[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How more difficult than making a 2D game is making a 3D game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Unity-Source-Unreal.jpg (38 KB, 587x345) Image search: [Google]
Unity-Source-Unreal.jpg
38 KB, 587x345
How more difficult than making a 2D game is making a 3D game?

Anon-developers, welcome.
>>
Way more work.
>>
Depends on your skillset and how it was you were making 2D games. Were you using 3D models with a locked sidescroller camera? Were you using sprites? What engine were you using?

It could be anywhere from a minor jump in difficulty to a massive jump depending on your answers.
>>
Making custom maps for Source is piss easy, so there's that.
>>
I think tile based 3D can't be that much harder than 2D. I've done some 3D things but never a full 3D game. So that's just my opinion.
>>
>>321306710
Asset creation is the hard part of making a game. When you're just making a map for an already made game you also get access to all of their assets. When you're making your own game you have to make most of your own assets.
>>
>>321304824

When the hell is Source Engine 2 coming out?

I want to use it, because it's completely free with the only stipulation being that there has to be a Steam version of it, which is not really a problem.

You would have to be crazy or EA to not release your game on Steam.
>>
>>321307075
DOTA 2 uses Source 2, so it's kinda out. I don't know about a standalone SDK though.

How did EA get out of putting Titanfall on Steam? That uses Source.
>>
The initial learning curve is higher for 3D assets but 2D assets are harder to churn out over time en masse. 3D gameplay is legitimately more complex to design and code, but 2D gameplay is more limited.

There are tradeoffs for each, so consider the scope of your project first. If you're asking this question then you probably want to start with a small 2D project to get your feet wet before learning how to model.
>>
>>321307417

Source 2 has that rule, I guess Source 1 does not have that rule.
>>
>>321307761
Also EA probably paid a lot for the license to the Source engine.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.