[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I, and Darks Souls II now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 20942_dark_souls.jpg (502 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
20942_dark_souls.jpg
502 KB, 1920x1200
I have Demon's Souls, Dark Souls I, and Darks Souls II now.

Let's talk about Souls Games!
>>
File: 420am.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
420am.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
>>321531856
Let's talk about Souls Games!
How good is DS3 going to be?
>>
Should i buy dark souls 2 or just wait for 3 to come out?
>>
>>321532120
Might as well play Scholar of the First Sin. But get it on sale.
>>
>>321532093
Let's be honest, even if it's the weakest "souls" game, it will still be better than 90% of what's out there.

>>321532120
If you like em, gotta play em all.
>>
Want to do a fresh run but wheres that image that your post decides what you play as. Finally gonna do it.
>>
>>321532120
get SotFS on sale right now if you wanna play it. Not gonna be blown away but its fun regardless.
>>
>>321532093
Probably pretty good, although I feel like they're never going to go back to the DaS level design, where bonfires are midpoints and shortcuts let you access every part of the level quicker.

Did they say anything about warping in between bonfires? That was something I didn't like in DaS2 and they kept it up in Bloodborne, which I felt was a mistake.
>>
>>321531856
Okay, I'm just going to address the elephant in the room: Dark souls 2 is shit, out of the 2 souls games I've played + BB
>>
>>321533187
Is it shit, or is it just not as good?
>>
File: shadow tower.png (357 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
shadow tower.png
357 KB, 640x448
you should play the superior souls game
>>
>>321533253
I probably will hunt these down at some point.
>>
>>321533247
It's all relative.

I didn't enjoy Dark Souls 2 very much because everything about it was disappointing compared to the previous games.

I'm sure someone who just starts on 2 will have a much better time of it.
>>
>>321533247
Honestly, I thought it was shit and infuriating. It only started to grow on me once I clocked 80 hours. Other will feel differently but it should take that long for me to get into it.

>inb4 why play for so long if you hate it

I like the series and rarely drop games once I've started them
>>
>>321533247
Not as good.
>>
I finally got myself a PS4.

I bought Bloodborne on release just to have it even though I didn't have a PS4 until now

What am I into, /v/?
>>
>>321533481
*shouldn't take that long
>>
File: 1389501912823.jpg (131 KB, 315x367) Image search: [Google]
1389501912823.jpg
131 KB, 315x367
When was the exact moment you knew you got gud, /v/
>>
>>321533568
A good game with infuriating weapon distribution problems.
>>
>>321533568
Remember all that stuff you loved about Dark Souls?

It's been removed
>>
>>321533568
Lots of fun.
Ayyliums.
Don't trust Iosefka.
Chalice dungeons are shit but you'll probably want to do them at least once. Ignore the "Root" chalices, they are not required and only add to the suffering.

And >>321533670
Making my Bloodtinge build, and getting the weapons is an exercise on frustration.
>>
>>321533628
When I perfected Artorias on SL1 I knew I got gud.

After perfecting Manus on the same run I knew I mastered the game.
>>
DaS1 was my favorite game for like two years but I've gotten sick of Souls games lately. I'm kind of glad DaS3 is going to be the last one for the time being.
>>
>>321533628
I did a no-death run of DaS1 in under 20 hours.
>>
>>321533670
This. The thing I love about the previous games is that if you wanted to design a build around a specific weapon it was usually a matter of knowing the shortcuts since you could get damn near anywhere from the start of the game. Bloodborne has so many fucking barriers locking you out of content until a certain point, and specific variants of certain weapons are locked in the Chalice Dungeons.
>>
>>321533568
Dark Souls: DMC edition.

Feel free to hack away at the enemies and dodge like you'd never have, even with the DWGR. Prepare to deal with some of the things you hated about Dark Souls II like the hittrading and the enemies dealing bullshit damage to the point where you usually lose about half your HP when hit.
>>
>>321533856
I thought I was sick of them, but I'm still playing lots of Bloodborne. Granted the game's on the short side, so it doesn't overstay its welcome (especially when it's a lot more streamlined than proper Souls games), but I just really like the formula. Nice, simple, gratifying combat, stats that make a difference on how the game feels, solid level design, and interesting enemies. The things that make these games good are practically universal.

I really think it's just because of DaS2 that I thought I was burning out, because all the slight shitty annoying things about DaS2 and its DLC were exhausting.
>>
I have DaS1 but back in the day I had a very shitty PC and couldn't pull it off.
Now I have a pretty decent one.
Is there like a fix for the FPS and everything to make it run well?
>>
>>321534225
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19/?
>>
File: 1431734316257.jpg (307 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
1431734316257.jpg
307 KB, 1280x718
Anyone has the DaS version of this?
>>
File: 7886t7.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
7886t7.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I think souls games have set the bar high for the fantasy rpg genre. I tried playing lords of the fallen and it just felt so fucking wack. was this a universally hated game or are my standards just too high?
>>
>>321534325
Let's see.
>>
>>321534063
It's especially stupid because the game is pretty much linear. You play through 70% of the game with the starter weapons when you're trying to make a specific build.
>>
File: dualdragonsmasher.jpg (745 KB, 1000x1326) Image search: [Google]
dualdragonsmasher.jpg
745 KB, 1000x1326
>>321533628
Probably the first time I killed an invader with the best weapon in the series.

Rarely happened but WHEN IT DID.
>>
>>321534667
Nah thanks I think I'll pass.
>>
>>321534325
rollan
>>
>>321534573
It was ok for 1 playthrough. The setting was ok, but the level design was DaS2 tier levels of bad, at points even worse.

I liked how weighty the weapons felt, it felt like they really packed a punch. Other than that and its graphics, there was nothing particularly good about it.
>>
>>321534573
Yeah, posting berserk and playing souls shows jsut how high your standards are.
Lord of the fallen is a shit game, but play something else, get some consoles since you're probably a mustard like the rest of edgelords, there are more quality games there, that's what souls are.
>>
>>321534825
Another deprived greathammer run? ... christ.

Sorry, re-rollan.
>>
Man those games are too frustrating for me. I got a PS4 with Bloodborne but I just can't be arsed to keep trying. I think this is the moment when I realize I'm never gonna get into the series.
>>
>>321532093
hope they fix the awful latency on pvp
>>
>>321534917
Are you ok anon?
>>
>>321532120
anon you are now infected by the meme parasite and you are fucked for life
>>
Should I play demon's souls?
>>
File: 1450115889716.jpg (61 KB, 442x390) Image search: [Google]
1450115889716.jpg
61 KB, 442x390
>Souls games are hard
>>
>>321535027
They really aren't THAT hard, just hard by modern standards. It's not Contra or Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>321535525
I dunno man. I was able to beat Ninja Gaiden 2 (inb4 hurr 2 is easy), but having to fight the same enemies over and over again in the Souls series is just so tedious.
>>
>>321532569
requesting.

I made a really fun dex character that uses katanas in das. But I feel like I spoiled it because I used summons a few times. I already want to make the same character over again and play it clean with no summons.
>>
>>321535475
Unless you're accustomed to this style of gameplay or grew up on Dante Must Die difficulty, yeah, it's gonna be hard for the average player. Not many games nowadays reward preparation before a bossfight like these games do.
>>
>>321535027
The Souls games can be extremely frustrating but once you git gud, they are so fun
>>
>>321535642
Just run past everything then.
>>
>>321535756
Is that actually a valid strategy
>>
>>321535642
>Ninja Gaiden 2
>Has trouble with Souls
You are either bullshiting me or you played on normal mode.
>>
>>321533116
They did that on dlc of dark souls 2. Every single dlc plays exactly like 1, with shortcuts and fewer bonfires.

I just hope they take what they learned with bloodborne and make fun bosses like Orphan of Kos.
>>
>>321535835
Most souls enemies aren't actually that fast and won't track you down if you can get past them. Making a mad dash for the fog gate or shortcuts is easier than trying to kill everything in our way.
>>
>>321535934
>you played on normal mode.
Probably. I don't remember cause it was years ago, but knowing myself I doubt I'd chose hard difficulty in a game like Ninja Gaiden. Still, don't tell me that makes it easy
>>321536062
Fair enough. I guess I'll try that next time.
>>
File: Maldron the nice guy.png (236 KB, 262x490) Image search: [Google]
Maldron the nice guy.png
236 KB, 262x490
>>321533628
>Using only Lance and Greatshield
>No buff at all
>No sorcery, miracle, hex, pyromancy
>on pvp arena
>vs buffed, hex katana pyromancy, souls spear spam, forbidden sun spam, while wearing jester armor
>I fucking win

I manage to get 99 win after 3455 lose

I fucking count
>>
>>321536107
>Probably. I don't remember cause it was years ago, but knowing myself I doubt I'd chose hard difficulty in a game like Ninja Gaiden. Still, don't tell me that makes it easy
Fair enough. It just seemed ridiculous to me because the reflexes required to beat NG2 (360 at least) on anything beyond Warrior Mode are much higher than any Souls game, to the point where most encounters in any Souls game feel like a slideshow.

Acolyte Mode is piss easy if you chose that, and Warrior Mode is pretty much the same but without less crutches, however the first time it can kick your ass because you don't really know the combat system.
>>
>>321536396
To be honest I might just not have the same spirit and energy for games anymore. I've grown kinda casual as they years went by. I have a hard time to have fun playing vidya.
>>
>>321533628

When I realized I was moveset > damage, and that the best weapons are not the weird or rare ones, but the basic upgraded ones.

Also when I learned to fully use the full moveset of weapons, instead of spamming r1s and the ocasional r2
>>
>>321532093
My 2 year old can't get enough of death grips desu, the meme is over lads, it's kiddie music now.
>>
>>321536056
My concern is that Bloodborne is not designed like 1. It's a lot more predictable with its shortcuts to bosses and the interconnected world isn't really used.
>>
>>321536569
Maybe you're burnt out. Take a rest and do something else for a while. Reading novels, studying something, developing a skill, whatever. I'm similar in that very few games I like well enough, but the ones I do end up with me playing for hundreds of hours.
>>
>>321535027
I don't like it when Bloodborne ramped up the difficulty. It's not complex enough for that, like Ninja Gaiden or DMC, and it's not like you die in three hits in those games either.

It's just simple, hard and frustrating. Unlike the other games I mentioned, these put you back a lot, and repeating those areas is annoying. Tedious.

Try Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Those are easier and you'll get used to the gameplay. These games are definitely best enjoyed when you're not dying often.
Keep putting points in VIT, the more you have the more HP each increment gives you. When you don't die, you don't have to keep retrying the area over and over.
>>
>>321536962
I think part of why I have an easier time with these games than most people do is because I actually enjoy grinding quite a bit.
>>
>>321536396
Souls is not easier just because it's slower. Because Ninja Gaiden isn't hard because it's fast either.

I played Dark Souls at 1.5x speed at some point and it didn't feel even slightly harder, but it did feel a lot less tedious because there's that much less time spent.
>>
>>321536962
Bloodborne is the easiest out of the souls games though, name a boss in bloodborne that even comes close difficulty wise as ancient dragon
>>
File: ornstein-smough-large.jpg (100 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
ornstein-smough-large.jpg
100 KB, 600x338
>Been breaking my nuts against Ornstein and Smough almost all day
>I weld a Lighting Gargoyle Halberd, not bad against Smough pre-buff, horrible for both of them in phase 2
>Got about ten Humanities and 5 doubles
>Summon my nigga Solaire, can almost reliably get to phase 2
>Waste tons of Humanities killing Smough first and getting impaled by Ornstein's super sayan form
>Summon others players whenever I can, realize I'm a bloody scrub
>Down to 1 try left, after that it's back to the Depth to farm rats
>Summon two others players
>One distract Smough while me and the other kill Ornstein
>They do 80% of the work in phase 2 while I poke Smough's greasy asshole once in a while
>They leave before I even say thank you

Thank you brehs, it's from the heart, I hope one day I'll git gud and be a reliable help for desperate people.

On the subject, I noticed almost no one I summoned bothered healing himself, does summoning block Estus ? If so, why don't people equip that healing Miracle ?
>>
what sword is that
>>
What exactly is the benefit of reverse hollowing
>>
>>321537174
Well yeah, AI and complexity of the combat system are the main reasons why NG is harder, but the speed does matter even if just a bit.
>>
>>321537235
Dark Souls II and Bloodborne are about equally difficult overall(excluding the boss you mentioned, which is optional anyways). Not to their credit though.
Dark Souls I is easier, but also more interesting to play. You actually have to plan your actions a bit, instead of just DPSing everything away. In DaS1, whether you land a hit or not matters more than how much damage you did, which is good, but I feel they got this the other way around in DaS2.
>>
Just got into DaS. Is it right to be grinding the same area over and over for levels or is it faggy?
>>
>>321533628
It went through stages. First stage is when I realized that weapon upgrades matter more than stats, and I learned to spend my experience more wisely.

Second stage is currently happening now with a dex character im working on. No shields, relying on dodging and parrying. I sucked with this character for like a week because I was so used to playing the block/attack knight character type.

Then I fought capra demon and slayed him on the second try. It was a super fast fight with me rolling and dodging all over the place in this small cramped shoe-box of a room, slashing at him a few times then dodging away again, and I slayed him. One of the best experiences I have had playing vidya.
>>
>>321537235
Fuck that faggot. I had to two-hand the Gyrm or whatever shield to not die to its fire.
>>
>>321537252
Summoned Phantoms cannot use Estus Flasks themselves, but you can heal them with yours. Some do equip the heal miracle, some don't. If you are a little weaker at the game, but want to really help your phantoms, Faith build (Cleric).
>>
>>321537235
Ancient Dragon isn't difficult though, just insanely cheap and tedious. I don't know if they patched this, but it used to be fifteen minutes of whacking in between his toes, running away from his stupid ground pound instakill, and then running back to whack at his toes.
>>
>>321537431
Can summon phantoms, increased item discovery. Leaves you open to invasions though.
>>
>>321537431
You can kindle bonfires to +10 instead of+5 estus flasks, and you can summon phantoms.
>>
>>321537543
It's just ineffective. You can get levels(more souls) and gear & upgrades that makes you stronger much faster if you keep progressing instead.
>>
>>321537235
>ancient dragon
The ancient dragon is a boss in the same way that Bed of Chaos is a boss. It's not about skill or preparation or reaction, it's about knowing how best to cheese it. In terms of difficulty I'd say Gherman, Gascoigne, Ludwig, and Ebrietas are more difficult than 99% of what any of the previous games had to offer.
>>
>>321537573
Flash sweat pyromancy, fire quartz ring and it's still gonna kill you in 2 hits even with 99 vit, so fucking tough senpai.
>>
>>321537604
Reversing hollowing won't increase item discovery. Having soft humanity does, up to 10 humanity.
Having just 1 over 0 increases it from 100 to 150 though, and 10 gives you 210.
Beyond that, you can only increase it with gold serpent ring or symbol of avarice.
>>
>>321537583
>Summoned Phantoms cannot use Estus Flasks themselves, but you can heal them with yours
Shit, didn't know that. I feel bad now, because I tend to heal using the miracle before a boss as I think Estus is faster in the heat of the moment.

For future reference, do I just have to drink one and both players will get healed ?
>>
>>321537864
Yeah you drink one and both players will heal the amount of your estus flask. Don't worry if it looks like your estus heal wasn't ver much, it just means your phantom has very high VIT.
>>
>>321537864
They get reduced effect from it. You have to judge whether to use it to just heal them if you have full HP or to save some for later when it could benefit the both of you but put them at bigger risk of death.
Depends on how many you have by the time you reach boss.
>>
>>321537864
Miracles can also heal other players if they're close by, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>321535667
>or grew up on Dante Must Die difficulty

You don't have to grow up on DMD difficulty.

As long as you've played games that require basic levels of reflexes and pattern memorization then you should be good to go.

In terms of games requiring fast reflexes, aside from playing DMC games on Normal difficulty, I grew up playing Mega Man and Mega Man X games in the mid-to-late 1990s.

I've never been able to beat any DMC game on DMD difficulty, yet I was able to beat all the Souls games. DMD difficult is on a whole 'nother league in terms of difficulty compared to the Souls games, especially DMD on DMC1 and DMC3.
>>
>>321537774
What?
Gherman and Gascoigne are super easy.
Also ludwig and ebrietas are about as difficult as most other end game bosses of the souls series.
>>
>>321531856
Why is the Elite knight armor so fucking amazing?
or more accuratly

why does every single armor from the souls series suck aside from the EKS?
>>
>>321537774
Gehrman is a peice of piss though if you can parry, I've never died to him, or papa gascan, only done erbitrarse once and with a summon and not played dlc yet so couldn't speak for ludwig.
>>
>>321538067
Only high level ones you get from Princess's Bodyguards covenant. Heal, Great Heal Excerpt and Great Heal will not.
>>
>>321534325

Roll
>>
>>321533628
i beat gwyn without parrying with Velka's Rapier

i didn't know you could parry him.
>>
>>321538117
Because you haven't found giants, black iron or havel's yet.
>>
>>321535475
>not understanding what makes darksouls difficult for some players

Go play Castlevania 1
>>
>>321535475
>let friend borrow Dark Souls
>come over to watch him play
>asks me "what's behind this", "what's this enemy do", "is this thing any good" to every little thing
>don't answer anything because I just want him to play the fucking game
>gets to the gargoyle boss
>doing alright
>second gargoyle comes down
>he doesn't notice the second health bar appear
>literally throws his controller the moment the second gargoyle hits him
>"this game is fucking bullshit!"
I've got other stories about him playing Dark Souls. He's like a case study on how not to play the game

As a bonus, same guy:
>friend talks about how Demon's Souls is the greatest game of it's console generation
>he never played it
>just watched an LP
>>
>>321533628
I was a shield faggot all the way through ds1 and 2. I didn't roll or move all that much, just hid behind the biggest shield I could find. Every boss attack with even the slightest of elemental damage would fuck me up, since all I cared about was that 100% physical block.

Then I realized on ds2 NG+ that it's possible for me to dual wield zweihanders. That's the point where I started to actually dodge attacks and play more aggressively, which is much more efficient and fun.
>>
>>321538187
You sure about that? I think Heal/Great Heal do if you're standing in the circle.
>>
File: 2015-12-19_00007.jpg (300 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-19_00007.jpg
300 KB, 1366x768
>>321538117
The armor may suck, but it is pretty damn fashionable
>>
>>321537252
>Summoned players can only heal with Divine blessings and humanity iirc.
>>
>>321538114
>ebrietas
I literally killed her before she did anything
>>
>>321535667
>or grew up on Dante Must Die difficulty
Nah, I couldn't play those games worth a fuck.

As long as you grew up during PS2 era, the games aren't hard. They're tough, but fair.
>>
>>321538436
Try this for fashion
Pardoner Set sans hat
Black Sorcerer Hat
Whip or Club
>>
>>321538425
At least in DaS1, only Bountiful Sunlight and Soothing Sunlight can heal other players.
>>
>>321538095
>As long as you've played games that require basic levels of reflexes and pattern memorization then you should be good to go.
Which pretty much nobody spouting this meme has. The people saying DaS is the hardest game ever aren't the kind of people that play the games you're describing.

>>321538114
>>321538171
I'll say that I shouldn't have said Gherman since he's not too bad, but Gascoigne is easily the hardest early game boss in the series. Being able to beat him reliably requires understanding and frequently using a mechanic that you haven't had much time to practice with yet and was new to the series. That, piled on top of the fact that some people encountered him before Cleric, puts him miles ahead of Phalanx, Taurus Demon and Last Giant. He's not too bad on subsequent playthroughs because of viscerals, but too many people seem to forget that he's the one who made them git gud with viscerals in the first place.

>Also ludwig and ebrietas are about as difficult as most other end game bosses of the souls series.
I would disagree. Maybe I'm just bad with bigger bosses, but I can't understand how anyone could say that Nito or Seath are on par with Ludwig on a difficulty level. Maybe I'm just far better at Souls gameplay than Bloodborne gameplay, but even on my first run I never had too much trouble with them, and DaS was my first souls game. Ludwig and Ebrietas, however, each took over half a dozen tries.
>>
Just got 2, still have no fucking clue where to go but I'm already good enough with the controls, but I hate how the endurance and vitality got separated. Overall it's okay I guess
>>
>>321538578
not bad, not bad.
>>
>>321538436
I like to mix it up a bit. Wanderer's manchettes and black leather trousers. And chaos blade.
>>
File: chuckling duckling.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
chuckling duckling.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>321537252
>filename
>ornstein-smough-large.jpg
>image is 600x338
>>
Complete newbie here. Is there a way to defeat the Taurus Demon that doesn't involve cheesing with plunging attacks? It seems the whole place is way too narrow for me to do anything and my attacks do shit-all to him.
>>
>>321538639
Helps if you found the music box I guess, Gascoigne really isn't hard at all. Maybe I just got gud, haven't really played much else for the last 3 years.
>>
>>321538650
Did you find the last giant already? If not, keep wandering around the forest of the fallen giants.
Otherwise, head for Heide. One of the bosses there is obviously easier than the other, and beyond the easier one you can advance.
>>
>>321539045
Use the gold pine resin you found in undead burg.
>>
>>321537252
You can become human by putting down your sign and helping someone kill the boss.
>>
>>321539045
Find an armor-equipment combination that allows you to fastroll while still wearing as much protection as possible. Time your rolls right and you'll pass right through his attacks. You have 0.4 seconds of invincibility at the start of each roll when you're fastrolling.

This way you'll be close to him right after his attack and can strike them.
>>
>>321537431
You can engage in PvP, both coop and invasions.
>>
>>321537252
Killing O&S solo is the last time I felt something from a video game. That fucking adrenaline rush. And I'll never do it for the first time again.
>>
>>321539289
Do it at level 1. Or just low level if 1 is too hard.
>>
>>321539045
As the other anon said: Use gold pine resin.

But also - What weapon are you using?
>>
>>321539045
Roll through him.
>>
>>321533253
I can't deal with the controls
>>
I really couldn't get into Dark Souls.

I really like the atmosphere and the world but I found the gameplay really boring, and found having to do parts again and again until I reach the next bonfire boring too.
>inb4 git gud
I didn't find it fun and I couldn't just sit down and play it, I had to play it in small amounts.

I got as far as the blacksmith bloke desu and stopped there. Maybe I'll go back to idk.
>>
>>321538273
At least with Elite Knight's set you can actually dodge.
>>
>>321539045
My roommate is complete shit at the game, but he managed to beat the Taurus Demon.

What he did was hug its nutsuck and just kept swinging. It never hit him once. I don't know how.
>>
>Let's talk about Souls Games!
Sure.

Manus has probably grown to be one of my favorite bosses I've ever faced. It's really well done, terrifying to boot and offers a more than decent challenge.
Mind me, Artorias and the other DLC bosses are great. But while after repeated playthrough Artorias kinda became standard, Manus has never failed to punish me for being a cheeky cunt.
>>
File: standard combo.png (11 KB, 160x90) Image search: [Google]
standard combo.png
11 KB, 160x90
>>321539514
WHAT RING U GOT BICH
>>
>Let my little sis try Dark Souls for a giggle
>She creates a new character
>Babysit her a bit
>She actually beat the Asylum Demon quicker than me

I'm embarassed.
>>
they're all good, definitely better than 95% of what's out there

BACKSTABUUUUUUUU
>>
>>321539720
Literally thoses two.
>>
>>321538064
>You have to judge whether to use it to just heal them if you have full HP or to save some for later when it could benefit the both of you but put them at bigger risk of death.
And you will still piss them off.

>summon help on Four Kings because I'm not able to get good
>phantom gets fucking wrecked in one shot
>get lengthy message how I'm a bad host who needs to heal his phantoms
I don't think he even damaged the boss.

But in the end I got good and killed the boss by myself. So fuck him.
>>
>Demon's Souls
Great. More.
>Dark Souls
Great. More.
>Dark Souls II
I still don't understand why, but I fucking detest it.
>Bloodborn
Never ever
>Dark Souls 3
There's a 50% chance it will suck.
>>
>>321539791
Pump up some end.
But seriously, EK's pretty baller, at least for the helmet and chest piece. You just don't get enough poise if you go full on with it if you want to duel with the best.
>>
Soul Memory a SHIT
A SHIT
I love the online play but then I eventually get blocked from finding people in an area, also do blue eye orbs ever work?
>>
>>321539723
That's nothing. I was bested by DarkSydePhil.
>>
>>321539835
>summon help on Four Kings
See, this is the fatal mistake you made.
Not even not being good because everyone can get good eventually, given they don't have brain problems.
But you just don't summon for 4kids. It's never a good idea.

The guy who put down his summon sign there is a double idiot.
>>
>>321540042
If soul memory pisses you off so much why don't you have a low level pvp only character? pvp becomes unbalanced beyond level 70 anyway
>>
>>321533628
When I was pulling off Giant dad build shit without the equipment.
>>
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
>improved gameplay
>free play mode instead of going straight to NG+
>more area variety
>3 huge DLCs over a single linear one
>ability to respecc
>ability to change gender
>more summons
>better covenants
>pvp arenas
>more healing items than Estus and Divine Blessings
>Faith builds are viable
>Enemy despawns make areas easier to backtrack
Yeah, It has some flaws but I can't see any actual reason to hate DS2. Marked improvements on almost every front.
>>
>>321540295
>just keep a low level char
that's literally not how SM works
>>
Balder Side Shield +15 is the single most overpowered item in DaS.
>>
>>321540202
Yeah, I learned that fact later. I was so close to killing them with Phantoms once I kept trying. I would have won sooner if I stopped doing that.

But Four Kings ended my first playthrough, but I was being a retard. I leveled all my stats evenly. All of them. Someone better could have gotten good and won with that character, but not me. Not at the time. It was a fucking mess.
>>
>>321539883
>I still don't understand why, but I fucking detest it.
Are you me? I never really bought into the DaS2 hate train, but every single time I try to get back into it I just can't. Any interest I had is drained before I even reach Last Giant and I just uninstall, then I just start Demon's or DaS again for my billionth playthrough and have fun.
>>
>>321539045
you can make him fall the bridge but its easier to just kill it
>>
>>321540431
Early game is terrible.

>Faith builds are viable

As if they weren't viable in DaS.
>>
>>321533628
when i forgot to summon a helper guy and still killed the fire spider on my first try
>>
>>321540431
>improved gameplay
Stopped taking you seriously right there.
>>
>>321540556
It's strong as shit, but before you go NG+, heater shield +15 still blocks fucking everything at weight of 2.0 vs balder shield's 4.0
>>
>>321539432
Straight-up broadsword
>>
>>321540528
Im aware of the mechanics properties senpai, once you've got the red sign soapstone you don't need to kill another enemy therefore your soul memory will remain the same.
>>
>>321540643
I turned on DaS2 for the first time since the month it came out just yesterday. I really felt like playing since I never challenged the last boss despite having cleared the path to her.

So, I did that. Then I turned the game off and played DaS1.
>>
Loved Dark Souls 1.
Tried Demon's Souls, could not never get into it. Feels clunky, clumsy and dated. Wasn't a fun experience.
Sucked Dark Souls 2 dry like a mad hooker.
I am hyped for Dark Souls 3.

That being said, the whole PVP fuzz in Souls games is not my style.
>>
>>321540794
It is objective fact. Otherwise, prove it, how is Dark Souls 1 better gamplay wise?
>>
File: 270-cover-reveal-spread.jpg (176 KB, 1229x800) Image search: [Google]
270-cover-reveal-spread.jpg
176 KB, 1229x800
So /v/ what kind of build you guys planning to use for your first run? I usually go for a Str. build, looking for the biggest sword in the game for the 1st run through.
>>
>>321541121
You're the one talking sense senpai, I can't play ds1 anymore after bb and ds2, it's slow as fuck, it was good for its day but aged really quickly.
>>
Just got Dark Souls this week. Game is not that extremely hair-pullingly hard (the whole system just envolves around dying). Hardest thing about the game is non-linearity: never fucking know where I'm supposed to go or what's too tough for me to take. I'm playing with Mkb since I don't have a controller that doesn't glitch the whole windows thing up. Only bullshit thing I beat yet was the stray demon. If my controls weren't so shit I might have gotten him down the normal way (I fucking hate my camera getting stuck in the wall with the mouse control) but I had to look up a cheese strat. His hitbox is extremely shitty as well (and the ghost hitboxes as well). The only place in the game yet where I've encountered outright bad design.
>>
>>321541121
Far better combat. You know, the primary aspect of those fucking games.
>>
>>321535475
>greentexting anime avatar faggot
>>
>>321539045
Hop up onto the tower with the archers and wait, he will jump up eventually, giving you a ton more room to work with.
>>
>>321540846
I agree, however I've been doing an SL1 run, Balder +15 with favour and protection was straight up blocking fucking Kalameet and I'm kind of in awe with that shield at the moment.
>>
>>321540850
Roll through his swing, land a heavy attack with two hands right after that, retreat, repeat. This is the best and the fastest strategy.
>>
>>321541306
Sounds like ADHD.
>>
What do you think, will they finally fix the camera issues that plague those games in DaS 3?
>>
>>321541236
Generic knight is always my first run. Maybe I'll spec a bit into faith if I feel it's necessary or if I find a neat looking miracle. Heavy armor, one-handed sword, medium shield, quality build.
>>
>>321541236
First runs:
>Demon's Souls
Little bit everything. Meat Cleaver made it work. Dipped more into sorceries late game.
>Dark Souls
Dex. Used a bow more than I used a sword. Dipped into sorceries late game/NG+ and it slowly took over my build. Glassy as fuck.
>Dark Souls 2
Str. Medium armor, greatshield, and a greatsword. No magic.
>Dark Souls 3
Probably Faith-based.
>>
>>321541479
Just sounds like you can't handle progress. Anyone who's completed all 4 multiple times will tell you demons souls and dark souls play like shit when compared to bb and ds2.
>>
>>321534325
rollerino
>>
Is upgrading shields and armour worthwhile? I'm at Gwyn on my first play through and I've only ever upgraded weapons.
>>
>>321541825
kinda
>>
>>321541236
for the first ds i use a full str build (it was not a build i just put everything on str). For sotfs i made a dex build, later i discover powerstance and made a dex dual katana but in the end i went back to str with the demon great hammer. For ds3 magic or miracle
>>
>>321539459
Been years, what's the problem?
>>
>>321540431
It just feels clunkier, but I don't think it's worse than DaS1; some things are better, some worse.
I have high hopes for 3.
>>
>>321541825
It helps. I wouldn't fully upgrade anything unless you want to farm/dupe slabs.

In general, all damage is preventable by dodging. I'd rather just deal more damage to end the fight sooner in order to decrease the chances that I fuck up.
>>
>>321541730
Nice choices, but much like >>321541528,
I always enjoying being a strength monster knight for my first run, then on NG+ experiment with either Dex or Magic
>>
>>321541479
There's no whatsoever benefit to making the game slow though. It just wastes the player's time, and even if some players can take it, it still doesn't improve the game for them.
Ergo, NOT wasting players time with extremely slow parts is considered an improvement. Note that Dark Souls 1 is still guilty of this, but to much lesser extent that DaS2.
Games shouldn't feel like tedious work. Difficulty adds tension, but tedium doesn't just because enduring it is hard.
>>
File: DaS Roll Game.jpg (255 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
DaS Roll Game.jpg
255 KB, 1280x800
>>321534325
>>
>>321542220
I'm just looking for each first playthrough to be a little bit different.

Only Faith run I've done, ever, was on DaS1 and my PS3 died during the run. I never got to finish.
>>
>>321540643
I partially blame the controls. Game feels like ass.
>>
>>321531856
You're missing King's Field games
Get the fuck out you fucking poser scrub.
>>
>>321542501
finally, rolling
>>
>>321540431
Faith builds got nerfed to shit
>>
>>321540431
Faith builds got nerfed to shit
>>
>>321541236
>light armor
>thrusting sword
>no shield
>fast roll
>all dex'd out
My favorite build to use in Souls games. "looking for the biggest sword in the game" is usually a good one also
>>
>>321541236
I usually go with a lightrolling quality build, but I'll probably go pure STR for DS3 since it looks so much faster.
>>
File: 1449978334067.png (223 KB, 740x351) Image search: [Google]
1449978334067.png
223 KB, 740x351
Will Dark Souls 3 still have invasions while hollow? That's what I was most looking forward to in 2.
>>
File: 360152971.jpg (50 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
360152971.jpg
50 KB, 640x360
I thought this Souls game was alright.
>>
>>321542501
>only Magic
Is there even enough casts to get you through some areas, especially early on? If there were Demon's Souls with the MP bar, I'd understand.
>>
>>321543193
You can buy more from Rickert right away.
>>
>>321543073
It was kinda cruel though.
>get my first red orbs from the arena
>start invading at huntsman copse
>find the guy and destroy him with lightning and claymore
>invade again
>find the same guy and destroy him with lightning and claymore
>invade again
>find the same guy and destroy him with lightning and claymore
>invade again
>same guy
>mercy him and black crystal out
The guy obviously had no PvP experience, while I had already been beating up people in duels in DaS1 for hundreds of hours. It was just my first character in DaS2 too, so nothing that special.
>>
>>321543534
>invade a guy in Castle Drangleic
>see that the double doors leading to the first bonfire aren't open yet
>backstab him as he goes to open them, sending him back to the previous area
>has to get past the elephant knights and shit all over again
>invade him two more times and kill him before he can reach the bonfire again
That shit was hilarious, got three messages in broken english after that calling me a cunt.
>>
>>321543846
This is why I don't play online.
>>
If I leave the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant to save Solaire by joining the Chaos Servants, can I come back by simply asking at the altar ? Should I keep my Sunlight Medals until then or will I get my rank back ?
>>
>>321542501
last time was fisting pyromancer
>>
>>321545016
keep your medals and give them once you've rejoined after chaos covenant business
>>
I cant fucking stand the mechanic and the lore in DS2, its such a piece of shit compared to the other games
>>
>>321543961
I do online only after the first playthrough. Purely offline before that.

Speaking of which can PC versions do offline? I'm not getting a console just for DaS3
>>
>>321545530
Just block them in Windows firewall.
>>
>>321531856
>just started playing Demon's Souls for the first time
>mfw I'm already enjoying it more than either of the Dark Souls games
>>
>>321545702
It's rough around the edges in parts, but the atmosphere is many times better.

I can't really pick between it and Dark Souls.
>>
>>321545702
DaS1 lore is superiour, but its also fun, loved boletaria myself
>>
>>3>>321545857
I disagree with that atmosphere thing, but whatever, to each their own.

Demon's Souls had a lot more fantastic elements and some really horrifying imagery, but Dark Souls had a much better sense of place and history.
>>
>>321540431
It's not terrible it iust wasn't anything impressive. Variety in viable builds was nice but area design and online felt lacking. This game is 1 step forward 2 steps back. I still really liked it but I'm also a huge fanboy.
>>
>>321545702
Well it IS a lot easier.

Wait till you get to the rolling skeletons of broken hitboxes though.
>>
>>321539045
Up the ladder
Plunge attack
Run across bridge
Turn back, dodge demon
Repeat until dead

Seriously why not do this? What do you have against it?
>>
>>321540431
>improved gameplay
Why do people say this? The gameplay detoriated from the first game.
>>
>>321546064
I really like the way that magic is built into the setting in Demon's Souls, and how it's something fantastical even for the characters in the game. Dark Souls feels like it has magic just because it's a fantasy game. Obviously it's for gameplay reasons, but it's just something I really appreciate about DeS.
>>
>>321531856
Can I cum in your mouth?
>>
>>321546494
Because they're ignorant.
>>
>>321540431
It has piss poor level design, shitty bonfire placement, SM and i-frames tied to a stat.

It's shit.
>>
>>321546537
I go the other way, I like how scientific the magic in DaS is. I like that the item descriptions attempt to justify and explain the effects various spells have, like where the description of the Chameleon spell says that you can't ever become fully invisible or you'll just cease to exist altogether.
>>
>>321541058
How the fuck can you love DaS and say that DeS is clunky when the gameplay is exactly the same as DaS but faster
>>
>>321546537
That's underselling Dark Souls. It gave an explanation and backstory for pyromancy, had a few NPCs and a boss character revolve around the study of magic and the arcane, and also had a lot of implications about how faith was the power of the gods.
>>
>>321546839
Yes, but what IS magic? It's not a question you'd expect to have an answer, but it does in DeS.
>>
>>321531856
I got Dark Souls 1 for the PS3 for Christmas. I haven't played a Souls game before. What am I in for?
>>
>>321540431
How are faith builds not viable in DeS or DaS you shitter?
>>
>>321541058
>Demon's Souls...Feels clunky, clumsy, and dated
>Sucked Dark Souls 2 dry like a mad hooker

Bizzarro /v/?
>>
>>321546928
That's true. I also liked that it's pretty much flat-out stated in DeS that miracles and sorcery is pretty much the same thing, since they reasonably would be.
>>
>>321546839
Not him. I liked it too, feels very middle-aged, but it does take some shortcuts, just assumes a lot of fantasy tropes.
It still ends up feeling like it was added there just because, and then gets built upon, but its origin or nature remains unclear and it's really transparent why.
>>
>>321546953
Fun.
>>
>>321546953
15FPS about 30% of time.
But a game that's both tricky but quickly rewarding when you learn.
>>
>>321546953
More than a little frustration, but a rewarding experience. A game that's clearly unfinished but was made with love.
>>
>>321546953
Fun and a unique first playthrough experience.

Here's some basic advice:
>if you find yourself facing too strong enemies, you probably went to the wrong place and should look for a different route
>don't level RES
>Upgrade your weapons, upgrading armor is not as important
>level your stats according to what weapon/spells you'd like to use
>don't neglect to level Vit/End
>>
>>321547230
>30%
Do you even math bro?
>>
>>321547230
Stop lying, it's fine most of the time. Blighttown is the only place where the framrate is constantly that low.
>>
>>321540431
>improved gameplay
lmao how

>free play mode instead of going straight to NG+
Admittedly a big improvement.

>more area variety
And? I'm playing a gritty fantasy game, not fucking Mario. I want an awe inspiring, consistent world, not kitchensink shit where an elevator takes me from a giant windmill to a volcano castle in the sky.
Also
>implying half the areas aren't badly textured ruins, often in foresty setting

>3 huge DLCs over a single linear one
>ability to respecc
True.

>ability to change gender
>more summons
Not really improvements, just changes.

>better covenants
ayy lmao

>pvp arenas
The first game had this.

>more healing items than Estus and Divine Blessings
Literally for no reason. There is nothing wrong with the Estus system, except for 20, maybe even 15, estus being too many.

>Faith builds are viable
dude lmao

>Enemy despawns make areas easier to backtrack
In a game where you have warping from the very fucking start? I have literally never seen ANYONE try and defend enemy despawns before.
>>
>>321547365
It's not like it's THAT bad all the time.
But it's true that it lags more than it doesn't, at least on my PS3.
>>
>>321547437
The forest and the firelink are still lag centrals, and you get stutter all the time when there's more than three enemies on the screen or whenever the game's loading more areas. It'd be tolerable if it was drops from 60, but it's already running at low 30.
>>
>>321547437
Lost Izalith is also kinda shit
>>
>>321533628
When I killed Kalameet on SL1 while fatrolling and became able to do it consistently the same day
>>
>>321547616
I can't even see my FPS counter over the glare on the lava most of the time.
>>
>>321541423
>blocking a boss at SL1
What's the fucking point?
>>
File: 1451081049560.jpg (74 KB, 610x395) Image search: [Google]
1451081049560.jpg
74 KB, 610x395
>played countless hours of Bloodborne since it's release
>recently tried to return to Dark Souls
>it just feels sluggish and anti-fun

It's an abstract kind of personal hell
>>
>yfw being summoned for the first time to engage in jolly cooperation
>>
>>321531856
BB> Dark 1> Dark 2

don't have a ps3 so never played Demon's
>>
>>321539045
Walk up to him so he starts attacking, walk back a step to dodge, attack, run away, repeat
>>
File: cute.gif (2 MB, 297x391) Image search: [Google]
cute.gif
2 MB, 297x391
>>321547948
>played countless hours of Bloodborne recently
>recently returned to Dark Souls
>still appreciate the slow combat and get back into my groove in a new SL1 run
I don't know man, I just don't think I'm ever going to stop having fun with this game. I will say that the combat in Bloodborne is generally more fun, though.
>>
>>321541236
Giant dad motherfucker.
>>
File: 1451080828343.jpg (92 KB, 768x783) Image search: [Google]
1451080828343.jpg
92 KB, 768x783
>>321548149
damn son that gif is 2cute
>>
File: 1450801876658.gif (284 KB, 290x180) Image search: [Google]
1450801876658.gif
284 KB, 290x180
>>321547948
>played countless hours of Bloodborne since it's release
>recently tried to return to Dark Souls
>fall in love again with the slow, methodical combat
I like it a lot more than Bloodborne. It's much more satisfying.
>>
>>321532093
IM IN YOUR AREA
>>
>>321541236
I've put hundreds of hours into both DeS and DaS, but I never play through either of those with a sorcery build, so I'm probably going to try that for a change.
>>
>>321547948
>>321548149
I still prefer Dark Souls' slower combat. It makes each strike more considered, where Bloodborne has more of an ebb and flow of R1 spam. I also strongly dislike hyper armor.
>>
>>321548437
>>321548701
It's the slow pace that makes it satisfying. Each hit has much heavier impact in terms of gameplay.

I really hope they can get back into that groove with Dark Souls III. I'm kinda afraid they'll just go with Bloodborne's hasty and spammy style. It's not a bad style but there are games that do it so much better already, but there's really nothing out that does what the first Dark Souls does with combat where you really have to pace your attacks, moves and defending yourself in a specific manner.
>>
>>321534917
Is this autism?
>>
>>321533628

When I did a Pure Black World Tendency run in DeS that included facing Black Phantoms way before I was equipped to deal with them.

When I went through NG+ in DaS with just some shitty robes and 2 handing a scythe

When I conquered Frigid Outskirts and 2Kat without relying on any kind of Summons or Magic/Miracle/Hex cheese

When I conquered the Chalice Dungeons in full and earned my Platinum trophy.

Still raged like a little bitch at Orphan of Kos.
>>
BB > 2 > 1 > Demon's

the games just get better and better, memesters dont reply to me
>>
>>321549142
Agreed. Everybody's going on about how great it is that DaS3 is taking queues from Bloodborne, but I can't help but be disappointed. Really though, I'm just happy it doesn't look like DS2.
>>
>>321543846
doesn't it give you an alert when someone invades you? how could he fall for this 3 times in a row?
>>
>>321547739
Is that even possible with how fucked up the hit box on the nose dive is and the way you get dragged about while in i frames when fat rolling
>>
>>321549223
>When I did a Pure Black World Tendency run in DeS that included facing Black Phantoms way before I was equipped to deal with them.
I first start playing during that one-year anniversary that had every world everywhere be Pure Black.

I learned to get good real quick. I had to.
>>
>>321532120
shittiest souls game in terms of fun
a lot of reused content and shit
longest game though, no bosses are hard
>>
File: 5313374219_2ace1a3b7b_o.jpg (548 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
5313374219_2ace1a3b7b_o.jpg
548 KB, 1200x800
>>321541236
I always go STR with no shield. How I've been doing it since DeS. I can never relate to people who say "damn! this boss is tough! everything he does eats through my shield! etc." That's why Bloodborne wasn't too hard of a transition for me. I CAN'T wait for DaS3. It looks like str is going to be fun as hell! in DaS2 str builds felt so bad. Bloodborne felt great with the charge attacks and better feel though and this game looks to be a slightly slower bloodborne.
>>
>>321547017
Has to be, DeS best girl
>>
>>321541058
how is DeS clunky!?!? It feels the smoothest out of the first 3 souls games. hopefully das3 plays like bloodborne with no sidesteps which is what it looks to play like so far.I'm optimistic.
>>
File: red-eye-knight.jpg (32 KB, 300x356) Image search: [Google]
red-eye-knight.jpg
32 KB, 300x356
OK how do I kill this shithead? (Red-Eye Knight from Demon's Souls)

I cannot for the life of me seam to time the parry.
>>
>>321541236

>fashionable, light armor
>small/medium straight sword
>GREATBOW

it's fun for pvp and pve
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.