[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The only way you can properly experience a game is by pirating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: 1418265591701.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1418265591701.gif
2 MB, 400x400
The only way you can properly experience a game is by pirating it or getting it for free. When you pay money for something, your subconscious will make excuses for you and make you think the game is better than it is. There is no disputing this at all.

This is why current gen console gamers opinions are null and void. This is why you should pirate any game you're interested in, and buy it and support the creators if you actually enjoyed it for free.
>>
It goes both ways.

If something has flaws you're gonna be angrier if you paid money for it as opposed to if it was free.
>>
So I should never pay multiplayer games?
>>
>>321584936
Private servers. Any worthwhile multiplayer games has them floating around.
>>
>>321584893
Angrier, sure, but it doesn't cover up the flaws. Most recent games I pirated were Wasteland 2 and Fallout 4. Wasteland I enjoyed despite some bugs and such and I purchased afterward for another playthrough. Fallout 4 I'm playing and while I've sunk enough time into it for it to be a "worthwhile" purchase, with all the game breaking bugs, bullshit writing, etc. etc., I'd have been furious if I'd paid for it.
>>
File: d3.jpg (577 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
d3.jpg
577 KB, 1920x1080
>>321584762
>When you pay money for something, your subconscious will make excuses for you and make you think the game is better than it is.
Not true.
So very, very not true.
>>
The more games you pirate and play the more you will start to hate games
You will start to realize how 90% of games are shit, If you buy games you will actually try to enjoy the game because you spent money
i fucking hate video games, nowadays its hard for me to find something interesting to play
>>
>>321585092
what about games such as Dark Souls which can be pirated, but whose multiplayer component can't be?
>>
>There is no disputing this at all.
This line alone should tell everyone that this is shameless bait. But what the hell, I have no life so I'll bite.

I disagree on the fact that "your subconscious will make excuses" because this implies that bias is what makes their opinion invalid. And can you honestly tell me that you, or anyone at all, can completely and totally separate themselves from bias?
>>
>>321586072
Multiplayer is secondary in a game like this. If you pirate it and enjoy it enough, buy it and get the full experience.
>>
>reviewers get games for free like pirates
>/v/ says don't trust reviewers
>>
How far can a poorfag go
>>
File: 1432946711441.gif (2 MB, 311x178) Image search: [Google]
1432946711441.gif
2 MB, 311x178
>>321586307
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

It's real.

Of course there are limits to the mental gymnastics your subconscious will go through, but it is absolutely a thing that you do.
>>
>>321586508
>>/v/ says don't trust reviewers

Because they're getting paid by the developer/publisher to market the game.
>>
>>321586598
I didn't mean to disagree with that statement, I meant to disagree with the fact that it makes someone's opinion invalid. Shitty quoting, shitty clarity
>>
File: 1416838868958.gif (864 KB, 160x270) Image search: [Google]
1416838868958.gif
864 KB, 160x270
>>321586598
>Example: For example, a consumer cannot decide between two popular video game consoles, but in the end decides to purchase the one that many of their peers also own. After purchasing it, they may find few games for their console worth purchasing, and more for the console they did not purchase. However, they do not wish to feel they made the wrong decision, and so will attempt to convince themselves, and their peers, that their original choice was the correct one, and the consumer's opinion is better than everyone's opinion, i.e. using sour grapes arguments.[1]
>>
>>321586508
>write bad game review
>publisher stops sending me free videogames
>write good review for subpar game
>get free stuff
hmm
>>
File: 1450566223137.webm (3 MB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
1450566223137.webm
3 MB, 1000x562
>>321586748
If you didn't pay for something, your are completely free from post purchase rationalization. This is the only pure way to experience media. Your opinion is objectively less valid if you paid for something, even if you don't realize it.
>>
>>321587235
10/10 webm 10/10 bait
>>
>>321584762
But what if you got game like Destiny, Fallout 4 or whatever, you paid full price for it and you play it. You're not convinced that the game is okay and whatever and in the end you come to the conclusion that the game just sucks despite trying to find anything redeemable in it.
Does that sound like you're making an excuse to defend the product you have decided is shit?
>>
>>321587235
But what about other forms of bias? It's impossible to avoid bias because it may come from your opinion of the developer, the genre of the game, and even the color palette used. Why is one format of bias so much worse than other forms?
>>
no one was making excuses for me when i pirated Shadows of Mordor.
i beat it in 1 day then immediately uninstalled it.
no one was making excuses when i bought DoA Final Round. played it once and literally haven't launched it since.

i also bought Just Cause 2, played it for 5 minutes, then immediately uninstalled because it was so buggy.
>>
>>321584762
Or you could be a badass like me and just not pay period.
>>
>>321587882
They aren't bugs, they're features.
>>
>>321584762
I call bullshit

I have bought games with money and called them shit both in consoles and PC.

However, i also have pirated good games and stopped playing them even if they were good because i lost interest and have no attachment to it.

Buying a good game makes you actually play the fucking thing even if it has "that part" where it loses stream for a bit and then picks up again.
>>
>>321588292
You're calling bullshit and proving I'm right in the same breath.

The reason you're less inclined to finish pirated games is because you're free of post purchase rationalization and see it for the waste of time it is.
>>
>>321588602
I eventually pick it up, same has happen to bought games but they take less time for me to pick up depending of how i am feeling.

Video games overall is a waste of time, so that realization means jack if i am choosing in what to waste my time between product 1 or 2
>>
File: 1441813522292-2.jpg (41 KB, 272x262) Image search: [Google]
1441813522292-2.jpg
41 KB, 272x262
>>321584762
I agree with what you're saying about people justifying their purchases, but from what I've seen there's a flip side to that:

Anons that subscribe to the "all new games are shit, what is this buy you speak of?" mentality tend to fashion themselves as some sort of industry watchdog and become 'le critic' who are far more critical of a game's flaws than someone who just picked up the game on a whim. They believe they should always pirate first and "if your game just so happens to be 11/10 GOAT I'll ~maybe~ consider gracing you with one sale (if there's no good private servers, and it's discounted on steam.)"
>>
>>321589083
To be quite honest, videogames have been in a downward spiral since the end of gen 6. I don't think they're all terrible and have enjoyed a good handful of 2015 games but I understand people's frustration. Especially those of us old enough to remember 90s gaming.

Obviously/v/ is full kf contrarians trying to get a rise out of people but I understand why people are disillusioned with videogames.
>>
>>321589468
sure it's no question the overall state of innovation in games has gone way downhill since the 90s. Back then studios were small operations filled mostly by people who loved playing/making games and now it's just another hollywood. And there's still plenty of mindless entertainment to be had in both.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.