[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam Version
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16
File: Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg (34 KB, 478x264) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg
34 KB, 478x264
Community removed the filter and is now in the process or replacing the sprites.
>>
File: asdad.png (846 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
asdad.png
846 KB, 1920x1080
>>321357405
>>
>>321357494
Still looks ugly.
GBA version + patches still the way to go.
>>
Are they gonna fix FFV? That game is better. Kefka is a gay Sephiroth, and ExDeath is the GOAT.
>>
>>321357405
So... Why not just emulate the snes version?
>>
File: rs2.jpg (108 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
rs2.jpg
108 KB, 600x337
Now all that's left is to fix the UI, the portraits, the world map and virtually everything else about that shit port except for the enemy sprites.
The weirdest part is that SE can actually make decent mobile ports, because the RS2 one looks pretty good. They just gave zero fucks about FF5/6 for some reason.
>>
Thank god. If this goes well, maybe they can fix 5 too.
>>
>>321357742
>The weirdest part is that SE can actually make decent mobile ports, because the RS2 one looks pretty good. They just gave zero fucks about FF5/6 for some reason.

Because it's Western only. It's just a cash grab to trick baka gaijin.
>>
>>321357601
>Kefka is a gay Sephiroth
What? They aren't even remotely alike in any way except being each game's villain.
>>
>>321357598
>GBA version + patches still the way to go.
Never played this game before, what does that have above the original SNES version?
>>
>>321358518
Not the guy, but I think it has bug fixes.
>>
>>321357740
Lots of bug fixes and some new optional dungeons. Also has 2 superbosses.
>>
>>321358518
Less bugs, less wonky translation, Dragons Den and new superbosses.
>>
File: 1429821133681.jpg (179 KB, 698x454) Image search: [Google]
1429821133681.jpg
179 KB, 698x454
>>321358518
Its has everything good about snes version (audio, graphics), no shitty psx loading, the new content from gba versions and if you do it write, a truer translation than any other NA version.
>>
>>321358518
Better translation, extra stuff, bug fixes and it's uncensored (unlike the SNES version)
>>
File: x4.png (4 KB, 428x224) Image search: [Google]
x4.png
4 KB, 428x224
>>321357598
GBA still has inferior sound and graphics even with patches.

>>321358752
>Its has everything good about snes version (audio, graphics)
Emulate SNES and GBA versions back to back right now and say that again. GBA's graphic and sound suck compared to SNES. At least the PC version has the SNES quality soundtrack + all the gba extras + script.

>>321357494
>>321357742
Looking so much better without that awful bilinear filter. For me, I just need the sprites redrawn like pic related with less contrast and a UI like FFV's PC release would be fine. FFVI PC's existing UI is unbearable.
>>
>>321357405
While I commend them for wanting to fix something so shitty, why go through the effort when you can just play the SNES or GBA versions? What extra stuff does this version have that the GBA version doesn't?
>>
Woolsey's uncensored patch for FFVI is quite good, playing it for the first time though. It includes all the bugfixes apparently. Music is intact, which makes it automatically better than gba version. Another anon recommended it. Thanks to that anon
>>
>>321359023
>GBA still has inferior sound and graphics even with patches.

Not at all.
>>
>>321359353
SFC/SNES
+Beautiful Spritework
+Original soundtrack made for the SNES sound chip
-Some battle bugs (Evade stat does nothing; Vanish plus X-Zone/Doom kills all bosses)
-No extra content found in GBA/moblie/PC version
+/- Outdated/Inaccurate translation (fire 1, 2 ,3, mistranslated or truncated names for items/wrong enemy names/ straight up mischaracterizations of some characters like Setzer due to a rushed script)

PS1
+Beautiful Spritework
+Faithful version of SNES soundtrack
+Bestiary
+Art Gallery/CG movies
-Persistent loading in menus and in battles. This is a huge minus
-Same script issues

GBA
+Beautiful Spritework, although it has a brighter palate, common with SNES port to GBA(can be patched but still inferior to snes artwork)
+New translation that fixes the spell names to a more general consistency established in FFVIII
+New Espers, Ultimate Weapons, and 2 new bonus dungeons, Czar/Kaiser Dragon
+Music Player
+Bestiary
-Poor quality soundtrack by default. You can patch the ROM for the SNES analog but it's still inferior to SNES soundtrack.

Mobile
+Has the new translation, GBA content, music player, and bestiary.
+Auto battle
+SNES quality soundtrack
+Achievements
+Fixed Cyan's Bushido/Swdtech to charge passively
+Optional hint system to show next steps in the story
+Journal system that operates as a quest log, documenting completed scenarios
+Towns and locations are marked to coincide with storyline to prevent any wandering
-Ugly reskin.
>>
>>321360351
>+Fixed Cyan's Bushido/Swdtech to charge passively
WOT?

Seriously?
>>
File: 1443292092949.jpg (41 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1443292092949.jpg
41 KB, 540x960
>>321360351
>+Achievements

How is this a plus.
>>
>>321360601
Sorry I copy/pasted from a different post.
Should've listed that as a plus to some, minus to others, It's whatever.
>>
>>321360351
Some people will argue some of those pro on mobile. Although I don't find them bad. They also fixed the vanish+doom glitch and block stats actually works.

I like all the pros you listed though.
>>
>>321360342
Dude the GBA soundchip is pretty awful.
>>
>>321360342
I guess you think mozart and metallica sounds the same.
>>
>>321360576
Yep. My nigga Cyan got buffed.
>>
File: 1240220978650.gif (893 KB, 253x197) Image search: [Google]
1240220978650.gif
893 KB, 253x197
>>321360351
>Auto battle
>Achievements
>Optional hint system to show next steps in the story
>Journal system that operates as a quest log, documenting completed scenarios
>Towns and locations are marked to coincide with storyline to prevent any wandering
>+
9/11 made me respond
>>
>I've been emulating a patched SNES rom for years
>this is supposed to be an improvement
Squeenix needs to just stop ruining every final fantasy they put their hands on.
>>
>>321362171
>>Auto battle
Auto battle is convenient for grinding low level monsters. It's not a minus at all, Final Fantasy IV on PSP had it.
>>
>>321360351
>Auto Battle
>Achievements
>Hint system
>Marked to prevent wandering

It's faggots like you, thinking those are PLUSES and not negatives, that have made games turn to the shit state they're in now.

>Autobattle
Dumbing shit down and making stupid people wonder why the game is shit when their auto can't simply outdps a boss

>Achievements
Useless shit you don't need, the only Achievement you need is to enjoy the story and beat the fucking game you easily-led cow

>Hint system
We already had this. It's called "READING THE GODDAMN TEXT" you button-mashing goldfish-memory cunt.

>Marked to prevent wandering
So you'll never find any cool secrets or find neat shit like Gogo's dungeon, or Strago's Intangir fight, etc. Exploring the map for lil extras is part of the fun you linear-hallway-loving piece of shit

I've owned every version of this to come out except the iOS and now Steam one just on principal of them pissing on the original like they have with the sprites and lazy systems; even if people fix it with mods, I will not pay these assholes for ruining it in the first place and thus continue to tell them "Oh it's okay, do whatever you want, I'll still give you money like a stupid fuck"
>>
>>321362171
>Auto battle
You could just hold down a button in the SNES version for that.
>>
>>321362802
see >>321362742

Stop shit posting.
Obviously you're gonna turn auto battle off on stronger enemies and bosses that need strategy.
>>
File: 1448249115735.jpg (15 KB, 234x230) Image search: [Google]
1448249115735.jpg
15 KB, 234x230
>>321362742
>grinding low level monsters
you don't need to do this in FF6
>>
>>321362994
>(you) reply
Neo /v/ please.
Your dank memes will be dated soon.
>>
>>321362939
>You disagreed with me, you must be shitposting!

You need to stop using words you don't understand the definitions of.

The real point of that argument is, if you're not going to "PLAY" the game, why the fuck are you even bothering? Same argument against botters in MMOs, you're fucking retarded and wasting your own time rather than enjoying it and actually playing the game.
>>
>>321363202
Tapping A all the time on enemies that die in one hit is exactly the same as just enabling auto battle.

Stop complaining about shit for the sake of it for /v/ cred way to dodge the next part of my post, reddit.
>>
>>321363391
>Tapping A all the time on enemies that die in one hit
Now here is a garbage meme that needs to end.
>not using steal
>not using blitz
>not using swrdtchs
>not using motherfucking autocrossbow
>not using dance
>not using magic
>not using espers
>not using rages
>not using quick and scumming the shit out of boss fights
Why even play the game, let alone any JRPG if you're this jaded and uncreative? You obviously are not having any fun.
>>
File: tumblr_n8204dVU201t0fib2o1_1280.jpg (380 KB, 974x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8204dVU201t0fib2o1_1280.jpg
380 KB, 974x1920
Friendly reminder to not buy the Steam/Mobile versions of FF6 and instead to play the vastly superior patched SNES rom: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/232/
>>
File: FF6Dogs.png (2 MB, 1407x2546) Image search: [Google]
FF6Dogs.png
2 MB, 1407x2546
>>321363391
This guy beat me to it: >>321363929

Nail on the head, basically. Blitzes don't cost MP or extra cast time other than pressing the right keys. But I bet the iOS version just has you pick one, real niggas had to do street fighter combos on the D-Pad for that shit and they got rewarded for it.

Autocrossbow was great, as were the others. Every char had a unique thing to use, though I will admit Cyan was literally useless with Swdtech because he'd waste like 2-3 turns' worth of time of 3 other characters just to get a decent swdtech out, so I never used him or bothered. I never liked grinding for Gau's rages either and having to be down a person so he never saw much use.
>>
>>321360351
can I also add that the mobile versions have the advantage of being mobile? you don't have to be tethered to a tv or computer/laptop to play. Playing games outside is very refreshing.

>>321362802
why do you hate things that make the game more accessible to newer players? turn based RPGs are antiques, these days. if devs want their games to sell, and fans want to share their hobby, then you have to make some concessions to newer players. Also, old people, like me, got tired of hitting Fight 5 billion times. I want to enjoy the story and atmosphere, not stare a a battle screen for hours. I got shit to do
>>
>>321362994
no, but you have to grind, eventually. the first time you get to the cave to Esper land you slam into a wall of massively leveled monsters. up until that point, it was easy sailing
>>
>>321364521
>can I also add that the mobile versions have the advantage of being mobile? you don't have to be tethered to a tv or computer/laptop to play. Playing games outside is very refreshing.
Yeah I agree. I've been playing Dragon Quest 1&2 on mobile during downtime while I'm out and it's fucking great.

Of course I would prefer actual buttons but for an rpg who gives a fuck tbhfam
>>
>>321364720
The only time I ever had to grind in the original was for Phunbaba, simply because I had less than, or close to, 1k hp, and 1000 Needles is kind of a problem at that point.
>>
>>321364370
no... you still have to do the manual commands. I don't think there is a shortcut key, because I would have used it. I beat the game several times, back on the SNES. I want a nostalgia cruise, not to wrack my brain trying to remember if it's <>< or ><>
>>
>>321363929
I hate inputting blitz with this shitty ass controller so much
>>
>>321358518

What the other guys said, though the patches still don't make it as nice as the SNES version. If you can read Nihongo, just play the SFC version. Otherwise is audio and visuals are really, really important to you (and with FF VI's soundtrack, it's a shame to suffer a downgrade), play the SNES version. If a more faithful translation is paramount, then play the GBA version. Too bad Edgar thinking about ploughing Relm was censored in the GBA version as well.
>>
>>321364720
The only reason to grind in FF6 was to have everyone learn every spell, which wasn't even necessary.

You can beat the game and all of its content without stopping to grind once.
>>
File: 1381092863935.jpg (77 KB, 709x709) Image search: [Google]
1381092863935.jpg
77 KB, 709x709
>>321365082
>mfw I've been using a 360 controller and don't have this problem
>>
>>321360351

>mistranslated or truncated names for items

You know they did that in the Japanese version too? That's why Meltdown is メルトン (Meruton). Though it didn't have to be done nearly as much as in the English version. I don't remember Setzer being too different. Only thing I can think of was that "The Empire made me a rich man" or something line which was not quite what he said in the Japanese version (I honestly can't remember what he said, but I think the GBA line was closer to it).

That does remind me, the SLAM dancin' Moogle bit was really weird. That was completely made up.
>>
>>321364521
>why do you hate things that make the game more accessible to newer players?
More accessible? It lets lazy fucks run something in the background they're not paying any real attention to. It's regarded as one of the arguable best Final Fantasies ever, this isn't a fucking MMO or new game that needs tons of sales, it would sell millions on its' nostalgia -alone-, but it's actually just trading nostalgia sales like mine for "wider audience" sales like yours, they don't get anything "new" out of it.

>turn based RPGs are antiques, these days. if devs want their games to sell, and fans want to share their hobby, then you have to make some concessions to newer players.
I don't know what Marketing classes you think you've been to but that sums up what's wrong with the industry in general these days. It applies much less to re-releases of games that already had a massive following then butchering it just because they wanted to.

Ys released a version of one of their original games that had both old AND new sprites as an option they could select, THAT is compromise, THAT is accessibility, not porting a port and havin tons of broken shit when they have at -least- 2 different, much more suitable versions to offer.

>Also, old people, like me, got tired of hitting Fight. I want to enjoy the story and atmosphere, not stare a a battle screen for hours. I got shit to do.
Nigga you're not old, you're probably in your 20s at worst. I'm in my 30s now, I'm feeling my age, but I still enjoy every little battle of this particular game and doing it myself, and earning my sense of accomplishment. I killed that shit, I didn't let the game play for me. I did it a much more fun way than just spamming attack, too.

You "got shit to do", so do I, I work 9 hours a day and have to deal with family shit, that doesn't prevent me from sitting down for at least an hour or two each night and taking my time to relax and properly enjoy a game, not just rush through something to distract me
>>
>>321362516

I think they just want FF to be the opposite of Dragon Quest still, so they make subsequent ports and remakes shit.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
I don't get it, the PSP Versions were perfect, it has by far the best Version of 4 and yet 5 and 6 got mutilated this bad.
>>
>>321366026

>Best version of IV

Ehh... Not with that translation. It's better than the PSX version's, but it's still based on the PSX version's translation.
>>
The best way to play FF6 is with the Brave New World mod. You will not go back to vanilla.
>>
>>321366026
This is what pisses me off the most about the 5 and 6 Mobile/Steam ports. They made such beautiful sprites like in that picture for that and for 4: After Years, why did they abandon it for the shitty pastel washed out shit we got instead? The ones in that picture are fucking beautiful improvements to the original.
>>
File: 1377488086739.png (9 KB, 591x505) Image search: [Google]
1377488086739.png
9 KB, 591x505
>>321366262
>people still post BNW as if it's good
I played it, hated it, and went right back to vanilla. Image that!
>>
>>321357405
FF3 on Steam is FF5?
>>
>>321357405
All that hard work when you could just emulate the SNES version.
>>
>>321367063
ff6 was labeled as ff3 in US on the snes since the us didnt get 2 or 3 until later.
Since then every re-release has it as ff6 starting with the ps1 version in 1999

ff3 is an entirely different game
>>
I don't get it.

Why don't you just play the old original version?

No seriously. Why go through the trouble of doing this?

I understand that it looks like shit and is ugly, but instead of caring about the steam version why don't they just play the other version they enjoy?

It's so confusing to me. Honestly and truly.

You buy a product on steam that you think looks like shit, only to fix it for the devs, instead of just playing the one you already like that already exists.

They are paying to fix a problem in a game.

Why? Why? Why?
>>
>>321367384
Mostly because I want to have it on my Steam so I'll be able to download it any time I want, to have in my library and my profile.

I still have my GBA cart + an original DS, I still have my SNES and the FF3(US) Cartridge with all my saves from my childhood, and I still have the PS version CD though nothing to play it on; I even put the rom/emulator on my homebrewed Wii. I can and could play those versions anytime I wanted, and do occasionally. But I still want the un-fucked version on my Steam as well.

I agree with you on the paying thing though, which is why I'm not buying it even if modders fix it. I will not tell these assholes that it's okay to charge for this shit.
>>
File: 1386287354876.jpg (158 KB, 392x423) Image search: [Google]
1386287354876.jpg
158 KB, 392x423
>>321367384
Square Enix did THAT bad of a job.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.