[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get into Total War, what game should I start with?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: arty.webm (2 MB, 900x563) Image search: [Google]
arty.webm
2 MB, 900x563
I want to get into Total War, what game should I start with?
>>
>>321594506
Rome
>>
>>321594506
Rome Total War 1.

It's still the best.
Most dynamic, most intuitive and most fun
>>
Do not go past medieval 2 except for Shogun 2.
>>
>>321594506
Rome 1. Still one of the best in the series.
Also has a plethora of overhaul mods that increase replayability, Europa Barbarorum is a good one. Just remember that the Romans are crazy op
>>
>>321594801
Shogun 2 is great if you like everyone having literally the exact same units.
>>
If you're brand new to the series just go with one of the latest ones unless you plan on playing them all. The previous games can be mechanically better depending on which you play but Rome 2, Shogun 2 (and it's expansions) and Attila have quality of life changes that make going back to the older games pretty difficult honestly. Rome 1 is considered by a lot of people to be the best overall, though.
>>
>>321594920
fairly historically appropriate though, they were all nips
>>
>>321594801
I'd say Napoleon with Darthmod is worth trying, I like to blast Sabaton and wreck shit as Sweden in that game.
>>
>>321595136
Yeah, but its just kinda boring

>We are the horse faction, and our horse units are SLIGHTLY BETTER than yours, feeble archer clan!
>>
>>321594926
>Recommending Rome 2
Wew lad, kill yourself. That game is almost unplayable.

Also OP the general consensus around the Total War series is that the devs are hopelessly incompetent. Just remember that as you go into the series. Mods make the games 10x better and Rome 1/Medieval 2 are the go-to games for mods.
>>
>>321594506
Shogun 1 is the only good one.
>>
>>321595585
Said nobody ever
>>
>>321595403
>That game is almost unplayable.
You're entitled to your opinion but if you legitimately believe Rome 2 is unplayable then you're an idiot. Trying to play Medieval years later after playing Shogun 2 and Rome 2 is pretty fucking painful, the UI and controls are absolutely dogshit on the older games. I enjoyed them at the time and absolutely recognize mechanically the latest games are lacking in comparison, but don't pretend they're that awful.
>>
>>321594506

Medieval is BY FAR the best Total War
>>
>>321595334
well what else could they do with it? if you wanna play a game about a civil war in a technologically isolated country you have to put up with some sameyness.
>>
>>321595858
was it medieval or medieval 2 that had the broken siege towers?
>>
Rome or Medieval 2
>>
>>321595927
And thats why I dont want to play a game about that. Even Empire had some variety, and all the nations had different line infantry so at least the base units were slightly different for everyone and not just for "the faction that specializes in that one thing"
>>
>>321595759
I can still boot up Medieval 2 or Rome 1 and have a good time. In Rome 2, the battles are completely fucked. They took the unit abilities from Shogun 2 (Which were implemented well) and went completely overboard. Units are completely unable to stay in formation correctly and the movement speeds are crazy fast, so every battle is a slogfest in the middle until one side wins.

Also, the fact that ground troops can now move into water and automatically turn into troop transports removed strategical layers from the campaign map game and rendered naval units completely useless until late in the game. Not to mention that the retarded battle AND campaign AI, an issue that has plagued the series since it first started, has actually WORSENED when compared to Shogun 2.

Characters age too quickly. Family trees were removed. In Rome 2, I didn't get the feeling that a story was being told through my actions the way it was in the previous games. Also, the graphics on the battle map are literally shades of brown:the game.

Rome 2 dropped the ball in every area imaginable. It should have been WAY better than Rome 1, a game released in 2004. It wasn't. That alone speaks volumes.
>>
I can only play Rome 1 all other Total war games feel too too wonky. Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>321596605

Yes.
>>
>>321596720
Nope, they are wonky
>>
>>321596720

No.
>>
>>321596720
No, you've reached the same conclusion as most other people. Shogun 2 aint wonky though, that shit has the tightest mechanics of any TW game.
>>
>>321594506
wtf post more tw webums
>>
>>321597146
Too bad the unwonkiness was wasted on a boring time period
>>
>>321594506
Rome 1 or Medieval 2.
I think that Medieval 2 is better, but both are good.

>>321596605
I miss the old trait system. I had a Spanish general who was a bastion of chivalry, and over the course of 4 successive wars with the French, he turned into a scarred, profane monster of a man, with a crippling dependency on booze. Still super loyal though.
Its a level of emergent storytelling that was rather unique.
>>
>>321597234
It's easier to create an unwonky rock-paper-scissors balance system when you only have a few types of units to worry about
>>
>>321597369

Yep, that feeling of uniqueness and attachment to certain characters was pretty amazing.
>>
File: i3eTxXhf.jpg (18 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
i3eTxXhf.jpg
18 KB, 400x400
>>321597369
>playing Julii Rome 1
>Conquered all of Spain, most of central Europe, started moving into North Africa
>Civil War imminent
>New heir gets born
>Name: Gaius Julius
>mfw
>>
>>321596038
Medieval 2, Rome also had the same issue.
>>
How does everyone think Total War:Warhammer is going to play out? Atilla showed that They're able to push out a game that actually works on release after the embarrassment of Rome but they've seemed to have gone all aboard the DLC train. Are monstrous creatures and Flying units going to work out?

>Warhammer
>Chaos Faction is preorder DLC
Seems pretty bullshit.
>>
>>321596605
This man speaks the truth.
>>
>>321598146
The only "chaos" faction they've announced so far are the northern not-viking clans. They aren't doing anything with the actual chaos wastes/ruinous powers in this version.
>>
>>321598146
The fact that Games Workshop has discontinued Warhammer Fantasy means that TW:Warhammer will likely be the last we see of the setting. However, the DLC bullshit is strong with this one. It'll probably look decent but play like shit.

100% pirating it
>>
>>321594506
Attila, ignore the nostalga faggots.

Attila is the easiest to get into.
>>
>>321598146
It will be complete bullshit.

In Rome 1 you unlocked all the factions by playing the fucking game or editing a notepad file.

Now you're expected to pay money for that. Fuck that.
>>
>>321598580
Those Chaos Vikings are still a really cool faction and they do have access to the ruinous powers of chaos. Their leader is a giant minotaur centaur daemon.
>>
>>321598783
Man, Macedonia was total bullshit with those light lancers, I can understand why they weren't unlockable by default.
>>
>>321598783
>In Rome 1 you unlocked all the factions by playing the fucking game or editing a notepad file.
Rome 1 also cost a fraction of the cost and was not nearly as feature complete as this
>>
>>321598620
>discontinued
i thought they just brought out a new version, sigmarines and whatnot?
>>
>>321598620
>discontinued Warhammer Fantasy
Learn what discontinued means, then try again
>>
>>321600835
Its for the most part an entirely different setting. The Material worlds is gone and all the fights now take place in a broil of a the immaterium wheres there is one bastion of humanity led by Sigmar and everything is chaos bullshit with speccles of other old factions here and there.
>>
File: 1386227655067.png (91 KB, 630x686) Image search: [Google]
1386227655067.png
91 KB, 630x686
>bought a lot of TW games but have never been able to get good at any of them
>>
File: imjin war boarding action 2.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
imjin war boarding action 2.webm
3 MB, 854x480
Shogun 2. Fall of the Samurai too.

Shogun 2 even have an Imjin War mod where you can fight Ming China and Choseon Korea.

>webm related.
>>
File: Random Samurai Battle.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Random Samurai Battle.webm
3 MB, 640x360
The enemy is fleeing from the battle field! Shamefur dispray!!!!
>>
>>321600950
They pretty much destroyed everything that made it fun anyways
>>
>>321601474
I didnt realize they physically destroyed all the old rule books and its impossible to play how you want to play
>>
>>321598708
it's the civ 5 of the total war series.
>>
>>321594506
TW is dead. You can't conquer all the map with TW warhammer. Can't destroy faction that isn't your nemesis.
>>
>>321594506
Rome 1, Medieval 2 or Shogun 2. Depends on your time period preference

>still waiting on Three Kingdoms Total War

I'm aware that there is the ROTK game and half-assed ROTK mod for Medieval 2, but I want the real deal.
>>
>>321601643
>implying I can go to my local GW store and play Fantasy every Thursday like I used to
Not everyone is blessed with a gaming group bruv
>>
>>321598708
Agreed. The old total wars were good for their time but Attila and post Emperor Rome 2 are good games.

Attila's campaign map is fantastic with new and realistic challenges with cultural instability and climate changes and effects. I loved adapting as the Norse having to move south to survive the winters.

Though the post Emperor Rome 2 unit roster has been the better and the multiplayer for Rome 2 is still far better because of it.

I'm feeling good for Warhammer due to Attila being pretty damn good.
>>
>>321602239
troll post
>>
>>321602118
You can, stop being a fucking loner and meet people at the store, most fantasy players prefer old fantasy and play it all the time
>>
File: 1443952594795.jpg (671 KB, 1109x799) Image search: [Google]
1443952594795.jpg
671 KB, 1109x799
>>321601337
That's pretty neat. Reminds me a bit of Chinese tower ships.
>>
I really, really hated shogun 2 realm divide mechanic. To me the only use was to cover up the awful AI, as they couldn't be bothered to make it more intelligent and provide a challenge late game. Instead you get the whole map ganging up on you and waves of neverending units
>>
>>321602769
Thats why FotS is better
>>
>>321602769
Cont
Because the best moments in the total war series were when you had a huge empire and you had to think very carefully about who to fight next and trying not to overextend everywhere. The late game is the best part of the total war series
>>
>>321601445
>Not a single thrusting attack
>no one takes a shot at the completely unprotected feet/faces
>only chops down on the heavily armored heads and heavily armored shoulders
I don't understand. I don't know a thing about real warfare, but this just seems counter-intuitive. Why wouldn't you harry their unprotected bits while they are busy trying an extremely wide, cumbersome motion with their spears?
>>
>>321603263
Its stupid fake movie bullshit
>>
>>321604156
I dunno. It looks like one of those things that is inspired by a real tactic that just didn't translate well on camera.

The fact that no one seemed very affected by the first 5-7 swings justifies this opinion. The directors seem to realize it's a slow, patient war style that isn't very effective on the surface, yet they made sure it was done with great coordination and discipline, implying training.
>>
>>321604432
Kid, stop it.

Its a movie not a history lesson.
>>
The first Rome is absolute shit. No matter what I do, my units flee from battle, even if their commander is fighting right next to them and the goddamn enemies are just a bunch of wannabe vikings
>>
>>321604517
>being curious and skeptical makes you a kid
Well then. I guess there's nothing else to say here.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.