[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pillars of eternity worth playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5
File: pillars.jpg (60 KB, 915x585) Image search: [Google]
pillars.jpg
60 KB, 915x585
Now that it is on sale.. I was considering picking it up. However, I read some reviews on it(steam reviews), It seems like it has some glaring gameplay issues apparently? Also, is the story and writing any good? I am looking for a good RPG to play I guess.

In the mean time actually, does anyone else have any good ideas for games to play that recently went on sale during the steam winter sale?
>>
No, don't give Obsidian money for this turd

They must learn how to make proper games or kick the bucket
>>
>>321548770
just pirate it
it's depressingly mediocre in every way
>>
it's painfully mediocre, inconsequential and shallow
>>
It feels like someone trying to make a game that felt like an old crpg instead of just being a game that feels like a crpt
>>
>>321549036

are there any good games on sale right now? I am just looking for SOMETHING to play. something decent that is.
>>
>>321549190
age of decadence is probably the only quality rpg we will experience this decade
>>
What about wolfenstein, new world order. Is that any good?
>>
>>321548210
I got it as a gift and liked it. Probably be a bit disappointed if I had paid for it. Heard the expansion or whatever was really bad.
>>
Get Age of Decadence instead. Pillars just capitalizes on nostalgia and does nothing particularly good even when compared to the games it's trying to ape. AoD probably has the best world building in a game since Arcanum. And it's choices and consequences are probably the best will see outside of pen and paper game.
>>
>>321549190
if you want a similar game you should take Divinity:Original Sin Enhanced and play it with a friend
The most fun i had with CRPGs since BG2

I think it's pretty expensive right now though
>>
File: 2015-12-25-20-25-58.gif (1 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-25-20-25-58.gif
1 MB, 853x480
>>321549190
Infinifactory was surprisingly fun.
Underrail if you want a RPG, no discount but it's cheap.
>>
File: drc.jpg (132 KB, 1173x329) Image search: [Google]
drc.jpg
132 KB, 1173x329
>>321548770
I liked it. It has flaws, but I overall enjoyed playing it.

Clearly some people don't like it, so if you're interested in it, watch some gameplay videos of it and get it if you like what you see; don't base your choice completely on other people's opinion.

Alternatively, there's actually many current CRPGs to choose from apart from PoE: Divinity Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun (Dragonfall), Age of Decadence and Underrail.
>>
>>321549592

I thought pillars was better but then again I ran a party of 6 waifus

Random loot in divinity pisses me off and the fact that early level talents are missable if you don't take then
>>
Might as well post here instead of making a new thread. How was Shadowrun: Hong Kong? I thought DMS was just okay and that DF was GOAT.
>>
>>321549814
I see your point but i think POE pissed me off on every part of it.
I didn't find a feature that wasn't underdeveloped, mediocre, unbalanced, unfunny or just too limited.

At least you made a point, unlike most POE fans
>>
>>321548770
/v/ hates this game for some reason, but it's actually pretty good. Sure it has flaws, but what RPG doesn't?

Just pirate it and see if you like it.
>>
File: 1434752589921.jpg (23 KB, 232x197) Image search: [Google]
1434752589921.jpg
23 KB, 232x197
I didn't even finish Pillars of Eternity.
The game was just so lackluster I couldn't force myself to care about any of the characters, the world of the story, or the hacked-together plot.

You're much better off playing some of the true classic Isometric RPGs that PoE attempts to emulate, such as the Baldur's Gate series.
>>
Playing it was painfully boring, gameplay-wise. Pirate it
>>
I liked it a lot. Apparently a bunch of people are still salty it got RTWP instead of turn based.

Sucks to be them i guess. Anxiously awaiting the second part of White march, my team of dragon killer is waiting
>>
>>321550003
Not quite as good as DF, much better than Returns.
>>
>>321548770
The only good thing this did is finally expose Obsidian for the frauds and charlatans that they truly are.
>>
My personnal opinion is that a bunch of 12 years old are VERY angry they can't just spam rest anymore and win everything with a Kensai/Mages time stop stupidity. Or they tried POTD and were confronted with their glaring lack of brains and abandonned in shame.
>>
>shit gameplay
>shit fortress management
>shit companions (except for Durande and Grieving Milf)
>shit villains
>shit story

It's a pretty shitty game.
>>
>>321550860
true story
I was an Obsidrone until i played this
Even Avellone fled to Larian
>>
>>321550232
It's not completely terrible but the only thing it has going for it is that it's made by some guys that made old games that are considered great. Once you actually get past that and compare it properly to it's contemporaries you'll see that it has done nothing to advance the genre and instead gets by on name recognition alone. Divinity brought forth an exceptional multiplayer aspect along with the much praised combat system that makes skills actually fun to use. Age of Decadence while rough in some places delivers a world where your choices (both in story and regarding builds) actually have meaningful and far-reaching consequences. The best I can say for PoE is that it looks pretty.
>>
>>321550976
If bayonetta 2 wasn't on WiiU i'd call you the internet best salt mine.
>>
>>321550107

Wwll I had more to say

I really like the balance in the game

Like magic users in divinity start off good and enjoyable but later are weak and are utility. CDs on their last spells are way too long. Meanwhile some melee classes literally one shot everything. In pillars magic users remain limited powerful and the melee classes like paladin are enjoyable since I like boosting my other party members while having that blue aura dealing massive damage. Archers are now fun too and they're fixing chanter.

I also like the end game spells for magic users verses the ones in divinity. The expansion has some cool shit especially for priests.

Divinity started off more interesting than pillars but the ending was rushed. Pillars was more solid though a bit boring. Pillars also has better companions vs the half assed ones from divinity with barely any interactions. I know since I played through it again for the dlc companions.

Divinity did have me exited for the story out of curiosity but it fell flat at the very end. I still give divinity the win for interesting story but I like fights and gameplay better in PoE. Both games are great thought but I get a headache thinking about replaying divinity when I orobsvly replayed PoE 10+ times. It's fun since you can predict what certain containers will drop and plan out your character.

Divinity did have the fun with combining spells so that was fun as fuck.
>>
>>321550232
It was highly anticipated on /v/ and didn't deliver. It gets tedious fairly quickly not to mention the whole SJW thing no wonder no one here likes it.
>>
>>321550976
>Even Avellone fled to Larian
Truly the best thing to come out of Pillar of Eternity's shit.
>>
File: CxXBkNP.jpg (591 KB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
CxXBkNP.jpg
591 KB, 2500x1500
Gameplay, art design, graphics and the UI were all great.

Story, world and characters are generic as fuck and massively boring. It might as well have been pic related
>>
>>321550902
no, they didn't stop us from spamming "rest", they put "rest" after 15 minutes of loading screens
which apparently you think is cool design and exposes real players from the ones who can't stand waiting 15 minutes every fight
>>
>>321551261
Except it's pretty much the opposite of it.w
>>
>>321549247

that.... looks interesting actually
>>
$17 is a pretty good price for it, I wouldn't say it's worth more than $20. The scenario/writing is decent enough but ultimately forgettable, the combat is fun at first but wears out its welcome after a while and becomes a repetitive chore. It's an okay game to play if you have nothing better to do.
>>
>>321551179
did you try enhanced? it addressed most of the balance issues you told
>>
>>321551358
Oh, so you actually are that uninformed. Good to know.

You know now that Caed Nua has a rest button that you can press and rest at the inn? And that bonuses where boosted?

I love when retards prove themselves as such this readily.
>>
My problem with it was that you get no xp from fighting.And literally every item drop from enemy is the same sword and armor. Literally. And the story is mediocre so you cant just play it for the story. If it had better gameplay it would be a great game but like this is just a boring piece of shit.
>>
>>321551510
Frankly, i find magic is somewhat weaker. Maximum in CD reduction reduce your CC power. And i can't be a teleport fucker and completely wrecks the enemies with it. Instead, we now got ranged being a I WIN button vs larger enemies due to close range arrow spray
>>
>>321551510

Honestly I wanted to but I'm playing too many games to go back that recently came out and dragon dogma/tomb raider are upcoming.

I'll do it when there's a dry spell but I'll def be picking up the sequel it left a good impression.
>>
>>321551647
You get Xp for fighting something you haven't beat already . And most container have randomised loot ( could be slightlly more varied there, tho)
>>
>>321551567
You mean you don't need 15 minutes to get out of the dungeon, to caed, in the inn, upper floor, main floor, out of inn, in the hall, buy stuff, out of hall, out of caed, in the dungeon again?
What part of this process did they manage to cut in only 1 year of patches?
Try again with evidence
>>
>>321551953
The part where you reach caed nua, you press a button, and the inn screen shows up asking you what bonus you wanna take.

Again, thank you for proving your ignorance. I love when people humilliate themselves.
>>
>>321551890

I played it a while ago i dont remember right. But i do remember that i got bored when i entered this Castle i killed like 60-100 people i got like no xp for them and everysigle item drop from them was the same. I realize its muh realism that they all wear the same shit but its a fucking video game for fucks sake. So i uninstalled.
>>
>>321551647
some uniques/soulbound weapons were pretty cool. I remember playing with an estoc that had a chance to summon like 3-4 undead (or zombies?) on hit, plus a chance to paralize the target. Also had a dagger on my rogue that casted chain lighning on crit that hit for a shitload of dmg and bounced to nearby targets
>>
>>321551756
Strange, i'm playing mage now and i feel i'm pretty balanced.
Damage gets up with level so with the right spell combo you can explode stuff pretty easily

Like extended fire touch + poison multiattack for massive multiexplosions
You can do more damage than point blank salvo of arrows if they're not immune
>>
>>321551756

Other guy but that's what it was like when I played. I think there was only one arrow spray book or was that another skill. Basically all you used since archers had barely any skills. Magic has the issues you described. I also remember a bug where if you had merchants reload their inventory too much the game crashed on accessing their inventory. That was the final straw for me. Honestly dos was far more buggy than PoE in my experience.
>>
>>321552217
Bravo. Not the game fault you decided to rambo like a proper 12 years old instead of infiltrating the keep either by the sewers and catacomb or the wall while disguising yourself and your team as priests. If you need shiny light blinking whenever you killing something i'd suggest COD for you.
>>
>>321552458

So unless i play the game in specific way i deserve a bad game design? Ayy
>>
>>321552076
So they needed more than 1 year to make you skip 4 of at least 11 loading screens just to make you rest?
Again, thank you for humiliating Obsidian on my behalf
I think you can stop now
>>
>>321552565
Well, the dude who gives you the quest suggest infiltration. But you chose to kill everybody. What did you expect, that random footsoliders would drop artefacts and jewels? Did you expect to get more proficient at combat by slaughtering everyone?
>>
>>321551261
I don't agree that it was generic. It was anything but.

The problem is that "original" doesn't automatically mean "interesting". Their world had a lot of potential, but then they drop you off in the ass-end of nowhere where absolutely nothing interesting is going on. I really liked PoE despite what /v/ says, but the story is definitely the weakest point. Half of the time it doesn't make sense and the other half it's just boring.
>>
>>321552565
You have to understand that no matter what failure Obsidian encounters these slaves will find a way to blame the player, or big bad publishers. That publisher boogyman is gone now, so of course its all the player's fault.
>>
>>321552337
Mage spell in DOS are never as strong as Oath of desecration + Flurry on a 2handed guy.

Now in Div:OS EE your bread and butter is Crippling strike and a flurry whenever off cooldown, Arrow Spray + Rain and a few backstab fr damage, while your mages try to CC/Buff. Your water mage cast water of life at the start then throw a heal one and off. THe combo you gave is alright unless the enemy is immune/absorb either fire or poisn, and the farther you get the more they resist it.
>>
>>321552647
So you needed less than 15 minute in a thread to be shown an ignorant fool. You can certainly stop now, but we both know your little failed crusade will continue
>>
>>321552647
>they needed more than 1 year to make you skip 4 of at least 11 loading screens just to make you rest?
Is the publisher's fault, not Obsidian :^)
>>
>>321552565

I know how to be sneaky and I still kill them all

Selling all their loot can let you upgrade stronghold completely or buy nice rings and accessories from the city

Well I prefer stronghold since you get more herb materials every turn as well as merchants that come with nice items to sell and the rest stat bonus. You can also get rep bonuses and gold from the legendary quests for twin elms if you're the type that wants to max it out for the main cities

Though you seem more like a troll so this stuff is only enjoyable to completionists
>>
>>321552993
it took me less that resting on POE!
It's not a bad deal.
Maybe in a year and a half i'll make a button where i won't have to deal with idiots like you so it will take me only 10 minutes
>>
>>321553291
>You are an idiot for proving me wrong.

Retards, retards never changes.
>>
>>321550532

Same here.

Pretty sure I'm still somewhere in the last act, I got so far but then just dropped it because the game became a chore to play.

It's a shame because I think the setting is actually pretty interesting, specifically in regards to reincarnated souls. There were bits and pieces of brilliance written in there (like a totally optional conversation with that girl in the prison, who remembered her past life as a noble and all of sudden became picky when it came to food and her meager lifestyle), but overall the story is fucking shit.

Durance and Grieving Mother are well written (surprise fucking surprise), Eder is okay and everyone else is fucking boring.

I've been having more fun with Divinity OS, mainly due to the co-op aspect and the gameplay. Story is shit and totally forgettable but the gameplay is awesome, I love it.
>>
>>321549730

is udnerrail actually good? also, is wasteland 2 any good with its new patch thing that came out a couple months back?
>>
Characters are well written for the most part, dialogue as a whole is well written [plenty of stat checks], but the story itself is surprisingly shallow with little opportunity to influence it. The lore is... well, it sounds dull for me, but I just wished it focused more on the political intrigue of the world and less on the muh ancient advanced race nonsense.

Contrast that with Age of Decadence, for example, that has a lot more space for your character to influence the plot, but the writing itself is horrible, with every character sounding like a vaguely modern thug regardless of wether or not they're a merchant leader or a high-ranking military deserter.

I would recommend it.
>>
>>321553932
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut is basically Wasteland 2 minus bugs, plus more gameplay balance, and quality-of-life changes and small graphical improvements. It's still the same team-based, turn based combat game with focus on combat and choice and consequence. Story is meh and so are many characters, but overall it's entertaining.

I'm just starting Underrail, so I can't actually give you my opinion yet. You might want to ask in the Underrail thread, though.
>>
I think PoE suffered a lot from hype backlash - it's not a terrible game by any means, but people expected more than "not a terrible game" from Obsidian dream team project. Feargus decided to play it safe though. Was he wrong? Sales and Metacritic rating say "no", but ehhh.
>>
Woedica did nothing wrong.
>>
>>321554635
>[plenty of stat checks]
sadly, the stat checks anon is talking about don't influence anything in any way
They go like this

Collapsed bridge:
A)Pass with stat-check
B)Pass with item
C)Pass, but take a short-term debuff
D)Don't pass
If you take said buff get ready for an only 10 minute trip to rest and get it out
>>
>>321555073
A) HATE BRIDGES
>>
If you're really starved for RPG action, have played all the classics and recent releases then sure. Pirate it and go wild. Otherwise I really can't recommend it.
>>
Am I the only one who didn't enjoy a single bloody game from obsidian?

I couldn't even play Kotor 2 for 30 minutes (and I loved 1), NWN2 is shit, new vegas was mediocre and less fun than fo3

thank god someone pointed out that PoE is from obsidian, I really considered buying it
>>
>>321555614
No, I'm sure there are plenty of people with bad taste out there!
>>
>>321555614
Certainly you're one of the few that put it in more neutral terms than OBSIDIAN IS SHIT LMAO WORST COMPANY DESU SENPAI
>>
>>321555614
Nononono something's wrong here
FNV, as mediocre as it was, was less mediocre than fo3 with its story and gameplay
NWN2 was pretty good
Kotor 2 was pretty good

It's like your tastes are reversed. You might like POE after all
>>
>>321556521
>FNV was mediocre
>NWN 2 was pretty good
You're not the one to talk about reversed tastes m8
>>
>>321556521
>NWN2 was pretty good
The only good thing about NWN2 is MotB tho.
>>
>>321551212
ah, that explains it.
>>
>>321548770
I bought it.

Seems fun for what ten hours i've played.

With all these shitty games around this seem okay.
>>
>>321550976
>Avellone fled to Larian
I guess the rumors of him being super salty over changes to Durance and Grieving Mother were true.
>>
>>321557059
no, no, i mean the main game
It has better stronghold, combat, items and characters than POE
It even has a trial and an ending where your characters turn on you instead of just pretending.
It's pretty good. It's a mastapiece compared to POE
Why people say it is so bad?
>>
>>321549549
>low magic
But I wanted to have fun
Fun is subjective
>>
>>321559452

Does EVERY game need to have lots of magic though?
>>
>>321552862
The game was literally designed that way, with the idea in mind that a player would not be punished by being underleveled for choosing to take a diplomatic or peaceful approach to the game. You can contest that a diplomatic and an aggressor will both receive similar quest exp from basic task completion, but it ignores that someone playing as an aggressor would be grossly over-rewarded with exp for
>Complete the game killing 1200 or more creatures and NPCs
compared to
>Complete the game killing fewer than 175 creatures and NPCs
thus result in an obvious imbalance.

The gap is closed near to the end of the game with a level cap but that also suggests that either,
>A) an aggressor would be overleveled for, thus trivializing all content as they approach it, for the content being balanced around a weaker diplomat's playthrough
or
>B) a diplomat would simply become unplayable as the content was rebalanced around the stronger aggressor's playthrough
Ergo the implementation is that you only gain experience for killing a foe for as long as you are filling out your bestiary; once the bestiary is full of all necessary information (by way of killing enough numbers of a foe), you no longer receive experience from killing that foe.

You can self-rationalize by calling me a drone or some shit but that also emphasizes your own negative bias, by way of the fact that you can't divorce someone simply and objectively explaining the philosophy behind a game mechanic from them also littering that same explanation with their own opinions.

This is why the game is the way that it is; and whether you choose to enjoy it or not, it was done with fair reasoning in mind.
>>
>>321560023
Certainly not, it is just a basis for how I personally choose what games I want to play.

I enjoyed Wasteland 2 well enough for over 100 hours, but I find a lot more enjoyment in games like D:OS and PoE. Thus I wouldn't have much reason to believe I'd find AoD more enjoyable than perfectly suitable, diametrically-opposing alternatives.
>>
>>321561536
>I enjoyed Wasteland 2 well enough for over 100 hours, but I find a lot more enjoyment in games like D:OS and PoE.

holy shit dude. 90 hours in DivOS and that's by far the most I've put into any of those 3.
>>
>>321561650
156, though it was across a couple of half-playthroughs before I decided to make a serious attempt on Hard for completion. Pre-EE
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.