[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM Why do Sony fanboys act like this isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: mc2.jpg (130 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mc2.jpg
130 KB, 1280x720
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM

Why do Sony fanboys act like this isn't going to sell a billion xbones? Micro$oft won this gen before it started and it only cost them $2.7 billion.

Discuss the potential impact of Minecraft 2 being xbone/win10 exclusive.
>>
>>321506920
you need to be 18 or older to post on this board, you know this?
>>
>>321506920
Minecraft is a meme game, so minecraft 2 isn't possible. I mean every part of minecraft is an autistic meme
>>
>>321507676
It's a children's game. The way to money is convincing all the children.
>>
>Minecraft 2
>2

I can see no reason to create a new Minecraft game called Minecraft 2, this is obviously just a shameless M$ moneygrab. What could they even possibly drastically change so much they would need to call it Minecraft 2?
>>
>>321507736
it must be something enough that mods couldn't do
>>
I imagine they'll just slap it literally on any machine that will run it again to continue the gravy train
>>
>>321507772

Maybe it's VR headset compatible or something, that could be a big enough gimmick to get people to buy it.
>>
>>321507736
It'll probably happen.

The real question is, would an actual dev team be able to do a better or worse job that Vacations.
>>
>>321507736

If it was announced much later it could be plonked onto the Star Citizen engine considering what it's meaning to do. That would mean far bigger worlds with zero fucking slow down compared to Java based Minecraft 1.

But since it's not and that tech isn't ready for others to work on yet, it's total shit most likely. Probably moved to C# so it'll run better but to be honest the biggest problem with Minecraft to me that'll NEVER EVER get fixed is how the blocks are simply too big to enable a lot of things, like a true Dorf Fort feel.
>>
>>321507923
Considering they patched hololens support into the first game there is no reason they couldn't do the same for VR.
>>
>>321506920

>Minecraft 2, now with content!
>>
File: 1328489638517.jpg (75 KB, 454x533) Image search: [Google]
1328489638517.jpg
75 KB, 454x533
>tfw still playing pirated version 1.5 on linux
>>
>>321508085
If you've got mods, you're missing absolutely nothing worth mentioning.
>>
>>321506920
People still play Minecraft?
>>
File: 1451018396367.png (773 KB, 1400x2051) Image search: [Google]
1451018396367.png
773 KB, 1400x2051
Minecraft 2 could be literal shit in a box and billions of autistic children would buy it.

There's logic here, folks. Children are fucking retarded and have no standards.
>>
>2 MINECRAFT
>>
>>321508187

I do. I build villages and design medieval homes on my computer at work. For every 8 hour shift there's about 3 hours of down time where I have nothing to do.
>>
>>321506920
If we're being honest, I predict an 80% chance to flop and 20% chance for it to be as popular as the first minecraft. The reasoning for my prediction is as follows:

1) What made minecraft popular? It was the first world-building free-roam RPG games that got enough traction to be "the" builder game in a market it has a monopoly on. If you wanted to build things, minecraft was probably the best done at the time that wasn't some strange mod for an obscure game. Other games offered things like world building and such, but not on the sheer scale and customization minecraft offered. You could build your castle exactly the way you wanted to, you didn't have to settle for anything, you could get the most intricate details in as long as you kept upping the scale of your project.

However, now the market is flooded with minecraft-like games that allow this sort of world-building, Terraria being one of the first and foremost. Minecraft doesn't have it's monopoly anymore. Nobody has to buy it for that experience.

2) Update progress. One of the reasons Minecraft becames so popular was the frequency and the quality of the updates for the game. Before Notch went on his spree of vacations, sold out, and became the fat lazy jew that pumps out as many updates per year as he does in his whore wife before he cums, he would do secret updates, substantial updates, frequent updates that kept the game fresh and exciting over a long period of time.

Given that the general trend for most games released is that theres nice updates and DLC initially that fall off sharply as player interest drops from first month hype, we have no reason to suspect that Microsoft will keep supporting Minecraft 2 after a half a year at most unless the game absolutely explodes in sales. Not only that, the content-packed updates will likely be in the form of priced DLC, deterring many people from even buying it and supporting the game into longevity.
>>
>>321506920
No one cares about that game
>>
>>321506920
>minecraft 2
>greatly enhanced graphics, controls, aesthetics, style, music
>infinite randomly generated lands turn into enormous square planets which are scattered throughout a vast universe
>space exploration
>"3d starbound"
>dimensional travel
>twice as many recipes, materials, ecetera
>single player end
>a final ending which connects to previous ending
>VR

can't say I don't want it happening. its not going to, though.
>>
>>321507984
>it could be plonked onto the Star Citizen engine
You mean Cry Engine 3?

Isn't happening. In 2012 it had some sense in 2013 it still wasn't stupid in 2014 it still was somewhat reasonable but by the end of 2015?
Nope.
>>
Autistic kids will continue to play the Minecraft they know. More importantly they will want to play Minecraft 2 on PC with a mouse.
>>
I wish I could still play minecraft. Whenever I try to play the game I'm just reminded about how much they fucked up the aesthetic. In the end, I guess the original aesthetic was purely by accident because notch is inept, but still, it was much nicer than le generic fantasy land.
>>
>>321507736
M8 absolutely everyone would buy Minecraft 2, it'd be the best selling vidya yet
It's inevitably going to happen
>>
>>321510130

>I'm being a dumbass intentionally

Star Citizen IS CryTek now more or less, by absorbing their staff and taking their engine to an extreme. It's held together with some chunks of Cry Engine 3 code for now until get around to it (the current bottlenecks being limitations of the engine and not modern requirements), but what they have changed that forces it to be 64 bit only includes extremely flexible octree-like scene management (Unfixed size and can be created/destroyed on demand) and double precision enabled MASSIVE world maps without issues (see: Minecraft gets more and more broken the further away from grid origin you get, not present in Star Citizen when it was previously) now makes the SC Engine viable for an extremely handy niche: World simulation tech.

Assuming this could be released as "Cry Engine 4", UE4 will be the weaker engine until they get their performance issues sorted, and even then would simply fill the role of being a smaller scale and versatile engine.
>>
Why would you create a sequel to minecraft?
Just port the engine to something that isn't Java.
It's not like you need to update visuals, the game has been pretty comfortable with dated, cryptic visuals since it came to be. All improvements in mechanics and content could be done to the original via updates or mods.

What could 2 possibly offer? Toys-to-Life support?
>>
>>321510347
Yeah thats true. Its sort of like how Blizzard fucked up the WoW experience and aesthetic, Notch and his retard company fucked up their game by developing it too much. They should have stopped after they did that "end game" shit. surprised that M$ were retarded enough to pay all that money for that shit.
>>
IS TUMBLING TUMBLING TUMBLING

DUPLICATE AND TRIPLICATE
>>
>>321506920
microsoft own minecraft. sony own bluray.

they could both have monopolies over their exclusive products but they dont because they make more money by letting their competitors sell their product for them.

but this doesn't matter because minecraft 2 will never happen and the xbone will never come back from their massive loss this gen. thats why microsoft are already working on their follow up gen console to get the jump one sony
>>
>>321506920
>it only cost them $2.7 billion.

Shame they could have made a couple of exclusives for that

how many exclusive games would this amount have funded i wonder
>>
>>321510640
To me the aesthetic was ruined at beta 1.8 and after. All the terrain changes made everything boring. The new terrain changes don't succeed in making it any better because there's no really unique land masses anymore, every biome is the same, only different from one another.
>>
File: 1450464940631.png (151 KB, 339x288) Image search: [Google]
1450464940631.png
151 KB, 339x288
>>321511136
>every biome is the same, only different from one another
>>
>>321511331
What he probably meant was that the biomes have different features superficially, but there's almost nothing unique you can find in them. Deserts have pyramids, jungles have temples and deep sea has ocean monuments, but that's about it. There are some small things that spawn uniquely in different biomes, but they're pointless crap like witch huts. Also it's worth mentioning they never worked out the biome transitions, so you have retarded things like a snow biomes and jungles spawning right next to each other.
>>
Normie kids are getting bored of Minecraft.

I was at a Halloween party and some kid was telling me how he got bored of Minecraft and was playing Terraria
>>
>>321511136
This. If only there was a plugin that made minecraft worlds look like OP's picture (which is handcrafted) it would be far more enjoyable than on its current state.
Also, the nether needs a massive update to make it look like a real hell (adding stalactites, stalagmites and better lava pools would be a good idea)
>>
File: 1414288478138.jpg (113 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1414288478138.jpg
113 KB, 1252x1252
>>321507563
/thread
>>
>>321510861
probably like 30 AAA games.
>>
>>321507984
>cryengine
>zero fucking slowdown
>>
>>321506920
>Minecraft 2
>proper engine

I would buy it desu senpai
>>
This would actually be good. All the kids would stick with Xbox while adults can play CoD. I'm sick of playing against 14 year olds baiting me into racists arguments. Xbox should get all the kiddie games like Garden Warfare.
>>
File: markus-persson.jpg (24 KB, 582x290) Image search: [Google]
markus-persson.jpg
24 KB, 582x290
what
>>
>>321506920
Can't do any worse than Notch.
>>
>>321507736
>I can see no reason to create a new Minecraft game called Minecraft 2
Notces immaculate programming skill?
>>
i don't think it would be cost effective for them to not release a minecraft game on ps4 since it's the highest selling system

outside of that i dunno, i can't see them not ruining it by 'updating' the engine, i honestly think the better graphics get in a building game, the more ugly things tend to look because they become too 'realistic' and easy to fuck up

hard to explain but like, if you build an all wood house with little highlights at corners, it looks pretty cool, but in real life a wood house with all the same colour would look weird as fuck, and 'square' buildings would just look.. shitty and boring, you'd need to make crazy customizable options and i just don't see them doing that right

mc is still pretty fun to waste time on tho if you like building shit, the combat system update coming out sometime in jan seems cool too

the only negative thing i have to say is they release way too many updates now that barely change anything while also fucking up all the mods so if they add one or two things you potentially have to wait months for an update, but by then there's like another retarded patch coming out so you can't really keep up to date, and it's made worse because of all the changes to terrain and shit they did seemed to make modding a much more complex and lengthy process so it's a lose/lose
>>
>>321512659

90% of why CryEngine is slow is because of shader related issues.
Minecraft is basically one step up from greybox, and like I said already they actually put some effort into improving the engine already, that the retarded turks never bothered to.
>>
>>321507736
They add 4 new charactes, a couple of new enemies and slightly updated tools.
>>
>>321510543
Cry Engine was a poor choice, they should've gone with I-Novae which was(is being) designed specifically for simulating large worlds in an infinite universe.
>>
>>321506920
I doubt Microsoft is interested in selling more Minecraft games, they just want the profit from Minecraft toys, Minecraft Lego, Minecraft shirts, Minecraft movies, Minecraft youtuber figurines, etc etc.
>>
>>321513025
>90% of why CryEngine is slow is because of shader related issues.

I haven't a single clue about what I'm fucking talking about: the post
>>
>>321507984
>Probably moved to C# so it'll run better

You do realize that moving it from Java to C# would make practically no difference? JRE is pretty much as fast as .NET nowadays, and they'd probably use Mono for cross-platform compatibility which is slower than JRE.

The subtle differences in the speed of the language are irrelevant anyway, the quality of the code is vastly more important and I'd guess that a professional developer team could write more efficient code than some Swedish hobbyist.
>>
Minecraft isn't exactly a "child's game," a kid who isn't adept at, well, generally, computers won't be able to mod the game, and without mods, Minecraft's bland. But some - Rather, a ton of Minecraft's fanbase is (or at least seemingly, it is) just the average "12 year old."
Trust me, this game is fun with the mods, but without them, it's nothing. Which leads us to this: Would Micro$oft even allow modding considering their Nazi-ish nature? I think that's what we should be asking.
>>
>>321506920
It would probably sell regardless of how good/bad it is, people would buy it based on Hype alone.
>>
>>321506920
ITS OVER, SONY. I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND.
>>
>>321508349
undertale selling just supports your point
>>
But yeah, they'll probably embrace their "12 year old" fanbase and make it more targeted at them.
Might as well make it XBOne exclusive because if that's the case, there's no point in putting it over to a platform which users don't give two shits about the game.
>>
>>321514819

Bullshit. I once caught my 8-9 year old cousin modding Minecraft and watching shitty Youtube video reviews of various Minecraft mods.
>>
>>321514872
Don't try me
>>
>>321514819
What kid isn't adept at computers today?
>>
File: 1367132064858.png (60 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1367132064858.png
60 KB, 900x900
>>321507736
>What could they even possibly drastically change so much they would need to call it Minecraft 2?

Better world generation, custom built Vehicles like Nuts And Bolts/Besiged and a brand new physics engine (Likely an implementation of Havok). There's tons of ways they can improve on the formula.

>TFW one of their studios was making an open world Nuts And Bolts style game without Banjo but it lost the vote to that Running Man/Hunger Games future gameshow idea.
>>
>>321514710
Why in the fuckin' hell would they use Mono? The .NET core is open-source. Roslyn is open-source.
>>
>>321507736
Minecraft with real graphics.
>>
is it somehow gonna catch them up to the 30 whatever million consoles sold when the established audience is mostly PC players? I fuckin doubt it.
>>
>>321514710
this. Java being bad for games is an outdated myth at this point. A talented programmer can do anything with it.

A sequel made by the original dev team will probably still be java due to the programmers being comfortable with it, and if there is a language switch of any kind it will be to C++ to keep in line with the vast majority of modern game development.
>>
>>321516945

They aren't. They are already moving on Xbone's profitable and outmarching 360 but Nintendo's forcing a gen shift already

Without getting into shit, you're gonna see a lot of PC Ports from MS with NVIDIA Gameworks features like Sea Of Thieves and Fable Legends next year.
>>
>>321511331
A desert biome is no different than any other desert biome. Before they changed the system it was more random, so landforms would end up being more unique, giving a reason for exploration beyond just finding the best biome ratio.
>>
File: 1433391372048.jpg (50 KB, 426x546) Image search: [Google]
1433391372048.jpg
50 KB, 426x546
>>321516596
>improve the formula
>vehicles like nuts and bolts
>>
>Speaking to IGN at Gamescom 2015, Jonas Martensson explained that while he was wary of suggesting there would never be a follow-up to the game, it certainly isn't something Mojang is thinking about at the moment, with the team believing Minecraft will still be around in 10 years.
>>
>>321506920
it won't be minecraft 2, what will happen is when they move to next gen or maybe even sooner they will stop patching the ps3, wiiu and ps4 versions and tell everyone if they want the most update to date version you need to get it on xbox or pc
>>
File: i-novaeengine.png (38 KB, 854x273) Image search: [Google]
i-novaeengine.png
38 KB, 854x273
>>321517410
>>321514710

It'll be C# because

>Original dev team are tossed to the wind.
>It's Microsoft

C++ and Java are portable, but C# isn't as much. So they'd trade away a multiplat release they're not interested in to squeeze more out of Win10 and Xbone, plus it'll probably more more comfortable to whatever new team they assign to it since it's just C after all. Also just werks with Visual Studio to boot.

>>321513483

>They should have picked an incomplete engine that only has renderer and terrain generator

Pic related, don't act dumb. They'd have to wait until Infinity Battlescape was in beta before they START developing Star Citizen.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.