[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game surprised you the most?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8
File: 81G10-VN7PL._SL1500_.jpg (456 KB, 1500x1338) Image search: [Google]
81G10-VN7PL._SL1500_.jpg
456 KB, 1500x1338
Alright /v/, it's that time of the year.

What game did you play that you ended up liking way more than you thought you would?

Pic related is mine. Picked it up a week or so ago, took my sweet time beating it, really surprised at how much I enjoyed the whole experience. Haven't played the post-game yet, excited to see what's in store there.
>>
File: steamworld-heist.jpg (454 KB, 1176x1077) Image search: [Google]
steamworld-heist.jpg
454 KB, 1176x1077
>>321420079
>didn't like Steamworld Dig very much
>ignored this until a few days before release
>look up E3 video
>purely skill based turn based strategy game
>randomized stages and multiple difficulties for replayability
>collectible hats via shooting them off enemy heads before destroying them
>give the game a shot
Did not disappoint in any way. I can understand everyone waiting for the other versions though.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 541x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 541x500
We knew from the very beginning that the game was an easy to make filler shovelware game reusing assets from both dream team and Sticker Shit.

But I had to buy and play because I like both series and I owe myself to play this pseudo-crossover even if it's filler

God fucking damn it, turned out to be really good filler, like wow

Character interactions are fucking fantastic, the dialogue and writing for the Mario universe characters was really fleshed out unexpectedly

Gameplay was top notch and easily my favorite

They played it too safe but it was clear they wanted to focus on characters that appeared on both sides

Toad missions vary, I like some and I hate some but they are more or less equivalent to the Dream World/Inside Bowser

Overal, this was probably the best case scenario for the M&L series to have a generic plot in a generic setting but goddam it's worth it and they played it a lot better than what Sticker Shit tried to do
>>
>>321420079
/v/ - /vp/ general
>>
Bunp
>>
File: Tales from the Borderlands.jpg (137 KB, 1441x867) Image search: [Google]
Tales from the Borderlands.jpg
137 KB, 1441x867
Tales from the Borderlands. Telltale is shit so I regretted buying this, but after giving it a chance it turned out to be one of my favorite games of the year.
>>
>>321422975
Can we agree that Papercraft battles are tedious, control like ass and are not fun
>>
Hatred.
I fully expected it to be unplayable shit from the reviews i read, what i got was a pretty fun massacre-em-up that didn't take itself too seriously.
Plus if you're squeamish about the theme just play the army base level, it's tough as nails and has basically no noncombatants.
tl;dr Hatred is a game that starts off grim and ends up ridiculous, it's bullshit hard in some places, has a decent visual identity and damn fun mechanics. Pirate it and waste 4 hours finishing it, it's dumb fun and it's a shame it had all that controversy around it which led to unfairly cruel reviews.
>>
File: header.jpg (5 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
5 KB, 460x215
>>321420079
Played it early before all the buzz
>>
battlefront wasn't as bad as I thought it would be

Don't get me wrong the content is absolutely garbage but everything else was surprisingly good
>>
>>321420079
Etrian Odyssey 4.

I bought it on a whim since I wanted something that could last me through a week of vacation.

I expected rather dry gameplay with generic dungeons but I was surprised how well crafted the game was. Liked it so much I bought the rest of the series too.
>>
Bunp
>>
File: 1446841160224.jpg (163 KB, 1250x904) Image search: [Google]
1446841160224.jpg
163 KB, 1250x904
>>321420079
I wanted to like Pokemon SMD but the connection orb just ruined it for me.

I miss recruiting pokemon by giving them a beat-down. It was a big let-down.
>>
File: 1429708276712.jpg (234 KB, 660x854) Image search: [Google]
1429708276712.jpg
234 KB, 660x854
>>321420079
This.
I got curious because of all the pokemon killer talk months prior. While it may not be what the articles or /v/ threads thought it would be battlewise, I found it more immersive than the newer games.
>>
>>321420079
Just dance 2016
>>
>>321427303
For 1 and 2 did you buy the original DS versions or the Untold games?
>>
>>321422975

Nice, I'll look forward to it when it finally comes out in the US
>>
>>321425005
a lot of this
>>
I was disappointed by SMD. It was great, but I was disappointed because I outright disliked the story and I had a few little nitpicks like I wish there had been both the Connection Orb and the Bulletin Board, or that you could nickname recruits.

Stella Glow and Code Name STEAM were probably the two most surprisingly good games for me this year.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.