[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want an RPG I can sink some serious hours into on PC. I got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: last airbender.jpg (29 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
last airbender.jpg
29 KB, 460x215
I want an RPG I can sink some serious hours into on PC.

I got pic related in humbledumble, is it any good? Any other worthy picks?
>>
It's great, don't listen to the idiots who say it's hard cause you grind a lot.

Anything can be beaten with proper strategy.
Not sure why would anyone even grind in the beginning.

Anyway, sidequests might get a bit tedious at some point but they give great rewards.
>>
>>321640015

dont grind, it scales like a fish.

ff8 on steroids tier level scaling.
>>
>>321640509
Boy, that sure took a while
>>
File: The Last Remnant - 15.jpg (326 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
The Last Remnant - 15.jpg
326 KB, 1920x1080
The Last Remnant is a bit of a polarizing one. You'll either really like it or really hate it, and it's hard to say which is more likely. It's pretty obtuse, often for no real reason, and a big part of the strategy comes down to managing the randomness of your characters' actions. The protagonist is also a fucking retard.

However it's also an extremely unique game mechanically, and can be very deep, engaging, and challenging if you can accept its eccentricities. It also has a great soundtrack, and thankfully the characters besides the protagonist are cool as hell. Personally I loved it and put nearly 150 hours in, but I can't guarantee you'll feel the same.
>>
File: legnthofSC.png (282 KB, 472x320) Image search: [Google]
legnthofSC.png
282 KB, 472x320
100% Go trails FC and SC. Fc was 30 hours, SC was 60 hours. AAA soundtrack and pure fun. Too hungover to type more. Pic related.
>>
I'm enjoying Tales of Zestiria right now. Pretty fun IMO
>>
When is the game getting difficult? I've only got a little after you unlock creating your own unions and it's currently a cakewalk
>>
Man, I bought The Last Remnant years ago and I finally got around to playing it earlier this year.

I sank about 80 hours into it. It's a damn good game. But it plays unlike any other JRPG I can think of and if you don't get into the battle system after a few hours you're probably never gonna enjoy it.
>>
>>321640509
>confirmed for playing it on console
Doesn't scale like that on PC version.
>>
Play Trails in the Sky. I just finished the second one and i feel dead inside because it's over.
>>
>>321640120
who ever said you grind a lot? everyone says if you grind TOO much, youre fucked
>>
File: 2015-11-19_00005.jpg (628 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-19_00005.jpg
628 KB, 1920x1080
Also adding another recommendation for Trails in the Sky.

First one is really slow-paced which might not be your thing, but they're incredible games that are pretty much a must-play if you like classic JRPGs.
>>
Has anyone played Pier Solar?
>>
File: 1448908504250.jpg (29 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
1448908504250.jpg
29 KB, 300x260
>>321641229
OP tried it, but story was fucking ludicrous.
I was cringing every cutscene, skipping them all after awhile. Never got around to finish it.
>>
>>321642541
Sure thing, Dave!
>>
>>321642594
My name contains 3 of the letters of the name you suggested. Can you guess?
>>
File: 1425376528722.jpg (88 KB, 706x720) Image search: [Google]
1425376528722.jpg
88 KB, 706x720
>>321642541
The series has been slipping for awhile, the older ones are still pretty fun though.
>>
File: 1450820216381.png (159 KB, 770x293) Image search: [Google]
1450820216381.png
159 KB, 770x293
>There are people in here right now that play JRPGs for the gameplay
>>
>>321642754
Eva
>>
>>321640015
Undertale

LITERALLY the best game.
>>
>>321642541

Tales can be pretty cringey in terms of story, especially the newer ones, and Zestiria's just not a great entry in the series in general. Combat is sometimes worth it anyway though, like in Xillia 2, and the older ones (Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia) are worth looking into if you don't mind some cliche storytelling at times.

Symphonia is coming out on Steam in early 2016 so it might be worth keeping an eye out for.
>>
Got it from the Squeenix Bundle.
I'm just at the beginning, finished one of the two locations given by Dave for quests.
Is there anything I should know in advance?
The Steam reviews told me to visit the wikia, but I don't really know what to look for.
>>
>>321643885
your class changes depending on skill usage, use too many items you might become a shitty scout.
>>
>>321644152
So far I've just been spamming the magic skills, and even got an upgrade to Spark2.
Is that at least a decent path to tread?
Not like I've gone very far yet, though.
>>
>>321644316
magic is really good as is most the classes. theres some pretty advanced classes that are hard to hit the requirements for without knowing them which is one of the things you might want to look at on the wiki after youve gotten some hours into the game.
>>
>>321644719
Thanks, anon.
I guess I should really read up on every little game mechanic.
>>
>>321641232
>1 hour into the game
>it's a cakewalk
The modern gamer, you probably have 10 hours in what should have taken you 1/10 of the time to reach, pathetic.
>>
>>321644316

Honestly you can beat the main game (ignoring optional bosses) on Normal without giving much of a fuck, and if you decide you really care you can usually fix your shit later. TLR is obtuse but people really oversell the difficulty. I have a friend who finished it just fine without understanding the class system or BR scaling at all, and only ever got stuck on one battle (the infamous Gates of Hell).

If you care though and you want a good class for Rush given that you're using a lot of magic, two of the best options would be Ninja and Warlock. Ninja is pretty easy, just use combat and magic more than items and have him dual-wield katanas, and he'll eventually become one. Warlock is basically having him git gud at all magic all the time, but the precise requirements to class change to it are trickier. Wiki that shit.
>>
>>321645090
Fuck off sperg. Speed runners are fucking autistic.
>>
>>321642826
It's longer than 5 letters :>
>>
>>321640015
I have 150 hours in it.
>>
>>321645168
I guess I just wanted to know more.
I'm considering 100%ing this game, if only because of how unique it is.
Thanks for the class advice too.
I'm looking at the wiki right now and it's all a mess to me, but that's probably because I need some sleep.
>>
>>321645450
you somehow extend doing 3 quests in a linear path at the start of the game to taking over an hour and im the austist?
>>
>>321645657
>I dun play duh gaem foost
No one is impressed.
>>
File: remnant.jpg (2 MB, 990x3130) Image search: [Google]
remnant.jpg
2 MB, 990x3130
came by to post this
>>
>>321645712
>the gaem to easy but i play 1 hour wurf of it
everyone is laughing
>>
>>321645616

Yeah, if you want to 100% it looking at the wiki can be useful/interesting, although even with the help it can be a little on the confusing side.

I basically 100% it as well, although I did admittedly skip the "collect bear asses" type guild quests and only did the ones that involved cool optional bosses and shit. It was a lot of fun, and there's a certain amount of satisfaction to gitting gud at a game with such unique and obtuse mechanics.
>>
>>321645934
just getting Rush and the others to level up the correct classes you want is a massive fucking pain in the ass especially if you want to do the optional bosses at the end
>>
>>321640015
>i bought this game already
>is it good?
>>
Just follow this
http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_Walkthrough_of_Side_Quests_in_Chronological_Order
For all the side quests
Don't do uneccessary grinding. Just do these side quests then the story quests
>>
>>321640015
really good after the first maybe 4 hours then the mc becomes more bearable and the combat becomes more strategic

>>321646562
nigga its a humble bundle title he got it with several other titles
>>
How many people am I going to get?
I need to know for autismal planning in advance.
Does Rush ever stop being annoying?
>>
>>321646441

I got lucky and fell kinda ass-backwards into having Rush and Emmy become Ninjas and David become an Assassin, which are all pretty great. All I had to do was grind Rush's magic up a bit. I also went out of my way to make Wyngale a Warlock which was a bit annoying.

Fortunately even on the hardest of the optional bosses the Enlightened Seven can go choke on a bag of cocks, Jesus Christ class only really matters for whoever is leading each union, so you only need to worry about it for 4-5 characters.
>>
>>321646871
>How many people am I going to get?

A ton.
>>
>>321646871
More than your party cap
>>
>>321646871

Rush is always a 'tard. It's better if you pretend David is the main character because he's a fucking baller even if he looks like a colourblind Teedus in an eyepatch.

You'll get a fuckton of unique party members over the course of the game, trying to plan that shit out in advance is futile and a bit pointless. You will only ever be able to have a maximum of 18 in your active party though.
>>
>>321646898
Well yeah the leader being a jesus smiter is good but spending turns reviving the dead is a pain in the ass so having them be viable is kind of necessary especially if you do the fully unlocked final boss. HOLY FUCK THAT FIGHT IS LITERALLY REVIVE ALL YOUR DEAD AND PRAY HE DOESN'T RAPE YOU HARDER.
>>
>>321647086
nah by the end i actually liked rush he becomes more of a bro and david becomes like that creepy older brother who won't leave you alone
>>
>>321640015
No it's pretty shit, even for a JRPG

Sure, the combat system is unique, but there are so many design flaws in the mechanics and gameplay which ruins the few good things about it

Also the story is bare-bones and boring

Trust me, I played it for 100+ hours
>>
>>321647186

Keeping them alive is more about stats/healing than classes though. The big class benefits (like instant kill resistance, bonuses to certain arts/weapon types/stances, special deadlock rules, etc) extend to the entire union if the leader is a certain class.

Try fighting the Enlightened Conqueror, he was a DLC boss on console that you can fight as a hidden guild quest on PC. He's like that version of the final boss with less health, but way stronger and he spams those overpowered full-party assrape attacks way, way more. I won with only Emmy's union left alive, and that was only because she lucked out and triggered Hundred Flowers just before he would've killed them all.
>>
>>321640015
fallout 3, nv, 4
dragon age
trails series
tales series
nepnep series
>>
>>321641380
>Doesn't scale like that on PC version.
Not who you quoted but really? I played it on console when I was away from home, now that I'm home wanted to play again but remembered grinding fucking me over. how much different is it on pc?
>>
>>321648264
the scaling is LESS brutal but it does still fuck you over grinding
>>
Divinity Anthology
Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 bundle

That's over 1000 hours of gameplay for about 7 bucks
>>
>>321648264

It can still make things harder but there's a limit to how much it can fuck you over.

In general the PC version is much better than the console version in terms of game balance, and it also has some minor additional shit. If you're thinking of playing it again I'd strongly suggest the PC version as it's pretty much an improvement across the board. It's the refined version that was supposed to come out on PS3 but never did.
>>
I got the game in the bundle too and I finally started it about a month and a half ago. Just specialize your units into either magic or physical for a decently easy time. Dying too much to bosses? Make fewer bigger groups. Dying too much to groups? Make more smaller groups (no less than three). Game's pretty fun, you should be able to easily tell which enemies to just avoid and which characters too drop. Only use the Union Leaders when you can, other than a few rare outstanding units who hold out till about 2nd disc time.

Found it quite enjoyable.
>>
File: Disgaea PC.jpg (40 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
Disgaea PC.jpg
40 KB, 460x215
>>321640015
>I want an RPG I can sink some serious hours into on PC.
this
>>
File: 1448923739115.png (68 KB, 173x202) Image search: [Google]
1448923739115.png
68 KB, 173x202
>>321645168
>tfw you luck out vs gates of hell and all his aoes only ever hit one person
>>
>>321640015
Memes aside, you can try FF13. Normally your first playthrough is about 70-80 hours long, but there's a lot more to be done.

Also, emulators. Dragon Quest 7 is long as fuck.
>>
>>321648954
Ok, OP was thinking about this, but I have no knowledge of the series (since OP never owned a console in his life). I know it amassed a very dedicated fan base and that's it.

Can you or someone tell me unironically whether or not it's a worthwhile purchase?
>>
>>321649890
5 sequels and several GOTY year awards for the original (which the PC version is a port of) and you're asking whether or not it's worthwhile?
>>
The game is a bit weird. Idk what but something about the art style or the voice acting really threw me off. Character's are also meh.
>>
>>321649890
Story wise, Disgaea 1 is probably the best of the bunch. If you like JRPGs, you'll probably love it.

Game wise, it's a strategy RPG where grinding is the primary point of the gameplay but they managed to make the grinding actually fun. Think Civ* or Cookie Clicker or one of the other "just one more turn" games, where your next level, next new weapon / spell, next unlocked class, etc. is just around the corner. Battles individually are fun and quick as well.

* Fuck, if they ever managed to combine Civilization and Disgaea, I'd probably never leave my house again.
>>
>>321642813
Well, what else do they have?
Don't tell me you enjoy the story, graphics and characters over it.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.