[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, how do I get into JRPGs? Always wanted to get into them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: jrpgs.jpg (17 KB, 459x229) Image search: [Google]
jrpgs.jpg
17 KB, 459x229
So, how do I get into JRPGs? Always wanted to get into them, but somehow it hasn't worked for me. Tried Ni No Kuni, FF9, 10 and 13 and Suikoden 1 so far.
>>
Try LISA: The Painful. First JRPG I played that didn't bore me to shit.
>>
play dark souls and nothing else, don't even think about playing anything animu, it's a one way ticket to loserhood
>>
play the classics. suikoden 1 and ff9 are cool. suikoden 1 is even better. try lunar the silver star story, final fantasy 6, chrono trigger, persona 4, xenogears, grandia 1 or 2....

you have lots of awesome options beyond what I've named. however there is a lot of shit too. especially newer jrpgs that look pretty but feel only like pale imitations of the glory days of old.
>>
>>321541940
The thing I liked about the games I played so far is the feel of adventure. But after a few hours I was so bored because it was mostly just travelling from one empty town to another empty town for different reasons. Already tried Suikoden 1 and FF9 and I didn't really like them for that exact reason.

>>321541751
Already completed all Souls games, but that's not what I'm looking for here.
>>
>>321541383
Play FFIV-VII
>>
>>321542265
yeah the feeling of adventure and exploration is cool. I do like it to be evenly balanced with story.

suikoden 1 isn't grindy and is pretty fast paced.

what jrpgs have you liked then maybe I can try recommending others that are similar? sadly many jrpgs are somewhat forumlaic but some are far worse than others. "trails in the sky" is a grind of one town to the next with repetitive quests as you said. I got to the very end and didn't care and quit.
>>
Play the top 3: FF7, Chrono Trigger, and FF6.

Then branch out, trying to recapture the feelings you felt when you played these.
>>
>>321541560

It's not a JRPG, cucklord.
>>
>>321541383
Play the the smt series
Start with digital devil saga then move on to digital devil saga 2
From there you can do either mainline or persona
Your pick
>>
>>321542826
It's not Japanese, but it's a JRPG.
>>
Try Chrono Trigger or FF6. They're JRPG entry points for a lot of people.

Also don't let your dislike of Ni no Kuni and FF13 color your opinion on JRPGs overall, those 2 are just shit games in general.
>>
File: 50 upcoming JRPG.jpg (4 MB, 3500x4264) Image search: [Google]
50 upcoming JRPG.jpg
4 MB, 3500x4264
>>321541751
>Dark Soul isn't anime
>being such a normie
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>321542950
>>
Not that anon, but I'd recommend Digital Devil Saga.

There's 2 games and they're both basically half of the same game, but you can only buy or just emulate the first to see if you really like it before trying the second one.

The game sticks to fairly straight forward objective for the majority of its first part so you aren't just given various excuses to lead you to new locations, and there's only one real "town" in the game at your home base.

The gameplay is a bit more tactical than some JRPGs, and the story is consistent with some weird mystery and intrigue going on that starts fairly generic (mysterious girl, ancient powers, yadda yadda) but gets really interesting as it goes on.

>>321542863
What this anon said to, since DDS is part of Shin Megami Tensei.
Persona 3 is a popular entryway into the franchise, but those games tend to be pretty boring in the gameplay department. I'd say definitely try Digital Devil Saga and then move on to SMT 3: Nocturne on the same system.
DDS 1 & 2 and Nocturne are both for the PS2 but are also available on the PS3 online store. Emulate them or buy them, your choice.
>>
File: Chrono.Trigger.full.216779.jpg (478 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Chrono.Trigger.full.216779.jpg
478 KB, 1500x1000
Try FF VII or Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>321541383
Try playing MOTHER series
>>
Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, and FF6.
>>
>>321542950

pls stop. Ur being spastic again
>>
>>321542950
>It's not Japanese but it's Japanese
>>
>>321541751
>play dark souls and nothing else, don't even think about playing anything animu

Are you implying Dark Souls isn't blatantly Berserk?
>>
>>321541383
they literally suck ass
>>
>>321545034
Why won't my copy of Digital Devil Saga give me a rim job?
>>
File: JAPAN BUT NOT JAPAN.gif (625 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
JAPAN BUT NOT JAPAN.gif
625 KB, 500x500
>>321542950

>Fugg

ey guys, know of a game thats not japanese but japanese ???
>>
>>321545669
Those shitty Western animu VNs on Steam.
>>
My problem when playing JRPG's is that you have to have played them since the first FF to understand them.
Maybe I'm just too retarted but I can never figure out what gear to put on what character, or what every individual stat does.
It's like they make up new debuff effects every game that take a shitton of work to figure out and experiment with.
Idk man, I just don't think the genre is right for me.
>>
>>321547674

I'm not sure anything more complicated than coloring books is right for you.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.