[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any games with roguelike gameplay, except with handcrafted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: CIbt8rq[1].jpg (147 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
CIbt8rq[1].jpg
147 KB, 1024x640
Are there any games with roguelike gameplay, except with handcrafted levels and no permadeath?
Why are procedural generation and permadeath so married to that style of gameplay anyway?
>>
File: 1425462761951.png (2 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1425462761951.png
2 KB, 200x200
>roguelike without permadeath
>>
>>321397269
Baldur's Gate.
>>
>handcrafted
>procedural

Ummm

Diablo 2 I guess??
>>
>>321397951
I mean games which aren't procedural, but that have the turn-based, grid-based RPG gameplay.
>>
>>321398032
Oh so like Fire Emblem?
>>
>>321397269
>>321398032

Soooo any Tactical RPG??

Basically you just want Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea or shit like that?

Cause procedural generation and permadeath are pretty much what makes a roguelike, you take those away and you just have a generic RPG.
>>
>>321398418
I guess the thing that I'm thinking of is more specific than that but it's kind of hard to pin down what the qualities are exactly. I suppose games where you control one character, with a focus on exploration, where everything takes place in the game systems with no cutscenes or anything. Games with a roguelike 'feel' basically. Disgaea doesn't feel like a roguelike, you know?

Maybe I'm just being a moron here
>>
>>321398939

So why not just play standard roguelikes with the permadeath turned off.

ToME lets you do this, and only the dungeons in ToME are procedural, everything else is hand crafted. Stone soup is another good roguelike, but im not sure if you can disable the permadeath, might be able to...I know a lot of roguelikes nowadays are giving that option since a lot of the newer players hate the idea of permadeath.
>>
>>321397269
>Why are procedural generation and permadeath so married to that style of gameplay anyway?
Because people aren't being creative enough.
>>
>>321397269
So basically you want top down RPG gameplay but with non-random levels?
Try Divine Divinity, or Spiderweb software games like Avernum.
>>
>>321397269
Just get underrail.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.