[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Although Square Enix has started releasing older Final Fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12
File: CW-44gKUQAAX9LK.jpg:large.jpg (293 KB, 1024x1170) Image search: [Google]
CW-44gKUQAAX9LK.jpg:large.jpg
293 KB, 1024x1170
>Although Square Enix has started releasing older Final Fantasy console titles for PC, it seems in the future there are very few chances to see Final Fantasy XV on that platform, maybe through Steam or whatever. Director Hajime Tabata was pretty clear discussing it during the Comic Fiesta.

>"Really?! Where did you hear this? If anything, it is a misunderstanding. There will be no PC port. We never planned for it. The game is originally developed on the PC first and what we said was how the pre-beta works very smoothly on the PC and now optimizations are being made (just like any beta testing would be like) for the consoles. Please do not misunderstand.

>IF a PROPER PC version is to be made, then many changes have to be made and a lot of things have to be reconsidered before such a move can be made."

See you in 2020 for FFXV for PC version.
>>
cool source
>>
>>321624904
http://www.gamepur.com/news/21551-final-fantasy-xv-not-coming-pc-square-enix.html
>>
Who fucking cares
>>
File: shrug.jpg (20 KB, 250x332) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
20 KB, 250x332
>There will be no PC port.
>The game is originally developed on the PC first
>>
>>321624838
>2016
>caring about final fantasy
>caring about RPG's(of any kind) that place story over ANYTHING ELSE

inb4:
>MUH EPIC CINEMATIC MOMENTS
>GAMEPLAY IS SHIT BUT THE STORY IS NICE LOLLOLO!!11one1!!420VAPE IT FAGGOT I AM SUPERIOR GENTLEMAN UNLIKE YOU
>NO NEED FOR GOOD MECHANICS/SIMULATION WHEN YOU CAN PUT 3 BOOKS/MOVIES IN GAME FORM
>WHICH VIRTUAL WAIFU'S ROMANCE CUTSCENE HAVE YOU TRIGGERED?
>>
The port will take one year to come out to PC, at most.
>>
>>321624838

Stop falling for this shit already idiots, Tabata already said XV would only come to PC after the console version is done, that right now they are focussing on finishing the console version and then AFTER that will the think properly about the PC version and that XV would need a top PC to run at 60FPS, and Tabata also saying he is very interested in Steam too.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/08/06/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-frame-rate-on-ps4-and-xbix-one-pc-might-be-considered-after-launch/

>"Tabata-san also added that getting to sixty frames per second would be impossible on consoles. With a full open world game, with action-based combat, so many special effects and moving objects and characters, running at 1080p and 60 FPS would require a top PC."

"...running at 1080p and 60 FPS would require a top PC."

>"At the moment the team is focusing on getting the final game out and tuning it for a TV screen in the living room. "
>"The team feels that people have been waiting for the game for a long time, so it’s important to release it as soon as possible."

"At the moment..."
"...important to release it as soon as possible."

>"That said, once the console version will be out, they will want to think about the next step, and they’ll consider a PC version too."
>"Tabata-san is also very interested in Steam, because it allows to reach a very different demographic from the one offered by consoles, so he’ll be looking at creating opportunities to use the platform in the future."

"...once the console version will be out..."
"...they'll consider a PC version too."

"Tabata-san is also very interested in Steam..."
"...looking at creating opportunities to use the platform in the future."
Also back in February 2015 Tabata said they had no plans for FF Type-0 HD coming to PC, then literally months later FF Type-0 HD is announced for PC by Tabata and it came out in August 2015
>>
>>321626307

Yea prob a 6 month to one year delay

If pc users actually cared for the series it would have been day 1
>>
>>321626307
so 2020.
>>
>>321625348
>caring about RPG's(of any kind) that place story over ANYTHING ELSE

But XV devs literally said they place user experience first and that their UX has four pillars and those four pillars are to treat game design, tech design, art design and story design equally.]

Everything feeds into the other to support each other.
>>
>>321626467
XV is confirmed 2016, it is hinted summer 2016, the PC version will most likely be Q1 2017.
>>
>>321626479
Story should be there only because it's supposed to be there.

We've been shitting story-heavy RPG's for the last 20 years, none of them is good. Wonder why.
>>
Real talk: Every developer, as an artist and creator, wants to put their game on PC.

It's the Elysium Fields of Vidya where games go to live forever and ever as the PC community carefully preserves them and updates them.

But they can't do that because of contractual obligations, so they have to pretend like they have no interest, like they think "exclusivity" is a good thing (it's a shitty marketing ploy to sell console home computing boxes).
>>
>>321627364
>developer, as an artist and creator
game development is closer to engineering tho
>>
>>321626639
The story is there that frames the gameplay mechanics that frames the tech used that frames the art direction that delivers the story and feeds into the gameplay

It's a circle of life.
>>
>>321627942
Bullshit.

Story serves as an excuse to play the game. If the game is good enough, rudimentary excuse is far more than enough.

Which virtual waifu do you want to fuck anon?
How much of a virgin you are?
Why do you want to play RPG's even though you hate the gameplay?
>>
>>321628073
XV is an Action RPG

The story and lore is about Noctis and his father and their magical bloodline and crystal powers, as well as Noctis's Astral powers gained from his near death experience

That is built into the gameplay, the weapon summoning and switching, the Phantom Swords and all the abilities that come with that, the warping, aerial combat, the magic spells manipulating the environment, Noctis's summoning the gods

That is all built through the tech of the animation, player and enemy AI, effects, movement in general

And that is all expressed through the art direction and visuals

And that art and visual then goes back to the story, the themes and lore of the royal bloodline, the more visceral action in the gameplay is there because of the more darker toned story and they express that in the art direction and visuals.

It all feeds into each other.
>>
>>321628420
Sounds like pretty shitty game to be honest.
No wonder STORYFAGGOTS are hyped for it. They like shitty games like Final Fantasy 6 or Pretentiouscrap:Borement because they've ran away screamiing "TOOOO HAAAARD FOR ME" when they've tried the only good FF(2) or Wizardry 7.

Casual fucking faggots, all of them.
>>
I sure do wish I had a PLAYSTATION 4 so I could play the EXCLUSIVE japanese boy-band simulator, Final Fantasy 15!
>>
>>321628601
You are trying way too hard, and I just explained to you it has Game design, Tech design, Art design and Story design all as four equally important pillars of the overall user experience, one is not taking precedence over the other, they are all there equally feeding and building on top of each other.

It's a solid game design method that works and helps create a well rounded game.

You just sound like an underage faggot who doesn't know anything about game design though.

> only good FF(2)
Holy shit did you seriously just try to say FF2 is good? The FF that is widely considered by the vast majority to be the absolute worst FF ever made?

Wow I've been responding to a fucking idiot this entire time, stop posting kid.
>>
>>321628783
>I just explained to you it has Game design, Tech design, Art design and Story design all as four equally important pillars of the overall user experience
except this is wrong
>Holy shit did you seriously just try to say FF2 is good? The FF that is widely considered by the vast majority to be the absolute worst FF ever made?
It's not my fault FF fans are dogshit eating casual gamers.
>>
>>321628904

Sorry I have nothing more to say to a faggot who actually thinks FF2 is good.
>>
>>321628974
Good.

You probably haven't played it anyway.

You're just parroting bullshit like every other casual ever in existence. Let me guess "old games aged poorly!" right?
>>
>>321628904
nigger they literally gave a presentation explaining how their user experience has game, tech, art and story design as their four equal main pillars

you are literally wrong
>>
>>321629123
>nigger they literally gave a presentation explaining how their user experience has game, tech, art and story design as their four equal main pillars
If that's what they think then they're bad game developers.
>>
>>321629038

Sorry I have nothing more to say to a faggot who actually thinks FF2 is good.
>>
>>321627364

Pretty much

Destiny contract literally proved they delay it in pc
>>
>>321629171
>devs explaining their game design method showing all four equally
>did an entire 1 hour presentation explaining in depth each aspect

>t-they are le badXD

keep meme spouting, you got proven wrong
>>
>>321629171
How is having Game design, Tech design, Art design and Story design as four equal pillars "bad game design"?

That is what RPG devs should all be doing.
>>
>>321629123
>>321629358
You forgot to mention that for every single pillar they put 'EXPERIENCE' as their core design that takes precedence.

Also
>cultural enrichment
>muh realism
>>
>>321629509
Yes the experience is you actually playing the game.
>>
>>321629358
>That is what RPG devs should all be doing.
Except that's not something Andrew Greenberg, Jon Van Caneghem, David Bradley or any other actually competent RPG designer was doing.

Putting story as a pillar is absolutely fucking retarded. Unlike every other element like level design, graphics or combat mechanics, story is ALWAYS a wildshot. If you're lucky, hit your audience in right points and your writer will, to his own surprise, make something actually good and not mediocre slog that on top of it - you break a bank with story, sure. More often the scenario looks differently - experienced, reliable and objectively decent(good writers don't work on video games) writer makes a story, everybody in studio likes it, but very first betatester says it's shit. The audience thinks the same. Then the game has to defend itself on its own merit and if story is one of its pillars then it'll get into that fight handicapped.

Hence putting any emphasis on story is absolutely retarded but I guess your lust to waifus is too strong to make you realise it.
>>
>>321629936
>that on top of it
... will be liked by the audience*
>>
>>321629936
>Putting story as a pillar is absolutely fucking retarded
WIthout story there is no purpose to the RPG you idiot, you are just doing meaningless gameplay

RPGs are games that have story as the means to set up the reason for why you are doing the gameplay, the tech builds the gameplay and the art shows all three of gameplay, tech and story

>Unlike every other element like level design, graphics or combat mechanics
These are all called Game design

Level design in a game are based on setting and art, setting itself is based on story.

You clearly know fuck all about game design
>>
>>321629936
>your lust to waifus is too strong to make you realise it.

FFXV-kun is a massive fag, and his husbando is Prompto.
He ain't even FF fan, just a massive faggot who would defend and shill a game that give him a massive hardon.
>>
>>321630372
>lexv kun meme

Fuck off shitcunt, every fucking thread you accuse people of being XV kun, you shitpost and then get consistently BTFO,
>>
>>321630457
FFXV-kun please.
>>
>>321630536
Memespouter fuck off already.
>>
File: sorpigal-map2.jpg (93 KB, 408x545) Image search: [Google]
sorpigal-map2.jpg
93 KB, 408x545
>>321630163
>RPGs are games that have story
Objectively wrong, this approach has led to decline of RPG games.
>Level design in a game are based on setting and art
You're the reason why modern RPG's(and all other games in fact, including let's say FPS or action-adventures) suck.
Level design is they key gameplay element and everybody who played non-STORYFAGGOT games knows it. You've never played them so how could you know?

You're on /v/. Video games. Play them, then you'll end up agreeing with me.
>>
>>321630163
the purpose of an RPG is to role play, having too much story ruins the whole role playing element
>>
>>321630727
>Objectively wrong, this approach has led to decline of RPG games.
Except they are, ROLE PLAYING GAMES, you are exploring a role, a story

The game goes through the story, story serves the game, that is what tabletop RPGs are

Without the fucking story there is no point to a tabletop RPG and vice versa

>You're the reason why modern RPG's(and all other games in fact, including let's say FPS or action-adventures) suck.
Dude what the fuck? It is a basic fact that story and lore is what establish the setting for an RPG and that from that setting you create art, and by mixing the art and setting you then create level design
You know fuck all about game design especially for an RPG
>>
>>321631870
>Except they are, ROLE PLAYING GAMES, you are exploring a role, a story
Trying to define RPG as a genre is a running joke.

Tabletop RPG's are a different animal because you're dealing with actual humans here. Which is unlike RPG's on computers or consoles.

Therefore RPGs in electronic format have to focus on things tabletop can't do well because of time and space limitations, like designing good, elaborate dungeons or developing good combat system.

Of course the bottom line is that it'll make most modern """"""""""""""RPG's"""""""""""""" action adventures if not straight up action games but that's what you get for being decline.
> It is a basic fact that story and lore is what establish the setting for an RPG and that from that setting you create art, and by mixing the art and setting you then create level design
Oh so your level design is limited to artistic part of it?
Show me your papers because I don't know if you have down syndrome or are just fucking stupid.
>>
>>321631870
>you are exploring a role

This is false.
RPG, as its core, is always about you; The character and your adventure.

>The game goes through the story, story serves the game, that is what tabletop RPGs are

This is wrong on every level. When player proceed through the roll, they were set up with a condition, and how they tackle through this game, with their character create the story.
This is how most tabletop RPG goes.

>is a basic fact that story and lore is what establish the setting for an RPG and that from that setting you create art, and by mixing the art and setting you then create level design

I'm an artist by contract for multiple games, done a couple of concept art as well as help designing some enemies.
Though I am not directly involved into the whole design process, I know a lil bit with the way we goes back and forth in the design process.
Its all happen simultaneously, and the changes will be always be made on almost, if not all elements.
For example, when I've submit my aquatic creature design the art director like it so much that he pushed to alter some of the base design of the level to better fit the creature as oppose to telling me to redesign it.
There's also an instance where some of the design elements effected the story, and that the director wants 'A cut where the HERO were surrounded by this ENEMIES' and 'We can use this section for this part of the script'.
Severe change of script and 'lore' is not uncommon when it comes to design process.

tl;dr Things could get messy and most if not all the time shit like the stories and setting can be altered and change accordingly to the needs of the gameplay and design.
>>
>>321632208
>Trying to define RPG as a genre is a running joke.
Oh god now RPGs aren't a genre? You just keep sperging harder and harder.

>Which is unlike RPG's on computers or consoles.

Computer RPGs are still fucking RPGs, you still explore a role through the characters, build stats and have numbers, the character stats in battle which you shape through leveling, equipment, gear, weapons etc decide conflict resolutions.

>Oh so your level design is limited to artistic part of it?
Nigger do you even know anything about any RPG ever?

Look at Dragon Quest, just the castle for example, that castle exists tehre because they created a story, the story has a setting which is medieval, the medieval setting then has them create art for a medieval castle and then they create maps and level design based on that

Like fucking seriously?
>>
>>321632761
>RPG, as its core, is always about you; The character and your adventure.
That is literally what a role is, the characters role and that role within the adventure.

Nigger your second point is literally exactly the same fucking thing I just said, story fuels setting which fuels the character which fuels the role playing and game aspect which in turn then fuels the character which fuels the story
>>
File: map3-03.gif (45 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
map3-03.gif
45 KB, 560x560
>>321633023
>Oh god now RPGs aren't a genre? You just keep sperging harder and harder.
Try to find me a definition which I won't contradict with numerous examples of RPG's.

Yours can go to hell after being exposed to let's say Dungeon Master, which is VERY important milestone in RPG design and development and great game by itself.
>Computer RPGs are still fucking RPGs, you still explore a role through the characters, build stats and have numbers, the character stats in battle which you shape through leveling, equipment, gear, weapons etc decide conflict resolutions.
Yet you can't get close to the amount of "resolutions" tabletop gives you unless you're operating in a timeline where you have infinite budget and time for developing the game.
>Nigger do you even know anything about any RPG ever?
I know more about RPG's than you.
>Look at Dragon Quest, just the castle for example, that castle exists tehre because they created a story, the story has a setting which is medieval, the medieval setting then has them create art for a medieval castle and then they create maps and level design based on that

Look at actually good RPG:
Wizardry 4, it has 10 levels but I dare you to beat those mere 10 levels.

Each of them is fucking puzzle that's hard as balls to map. Here you go - level design serving gameplay.

For the example you can actually beat - try some action game, let's say Dark Messiah and compare it to Dying Light. Both share very similar basics - a game with First Person mellee combat with emphasis on physics and using the environment. Now Dying Light is an example of how to not do level design. To make people use the environment they've had to make weapons break more often if you did otherwise. Meanwhile in Dark Messiah game would be very hard if you didn't kick your enemies out of cliffs or throw boxes on them, but everything is placed in a way that makes using the environment come as a natural, logical thing.
>>
This is Dragon's Dogma all over again;

>hey sorry PCguys we can't bring it over because reasons, won't tell you exactly what tho ;^(((
>nearly half a decade later
>FFXV COMING TO PC GET HYPE
>>
>>321633594
cont.

but for millennial retards, level design is only the art, games can be about linear corridor but for them level design will be great if the art doesn't suck
>>
>>321633594
>Try to find me a definition which I won't contradict with numerous examples of RPG's
Role Playing Game you fucking idiot

You are also bringing up "level designs" drawn based on moving in a dungeon crawler, are you fucking retarded or something? Like holy fucking shit that is like bringing up the overhead map in GTA and saying "l-look how balls to the wall this map is the level design doesn't have art because it's just 2D flat lines!?" Are you seriously that fucking retarded?

Also Table top RPG which are not video games and therefor are completely non-sequitur to fucking anything you are saying

>I know more about RPG's than you.
No you clearly don't know anything, let alone CRPGs, ARPGs and video game design in general, not to mention XV is a fucking open world Action RPG so the maps and level design are made for an open world, not a fucking dungeon crawler

Your example of a dungeon crawler map also completely ignores that the setting and story are still present in the game which is what they build that dungeon around
>>
>>321633216
Actually no, you said that the RPG is where you 'explore the story' which is actually incorrect.
In table top RPG a 'story' is not being told, it was essentially created by the player.
A tabletop RPG can start with no stories or lore at all, its not essential so your point on regarding the story as 'the poin't of tabletop RPG is wrong.

>Nigger your second point is literally exactly the same fucking thing I just said, story fuels setting which fuels the character which fuels the role playing and game aspect which in turn then fuels the character which fuels the story
No, what I said is not the point.

What I just said is that all the aspect of level design were influenced by every single level phase of the game design.
A does not create B, B does not create C and so on and on and on.
Each of these elements will be altered, changed and created until the directors were satisfied with it.
You said that art were created based on the setting, this is not necessarily true.
The setting will and can be altered to accommodate the design.

The story and setting is not a finalized process, none of the design process is the finalized process.
Its a back and forth process that goes on and on until everybody, or just the director, happy.

My post were meant to counter your post that keep hammering the fact that the story and the setting takes precedence over everything else when its not true.
>>
>>321634051
>Your example of a dungeon crawler map also completely ignores that the setting and story are still present in the game which is what they build that dungeon around
But it's good map.

Now let's go back to the basics >>321629936
if your story will sucks, this level will still be great

Do you understand now or you've chosen to be fucking retard regardless of it?
>>
>>321634051
>No you clearly don't know anything
>You know fuck all about game design especially for an RPG

Sasuga FFXV-kun.
>>
>>321634201
oh and btw. that map is nothing but certain cross-section of a pyramid.
>>
>>321634161
>you said that the RPG is where you 'explore the story' which is actually incorrect.
Are you illiterate or something, you explore through a story with a character, be that by the story influenced directly by the players actions or not, you are still going through a story.

>A tabletop RPG can start with no stories or lore at all,
Having characters means there is already story, so no there is always story because there is always characters.

Your point is the same thing I said, that all elements feed into each other, it goes back and forth.

Your example had things change which altered story elements which then in turn alters other things, that is exactly the point of what I said
>>
File: 1382932708425.jpg (122 KB, 333x317) Image search: [Google]
1382932708425.jpg
122 KB, 333x317
>>321634051
>He thinks level design and art/art direction are the same thing
>>
>>321634201
Nigger do you have any idea what you are trying to say?

The level design still incorporates the setting and story elements into it.
>>
>>321634429
No I don't and I literally said they are different things you illiterate cunt
>>
>>321634486
If it does it, then it suffers from gameplay perspective.

Go back to the story gamble and read it again. You're gambling that your story will be good enough that your objectively worse level design won't hurt the game's quality.
>>
who fucking cares about future ff titles?
>>
>>321634540
You cannot miss the fucking point any harder if you tried

The point is that every aspect of the game design feed and flow into each other
>>
>>321634392
>you are still going through a story.

Like I said, this is false.
There's no 'story' in tabletop RPG, just a setting that will be encountered by the player.
These 'setting' can be as simple as a boulder on the street to alien encounter.
It would ruin everybody session if they are forced to go through a 'story' since its not theirs to told.
The whole point of tabletop RPG is for the player to create their own story and experience, not the other way around.

>Having characters means there is already story, so no there is always story because there is always characters.

You clearly messed my point.
I was talking about the story of the game itself as a whole.
Sure, there's a backstory and lore, but those are just settings.
Player are not forced to trudge through the story that were set up by the DM, if DM is setting up a story then you know its your que to quit it right now and then.

>Your point is the same thing I said, that all elements feed into each other, it goes back and forth.
>Your example had things change which altered story elements which then in turn alters other things, that is exactly the point of what I said

Actually no, you didn't said that.
>>
>>321634667
>The point is that every aspect of the game design feed and flow into each other
Which is total inanity.

Every aspect of game design is linked to each other in complicated manner and improving one of them can hurt the others.

Take combat for instance. Let's say you've developed wonderful combat system which is fun to play as fuck. So you want to add more combat, because - well you have good combat system. However the pacing will inevitably suffer so if your writer will have its day and will write something actually decent, you'll hurt the story by putting more combat in the game.
Obviously more often than not it'll be a change that will make the game better as a result, because of the story gamble but it's the other thing.

What you're saying sounds great, it can clearly impress bunch of liberal arts students and other retards but doesn't translate well to the real world.
>>
>>321634950
You play tabletop with terrible DM's
>>
>this thread

lol so ugly
>>
>>321634950
>just a setting that will be encountered by the player.
Except that setting and the characters performing a role within that setting is the story, that is the story you are exploring

That is still a story, setting is a story element.
>>
>running at 1080p and 60 FPS would require a top PC
top fucking kek
not if you actually optimise your game
Theres nothing going in the environment from what we've seen so far.
>>
>>321635440
>Except that setting and the characters performing a role within that setting is the story,
Correct

>that is the story you are exploring
False.
You are exploring the setting, not a story.
A story is to be told, not to be explored.
Exploring a story means that you will going through an already set up character, event and setting.

>setting is a story element.
Thats it, its an element of the story but by itself its not a story.

...should I ask you what story is?
>>
>>321635012
>Which is total inanity.
No it's a well rounded game design method to bring the best of everything to the top.

Your example is just one example but it created a game system first then tried to build a story around that

It is far more logical to create a story, setting and characters first, then create game system and design through that, because you created a character you create story based reasons for gameplay mechanics, this gives them more weight within the games world as they unify toghether, and since you are writing it you have full control over the degree and way those game mechanics work within the story and setting itself, create levels and environments through the setting that work together with the gameplay
>>
>>321635697
>It is far more logical to create a story, setting and characters first
It is not.

Go to hell with other STORYFAGGOTS
>>
File: Phantom Sword Noctis FFXV.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Phantom Sword Noctis FFXV.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>321635483
Except for the full real time GI with dynamic real time physical based lighting, physical shadow day night cycle and dynamic weather systems, with always 4 100k poly characters on screen with over 500 different possible animations and actions loaded into ram at any point, on top of that all the monsters and enemies who you can easily encounter over 20 at once, also with all the different visual effects happening, AI calculations etc.

There is a shit ton going on at once.
>>
Why the fuck they putting so much work into the story and art? Who fucking gives a shit, I care about gameplay.
>>
>>321635674
>You are exploring the setting, not a story.
But you have a role going exploring the setting, this is the story.
>>
It's hilarious how people can already see through N-NO IT'S A FULL EXCLUSIVE NOT TIMED lies of devs.

I like you guys, you're smart.
>>
>>321635770
Except it is because it gives more weight to the world.

Game design for the same of game design is meaningless in an RPG without anything else, a video game is not just gameplay, and an RPG is not just gameplay either, an RPG puts focus on characters, setting and story which you have gameplay help to advance through the game with.
>>
>>321636090
XV was never exclusive.
>>
>>321636128
Play more RPG's, you clearly missed like good 15 defining years of this genre.
>>
>>321636189
They sure want to imply it's a console exclusive forever though
>>
>>321636045
>But you have a role going exploring the setting, this is the story.

Yes, your role in the setting makes the story.
But what you've been saying over and over again is having a character that 'explore through a story'.
Thats what I have been trying to point over and again.
>>
>>321635994
>day night cycle and dynamic weather systems
WOAH

ALMOST LIKE IN ULTIMA 7 IN 1993
>>
>>321636202
Without characters you have no roles, not stats, not weapons, nothing

Without setting and story you have no characters

Without characters you have no gameplay to make

The gameplay is through the characters, through the stats, the mechanics, you build those through a character, which exists because of a setting and story
>>
>>321636225
No they don't

See >>321626307
>>
>>321636270
Again. Play more RPG's, because you have no idea what are you talking about.
>>
>>321636227
Do you know what exploring a story is?
>>
>>321636249
>l-let me ignore all the other things and act like this 8bit game is on any fucking level coming close to open world RPGs with full fleshed out worlds with dynamic real time light with full Global Illumination, actual day night cycles and weather systems that all fully affect the game systems in an real time open world Action RPG

Just stop posting you selective cunt
>>
>>321636328
Role Playing Game

You play a role, that role consists of gameplay mechanics that only exists because of a character to do those game mechanics with, that character only exists because of a setting, that setting only exists because of story
>>
>>321636429
Ultima 7 is open world, it has no loading screens dyinamic weather(rain doesn't just rain, first there have to be clouds on the air!), character schedules making them work, open windows during daytime, sleep, eat, close windows during night time, hide from rain etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>321636361
How can one possibly 'explore' a story?
>>
>>321636603
Dark Souls.

There are no real cutscenes, you're put in the middle of a story and have to figure out what the fuck is going on through deduction and item descriptions.
>>
>>321636506
I'll give you recommendations and you'll stop spewing your clueless mantra(that gets fucked by any game with char gen - I mean if you create a party of characters that are blank slates, not really characters, how does your shit definition hold up?).

>Wizardry 6, 7, 8(in progression, you can transfer parties between the games and there are things like items from 6 being relevant to some quests in 8 which came out like a decade later, cool stuff)
>Might and Magic - 3, World of Xeen, 6 and 7, 8 if you can't get enough of 6/7
>Pool of Radiance

And rethink your "opinion".
>>
File: xv demo coernix gas station.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
xv demo coernix gas station.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321636561
>Ultima 7 is open world,

It's not even close to on the scale of XV, let alone any 8th gen open world game, it's a fucking 2D overworld, does not have real time dyanmic weather systems and fully real time lighting, real time GLOBAL ILLUMINATION, it does not fucking have physics calculations, real time shadows, its not fucking in 3D, it's fucking sprites you dumb cunt

How retarded can you even fucking be?

Show me a single fucking sceen in U7 that is even close to as detailed as this, with animations this detailed, with real time lighting, with global illumination, with physics based rendered, with fucking polygons, oh wait, it doesn't because it's a fucking 2D sprite game from 1993 that has a clock like Pokemon, stop fucking kidding yourself faggot, you cannot be more of a selective cunt who knows fuck all about game tech if you tried.
>>
>>321636945
>does not have real time dyanmic weather systems
IT DOES HAVE REAL TIME DYNAMIC WEATHER YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>321636935
>how does your shit definition hold up?
The same fucking way it does in an MMO? The same fucking way it does in FF1 and FF3 where they are literally blank slates?

They are still fucking characters, they still exist within the setting and within the story.
>>
File: 1397013993637.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1397013993637.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
why doesn't 4chan's management team delete this thread.

>console war
>shitty baby tier discussion

I dont understand
>>
>>321637024
Then everything, including space ship from asteroids is character and every game with stats going up is RPG.
>>
>>321634950
>There's no 'story' in tabletop RPG, just a setting that will be encountered by the player.
>These 'setting' can be as simple as a boulder on the street to alien encounter.

You strike me as one of those people who insist that ancient epic poems like the Odyssey are the pinnacle of literature and that all modern media with their arcs and internal consistency are shit.

Seriously why do you even own a computer, most people with your mentality are usually stuck-up hipster trash that "don't even own a television"
>>
File: FFXV Overture demo.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
FFXV Overture demo.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321637001
>This faggot is still fucking going thinking a 2D sprite game having a clock to tell the game when to rain is the same fucking thing as dynamic weather systems that affect the gameplay, that affect the playing field, that actually makes things wet, that has physics based calculations for the clouds movements, for thunder and lighting being generated, wind physics on the environment for grass, trees, vegetation, clothes, hair, monsters etc

Holy shit, just stop embarrassing yourself already you clueless fucking idiot, the fact that you don't even know what Global Illumination is already shows you are underage.

U7 has the same fucking shit Pokemon has for time and weather you dumb cunt.
>>
>>321637410
What that ultima guy is trying to explain to you is that other games exist with the feature set you presented (witcher 3, mgsV, ...) and they those games still run perfectly fine at 1080p 60 on mid tier pcs.
Do you actually get paid by square enix or something because holy shit bro.
>>
>>321637592
>(witcher 3, mgsV,
None of these have fully real time Global Illumination of physics based rendering

MGSV also uses the PS3 poly models in the PS4 and PC versions which is how it gets 60FPS

Witcher 3 doesn't have anything even remotely close to as detailed going on as XV has either or even coming to the tech behind XV

XV is also 10x bigger than Witcher 3 is.
>>
>>321624838
why is every japanese developer a fucking autist that can't speak clearly?
>>
>>321636917
>There are no real cutscenes, you're put in the middle of a story and have to figure out what the fuck is going on through deduction and item descriptions.

Let me try to get what you're trying to say;

>DaS have no story
>You play as a character that read description
>and you then you found the story
>hence, explore the story

What you just described here is setting, not story.

>The a chosen undead that embark on his journey and at the end of his journey he is given a choice to ignite the flame or usher the age of darkness>>321637024

This is the story.
>>
>>321637730
that's not the story, it's a plotline
>>
>>321637689
Well they still look better in my honest opinion f.a.m.
Maybe this "Global Illumination" and "Physics based rendering" don't bring that much to the table if it still looks that bland and on top of that you have to sacrifice framerate for it.
>>
can't wait to play final fantasy emo boyband edition, combined with mash x combat
>>
>it seems in the future there are very few chances to see Final Fantasy XV on that platform, maybe through Steam or whatever

is this website auto-translated or is this JOURNALISM.
>>
>>321637919
They are objectively superior to the methods that MGSV and W3 use, also XV looks better than both of those games both in world design, model, poly count, art direction
>>
>>321638017
>They are objectively superior to the methods that MGSV and W3 use, also XV looks better than both of those games both in world design, model, poly count, art direction

Oh FFXV-kun....
>>
>>321638017
>objectively superior
>hogs more ressource and looks worse
mmmmhhh
>>
>>321638060
But it is you fucking faggot.
>>
File: not cropped porn.png (37 KB, 120x110) Image search: [Google]
not cropped porn.png
37 KB, 120x110
>>321624838
>>
>>321624838
>Giving a shit about Final Faggotry
What are you, a 9 year old japanese slutboi?
>>
>>321638108
Uses better resources and looks better in every way

Better lighting system, better character models, better animations, better blending, it objectively looks better in every way to those.
>>
>>321636945
the lighting is the only good thing about this, everything else looks like fucking ff12 lmao
>>
>>321638114
Love and delusion FFXV-kun, love and delusion.
>>
>>321625094

How are video games made mommy? Is chwistmas school break over yet?
>>
File: CW_CiSQWEAAtwgJ.jpg (553 KB, 1500x1714) Image search: [Google]
CW_CiSQWEAAtwgJ.jpg
553 KB, 1500x1714
>>321624838
>1024x1170
>only
>>
>>321638108
Objectively more in line with how light and matter actually interact in the real world.

Aesthetic qualities, as always are that ugly word "subjective." However, there really aren't any other games with dynamic lighting/time of day that consistently look as natural as XV.

Some games, like Battlefront, look better because they rely on carefully controlled conditions(small maps, static lighting). Others which DO feature dynamic lighting and larger environments, still cheat quite a bit with simplified shader pipelines and as a result are able to sustain greater model and texture detail but at the cost of looking pretty shitty and unrealistic in certain lighting conditions. Based on SE's disclosure and tech demo/duscae footage, XV is still the most ambitious in terms of being physically accurate and as a result almost never looks flat-out BAD or unnatural(no seriously I'm not going to argue with any shitposting faggots on this point). Unfortunately because of this the hardware is being extremely taxed and thus you get pop-in, framerate hitches, aliasing issues, etc.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.