate thread.
>>
>>321642437
Sonic Generations is decent, but it has its own set of problems instead

It fixes the Unleashed day gameplay to be near perfect. However, the Classic Sonic gameplay is a half-assed approximation of the old-school gameplay, with simple things like springs being completely off-base. Both of these gameplay styles are solid though, nothing to turn your nose up at.

Unfortunately, some of the latter levels in the game have needlessly frustrating level design, like Planet Wisp (classic or modern). Not difficult, just frustrating. Every boss in the game is shit, with Time Eater bordering on near-unplayable levels of shit, and all of the extra 'missions' in the game are complete ass-stench too, especially some of the character-based ones, like the Vector music one.
>>
File: 1448083568087.png (491 KB, 1024x505) Image search: [Google]
1448083568087.png
491 KB, 1024x505
>>321641381
I want all Memes to die
>>
>>321642532
The Chao Garden works as well as it does because it's a nice side-distraction tied into the main game. Chao Garden should come back, but it being it's own game would suck
>>
File: user2yoshihisahashimoto.jpg (13 KB, 320x214) Image search: [Google]
user2yoshihisahashimoto.jpg
13 KB, 320x214
Saviour of Sonic and Final Fantasy, where will he go next?

He also programmed the Chao Gardens in SA and SA2.
>>
>>321645137
>Saviour of Sonic
>Director: Sonic Unleashed
I dunno tbqh f.a.m
>>
>>321645456
Sonic unleashed is the best 3D sonic game, get over or kill yourself memer
>>
>>321645525
The daytime levels were cool. Shame about the rest of it

Colors > Unleashed any day
>>
>>321645770
The rest of it is great to you silly faggot

Colors is the shit one that only got popular because its on a nintendo.
>>
File: 1450198248359.png (635 KB, 519x537) Image search: [Google]
1450198248359.png
635 KB, 519x537
>>321645876
alright, i'll pull up a chair and give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just baiting. convince me why sonic unleashed is a masterpiece and colors is shit
>>
>>321645770
Hashimoto wasn't involved in the design of the night-time sections. But he designed the core gameplay style that Colours drew from Unleashed, so he still resides on his throne as saviour.
>>
>>321646374
Better levels
Better music
Better graphics
Better sense of speed
Hub worlds that are comfy
Painstakingly long day stages modeled by real world locations
Much better story and cutscenes
Replayability with exp and medals for exploring and speedrunning
DLC

All i remember from colors was act 1 of each world. Everything was some shitty gimmick act that lasted 30 seconds and had you spamming a wisp like a retard. Unsatisfying ending and cutscenes were just lame jokes because the writers got replaced. It is really not that good of a game and nowhere near as impressive, fun, or memorable as unleashed was.
>>
>>321640631
I think SA had a better design philosophy than the Genesis titles. The originals seem to like baiting you into going fast, and then punishing you for going fast. The limited screen space exacerbates this greatly, like you can only see five feet in front of you when you're moving 60 mph. I feel as if I'm constantly stubbing my toe unless I take a steadier pace, at which point I may as well be playing anything because what's the point of Sonic without the speed? SA1 was a much smoother and enjoyable experience. I don't even want to go as far as say Adventure is superior, just that I prefer it.
>>
>>321646930
>Hub worlds
>Painstakingly long stages
>real world locations
>the cutscenes (they were shit in both Colors and Unleashed, btw)
>The fucking medals
I don't see how any of these are positives, especially in the context of the Sonic franchise
>>
>>321649181
Because it displays effort (the first 4) and they didnt overstay their welcome but they werent barren level selectors like in colors and generations.

Medals are fun to collect and let you explore the levels. Its just a way bigger game than colors and generations combined and it shows. It feels like a full adventure rather than just average levels one after the other. Havent felt that sense of adventure since...well the adventure games.
>>
>>321640631
No one thinks that. But SA1 is most definitely superior to SA2, and I also prefer its open level design over the more straightforwardness of Generations.
>>
>>321648069
Sonic 1 hadn't yet gained it's footing, so it did feel like Green Hill Zone rused you into going fast only to throw chores like Marble Zone and Labyrinth at you. Sonic CD, likewise, went for a /very/ different design philosophy ("interesting" is the word I'd use - whether you consider that good or bad is up for debate).

With that being said, I don't think Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles really hold up to the criticisms you're giving them. They don't 'bait' you into going fast, they give you the option. The problem was that American marketing convinced you that this was what Sonic was all about. Sonic is a complex physics-based platformer, in which you get speed as a REWARD for knowing how to play the physics engine and more importantly, knowing level layouts (like NiGHTS, Sonic was a game designed for speedruns and replayability)

Sonic Adventure was definitely good though, for the Sonic stages at least. It was SA2 where they started shitting the bed design-wise, imo
>>
>>321648069
Sonic was never in a design perspective only about speed, at least the classics. The entire FASTEST THING ALIVE was all a marketing strategy to showcase that the Genesis could run fast paced games, same deal with the blast processing shit that ultimately meant nothing but worked in selling more of their consoles. The classics are about momentum and manipulation of the environment, the going fast part happens when you have memorized the stages well enough and it is indeed very satisfying once you blaze through a stage knowing every obstacle and using the terrain and physics to your advantage. You do have fast segments in the levels normally, but retaining that speed is where the challenge arises. Going into the classics with the mindset of GOTTA GO FAST is the wrong approach because that's not what they're truly about despite what the marketing has said. That said, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K create more of a harmony between the fast and the platforming. Sonic 1 doesn't know very well what it wants to be, and Sonic 2 fixes most of the issues the first one had and 3&K nearly perfected the formula.
>>
>>321649953
>>321650468
hivemind as fuck
>>
>there are people on /v/ right now who don't enjoy almost all of sonics games excluding 06, Genesis, Pinball party
You guys need to remove that stick up your ass.
>>
>>321651623
I would like pinball party if the tables werent recycled so badly and so bland. I really dont care for samba de amigo either.
>>
>>321640631
>people being entitled to their own opinion. This must be put to an end!!
>>
>>321651623
>wanting games that are fun, well-designed and true to the series is "having a stick up your ass"
lol ok

sometimes Sonicfags are literally worse than dedicated Nintendrones. Why would you accept shit like Black Knight and Shadow with open arms?
>>
>>321640631

Because its fun
>>
>>321645525
>unleashed
>good
>>
>>321652396
Same reason you accept consoles that are entire houses of shovelware like the Wii brand

Because were fans and sometimes fans do stupid things
>>
>there are people on /v/ who still somehow think the Adventure games were good
>>
>>321653624
It's selective nostalgia. Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2 did actually have a whole lot of genuinely good parts to them. If Sonic Adventure 2, for example was 30 Speed stages, instead of 10 speed/10 shooting/10 treasure hunt, all it'd need is some small camera and control tweaks and it'd be the best Sonic game this side of 1994.

The Genesis Sonic's were consistently good. The Dreamcast Sonic's were sporadically great and often really shitty. People tend to only remember the feeling of the great parts of the game
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.