[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this shit still so expensive. I mean hey, maybe I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: isaac.png (793 KB, 1131x902) Image search: [Google]
isaac.png
793 KB, 1131x902
Why is this shit still so expensive. I mean hey, maybe I'm kinda spoiled by the sale when you can get all the AAA titles you want for fucking pennies. And 8 bucks won't make me broke either.

But come the fuck on. I want to play this, I really want to. But I fucking refuse to pay this kind of money for a DLC on a game which itself only costs 15 bucks itself. I saw the videos, it's not THAT much content.

And I mean rebirth in itself is just a remake of the flash game. I thought the price for that was never justified either. But like that gets a 40% discount for the sale. But the DLC is STILL this pricey?

Fuck the indie fucks turning full on jew. Makes me sick. Think they can pull this shit cause hey the AAA guys fuck our ass on the daily, why not chime in and do that too. Fuck. I'm mad. I used to like you Edmund but this shit is just stupid. I try so hard to not hate the indie guys, but not like this.
>>
>>321361792
so pirate it?
>>
>>321362153
You're a fucking genious, thanks for the advice.

It's weird, I usually pirate just about everything, I don't even realize why this didn't cross my mind. Not gonna lie with these low budget titles I still kinda feel, hey these poor guys deserve support and I enjoyed SMB and the original isaac and even got 100% achievements on rebirth and all. And usually with titles like this, the price is so low it's almost worth the mere comfort of being able to launch it via steam and have it track the achievements and all.

But yeah, why not just pirate it. When indie fucks turn jews, why treat them any different than when EA tries to fuck my ass. You just made my day.
>>
>>321362824
I mean it's 9 dollars man.

EA withholding content, pricing a game 60 dollars, and then charging for DLC. That's judaism.

You look pretty dumb for how angry you're getting over 9 dollars.
>>
>>321361792
Or because it just came out
>>
>>321362153
Can I just say again how happy I am that you just made me come to that realization? That I have the power to play whatever games I want for free, whenever I'm dissatisfied with the way the devs handle business? Even when they're pixelshit games like this? Man I'm not even kidding, you just got me rid of some big mental shackles.
>>
>>321363271
You sound mentally unstable
>>
>>321363271
Gee, try to pander to piratefags harder
>>
>>321363271
Christmas E/v/e is a weird place. Between this guy sperging out and >>321357293
>>
>>321361792
Short answer?

AAA shit these days is just that: Shit. You don't want ot play the new cawwadooty, you don't give two shits about the progressive shit they're pushing on us, you don't want to play the over-produced, over-budgeted, under-quality shit they're putting out these days.

Relatively Indie Games like Isaac are genuinely good, much cheaper in the production costs, and yet somehow thousands of times better than any shit the "AAA" industry puts out these days. Buying this shit is actually worth your $10, while spending $60 on the AAA shit isn't.

The only thing triple-A about those titles these days are their production costs. Their quality has gone to shit, what we called most movie games back in the day, lazy cash grabs with no imagination, but that's the norm now.

Stop bitching and give one of the few guys who's actually trying to make a decent game a few bucks and show them that you support them actually giving a shit about the game and not just marketing or purely pretty graphics while gameplay and story suffer for it.
>>
That is literally the price of a lunch, anon.

Would playing this game give you as much pleasure as eating out at a shitty Chinese food establishment?

That is the cost you are considering here.

Just buy the damn game.
>>
>>321363143
It's a matter of principle. The base game is 15 bucks, the DLC is 11 bucks. Right now, both have the same price.

Call it dumb, I think that's just retarded. It basically shows they set these prices on a hunch, with no real explanation or justification. An EA game costs 60 bucks because they blow 100 million on the graphics and 200 million on the marketing. And a couple of thousands for guys in suits who calculate what they need the game to make in order for them not to make red numbers.

This game? Is made by a couple of bedroom coders who just arbitrarily say "uuuh let's make it cost 15 bucks". And then they make DLC for that game, and make it arbitrarily say "let's make it cost 11 bucks".

And it's like, yo, if the base game was 15 bucks how is this worth 11. When all it has are like a couple of new sprites and lines of code. It just doesn't add up.
>>
>>321361792
>eight dollars
>expensive
please get a job anon
>>
>>321363862

I mean, what would you have them price it at? 3 dollars?

Pricing might be arbitrary, but it lines up with the market. If you're not down to spend twenty bucks on a game that could give you roughly ~15 minimum of entertainment, I'm not sure what you might want.

Markets often don't function on a pure 'amount of effort that went into this' mechanic.
>>
File: 1410313921750.png (171 KB, 475x480) Image search: [Google]
1410313921750.png
171 KB, 475x480
>>321363143
It doesn't hold a candle to Nintendo's throttling production so hard that games still cost full price over a year later and their merchandise is completely overrun by scalpers, either.
>>
>>321363776
>>321363857
Okay real talk, the reason I'm bitching is because I care. Okay, I liked the other games. And I really really want to support them and buy this.

But I just can't justify it. It just feels like a major asspull to me to pay as much for a DLC as I paid for the base game. It's almost as if if they made the base game 30 then I would have less reservation paying 11 for the DLC. Or addon you could say I guess. But when the base game is 15, 11 bucks for the DLC?

This ties in with how Edmund always vastly overestimates the playtime you get out of these games. I took like 130 hours to get plat god on rebirth. When he said it has thousands of hours of playtime. And now he says that shit about afterbirth too but it's like, give me a break, it doesn't have THAT much stuff from what I've seen. Not enough to justify the price being as high as it is compared to the base game.

Also, I will buy it, I already know I will. I really just want to vent a little.
>>
>>321364076
15 bucks and an 11buck expansion that adds a few characters, tons of new room designs and hundreds of items is cheaper and longer-lasting than any $60 thing I could buy for sure. I still play Isaac on occasion and it's given me way more hours of fun than any "AAA" shit that's come out lately.
>>
>>321364447
It's odd and arbitrary pricing, yeah, but to be fair, that's how a lot of us felt about him making Rebirth after we had the original Flash one + Wrath of the lamb. Then we actually got it and saw how much better it was, no more keysticking, tons more items, smoother everything.

Afterbirth adds a bunch of new bosses, items, 2 new characters, a whole new game mode, quite a bit in general. 11 bucks ain't terrible for it, especially if you liked the original, it's just massively expanding your options and adds new interesting items and OP combos.

Not to mention the modding that exists now, look up modding of isaac sometime. Crazy stuff there.
>>
>>321364076
Yeah, and that's the bullshit. It lines up with the market. Which sucks, and which indie guys usually go out of their way to avoid.

Usually it's, this game wasn't that expensive to produce, and doesn't have as much content, so hey it's priced super reasonably and goes on sale all the time because that still nets them a profit.

But when you see this, DLC as expensive as the main game, you KNOW that's not right. There's a bit of "let's line up with the market" shining through there. It's not that much money, but hey, people will pay it. And that pisses me off.
>>
File: 1415490596894.png (22 KB, 352x438) Image search: [Google]
1415490596894.png
22 KB, 352x438
>>321363862
>When all it has are like a couple of new sprites and lines of code
why are you lying on the internet?

>4 new alternate chapters
>more room layouts
>over 30 added enemies
>10 bosses
>95 items and 29 trinkets
>2 characters
>9 transformations
>more synergies
>a new game mode
>>
>>321364447
>Okay real talk, the reason I'm bitching is because I care.

Oh geeze, don't break your arm jerking yourself off there.
>>
>>321364848

I'm not sure what exactly you find contemptible about the pricing. Roughly 30 dollars, the price of three mediocre lunches, doesn't seem that terrible for something which offers even 50 hours of gameplay.

You suggest they offer their good for less than the market usually runs? You want the market to be on-the-whole lower?

I think that, in this case, with the absolutely astounding availability that is offered through the internet the price is pretty fair. If people want to beat the market, they're free to offer their games for lower price points.

I bought Soma for 30 bucks on release. It's a game that's roughly 7 hours long, and even then I didn't feel slighted or that it was mispriced. Perhaps if it was 60 dollars I might find myself grumbling, but for a game that's so well regarded as BoI I just don't see why you think ~30 dollars for the whole package is unreasonable.

Having higher price points also generates more profits, which rewards the developers we like and allows for more people to enter the market and make games.

I think the DLC offers 11 dollars worth of content for you. The main game, if anything, is actually priced very low and the DLC's pricing reflects that rather than the other way around. The game's price is low because it's been out for a while (I think, I don't know what it cost upon release.) and thus the brand new DLC is going to be in the high bracket of the price cycle. As a result, the two are very close, one at the peak and one at the trough creating a similar price for two different goods.
>>
>>321364848
It's not DLC though. It's what would have originally been called an Expansion, just like Wrath of the Lamb was. It's just simpler to label it as DLC on Steam these days.
>>
File: 1449639098301.jpg (65 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449639098301.jpg
65 KB, 768x1024
Tl;dr: the thread
Jesus Christ. I thought this is a video games IMAGE board, anon. Post some vidya pic.
>>
>>321367550
>"post a vidya pic!"
>posts 3dpd sluts instead to make his point

Anon, you had one job. That doesn't count.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.