[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>calling hack and slash this piece of shit what the fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
>calling hack and slash this piece of shit

what the fuck
hack and slash are games like dmc, mgs:r, etc not this shitty wannabe diablo
>>
>>321634297
Hack and slash literally means a diablo clone.
>>
>>321634297
Those are usually just called cuh-razy. Some people try to call them character action or 3D beat em ups but fuck those people.

>>321634736
Meh, I wouldn't call them that. I usually just say action RPG, or isometric action RPG (even though many are orthogonal), or diablo-like
>>
"hack n slash" is a more broad term to describe a method of gameplay that is really basic but satisfying.
shit, Shadows of Mordor is a hack n slash, same with AssCreed, imo.
>>
I always heard shit like Gauntlet called hack & slash growing up.

Calling DMC-style games hack & slash feels dumb to me because the logic behind it is basically "well you mostly use swords." Which is a really arbitrary way to distinguish a genre, especially given that there are non-slashing weapons in all of them and some don't focus on swordplay at all.
>>
>>321634736
how so

there are plenty vidya called hack and slash and arent like diablo
>>
>>321635149
hack and slash doesn't literally mean that you will slash enemies with a sword, the genre is about fighting tons of enemies regardless of the weapon that you use
>>
>>321634297
>hack and slash are games like dmc, mgs:r

No, they are beat 'em ups
>>
>>321636798
no actually they're character action games or stylish action games
beat em up are games like streets of rage or fighting force
>>
>>321635149
So any EA, Activision and Ubisoft game is a hack & slash game?

Because Cut content
>>
>>321636919
And they are just 3D streets of rage.

Action is a broad genre that encompasses beat em up.
>>
>>321637280
action is too broad
we need sub genres
deal with it gramps
>>
>>321634297
Hack and slash doesn't cease to continue being hack and slack just because of a change in viewing angle.
>>
>>321637367
Exactly and beat em up is an action subgenre. Stuff like DMC are just 3D beat em ups.
>>
>>321634297
>games like dmc, mgs:r, etc
Those are spectacle fighters, or character action games if you're a pleb.
>>
>>321638892
Because they wear spectacles?
>>
>>321634736
This guy isn't 12 and knows what's up.
>>
>>321639909
Maybe.
>>
>>321638892
Button mashers.
>>
everybody knows diablo clones are actually called clickysmacky-loot-em-up
>>
I made an arcanist, what other class should I put with it? I can't decide.
>>
slightly-angled-view-click-mickery-hola-goop
>>
>>321636798
this
>>
hack & slash originated in tabletop RPGs
figure out the rest
>>
>>321635150
Idiots use it wrong for stuff like dynasty warriors

The term still means isometric loot based rpg
>>
>>321634297
Hack and Slash is a board game/tabletop name for an rpg campaign that's almost all combat

That's what differentiates something like Grim Dawn from something like Wasteland 2
>>
What's end game like in Grim Dawn?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.