[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of uncharted games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: uncharted.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
uncharted.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1080
Can someone please explain to me the appeal of uncharted games? I just don't get it, to me it's just a linear on rails cinematic third person shooter/adventure game. I don't see the fun in it at all which is exactly why I'm not excited for uncharted 4.
>>
>>321304535

People are dumb and can't tell the game is playing itself

same goes for shit like the CoD campaigns
>>
>>321304535
It's basically an Indiana Jones film that you occasionally interact with. If you can sit back and enjoy an action-adventure movie then there is no reason you wouldn't enjoy Uncharted.

If you like to have some actual gameplay in your games then it probably isn't the series for you.
>>
>>321304535
>linear on rails cinematic third person shooter/adventure game

You pretty much just stated in there. That's the appeal that some people seem to get from this

EXPLOSIONS LMAO
ON THE EDGE ACTION
EDGY FIGHTS

That's it, some people enjoy it. 80s action movie with a few button prompts.
>>
>>321304535
>linear
That is a choice, not a shortcoming. The insistence by some that open world is required to make games good is part of the reason there are so many bad games coming out in recent years
>on rails
Not even close to true, you can freely move through game play areas
>cinematic
Again a choice not a shortcoming, in fact it pioneered the interactive movie genre in a sense
>third person shooter/adventure game
Yup, thats what it is. Most games fall into the category of 3rd person shooter. I don't see the problem here
>>
>>321304535
>if its linear its bad

I want millennials to leave.
>>
It's fun, there's nothing special about it besides the dialogues, imo, but it's fun to play.
>>
I wasn't a fan of them at all when they came out. Recently I picked up the Nathan Drake collection on PS4 and gave the series another try.

They're awesome.

That's it, plain and simple. The action is great, set pieces are great, characters and stories are great. They are not RPGs or Tactical Shooters or Grand Strategy or anything complicated like that - they're cool action shooters with well designed platforming challenges and third person shooting set pieces. If you don't want that in a game you won't like Uncharted. If you can appreciate what it brings then you will love these games. I personally can't wait for 4.
>>
>>321304535
Playing it is the equivalent to watching a fun popcorn movie. You're not going to get anything too complex in terms of gameplay or story, but it's a fun ride while it lasts.

inb4
>le movie game hurr durr

yeah, and what's wrong with that from time to time?
>>
File: #1 anime face of 2014.jpg (716 KB, 5000x3869) Image search: [Google]
#1 anime face of 2014.jpg
716 KB, 5000x3869
>>321305762
>platforming challenges
>>
>>321305408
>>321305501

I mean, linear is okay if the actual gameplay is good, but uncharted just has generic peekaboo shootan and almost completely automatic platforming
>>
>>321304535
U3's MP is godly, the most fun i've ever had.
>>
>>321306062
It gets tricky once supernatural stuff starts happening. In fact I would say towards the end of 3 was outright unfair with those fire guys that one teleport around and one hit you with their fireballs. I didn't enjoy playing that part at all
>>
2 is the best. 3 is worse just because they added a bunch of stupid shit. Like that one scene where you just hold forward to go through the rocks. Just fucking make it a cutscene you fucks.

Over all the game is just a generic tps, but it does it so well and that is why it gets its praise. all the haters are just pcfags, M$, or nintendrones.
>>
>>321306062
If a game is linear by choice then don't cite linearity as a flaw you faggot.
>>
I played the first and thoguht it was okay. It's short and entertaining enough. Both the platforming and shooting mechanics are a little clunky. Not worth $60 each but they're a good way of killing a few hours.
>>
>>321306062

I don't think you've actually played them.

There's a scene in 3 where you have to escape a burning mansion. You are jumping over pits of fire, shooting guys down before the flames get to the floor you're on, making desperate dashes towards doorways before they collapse... it's a lot more than just peekaboo shooting or automatic platforming.

In 2 you have the train sequence which is one of the most impressive sections in a game I've ever seen, honestly. You can freely move along the inside or outside of this train car as it goes through the jungle, each car providing not only a clever platforming challenge but a combat challenge, too. You can go guns blazing or stealth kill enemies, and the further you get down the train the more complicated and intense the challenges become. Eventually you end up in the mountains and the feel changes completely from jungle to snowy peaks. It's really really cool, and not at all like watching a movie.
>>
>>321306540
And also you fight macho man randy savage. Don't forget that part
>>
>>321306540

Most of that is scripted as fuck though

also you have to be retarded to describe anything in uncharted as a "platforming challenge"
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.