[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reloading Is there a more worthless and nonsensical game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8
File: DryFire_RifleMagChange.jpg (91 KB, 958x639) Image search: [Google]
DryFire_RifleMagChange.jpg
91 KB, 958x639
>reloading

Is there a more worthless and nonsensical game mechanism in modern videogames?
>>
No, because you're retarded.
>>
>>321543095
Suck a dick, idiot.
>>
/v/ has weak bait game today.
>>
everyone knows that guns NEVER have to reload
>>
I wish more games would exist with no reloading.
>>
There's a time and place for it. No one mourned its absence in Doom, Metal Slug, or Devil May Cry, but it adds balance and strategy to non-arena shooters like CS and whatnot.
>>
No reloading only works in arena shooters, where reload time would be more annoying and wouldn't add shit to the skill ceiling.
>>
>>321542792
>Is there a more sexy and amazing game mechanism in modern videogames?
FTFY
Honestly reloading is one of my favorite parts about using guns in games, bad reload == bad gun.
>>
File: doom_00340461.png (3 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
doom_00340461.png
3 MB, 1680x1050
>>321543187
>>321543205
Cowadooty kids detected
>hurr it exists on real life so it should be included on vidya for no actual reason at all
Videogames don't have to obey real life laws buddy, it's thanks to you fuckheads we get dogshit like 2 weapons limit and having to spend 50% of the time reloading
Do you also think every shootan game should have hunger and air meters too?
>>
Reloading is only nonsensical when the bullets from the magazine magically appear back in your pool.

If you were to lose all the bullets left in your magazine when you reload, then it makes sense as a mechanic because you have to weigh the benefits of either saving ammo or having more bullets ready for the next engagement.
>>
>>321543153
Stay mad and retarded.
>>
>>321543637
Likewise, buddy
>>
>>321543593
reciever just happens to be one of my favorite shooters because of the reload mechanics.
some depth of realism is encouraged, besides, no reloading encourages spray and pray tactics
>>
>>321543637
Truly epic trolling anon

>sage
>>
>>321543593
Doomfags are not this childish and retarded, go away
>>
>>321543749
>it makes me buttblasted, therefore it's trolling!
>>
>>321543593
> it's thanks to you fuckheads we get dogshit like 2 weapons limit

Yeah man Halo with its super soldier programs and its aliens was totally obeying real life by implementing a 2 weapon limit.
>>
>>321543618
Insurgency does this, it keeps the magazines and uses them when you run out of full magazines, so you may find yourself reloading a magazine into your gun with only ~10-15 bullets instead 30 or however much you thought you would have
>>
>>321543771
I'm a doomfag, the only retarded here is you faggots defending a shitty mechanic that has no reason to exist in videogames
>>
>>321543618
See I wish more games at least had the option to do this. Like let you play this way if you want, some option in the options menu.
>>
>tfw not enough games let you use a brace of pistols
>>
>>321543349
It wasn't even a commonly implemented mechanism when Doom came out, and Doom 2 introduced a weapon with a full reload cycle every shot. And Metal Slug and DMC aren't exactly going for any kind of realism.
>>
>>321543902
It doesn't occur to you for even half a second that perhaps reloading was put in for reasons other than "muh realism"?
>>
File: 1450725198966.jpg (50 KB, 814x500) Image search: [Google]
1450725198966.jpg
50 KB, 814x500
>>321543902
Then you're the dumbest doomfag I've ever met, congrats.
>>
>>321543902
>WAAAAAH games are not allowed to do what i dont like
heres your reply, i hope it made you smile
>>
>>321543882
This is the only one that actually makes sense, only other game I can remember it does this is SWAT4.
>hurrr ill just throw away a magazine with several rounds left in it because of muh realism
Realism doesn't mean being a retard, do you think soldiers in the front throw away empty magazines, let alone with a few rounds left in it?
>>
>>321544073
Dumbest by your standards means "poopyhead who dares to disagree with me", i'm proud of making you this assmad

>>321544102
I've got no reason to smile at your dumbfuckery, it actually makes me sad
>>
>>321543593
Yeah, and who needs underwater physics. Nobody complained that Doom guy walked on water like Jesus, so it's obviously fine for all games.
>>
>>321543708
I'm not the retard who doesn't know how guns work.
>>
The new Battlefront'll be right up your alley.
>>
>>321543962
>normal mode
reloading
competent AI
normal ammo pickups
normal health pickups
>hard mode
slower reloading
AI utilizes more tactics such as supressing fire and flanking
less ammo pickups
less health pickups
raised accuracy and damage (for both you and AI)
>easy mode
fast reloading
retarded AI
lots of ammo
lots of health
>im a fucking retard mode
no reloading
enemies cant see you
infinite ammo
godmode
>>
>>321544283
I'm not the dumbshit who thinks videogames are real life, buddy
>>
>>321544302
>game designed for 8 year olds

No thanks
>>
>>321543593
>Abloobloo muh reloading~~~
>Posts game that has shotgun reloading.

Why are all doomfags so fucking retarded?
>>
>>321543618
I imagine the foundry master in those games with bullets returning to your ammo pool to be an all-knowing being who knows how many shots you will fire before you reload. The numbers displayed on the screen are meaningless.
>>
>>321543902

>No reason

It's to make you plan ahead, not every game has to be Doom.
>>
>>321543618
I just assume your character is instantly reloading spent magazines. It's already the only possible explanation to how you always have a full and ready magazine from picking up a random handfuls of bullets.
>>
>>321544337
Did you ever think that maybe adding in a reload mechanic makes you have to stop and think about when and who you're shooting so you dont just spray and pray. It adds a little extra depth to the game you fucking mook.
>>
>>321543618
Pretty sure Resistance did this.
>>
>>321544118
Original Rainbow does it too. 2 and 3 might, I don't remember.
>>
File: 1441059611787.png (291 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
1441059611787.png
291 KB, 600x512
>>321544254
>"poopyhead who dares to disagree with me
I would have bothered to argue if you were asking whether there are good or bad implementations of reloading, and, indeed, there are. But since you're arguing about whether reloading should or shouldn't be in every FPS game, this goes without saying that you're a fucking cretin. Can't fix that, won't even bother.
>>
>>321544118
Soldiers don't throw away magazines at all. You store those away so you can refill them later.
>>
>>321543593
Do you know why they don't make games like Doom anymore? Because it's fucking shit.
>>
>>321544730
Sure thing, fag
>>
File: got one.png (6 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
got one.png
6 KB, 235x235
>all these replies
>>
>>321543618
One of the SOCOM navy seals games did this on the playstation 2. There was only a "force reload button" (R3 iirc) and it would swap out a fresh mag but keep your current mag. I think it only showed you your total magazines as opposed to bullet pool. Back then I thought it was stupid but now I think it was a really good feature. If they could do it then, they could do it now.
>>
>>321544757
This can't be said enough.

Doom and quake a shitty, shallow games with bad mechanics that normal people outgrew decades ago.
Fucking hell, Doom has AUTOAIM.
>>
File: baby.gif (2 MB, 201x145) Image search: [Google]
baby.gif
2 MB, 201x145
>>321544831
It's an actual complaint, modern FPSbabbies are so deluded they treat reloading and shitty cover based gameplay as some kind of sacrosanct part of the game and believe anyone complaining is "le baiting xD"
>>
>>321543819
Why does humanity's most advanced combat soldier not own a pistol holster? I can accept him tossing aside rifles and shotguns since they're too bulky to carry around, but why discard a weapon that can fit in a pocket?
>>
op, do you really think that having no ammo cap would make games better?
cause it would be a huge buff to anything with a high firing rate. take an smg, it has medium-low damage, but its rate of fire is so fast that it can easily keep up with stronger damage weapons just from that alone, the limiting factor is that it will burn through its magazine very quickly because of that.
now what happens when you make it have a bottomless mag? it becomes one of the strongest weapons in the game
>>
>nonsensical
OP have you ever operated a firearm in real life?
>>
>>321545040
Max Payne 3 had best realistic weapon limit
>>
>>321543593
>Cowadooty kids detected

Uhh CoD has reloading. Doom, Quake and UT don't. I would definitely call them arena shooter kiddies.
>>
>this fucking thread
>these fucking anons falling the bait
>these genuinely shit opinions from trolls
>>
>>321545120
To be fair, real life guns have awful mechanics
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5zsln8Mba8
>>
>>321545040
>>321545105
This is why reloading and weapon limits are necessary mechanics in FPS games.
Without them you just pick the best weapon you have at the time and use it until you run out of ammo.
No strategy, no variety, just thing over and over for dozens of levels.
>>
>>321545331
Using a firearm is more erotic than touching a woman and if you believe otherwise I'm afraid you're infected by the "terrible tastes" virus.
>>
File: 1240281215859.jpg (87 KB, 1000x586) Image search: [Google]
1240281215859.jpg
87 KB, 1000x586
Capacity is the gun equivalent of stamina. You can't keep attacking forever, but you can sacrifice other attributes for higher uptime. It's a lot of fun when that one fucker with an LMG can catch several nerds with their pants down.

The issue is:
-Most devs never add a clear benefit to having smaller magazines, whereas in reality that weight reduction makes it easier to shoot and move the weapon around.
-In games with fucking space lasers and future shit, having everything reload like an M16 is stupid. If you're using an alien acid squirtgun, it shouldn't have the exact same characteristics as a regular human gun.
>>
>>321544996
Well it kind of needed auto aim since you couldn't look up or down.
>>
>enemies stop to reload
>they still have infinite ammo anyway
>>
>>321545405
while i cant disagree with this, i think no modern games have handled it really well
>>
>>321545445
I didn't claimed otherwise, but they do have awful mechanics regardless
>>
honestly not sure why more shooters don't rip off the active reload system from Gears. Shit actually made reloading somewhat more fun rather than just a chore
>>
>>321545130
I loved MP3's inventory, it gave you a lot to think about in multiplayer too especially with the weight/stamina system.
>>
>>321544434

>Abloobloo

I consider anyone who says "abloobloo" to be borderline retarded. But that Doomfag was retarded as well so I suppose it evens out.
>>
>>321543618
Early Battlefield was magazine based.
>>
File: 1430071700615.jpg (458 KB, 1772x1688) Image search: [Google]
1430071700615.jpg
458 KB, 1772x1688
>>321542792
crafting
>>
>>321543593
Oh download a fucking trainer already you crybaby.
>>
>>321542792
It contributes well to pacing, forcing you to planning your attacks, because you'll be dry and helpless after 30 plinks.

It has no place in games where you face hordes of enemies at once, though.
>>
>>321543618
People talk about games with this kind of mechanic, but how many games have a difference between an instant "fuck my old mag" tacticool reload where you slam that shit out while inserting a new one, and a "pls save my ammo daddy" fagboy reload where you catch the half-spent mag for later so it doesn't smash on the floor and let all the bad guys know where you are?
>>
>>321542792
are you fucking retarded
>>
>>321543593
It has literally nothing to do with that. It's balanced around the game.

That's literally it, you autistic faggot.
>>
>>321545040
the shielding. it covers his entire body and makes him kinda slick? and having any sort of hole would be, well. a hole. a weak point. without that shielding on, spartans are actually quite weak. one of them got wasted by pretty much a single plasma shot because she literally forgot to turn her shields back on. unless hes literally carrying it in a closed grip or has it lanyarded around him, it wont stay. now imagine putting a pistol on a rope and letting it swing and flip around as your in a firefight, sweeping all your friendlies left and right with a hand cannon that fires pretty much 50 cal rounds?
>>
>>321546239
>so it doesn't smash on the floor and let all the bad guys know where you are?
it has nothing to do with noise, it's just about speed
>>
Reloading can be just as fun as not reloading.

Reloading revolvers, for example. It's exhilarating.
>>
>>321544018
>tfw not enough games let you shoot brace of pistol users with poisonous arrows
>>
>>321546495
No game has successfully captured the thrill of reloading during a battle. It's hard to do, when well-trained muscle memory is replaced by hitting R.
>>
>>321546495
Ocelot, please
>>
>>321546495
you're pretty good.
>>
>>321542792
Nope. Reloading makes me feel like a badass after I kill shit. And needing to reload in a game adds a sense of tension and skill when fighting someone. Complaining about having to reload is like complaining about guns not having infinite ammo.
>>
>>321543618
OFP/ArmA would put non-empty mags back in your inventory. If you have nasty habit of reloading every 3 shots you could end up with 10 magazines (full inventory), but with 1-3 rounds in each.

Biggest thing it lacks is extra round when reloading not empty weapon
>>
>>321544734
They're consumables. You can throw them away, and worst that can happen is armorer's bitching on you, or complaining to your SL about you wasting mags. But you don't want to throw them away, because you may need them before having chance to get new ones, for example you can refill them from paper boxes.
>inb4 "why carry ammo in paper, and not just carry more mags"
it's lighter and takes less place this way than carried in mags
>>
>>321543618
Arma 3 and Insurgency both do this. I don't know any other games that do it.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.