[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, is it good or what? People recommend it but it has a bunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92
File: dd.jpg (58 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
dd.jpg
58 KB, 460x215
So, is it good or what? People recommend it but it has a bunch of negative reviews on steam
>>
>>321636454
The negative reviews are from babbies that can't bend the RNG to their own will.

Its a solid game, just expect a few A LOT 'Fuck you' moments
>>
>>321636654

>this game is good even though at times it's fundamentally broken and literally unwinnable

Oh. Okay then.
>>
>>321636454
Started good and got patched to shit.
>>
File: 1304689415177.jpg (49 KB, 413x565) Image search: [Google]
1304689415177.jpg
49 KB, 413x565
>>321637192
>Decide to play it for the first time in months
>They added bodies
>Have to destroy them for enemies to move up
>>
>>321636763
Any mechanic can be worked around, its all about preparation, team setup and rolling the dice.

You're not gonna get handed everything on a silver platter, you will lose your A team, and your B team, but that's why you have team C, D, and E in reserves.

For instance, one of the bosses will steal one of your members and cook him/her until they reach death's door status, then it will kick them out and take another one next turn.

The usual first line of thought is "I gotta rescue him/her!".
So you do it, you get your half cooked member back at half health and you have an angry boss who will aoe hit you, and the next turn will pick another member, so much for the rescue effort and you didn't even scratch the boss due to saving the member.

Now you think, "I should break the cauldron that cooks them!", so you do, guess what, the boss has an infinite supply of them and smacks down another one if it breaks.

So you have to work around this by letting one of your members cook and focus on the boss, best way of doing it is to inflict massive amounts of bleed status which will eventually kill the boss in like 5 turns if you make a bleed focused team.

So the first time around at this boss you would most likely die horrribly, and be forced to retreat.
The game even tells you that you most likely won't win every battle and running away is sometimes required to rethink your strategies.

All in all, don't be a little whiny cunt that can't strategize and learn that you can't win every encounter by default.
>>
>>321637305
>Added new mechanics that some people might find really annoying like corpses and heart attacks
>Added options to opt out of said new annoying mechanics
There you go
>>
>>321636454
It has RNG that can get annoying, but it's not FTL-tier where you can do everything right and still lose.
>>
>>321637437
then why add them in the first place if ts just a fuck you to the player?
>>
>not dankest dungeon

They dun goofed
>>
>early access
lol no
>>
From what I understand the devs introduced some new mechanics that didn't please a lot of people but you can turn these things off anyway?
>>
>>321638059
Anon, some of us are masochistic fucks to whom overcoming difficulty us pure ecstasy.
>>
>>321638139
>I did not rename the desktop icon
>>
>>321638059
The corpse mechanic opens up a lot of doors for different builds and team compositions.

The heart attack mechanic is there for added optional difficulty for those that find the game too easy.
>>
>>321636654
Thats not true. People bitch because of "stalling" patch that forces you to make aggro teams and makes tanks and healers underpowered
>>
File: 20060506.jpg (104 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
20060506.jpg
104 KB, 595x842
why is a team made up from 4 abominations the best strategy
>>
File: 1450138173717.png (253 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1450138173717.png
253 KB, 600x450
Haven't played since February but it seems like they just made the game harder in the last 10 months. Why? I thought it was hard enough to begin with.
>>
The central emotion of the game is STRESS.

If you like that in your games, if tension and terror, on a mechanics everyone is going to die level, then go for it. If that doesnt appeal to you, dont even try. I like tension, I like Rogue-likes, but this is just ratcheted way too high for my personal comfort zone.
>>
File: hellion.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hellion.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
The art and sound design work like a charm, and the hopeless atmosphere is thick.
There's RNG, but the game is best described as making the best out of a bad situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzozKEl_r7s
>>
>>321636454
The negative reviews are there because the devs keep adding stuff without proper balancing just for the sake of making the game harder
>>
HOW QUICKLY THE TIDE TURNS
>>
>>321639749
Sounds like GOTY.
>>
>Early Access
>>
>>321636654
I'm kind of displeased with the game because they made big positive changes without thinking through it or balancing at all which made those big positive changes extremely detrimental to te game. They could've improved it so much with their ideas but they just added stuff without consideration.
>>
>>321636454

Nah, the game is extremely shallow and suffers from the worst form of RNG because you have absolutely no control over most of it.

People will say it's hard, but really it's just tedious,
>>
>>321640000
I'm sure that 6 months after launch they will finish fixing all the shit this game has.
>>
>>321638397
This, desu. Corpses are actually useful for snipers and they aren't that hard to plan around.
>>
File: W0w.jpg (237 KB, 1100x1380) Image search: [Google]
W0w.jpg
237 KB, 1100x1380
It's an OK game that was ruined in the last few updates since you can't manipulate RNG in your favor anymore. It becomes unfair at some points, and others you just steamroll.

I'd wait until release.

>>321640000
Checked
>>
PIRATE IT FOR KEKS SAKE
>>
>>321640653
I bought it, played it for about 20 minutes, then I realized "I'm poor, why am I wasting money on this?" and refunded it.

I'll pirate it when I want to play it eventually.
>>
I've really enjoyed it. I've never had trouble with the heart attack mechanic and I like the corpses. A big fan of the aesthetic.
>>
>>321640823
>Buy it on sale
>Play for an hour
>Realise the RNG is pretty bullshit
>Refunded

First game I've refunded. I'll check it out again when the full game is out
>>
>>321636454
People got annoyed when some of the changes made to appease the difficulty autists actively made the game worse

Corpses especially, they're an awful anti-player mechanic. An obstacle which just makes fights last longer; there's no enjoyment to be had in clearing corpses whilst the last enemy spams stress effects on you, there's no interesting decision to be made to resolve the situation.
Closest thing to actual "artificial difficulty" I've seen in a game of late

Devs then added in options to disable them so you can just skip this bullshit

It's still a very good game, it's just that the corpse controversy absolutely demonstrated a failing of early access.
>>
Why do people hate corpses so much? Aren't there skills that get rid of them?
>>
>>321641280
If you can't target the last enemy at the back, there's something wrong with your party composition but having the option is always a positive.
>>
>>321641280
Pissed me off when one of my people died and didn't leave a corpse.
I expected the same treatment, at least.
>>
>>321641280
As someone who started playing after corpses were added, I never really found them anti-player or just a shitty obstacle to drag shit out.

When I make my party, I make sure I have members to attack at all 4 positions. Occultists with pull, archers with bola, etc.
I've actually had more problems when there are no corpses at all on the field, because not all of my party can reach them, or even the most effective ones. Nevermind how great it is to send a heavy hitter to the back, kill the ones in front, and just pepper them with ranged and DoTs.

Did people used to just run with full parties who could only hit the front 2 positions or something? That's the only case I can imagine for corpses being shit on so much.
>>
>>321641596
Yep, there's plenty of corpse-clearing abilities.
>>
>>321641650
they do, don't they?
i thought they just followed the same logic as enemies. if they die of a damage over time debuff or a critical, you don't get one just like the enemy won't.
>>
>>321641596
I just hate the concept of corpses. I can deal with them, I just don't find the mechanic fun or immersive.
>>
>>321636454
Just play it for an hour then get a refund

You literally will play everything the game has to offer in the first 20 tho.
>>
>>321641280
>People got annoyed when some of the changes made to appease the difficulty autists actively made the game worse
I noticed they nerfed the shit out of hellions to the point they just aren't worth having around anymore.
Every attack they have seems to debuff them to the point of uselessness.

Then they go and add into those man-at-arms who are pretty much the best of several classes rolled into one.
>>
How to win at Darkest Dungeons:
Step 1:
Pirate it, if you forget this step you've already lost
Step 2:
Disable corpses and heart attacks
Step 3:
Git fucking gud
Step 4:
???
Step 5:
Win
>>
File: gangster.jpg (129 KB, 460x346) Image search: [Google]
gangster.jpg
129 KB, 460x346
>>321637370
i like you
>>
>>321642301
Step4:
If you update the game or get a updated version, remember to disable whatever else they add.
>>
>>321637305
>Has to destroy bodies to move enemies forward
>He doesn't have any move skills
This is why the game gets negative reviews, many of the punishments from the game can be easily avoided/negated but people don't learn from experience or explore alternatives unless a giant tooltip tells them to use their initiative.
>>
>>321638494
The stalling only happens when there is one enemy left and I understand why they did that. Back when I used to play I'd stun lock the last enemy and heal and stress heal my team back to full.
>>
>>321642270
Yeah it's annoying, a lot of the real early classes got properly rebalanced around the content that was in the game then

But then they added harder content and new classes that are insanely fucking powerful

Frontliners got hit the most, Hellion-Leper has gone from an amazing setup to the worst possible
>>
All RNG based games are garbage. RNG is an inherently flawed game design choice.
>>
Occultist, Arbalest, Bounty Hunter, Man-At-Arms best team.

Sub in Houndmaster for when you need to fuck up a boss royally.
>>
>>321642663
>Arbalest

Really? What the hell do you need pedro for? Do you not believe in dealing damage?
>>
>>321642638
Nyet, RNG based games are only garbage when the game puts you in situations where you have no option but to lose.

The hallmark of a good one is when there's players who go through several runs, levels or whatever without losing. E.g. Winstreaks in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
>>
>>321642663
What would you do with that team? Spend the whole first turn marking every enemy?
>>
m8, I have no problem with RNG bullshit. I've played hundreds of hours of FTL, succesfully completed xcom long war impossible, etc.

But this game is something else. It's so much RNG it becomes extremely tedious and I quickly lost the will to go on.
>>
>>321642793
>implying an arbalest at the back with the proper items doesnt deal sick dipps
baka desu senpai
>>
>>321643229
Rallying flare is a fucking wonderful skill as well.
>>
File: butthurt.gif (3 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.gif
3 MB, 360x360
>>321643020
That is just because you are meant to play the same file for hours. With games like FTL you are done the game in 40 minutes or if something goes wrong you just restart. With darkest dungeons you are suppose to keep moving forward when someone dies or something bad happens. And you play for so long that something catastrophic is bound to happen to all your beloved characters. Casuals just can't handle loss and that is basically what this game is, dealing with hopeless situations. But babbies get scared, they say "this game is just bad! it made me feel bad so it must be bad!!! :'(" and they leave a bad review and never play it again.

Pic is of all the queers after the game got patched of all it's exploitable shit.
>>
>>321638792
abominations are legit broken
I 2 shot the wizend hag with the second crit being a 47 crit after using the 25% + damage campfire skill.
>>
>>321643450
second hit*
>>
>>321643426
>With darkest dungeons you are suppose to keep moving forward when someone dies or something bad happens. And you play for so long that something catastrophic is bound to happen to all your beloved characters

You just described xcom in a nutshell there.
>>
File: 1387583257997.jpg (107 KB, 971x489) Image search: [Google]
1387583257997.jpg
107 KB, 971x489
Have you ever played X-com on ironman? If so, hypothetical situation: Imagine making sound tactical moves, having good troops and equipment and a group of experienced men. Then all of a sudden a sectoid gets a lucky shot and crits one of your best men to death, and another man panics and acts like a moron and gets killed too.

If you decide to pull your men back to the Skyranger and cut your losses to fight on another day, or grit your teeth, accept the risk, and have your brave soldiers fight on, you'll probably love DD.

If you ragequit and start posting on /v/ about how X-com is literally RNG the game and completely unfair and how sectoids need to be nerfed and blah blah blah, then you've summed up most of the bad reviews and DD isn't for you.

tl;dr Shit will happen and that's part of the game, so be forewarned. Pic very related, a disclaimer that pops up before the title screen.
>>
>>321643426
Okay what the fuck is going on in that gif? what possible injury would prescribe the development and application o... whatever the fuck that is? Fuck soccer players man, honestly, just get the fuck up and walk it off like everyone else has in the historuy of human kind. Fucking ice mist cannon for grass burn, honestly, fuck.
>>
The game literally opens by saying that its gonna fuck you straight in the ass and you should just accept it

I'm steadily reaching the ending and my graveyard is rapidly reaching 9/11 memorium levels of dead motherfuckers

Also fuck vestels this game relies way too much on them for long and sometimes even medium dungeons
>>
>>321643609
This, X-Com and DD are both gambling made into a playable vidya form.

If you're a gambler, you'll like this game.
>>
Is it still early access?
If so, then fuck it, it's not worth it.
>>
>>321642663

>No Plague Doctor
>Not blighting the shit out of enemies until they lose all their health in a couple turns.
>>
>>321643426
Why is it the biggest defence I see for games like this is "GIT GUD" instead of legit counter arguments or an actual defence?
>>
>>321636454
Once they resolve that game's framerate problems and optimize it for budget builds (toaster laptop here), I'll return to it. But the fact that it's early access is pretty noticeably obvious.
>>
>>321643791

Because you should literally git gud and not rage quit because you lost your favorite crusader that you named after your dog because you didnt bring enough food because bought him hilariously overpriced trinkets
>>
>>321643791
Because there are no legit criticisms. "I died" isn't a criticism. I've shitposted on here about blight town and stuff, but after I got through it when I look back it didnt seem that bad, I just had to get through it.
>>
>>321643786
Plague Waifu is great for Ruins and Coves, I'll admit.
>>
>>321643609
>Imagine making sound tactical moves

The problem with DD is that there are no tactical moves to make because it uses a JRPG battle system
>>
>>321643609
Shit game type desu. RNG is only good in fast paced roguelikes or FTL. Longer games where you invest in character levels that matter yet could get fucked at the roll of a die is shit tier.
>>
>>321643609
I like this post, too many people don't appreciate how tense a game can get when you're trying desperately to recover from a bad situation.
>>
File: fuck yo couch nigga.gif (898 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
fuck yo couch nigga.gif
898 KB, 500x375
>>321644134

Well, the placement of your heroes matters atleast.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (72 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
72 KB, 500x313
Grave Robber the second best girl next to Plague Doctor.
>>
File: everything i say is right.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
everything i say is right.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>321636454
>So, is it good or what? People recommend it but it has a bunch of negative reviews on steam

Its a very good game, really intense and entertaining.
It is also not done yet, it will be another month or so until the official release.
Add it to your wishlist and get it then. I know I stopped playing about a month ago and will resume when it releases, starting a new save.
>>
>>321644237
Yeah that's why everyone thinks jagged alliance 2 and ufo suck

oh
>>
>>321644328

it matters but there's no strategy to it
>>
>>321644293
You couldn't really recover from a bad situation in XCOM, though. One false step and you would fall behind. It's a constant race against the aliens and if you fall behind, you'll never catch up. Every loss is permanent.

In DD, the losses don't really mean anything. There's an infinite number of replacement adventurers. If you lose your whole roster, no big deal. Just hire some more and buy them all the armour and skills they need. If you ran out of money, they just start sacrificing hirelings for quick cash.
>>
>>321636454

I liked it but grew bored really, really fast. Its just one big repetitive single-player grindfest. If I didnt know better I would have guessed that it was an iOS/Android port based solely on the fact theres nothing to it but grind.
>>
>>321644428
Plague doctor isnt a girl...

I always give him olde german names like Dietrich.
>>
>>321644237
>Longer games where you invest in character levels that matter yet could get fucked at the roll of a die is shit tier.

Exactly. This is why XCOM, all the D&D games, every game with random generated maps and every game with a dodge/critical strike mechanic are all unredeemable garbage and you are the president of mankind.
>>
>>321643847
It's a game with 2d animation

why the fuck would you want high framerate? It'd look retarded
>>
>>321644659
>Plague doctor isnt a girl...
Wrong.
Also, why'd you have an ellipsis, what was omitted from your post?
>>
>>321644659
>Plague doctor isnt a girl...

Most fanart disagrees.
>>
>>321644570

The entire game is buildt on strategy from team composition to how you're gonna deal with encounters as efficiently as possible

In the end its a crisis management game but saying there's no strategy involved is like saying fighting games takes no skill because combos require muscle memory
>>
>>321644865
Poison isn't a dude but most fanart disagrees there. What's your point?
>>
File: angrydooting.gif (1021 KB, 375x212) Image search: [Google]
angrydooting.gif
1021 KB, 375x212
From the perspective of someone who's only been playing it a few days since christmas, the absolute most glaring problem I have with Darkest Dungeon is that it feels like it's only as fun as it WANTS to be. I'll have runs where things come down to the wire but I can pull a win out and feel like I earned it. Other times, enemies will get 4 crits, everyone who reaches Death's Door will get deathblowed by a bleed/blight the next turn, the borderline random order in which characters seem to take turns goes against me before i can do anything, and the game has so many ways it can use the RNG to just refuse to be remotely enjoyable.

The aesthetic is brilliant, grimdark and oppressive without feeling edgy, the narrator is sexy as fuck, and the gameplay is exactly as visceral and brutal as it needs to be, but sometimes the game will just flip on its rape switch and it makes me feel like it doesn't WANT me playing it.
>>
>>321645007
Anon doesn't want to admit he was rubbing one out to a guy all along.
>>
How can people say you can blend the rng to your favor early on? I've lost about 6 teams by the same thing, I will be doing fine and thne I get into a fight where I simply cannot win due to missing often and the enemy scrambling my units.
>>
>>321637305
Corpses are great, what are you talking about?
I've had more positives outcomes with corpses on.
>>
>>321645203
>the narrator is sexy as fuck
This. That guy fucking sells it, alone.
>>
File: 14508598030400.gif (255 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
14508598030400.gif
255 KB, 500x500
>>
>>321645407
>I've had more positives outcomes with corpses on.
such as?
>>
>>321645203

The game boots up telling you to bite the pillow but its understandable that it can get annoying for some.

I think you just need to disconnect yourself from your characters cus i got through one of the later bosses with 1 guy at deaths door and i was fuckin ecstatic. If you lose your entire team its not game over and if you win with just 1 guy its still a win
>>
>>321645708

Not that guy but you can push fuckers behind the corpses with abilities like the abomonition's slam to reduce their damage output
>>
>>321645942
where does it say putting people further back makes them do less damage?
>>
>>321645763
I understand that i shouldn't get too attached to my heroes, but it just feels like the game exploits its "anyone can die anytime" way too much. It just makes me feel like it's physically impossible to make progress without sacrificing a goat before every mission, because my Resolve Level 2 heroes could run into a miniboss with a 0.5% chance of spawning without any indication or warning that i've done something that could bring a 90 health lifedraining raid boss upon me before i've even unlocked a single official boss yet.
>>
>>321644969
And the strategy element is minimal because it all boils down to team composition and RNG, with the actual dungeon spelunking having zero tactical depth because of the battle system (doesn't help that the dungeons are just a series of corridors where the only variation comes from whether you'll have to backtrack or not)

and it fails on being a good crisis management game because most of the crises are completely independent of what the player is doing.

And the way you deal with them usually involves grinding
>>
>>321645708

>An enemy is in a position that my back row can kill it without going on to another turn
>Mushrooms can't use escape cloud to cause blight on my team
>Brigand can't use point blank shot

Mostly moves that would fuck my team over if a certain enemy was in the front. Use and abuse the corpses.
>>
>>321646025

Motherfucker if you havent figured that out on your own you really shouldnt be playing this game

an example is the guys that use rend for the old gods, if you put them at position 3 or 4 they'll use stumbling slash instead that doesnt inflict bleed
>>
File: 1424594932161.gif (836 KB, 317x320) Image search: [Google]
1424594932161.gif
836 KB, 317x320
>>321642301
>tells you to disable corpses and H. attacks
>tells you to git gud
>>
File: 1419022178915.gif (864 KB, 160x270) Image search: [Google]
1419022178915.gif
864 KB, 160x270
>>321646025
>these are the people that are complaining about the game
>>
>>321644659
but its got TITS
>>
>>321645624
That tide is turning pretty quickly.
>>
Give me an unstoppable team comp /v/.
>>
File: 1450501602065.gif (257 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450501602065.gif
257 KB, 500x500
>>321645203

Flip on the rape switch made me smile.

Sometimes I'll have two or three runs where nothing goes right... I run as soon as I have the money for a new expedition when my people get low on health. I'm mostly level 6 and I've cleared out all the easy and medium bosses, and I have 4 dead so far (Three hellions and Renault. Yes, I am ashamed, but still, not too bad numbers wise.)

Speaking of hellions, they are still good, I use them with slice, let it bleed, iron swan, and your choice of 4th. It's great having a front liner who can hit anywhere.

>>321644134
Acquire Competence
>>
>>321645249
>>321645007
>>321644865
>>321644659
In-game Plague Doctor has titties.
>>
>hurr durr corpses
>blight damage stacks and leave no corpse
>blood damage stacks and leave no corpse
>crits leave no corpse
>pulling and shuffling exist
>Plague Doctor can remove ALL OF THEM with a single, damage dealing skill. Which also shuffle the target
>9 times out of 10, corpses break the necromancer boss fight.

Also

>hurr durr heart attacks
You are facing eldritch horrors, armies of madness and nightmarish creatures. Getting plagues, facing death every second of your mission.
Not only you have all the reasons TO have one, it makes stress managing a lot more important.
>>
>>321646292
>Pulling the slot machines really hard makes me a better player than you
Ok kid
>>
>>321645529
>>321645203

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0-NYlEL_bQ&list=PLy1RoYlej6xWqRRci7K_OuQWa-7UgG0uo
>>
>>321646439
>Acquire Competence

> git gud at a RNG simulator
>>
So what's the most OP team now. I haven't played since 4 Hellions 0 torch
>>
>>321646576
gitgud
>>
Te ling people to just git gud isn't doing a very good at selling the game you know?
>>
File: 1429673112649.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1429673112649.gif
2 MB, 500x500
artificial difficulty
>>
File: wtf.jpg (62 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
62 KB, 480x480
>>321637370
>this game is great
>it has a well-balanced and diverse set of mechanics that make it interesting and fun
>STACK BLEED YOU SHITTER STOP WHINING
>>
>>321646432
houndmaster/clown/crusader/crusader
>>
>>321646476
In-game plague doctor also has a description.
A doctor, researcher and alchemist who prefers to hang back, eating away at her foes with stacking damage-over-time abilities like toxic clouds & plague-filled grenades. She is equally effective in a support role, blinding and confusing foes while enhancing a party's survival with damage-increasing tonics, and remedies for bleed and blight effects.
>>
File: phone.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>try the orange missions for the first time with levels 3 guys
>literally every other hit the enemy does is a crit
what am i supposed to do
>>
>>321646696
The game is already RNG as it is, I'm having A LOT more fun than you.
>>
File: girl-magnifying-glass.jpg (34 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
girl-magnifying-glass.jpg
34 KB, 600x400
>>321646476
holy shit you're right
>>
>>321646951

Upgrade your guild and blacksmith, optimize your composition and git gud
>>
>>321646951
You're supposed to take it up the ass sometimes.

Deal with it.
>>
>>321647124
Take a drink every time somebody tells somebody to "git gud"
>>
File: safespace.png (115 KB, 780x350) Image search: [Google]
safespace.png
115 KB, 780x350
>>321646953
corpse-proof windows...
>>
>>321647205
Didn't mean to qoute.
>>
File: Shambler.png (812 KB, 1506x1078) Image search: [Google]
Shambler.png
812 KB, 1506x1078
>have more speed than the enemies
>they still play first

Also how do I stop running into this guy? I'm tired of getting raped.
>>
File: pass the controller bro.jpg (130 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
pass the controller bro.jpg
130 KB, 1600x1200
>>321647275
Well, you did.
Now it's something we all have to live with, anon.
>>
File: v.jpg (107 KB, 450x635) Image search: [Google]
v.jpg
107 KB, 450x635
>>321647235
>>
>>321647310
you walk past the altar?
>>
File: hopeless.jpg (61 KB, 646x387) Image search: [Google]
hopeless.jpg
61 KB, 646x387
>>321646715

We're mostly responding to the people saying there's no strategy or everything is pure RNG.

People who aren't very good at the game, in other words.
>>
>>321647310
it's based on Dice Rolls, I think the current system is D8?
>>
>>321647310

He only appears if things are totally dark IIRC, pack some torches and don't give any to the void altar.
>>
>>321647508
If there's only one strategy, that's just as good as none.
>>
File: 2015-12-27_00001.jpg (379 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-27_00001.jpg
379 KB, 1920x1080
wew lad
>>
>>321647489
Well that's cool but he still come as a random encounter without even summoning him. I don't know what triggers it.
>>
>>321636454
It's 2D XCOM
That should tell you everything.
>>
>>321646593
>The one time I accidentally clicked the Green Okay Button instead of the Shovel

Just fuck my shit up.
>>
I've played the game for 3 hours. Corpses and heart attacks on.

Are people seriously going in with the same team composition every single time or some shit?
>>
>>321646862
That was a strategy for 1 (one) boss, you retarded faggot.
But yeah I know you won't stop shitposting. It's all you good for.
>>
>>321647686
I haven't played this since the game first released in alpha. Is that a demon/werewolf? Demonwolf?
>>
>>321647640
yeah, try using the same strategy in all dungeons. Each dungeons are fundamentally different and encourage different party compositions
>>
>>321647310
Shambler always gets a surprise round. Also, like people have said, stay above 0 light.
>>
File: 1444419947786.jpg (186 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
1444419947786.jpg
186 KB, 1360x768
>>321639963
DEADLY IS THE WEAPON THAT CUTS ON IT'S OWN
>>
>>321647628
Oh it's probably this, I keep walking in the dark all the time.
>>
>>321647310
He randomly spawns when torch parameter is at zero. In order to avoid him, you should keep the torch lighted.
>>
>>321647790
>it's the only consistent strategy for most bosses
ftfy
>>
File: 1342110906196.png (159 KB, 435x419) Image search: [Google]
1342110906196.png
159 KB, 435x419
>>321647686

>those stress levels
>>
>>321647832
>spam bleed in the ones without undead
>spam blight in the ones with undead
wow, deep
>>
>>321646025
So you dont know shit about the game and you complain about it. That's /v/ alright.
>>
>>321637370
>and rolling the dice
Herein lies the only issue I have with it. When you roll that lucky and or great moment on your side you get to steamroll a battle, fight whatever. When the enemy does you get to reroll the fucking game.

RNG is fine, in most cases its great. This games RNG goes from good to terrible.
>>
>>321647640
yeah, try using the same strategy in all dungeons. Each dungeons are fundamentally different and encourage different party compositions

>>321647740
Of course not, even God-Tier classes like Houndmaster have their kryptonite, you can't fucking bring him to the Cove or the Ruins because you can't bleed nothing there.

>>321647951
Uh... what? Other than the Formless Flesh, DoTs aren't viable for most bosses
>>
>early access
>>
>>321647953
They'll go way down if they turn the abomination back
>>
>>321647951
There are 3 classes with boss killer buffs from camping. Bosses are the easiest part of the game since there are so many ways to bet them. You'd have to be a fucking RETARD to die.
>>
File: homer_consideration.jpg (109 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
homer_consideration.jpg
109 KB, 569x428
>>321647508
I'm not gonna be a tard and say that it's a pure RNG shitfest, but it definitely feels like some of the "sometimes you're gonna have to lose" is left COMPLETELY out of your control, and it feels like the game is trying to shoehorn that theme of making the best of bad situations, as if it's having a tantrum over you actually doing that. I'm expecting it to not feel fair sometimes, but on occasion it feels both unfair and literally unwinnable, and that's just not fun.
>>
>>321648012
>God-Tier classes like Houndmaster
I hate houndmaster, he's good but so boring
>>
>>321646951

Big difficulty spike when you go to orange and red. Upgrade your people, and be prepared to lose a few before you git used to the new enemies and the like. Go full light and run when you have enough to make a new expedition if your people get too low on life. Stick to the dungeons you feel most comfortable in. I usually go for medium length so I have a chance to heal and buff.

Hire some newbies and do low level runs if you can, that will give you gold to finance the big boys.

Eventually you'll have a few good runs and you'll have more resolve and lots of gold, and be used to the dirty new tricks the recolored jerks and new enemies use. Then things will be okay until the red missions...
>>
>>321646025
uh... you are using skills that juggle people around right? That's like the one way to fuck up most enemy compositions, bring their squishy guy up front and watch as their tank desperately tries to get back front.
>>
>>321636454
What are the chances of this dropping below 50% off on steam? should I wait a few days or pick it up now?
>>
>>321639963
>not writing only "HOW" and let others continue the line

one job, anon.
>>
>>321646953

How is corpses and heart attacks RNG? They are literally static and will always occur under specific circumstances.

If you are so shit you cannot build a composition that can deal with corpses then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
File: 1423965126190.png (220 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
1423965126190.png
220 KB, 500x372
People saying it's all RNG are full of shit, but sometimes the game can and will fuck you with a bad string of misses and enemy crits, and there's not a damn thing you can do about. I lost my entire main party of high level heroes this way, on an encounter just like any other and all of a sudden almost all of my progress disappeared.

Compare it to say, X-Com, where a single bad run of luck can at worst throw a wrinkle into your plans and force you to play catch up.
>>
>>321648152
It's Early Access, the price might even go up by the next sale because it'll hit full release
>>
>>321648152
Prices aren't going to go any lower than what they are right now.
>>
>>321648215
I like DD because RNG will never ruin your save

In xcom a party wipe can end a 20 hour game
>>
>>321648367
>In xcom a party wipe can end a 20 hour game

If you a have a fragile army yes. But a wipe that kills 2-3 off your best soldiers shouldn't end the game, as you should try to use fresh rookie fucks every mission.
>>
See, with XCOM, you can get bad RNG rolls but you can compensate for it by having a backup plan, or mitigating the RNG to the point where you will have a 100% chance to hit/kill an enemy (by positioning or with explosives) before it rapes your face. There are ways to deal with everything the game throws at you.

In DD, there is very little you can do in this manner. You will eat hits constantly and you will sooner or later get crit multiple times in a row with no way to avoid it whatsoever.
>>
>>321648154
DAZED
>>
File: boss2.png (134 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
boss2.png
134 KB, 512x448
>>321648478
Are you one of those people who never used the retreat function and would rather lose a party than bring them home, then quit the game?
>>
>>321647825
what it turns into is based on the son from the dunwich horror i think ( I read it a couple years ago so it might be foggy)
>>
File: 1433580424309.jpg (171 KB, 798x722) Image search: [Google]
1433580424309.jpg
171 KB, 798x722
>>
>>321648367
Not really. Assuming you split your top soldiers (you should, the game is actually balanced around it), you're never losing anything you can't easily replace. The only losable resource that can really kick you in the ass are Psionic soldiers, and if you're playing right then you need to get REALLY unlucky to actually lose one.
>>
>>321648527
REELING
>>
>>321648527
REELING
>>
>>321648152

Chances are low for now, since this is a sale on the early access version. When the actual game goes on sale in January I wouldn't expect a lot of sales to go past half off.

Maybe in like two years you'll be able to get it for 5 bucks.
>>
File: 1450867663816.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450867663816.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>>321648601
>tfw kill wilbur first
>>
File: 1448504132984.jpg (46 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1448504132984.jpg
46 KB, 300x300
The slow death, unforeseen, unforgiving.
>>
>>321648639
>>321648640
ABOUT
>>
File: 1428523079981[1].png (199 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1428523079981[1].png
199 KB, 600x450
>>321648640
>>321648639
ABOUND TOOL RAKE
>>
>>321648693
>>321648601
>Kill wilbur first

What happens if you kill him first?
>>
N O Q U A R T E R S
>>
>>321648821
>What happens if you kill Wilbur first?
You really wish you didn't kill Wilbur first.
>>
>>321648821
the pig king goes crazy and hits all of your party for like 15 damage each turn
>>
>>321648567
Being forced to abort a mission because the gameplay mechanics literally don't provide enough options even if you do everything right is a good thing to you?
>>
>>321648821
Death
>>
>>321648928
When the mechanics are designed around retreat being an option?

It's fine
>>
>>321648928
Retreating is a gameplay mechanic, you sack of shit. Its a tool that you can use to handle risk management.
Refusing to use this tool because you are too much of a tool yourself and then bitching is poor form.
>>
>>321648916
I really hope the devs don't hear me say this but I've always found it funny and counterproductive that Wilbur is actually holding the Pig King back.
>>
File: 365222[1].jpg (30 KB, 301x450) Image search: [Google]
365222[1].jpg
30 KB, 301x450
>tfw i was listening to the narrator before the dank meymeyz
Feels hipster, man.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMhYkkaR8HU
>>
File: interasting.jpg (208 KB, 674x1024) Image search: [Google]
interasting.jpg
208 KB, 674x1024
>"The game is hard"

>Stack 3 crusaders with holy lance and righteous judgement, along with 1 vestal

>Farm ruins endlessly farming money and resources

>Use the funds to build up a B & C team

Ez
>>
File: 1449578251853.jpg (59 KB, 449x444) Image search: [Google]
1449578251853.jpg
59 KB, 449x444
>>321648601
>2 shitty hits on a monster
>finish it off with a crit doing 2 times its health
>>
>>321649180
>occultist heals for 0
>hero doesnt resist the bleed
>deaths door succeeds on the first go

never happened, but i dread the moment
>>
File: 1433704564635.png (371 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1433704564635.png
371 KB, 878x900
>>321648928
>>
>>321647960
Did this game hurt you? Do you need to talk about it?
>>
>>321648928
I bet you leave a dungeon when one of your party members are on death's door and there is no way to heal them.
>>
>>321649180
>attack deals 7-14 dmg
>enemy has 8 hp
>attack deals 7 damage
Every time.
>>
>>321648991
>>321649029

> party members can die solely because the RNG doesn't like you
> just retreat and grind up another one :)

I mean, you can "mitigate" even complete wipes since you can't lose the game, but that doesn't make it good
>>
File: 1450444305278.png (69 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1450444305278.png
69 KB, 226x223
>>321649274
>maggots in a medium area giving you diseases and stunning you without fail every single hit
>>
>>321649274
Used to happen to me all the time back in the early builds

Death's Door seems a lot more generous these days
>>
Is Darkest Dungeon's "fanbase"(Dev team) the most defensive on /v/?

Your game is shit and full of bad game design, get over it.
>>
File: Darkest1.png (558 KB, 1024x573) Image search: [Google]
Darkest1.png
558 KB, 1024x573
>>321643426
Except not. The game is mostly just dice rolls with little to no tactical element. Whether you lose your healer to a lucky crit and die at the boss or not lose him and ace the boss because you rolled all crits on him is almost 100% rng.

I mean just look at the death´s door mechanic. You could have someone stay at death´s door throughout a whole boss fight not have him die or have him die at the very first attack. All rng. Same for "leveling up". Add to that the bad balacing of the classes.

Really, the game could be good if it was more tactical like Jagged Alliance 2 or Xcom but as it stands it´s more of a casino simulator than anything.
>>
>>321649640
What is Undertale.
>>
>>321636454
Who /Reynauld/ and /Dismas/ here?
>>
File: DarkestDungeon[1].png (698 KB, 686x580) Image search: [Google]
DarkestDungeon[1].png
698 KB, 686x580
>>321649495
Risk management is the oldest trick in the video game book, and one of the most loved ones. Mitigating risk, minimizing bad opportunities and maximizing good ones is a sure formula for interesting, intense, engaging and addicting gameplay.

I'd hate to be that guy, but get fucking good. I am sure that even if I mod in a change where all good rolls are rerolled again, so I can get many more poor ones, I'd still be able to progress. RISK MANAGEMENT. Manage that risk, fag. Stem the bleeding. Retreat if you must, and come back better prepared. Hold the line.
>>
>>321649029
Retreating also has a chance to fail.
>>
>>321649682
That's just a more popular game, percentage-wise there's way more defensive DD fans than Undertale fans.
>>
File: christian imageboard.jpg (221 KB, 799x594) Image search: [Google]
christian imageboard.jpg
221 KB, 799x594
>>321649640
>the most defensive
You mean responding to people who call it shit because they are bad at it or misunderstand it?
Probably. We really should switch to ignoring you.
>>
>>321649707
i change their names immediately

Helbrecht and Konrad
>>
>>321648928
not really a big problem considering that if you did well enough, you probably gathered more loot than what the quest rewards offer you.
>>
>>321649792
Game?
>>
File: fourplay.jpg (54 KB, 389x634) Image search: [Google]
fourplay.jpg
54 KB, 389x634
>>321649840
Its mostly RNG, you wouldnt like it ;^)
>>
File: despair.jpg (57 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
despair.jpg
57 KB, 919x720
>>321649707
They're dead
>>
>>321649707
During my first run I lost Dismas in the tutorial. I thought its scripted to go this way and only realized my mistake when I read about the game on /v/ a month later.
>>
>>321649902
I just saw the image while scrolling by DD is shitty
>>
>>321649640
If a game is known for being "hard" you can be guaranteed there will be fans deep throating the devs like it's going out of fashion and parroting GIT GUD at every opportunity
>>
>>321649717
Save for retreating, you can't mitigate risks AT ALL, faggot. You get hit constantly, you will get crit multiple times in a single fight and be in bad shape and there's nothing you can fucking do about it.

Compare this to games like xcom where you can throw smoke grenades to tip the balance in your favor, hunker down, rocket or grenade the fuckers, break line of sight or any other number of options.

You can do nothing but take it up the ass in DD. Stop defending poor game mechanics.
>>
>>321649654
Terrible argument. Poker is 100% RNG but you can still be pro at it. Just because something is random doesn't mean you can't calculate to put things in your favour.
>>
>>321636454
>So, is it good or what?
>Early Access
>is it good
What do you think?
>>
>>321649440
>enemy has 3 hp
>attack deals 3-10 dmg
>attack deals 10 dmg
Every time.
>>
>>321649640
As fucking infuriating the game can be sometimes I really enjoy it. Getting good rolls and wiping out enemies in 1 or 2 turns feels so good.

>>321649654
>get pic related in your team
>position the enemy team to your advantage and ruin their turns
Not our fault if you just use damage skills anon. Stunning helps a lot too.
>>
>>321650050
>>enemy has 3 hp
>>attack deals 3-10 dmg
>>attack deals 10 dmg
>Only when you're in top top shape and didn't need it
ftfy
>>
File: BountyHunter.png (366 KB, 800x671) Image search: [Google]
BountyHunter.png
366 KB, 800x671
>>321650060
Forgot my pic.
>>
>>321649993
>>321649902
>>321649792
Sealed Room Breed 2
>>
>>321649717
> Mitigating risk, minimizing bad opportunities and maximizing good ones is a sure formula for interesting, intense, engaging and addicting gameplay.

Are you fucking retarded?

Darkest Dungeon doesn't let you mitigate risk

Whether it's getting two crits on the same character followed by an AOE attack and a failed death's door roll, getting multiple hunger squares in a row, or just getting one of the really shitty negative quirks despite finishing the run at 0 stress there is absolutely nothing you can do about it other than grind some more to replace the resources you've lost.
>>
>>321643791
>Why is it the biggest defence I see for games like this is "GIT GUD" instead of legit counter arguments or an actual defence?
Because people literally can't defend bad game design, only attack opposing views or offer shitty excuses.

"Git gud"fags are the fat people of video games.
>>
>>321637370
> Punishing the player for being smart and rewarding them for having absolutely no strategy at all and just smashing their face into the boss

> Telling people that they're whiny cunts that can't strategize
>>
>People hating on RNG even though it can be manipulated

>>321650013
It releases in a couple weeks
>>
>>321650001
>Save for retreating, you can't mitigate risks AT ALL, faggot.

>what are items that give defense while limiting offense, or the opposite
>what is using the turn to buff or heal rather than dealing damage
>what are offensive or defensive party compositions

You are making choices all the time. You constantly make the decision to reduce negative outcomes, or increase positive outcomes. You are compensating and balancing, and thats the point. Thats the game. Thats where the fun is. You are trying to minmax, except you dont have enough points, so you are always lacking in some respect.
Thats what risk management is, and as stated earlier its the oldest trick in the book. Its the game mechanic thats been with us almost from the start, through roguelikes, RPGs, and in every genre of game.

And today some imbecile on /v/ who forgot to buy food in camp and failed to prioritize targets complains that a bad dice roll was a force enough to crumble his poorly constructed castle of cards, because he is such a bad architect and planner.

>>321650265
Darkest Dungeons doesnt give you GAME OVER when you lose a character. There are ENDLESS characters, you cannot run out of them.
An enemy critting in DD is much, much more forgiving than an enemy critting in Baldurs Gate, for example.
>stop telling me to get good, i bruise easily, trigger warning plz ;(
Hang yourself.
>>
>>321647993
>When the enemy does you get to reroll the fucking game.

Do you restart an RTS campaign when a unit dies?
>>
>>321650341
>"Git gud"fags are the fat people of video games.

You've got it backwards anon. Someone bashing a game because they are bad at it is like when fat people can't lose weight when they eat shit food and don't exercise. "git gud" is the equivalent of "eat less", a simple response to a simple problem that you won't solve because you are too lazy so you just complain about the problem and say it's not fair.

I really hope this "everyone is a winner" generation dies out soon, they are ruining everything.
>>
File: 1450440913540.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1450440913540.png
296 KB, 649x649
>characters are hungry
>feed them
>3 steps later they are hungry again
Is the food in this game is not filling enough or what?
>>
>>321643426
It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that random bullshit didn't result in you having to spend so much time to recoop your losses in gold/exp, resulting in more chances for random bullshit to happen that sets you back further.
>>
>>321650580
Not him but, sometimes yes.

Depends on the RTS of course. Yes I am a turbo autist
>>
File: 1341707718583.jpg (36 KB, 508x487) Image search: [Google]
1341707718583.jpg
36 KB, 508x487
>>321650341

But we are the ones giving you detailed information about how to fucking beat the game but all you're doing is throw MUH RNG in our faces after you fail miserably after the first day and give up

It is infact you who are the fat people
>>
>>321650001
>defending XCOM as having 'good' mechanics

Nigga, please... Xenonauts shit all over XCOM as far as overall design was concerned.
>>
>>321650672
>Someone bashing a game because they are bad at it
Stopped reading here, there are legitimate complaints made on the Steam review section of this game and this very thread and all they've been responded with is "git gud". Seriously consider killing yourself.
>>
>>321650718
Then the argument should be "I cant enjoy the game because I am broken", and not "I cant enjoy the game because its broken".
>>
File: collector.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
collector.jpg
181 KB, 1280x720
> Recently got the game over the sale
> Was doing shit but more recently I'd been getting the hang of things
> Just doing a simple quest exploring some small ruins
> This nigger pops up out of nowhere in a goddamn hallway

I managed to beat him, but shit was I freaking out.
>>
>>321650689
>Force feed a character food to gain health
>The next room on they're starving.

Every time. Even worse when you feed them enough food they get full then plead for more 5 seconds later.
>>
>>321650813
>there are legitimate complaints made on the Steam review section

Incidentally all of them made on the day a patch was implemented that reddit disliked and had a big thread bashing it, and incidentally upvoted to mythical heights on that very day.
>>
>>321650813
>complaining about rng in an rng game

do you go to mcdonalds and yell at the staff for the food being fattening?
>>
File: 1445293471268.gif (742 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1445293471268.gif
742 KB, 200x189
>>321650841
Are you me? He fucking crit 3 times with his bullshit life drain on my game.
>>
File: Ann Frink.png (26 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Ann Frink.png
26 KB, 256x256
>>321650470
> Darkest Dungeons doesnt give you GAME OVER when you lose a character. There are ENDLESS characters, you cannot run out of them.

> The game being a slot machine isn't a problem because you have unlimited slot machine pulls!
>>
>>321636454
Once you realise how little variety there is from each mission and location it gets too repetitive.

I got to the first bosses and it already started feeling extremely formulaic and predictable. Not worth the grind.
>>
>>321650841
Honestly this faggot is nothing compared to a group of 4 fish monsters with swords/spears.

>>321650887
I swear they are worse than tamagochis, always hungry and falling into traps.
When you have like 3 foods there should be an option to choose which character you don't want to feed.
>>
Is there any reason to bring torches? Does it improve encounter difficulty or something?
>>
>>321651239
I tried out The Cove not too long ago, and yeah, I'm not ready for that place yet. Fucking attacks did shit.
>>
>>321650719
Except we did beat the bosses. It´s not really hard if you just wait for rng to happen. Hard are games that have actual choices to make.
>>321650887
Yeah it´s pretty dumb that they don´t have some sort of "hunger" meter or something and if you actually eat food yourself they don´t instantly get hungy again.
>>
>>321651314

You dont get surprised nearly as often and your guys dont get stressed out nearly as fast

Bring torches and food and if you've got a occulist bring a fuckton of bandages
>>
>>321651184
>you risk losing a character
>but because you are a capable player you have replacement characters, since you trained up rookies by bringing them on missions

Ever played XCOM? Did you quit when a veteran died?
Every time these threads show up I feel 90% of posters are the type of people who never enjoyed these games, yet feel the need to be vocal about it in this particular case.
>>
>>321651478
Absolutely not worth bringing many bandages. Bring one maybe, for clutch use, not more.
>>
>>321651314
Low light/pitch black gives you more loot and critical hit rates but more stress and monster accuracy and damage. Also if you're unlucky you can run into a Collector or a fucking Shambler.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 92

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.