[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is character action just a dead genre now? After Devil may Cry:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 4
Is character action just a dead genre now?
After Devil may Cry: devil may Cry flopped I doubt Dante will show up again anytime soon
Bayo 2 sold poorly and isn't being directed by kamiya anymore, and just being in smash doesn't mean you'll get more games (see: captain falcon)
People kept saying MGR 2 was going to be a thing but I don't really see that happening. It seemed like a very one time thing.
>>
DmC 2 and DMC5 are both basically confirmed, stop being so dense
>>
Well Scalebound and Nier 2 are still happening. After that we'll just have to wait and see.
>>
>>321409535
Really? They're just gonna split the series and keep making both DmCs and DMCs?
>>
>>321409673
Can you read?
>>
>>321408902
Haven't seen Nic Cage memeface in awhile.
>>
File: nero_dante_impale.png (150 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
nero_dante_impale.png
150 KB, 900x900
>>321409816
can you not shitpost and provide a source nigger?
there is nothing indicating they are working on both series. all we have right now is hints at DMC5 and thats it
>>
>>321410352
Google, I'm not bout to spoonfeed when I'm not even sure you can read.
>>
>>321408902
>Bayo 2 sold poorly

Didn't it sell half a million not long after it came out? How is that "Poorly"?
>>
>>321408902
DMC 5 is going to happen, like 99% confirmed by Dante's, Nero's and Vergil's voice actors.
Ninja Gaiden 4 is going to happen
Nier 2 is about to happen

Not that sure about Bayo, but those are still something to look for.
>>
>>321410514
what was I supposed to read? your baseless shitposting with no source?
of course you are not about to spoonfeed since there is nothing to spoonfeed.
>>
>>321409535
>DmC 2
Lol, no. The reboot was a huge failure and it won't get a sequel
>>
>>321409535
DMC5 is probably going to happen considering how well 4SE sold.

DmC DE flopped though so I don't think we're getting a sequel to that.
>>
>>321409535
DmC is dead
>>
>>321410514
The closest hints of DmC2 we got was the draft plot that one of the former devs during the Q&A session on one of the fan-forums
>>
>>321410656
Ignore the retard. Shitposting has amped on /v/ in recent months, it's fucking pathetic. There's no source because it's not true as of yet but they did say they'd consider DMC5 if 4SE sold well or something. DmC SE on the other hand sold like a few thousand copies maybe, it flopped bad so it probably won't get a sequel.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrSAydJm4SY
19:40

rejoice
>>
I'm disgusted by how little "gamers" have even played either bayonetta. There are so many youtubers I saw that were "oh, I never played bayonetta, but cool." You fuckers have a wii u, your life revolves around being a youtube gaming personality, yet all you must do is play smash?

Then fuckers on /v/ haven't even played the first one, even though the first can be bought for like 10 dollars. You are all disgusting
>>
>>321408902
MGR2 probably was in the conceptual stages but Konami being Konami probably axed it after they fired Kojima, although since they actually WILL make more MGS games, maybe they'll make more MGR games too.

>>321409535
DmC2 is never happening. Even Capcom wouldn't be stupid enough to make that now. DMC5 is likely but nothing's confirmed yet and it wouldn't even surprise me if it weren't even being made right now. Fucking surprising and shameful how awfully they have mismanaged that franchise.

Otherwise Platinum just came out with Transformers: Devastation and we're getting Nier: Automata next year too.

The genre has seen better days but give it some time. If we go 3 more years without even so much as a single word about DMC5 or NG4, then we'll say the genre is dead.
>>
>>321410876
yeah, thats what I heard.
Hopefully we will hear something on TGS
Also tea bee eich I wouldnt mind seeing DmC2 as long as it doesnt compromise the main series. There is some room for improvement, and I think if they tweak gameplay and will have a story which doesnt treat itself seriously it can be a fine game.
>>
>>321410749

I thought 4SE sold underwhelmingly?

I was just disappointed they barely touched the single player which was by far the game's biggest issue. Trying to master all of dante's weapons and styles at once was enough for me to forgo more characters
>>
>>321411030
It's a fucking shame how criminally underrated the series is. First game is easily one of the best action games of all time, and even though it sold alright, it could've done way better than it did too.

Meanwhile, fucking God of War 3 and Dante's Inferno selling millions...
>>
>>321408902
>Bayo 2 sold poorly
This is my least favorite meme
>>
>>321411030
Well, that's what you get for putting the franchise for the console with a completely different target audience
And I'm not shitposting or trying to start a console war or something (I'm an idort myself), this is the truth and everyone knows it. Bayo 1 sold much more on PS3 alone than both games (separate or bundled) sold on WiiU.
>>
>>321410994
It's funny how 2 out of the 3 sparda boys were power rangers at some point in their lives

>>321411174
>I thought 4SE sold underwhelmingly?

Nope.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-profit-jumps-100-thanks-in-part-to-devil-ma/1100-6429308/
>>
I can't wait until DMC5 is confirmed and all the progressives come crawling out of the woodwork to birch and moan about it.

Mostly because I'm a feminist and social democrat and I found it fucking disgusting how DmC got a pass on a huge amount of actual edgy misogynist bullshit from """"progressive"""" critics because it had some cringey, heavy handed attacks directed towards caricatures of Fox news - and I'm gonna savour the day the counter-circlejerk starts and all those fuckers get roasted for trying to call the game anything but trash.
>>
>>321411174
>I thought 4SE sold underwhelmingly?
Nah, apparently Capcom was surprised how well it sold. Especially considering DmC:DE sold like 5k.
>>
>>321411174
Between the original dmc4 and dmc4se theyve sold over 5 million copies.
>>
>>321408902
Bayo 2 sold fine.
>>
>>321411030
I've played a bit of the first one, maybe half? It was alright, like a slightly worse DMC with QTEs. Witch Time is a fun mechanic. Ninja Gaiden still #1 action game.
>>
>>321411350
(You)
>>
>character action
Never heard of that. I thought everyone called them Spectacle Fighters, although that's an even worse name. Implies they require no skill or concentration.
Can't they just be called Stylish Action?
>>
>>321411302
But the post you were replying to was talking about Bayonetta 1 as well as 2.
>>
>>321411308
Dude, even Reuben Langdon was a stunt double on some PR shows iirc. The series has a very interesting relationship with PR.

Capcom's usage of former PR stars in general is pretty cool.

>>321411350
Man that's a good point. Especially since the series has always had actual strong female characters.
>>
>>321411174
What do you mean? That game is nothing but single player. The special edition simply added more playable characters and costumes. Although I do agree with you about Dante's styles. It feels like they hold him back more than making four distinct playstyles. Your sword is practically useless without sword master. It has like two combos and one air move. Vergil and Nero feel so complete in comparison and strike a good balance between accessibility and depth.
>>
If they make DMC5, do you think they'll actually finish it? Or will it be another 4?
>>
>>321409535
>DmC 2
Sorry anon, that thing is anything but dead. Sales flopped, reviews flopped, fanbase flopped, etc.

It was just a pretty big muckup. It wasn't a TOTAL failure but it certainly didn't meet what they anticipated. Then again, look at Tomb Raider.
>>
>>321411473
I've never once heard the term sepctacle fighter
>>
>>321411302
>>321411030

Has to do with several things. Bayo in general is a pretty "acquired taste" thing in everything but gameplay. The camp and flamboyance put off a surprising number of people. The other thing, sadly, is about the consoles. Bayo probably has the largest potential audience on Playstation (i.e. people most open to """weeb""" things), yet Bayo1 on PS3 is an unplayable abortion and Bayo2 is on Wii U.

Saying all of this as a major Bayofag and Nintoddler, which means the shift to Wii U was nothing but a plus for me personally.
>>
>>321411473
>I thought everyone called them Spectacle Fighters
I have never heard of the term.
>>
>>321411473

Kamiya himself uses stylish action to label the genre.
>>
>>321411498

Because the second half of the single player is just the first half recycled, and way more clunky/unfun to play. I was hoping they do SOMETHING to fix that shit for the special edition.
>>
>>321411302
>mfw people are still salty about Bayo 2
These tears sustain me
>>
>>321411473
Character action game is honestly the best definition one can come up for this sub-genre.
Stylish Action is too wage - as some games (Kingdom Hearts II, for example) take style over substance. Same with "Spectacle Fighters"
Character action game at least implies the game's core is at the characters' actions.
Definitely better than the autistic term "cuhrayzee games". It's like legitimately cringe-worthy.
>>
>>321411408
If it sold well copies wouldn't be 80$+ online now would they?
>>
>>321411530
>>321411596
I think it's a Zero Punctuation thing. I hadn't heard anyone other than Yatzee use it.
>>
>>321411473
>I thought everyone called them Spectacle Fighters
I feel like you made this up on the spot for replies.
Regardless, I've always just called them action games. It seems to cast a wide net but so do most genre names, and it doesn't sound as dumb as "character action."
>>
>character action

This is a really shitty meme, worse than "tickrate" "emergent gameplay" "House of the Dead isn't a rail shooter".

Stop this.
>>
>>321411642
Oh okay I gotcha. I agree, but saying "oh man I wished they fixed the single player" about a devil may cry game is like saying "oh man I wished they fixed the flying" about a flight simulator
>>
>>321411678
>whole first printing sold out so copies are hard to find
>not selling beyond expectations
Anon, try using some critical thinking next time
>>
>>321411350
This. It really annoyed me how many 'Progressive' journalists gave the game high scores, despite the game featuring an abortion with a sniper rifle.

I felt like they'd prefer giving their readers lectures and condemning them than what they actually preach about. Even cucking Jim Sterling never brought it up.
>>
>>321411473
Its fucking hack and slash. Nobody outside of reddit and vee calls it character action
>>
>>321411656
What to be salty about? I own it, I bought a WiiU for it and it saddens me that the franchise may meet oblivion because of SEGA and Nintendo's fanbase. I would be more than okay if it even became Nintendo's exclusive, but the ninty fans just don't need it - they want same old nostalgia franchises over and over again.
>>
>>321411872
>first printing sells out
>there is no second printing
That would imply sales were poor
>>
Last time i checked platinum games was more alive than ever.
>>
>>321411480
Yeah, it was a massive disappointment going into DmC and getting trash like Kat instead of Trish or Mary.

The entire game was shit, but that in particular pisses me off.
>>
>>321411719
I didn't. Yahtzee came up with it, TB ises it and you can see reviewers using the term now and then.

Character action sucks. Makes it sound like a TellTale action game or something
>>
>>321411936
Prince of Persia WW and God of War are also hack and slush games, yet you can't put them on the same league to games like NG and DMC3. Also, game doesn't have to be a hack'n'slash to be a "character action game" or whatever you call it - take Vanquish and God Hand for example.
>>
>>321412000
this, publishers keep contracting them for some reason even though nothing they make sells for shit
>>
>>321411820
They could have at least reworked bloody palace. Get rid of time limit, allow difficulty picking etc
>>
>>321408902
>that picture

kill yourself
>>
>>321411524
>anything but dead
You mean 'nothing but dead'?
>>
>>321411936
Nope, that's also incorrect.
Hack 'n' slash refers to games like Dynasty Warriors.
>>
>>321412070

Thats like saying goldeneye and battlefield are different genres. Fuck off with your autistic need for hipster labels and call it a hack and slash. God hand is a beat em up.
>>
>>321411972
Nintendo hardly ever does second printings, just look at Pikmin 3. That's why their games almost never drop in price. Hell, Xenoblade got up to like $150 and multiple petitions before they finally did an extremely limited GameStop-only second run
>>
>>321412167
s-shut up
>>
>>321409554

Scalebound isn't an action game.
>>
>>321412153
It was posted in the "put the name of the last game you played +meme into Google images and post result" thread from the other day
>>
>>321412070
I wouldn't say vanquish is the samr genre at all though.
Maybe the makers of these games know how to use difficulty to put you into flow
>>
>>321412192
No reason to be so defensive, anon.
I agree, that the games do not deserve to be treated as a separate sub-genre, however they are definitely stay on the league of their own with the amount of depth in gameplay (combat-wise) they provide.
>>
>>321412186
Journalists covering the video game industry often use the term "hack and slash" to refer to a distinct genre of 3D third-person, weapon-based, beat 'em up games, including titles such as Devil May Cry, God of War and Bayonetta.

Im an actual journakist by the way. Stop being autistic. Everyone knows dynasty warriors are hack and slash, but also musou
>>
>>321412360
>Im an actual journakist by the way
I, too, have covered wars.
>>
>>321412360
And I'm Batman.
>>
>>321412439
Want me to show you my press pass? I have it around somewhere
>>
>>321412486
It's alright, take your time.
Reaching 30 feet into your own ass is a challenging feat.
>>
>>321412486
Want me to show you my Batarang? I have plenty of them around here, too
>>
>i want 5 hack & slash peer year even if they aren't worth playing
go back to fighting games
>>
>>321412563
Thats what I thought. You feel stupid.
>>
>>321412360
Hack and slash is used to define anything that's third person with a cutting weapon of some kind.

They also include things like Gauntlet, Dynasty Warriors, MOBAs , and Contra Hard Corps Uprising

Yes gaming journalists are dumb with terms.
>>
>>321412653
You thought he had a Batcave?
>>
>>321411678
The game is cheap as fuck in EU. Selling through a first print is hardly grounds to say that it sold badly though.
>>
>>321411308
>>321411480
>over-the-top action series uses actors from an over-the-top action series
Gee, no kidding.
>>
File: bayo_flips_the_bird.jpg (112 KB, 900x554) Image search: [Google]
bayo_flips_the_bird.jpg
112 KB, 900x554
>>321411030
there is less people who played bayonetta than there is people who bitched about bayo2 being a WiiU exclusive. I
>>
>>321410570
If it's not ten gajillion it sells poorly on 4chan, and even then ten gajillion is just "okay"
>>
>>321410595
>Ninja Gaiden 4 is going to happen

Why? The best part of Action games aside from combat mechanics is the rogue's gallery. And Ninja Gaiden sucks sick at it. How can anyone enjoy a series where the enemies are soooo boring ass samey uninspired and bland like that? Viewtiful Joe also suffered from that kind of shit.

In Devil May Cry you get ranging types of demons, in Castlevania you also see a lot of different monster types, etc. Fuck Ninja Gaiden's lack of variety. Keep in mind I'm talking about normal enemies, not the bosses.
>>
>>321411428

This, except I played all of it. I don't get why people claim that Bayonetta is the best that the action genre has to offer. DMC is still king.
>>
>>321408902
What is the "character action" genre? Are you talking about hack and slash?
>>
>>321408902
>saving that image
>keeping it at all
Don't do that.
>>
>>321410570
Didn't come close to breaking even.
Install base for Wii U was like 10-15 million at the time.
Didn't sell half a million
>>
>>321412682
At least it narrows it down slightly. Character action even outclasses MOBA in terms of being a generic genre title that covers far more games that it's meant to when you think about it.
>>
>>321413052
>In Devil May Cry you get ranging types of demons

Like in 3, with 4 different variants of enemy with a schyte?
>>
>>321410352
>>321410656
lurk moar faggot, you weren't even around here for the DMC4 PC release.
>>
>>321409535
Yes, just like Darkstalkers and Soul Calibur 6.
>>
>>321411097
Well, who's gonna buy DmC 2?
DmC was an attempt to bring a niche genre to the masses, it only sold as well as it did because of marketing.

I don't see Capcom doing it when they can just pour that money into DMC5's marketing instead and have it hailed as the great comeback.
Apparently they didn't like working with NT either so why even bother?
>>
>>321413598
yeah I bet half a decade ago there were tons of indications for DmC2 and DMC5
Go to bed
>>
>>321412970
Perhaps if the fucking PS3 port wasn't ass, I would had play it a long time ago. Also blame Kamiya and his team for not supporting the PS3 from the get go. It would have sold better.
>>
File: 1443772624258.jpg (59 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443772624258.jpg
59 KB, 600x600
>>321411707
I thought spectacle fighters was used to differentiate stuff like those Naruto and DBZ fighters from regular fighting games and arena fighters like Power Stone.
>>
>>321413896
its not like the xbox version was really popular
It bugs me that fucks that had nothing to do with the game pretended to care just so they can engulge into epic shitposting about "bayonetta 2 should be on muh REAL console"
>>
>>321408902
>Bayo 2 sold poorly and isn't being directed by kamiya anymore
NEVER EVER, FAGGOT
>>
>>321413683
I am positive Soul Calibur 6 will happen.
>>
Transformers Devastation just came out
>>
>>321413683
Darkstalkers already happened anon, it was like nearly 20 years ago.
>>
>>321411883
The main female character literally spent the final boss fight huddling behind a trash can.
>>
>>321408902
>Bayonetta 2 sold poorly
Well maybe if you don't make it exlusive to a useless console that will only collect dust....
>>
>>321411350
Why don't you fuck off
>>
>>321408902
I need more DMC, I'd even take another one that has 4s problems after dealing with the series spinning its wheels.
>>
>>321411350
lmao go fuck yourself.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.