[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good job /v/, you made me fall for the "dark souls 2 is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: Dark-Souls-II-wp1.jpg (47 KB, 640x395) Image search: [Google]
Dark-Souls-II-wp1.jpg
47 KB, 640x395
Good job /v/, you made me fall for the "dark souls 2 is bad" meme. I finally got this game, and after 100+ hours of ds1, i can say that ds2 is way better:
>60fps max setting, while ds1 ran at 25 in 720p
>majula is the comfiest place ever
>online finally not shit, both pvp and coop
>boss at every level
>better rolling
>bonfire ascetics
>character respec
>warping available from the start
>good level design
>literally more of ds1 (i got level 62 after 6 hours)

Why are you keep pushing this shitty meme?

>inb4 muh lore!!!
>inb4 muh atmosphere!!
>>
>>321303783

the lore and atmosphere werent nearly as good
>>
Because some people here genuinely have taste.
Still stupid to not try the game out yourself

Shit you are like retarded on three different levels this is getting ridiculous.
>>
Hit detection
Soul Memory
Weapon Degradation
Ridiculously low skill ceiling.
>>
>Hit boxes
It makes me mad just watching videos. I played DeS and am now playing DaS on PC. I'm considering getting DS2, but that bullshit with the hitboxes will put me off entirely.
I've been told that speccing into certain stats is actually how you avoid that, is this true? Is there a comparison available?

I'm really bad at these games, so if rather not get something that's bullshit along with being punishing.
>>
>>321304203
>Hit detection
Can't play without 1 second of iframes? And please don't post the dragon fart webm.
>Soul Memory
I don't see why it's bad, but i guess i'm too early in game. Coop and pvp work perfectly, i don't see why i should care about sm.
>Weapon Degradation
They simply made the repair process automatic, instead of manually repairing them at the bonfire. Looks like a plus to me.
>Ridiculously low skill ceiling
Can't really say anything about this one, but i don't see a difference from ds1
>>
>>60fps max setting, while ds1 ran at 25 in 720p
Still looks worse than DS1 somehow
>>majula is the comfiest place ever
Not comfier than firelink shrine
>>online finally not shit, both pvp and coop
Doesn't matter if the entire game is shit
>>boss at every level
Doesn't matter if all the bosses are forgettable and bland
>>better rolling
>having to level a stat for more invincibility frames
>>bonfire ascetics
Don't remember bonfires looking better in DS2
>>>character respec
Aka casualization, making new characters is now completely useless
>>warping available from the start
More casualization, also they did this because the level design was fucking atrocious
>>good level design
HAHA, WHAT? Now I'm starting to think you're trolling instead of just being a pleb with bad taste
>>literally more of ds1 (i got level 62 after 6 hours)
What?

>inb4 muh lore!!!
>inb4 muh atmosphere!!

Those were both important to the Souls universe, now gtfo you faggot Team B shill.
>>
File: 1448673557432.jpg (19 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
1448673557432.jpg
19 KB, 210x210
>>321303783
>>good level design
>>
>>321305007
bonfire ascetics are items that make all the enemies in the area harder.
>>
>>321303783

All that stuff is nice and all, but there's a lot of shit that makes me not enjoy it:

>ADP
>Soul Memory
>Enemies that turn on an "axis"
>hitbox problems, which are exacerbated by ADP

It's fine if you like it, but I don't.
>>
>>321305201
That's how fucking forgettable the game is.

Also I don't see how that's a good thing. The game should be difficult in the first place, it shouldn't require an item to make it more difficult. We have NG+ for that.
>>
>>321304203
>Hit detection
you're just regurgitating shit you here on /v/ you underage fag, i've dumped hundreds of hours and the hitboxes are virtually the same as DaS1

>Soul Memory
agreed, this is shit

>Weapon Degradation
you're a casual faggot, it forced you to use multiple weapons instead of just relying on 1. though still pretty negligible as far as gameplay so dont see why it matters much in either scenario

these are souls games kiddo, who gives a fuck about 'skill ceiling' and once again how is this any different from DaS1

in general though--i liked DaS1 better as a 'single playthrough' as i thought the areas/world/enemies/bosses were far more memorable. however DaS2 has so much more content and better multiplayer so from a replayability perspective, i like DaS2.
>>
File: 1389501912823.jpg (131 KB, 315x367) Image search: [Google]
1389501912823.jpg
131 KB, 315x367
DS2 isn't really bad, it's just painfully average and inferior to its predessesor in every single regard.
>>
>>321305448
actually its a sign of your memory being absolute shit
>>
>>321305239
SM and ADP only things that didn't exist in DS1 though.
>>
>>321303783
>better rolling

As someone who never played dark souls and only knows the series through memes, this was hilarious. Thanks
>>
Ds2 isnt a bad game, its just a worse game. Ds1 is an easy 9.5, ds2 is an 8.
>>
>>321303783

No matter what you say, Dark Souls 2 still feels like fanfiction.
>>
>>321305634

I'm aware, and I don't think DaSI is any better in that regard. Well, maybe except for the axis thing. I can't even name enemies that turn like that in DaSI.
>>
>>321305623
I remember things from when I was just 2 years old though.

I don't like to clog my memory with shit games.
>>
>>321303783

kill yourself you shitty troll

>hurr
>good level design
>literally more of ds1 (i got level 62 after 6 hours)

come on
>>
>>321305007
>still looks worse than DS1 somehow
Literally autism.
>Not comfier than firelink shrine
Shit taste, but it's subjective
>Doesnt mattet if the entire game is shit
It's yet another souls reskin, how is it shit?
>Doesn't matter if all the bosses are forgettable and bland
Why not? Bosses are fun.
>having to level a stat for more invincibility frames
Strange design choice, but i don't see how it makes the game worse
>character respec
>muh hardcore game for hardcore gamers, just like me!
>HAHA, WHAT?
The level design of the areas i played through is as good as DS. The only difference is that they arent interconnected between each other, but again, i don't see how it makes the game bad.
>>
OP, you should stop paying attention to whatever opinion is expressed vocally on /v/. It's usual dumb meme garbage.

My own ranking boils down to: BB > DeS > DaS 2 > DaS

>>321304795
These webms are severe cases I've never really encountered despite finishing SotfS. /v/ keeps posting these to keep up the impression that it's a fundamentally broken game.

I've also never cared about ADP and i-frames and have not been significantly effected.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
Dude level design and suspension of disbelief lmao!
>>
>>321305448
Bonfire ascetic turn an area into ng+ equivalent (or ng++, +++, etc, max ng+8).

Looks like you havent played the game
>>
>>321303783
This game keeps causing my computer to shut down randomly while playing. What the fuck is wrong? I can play in spurts of like 10-30 minutes and my PC will just shut off. Then I'll turn it back on with the "Windows shut down unexpectedly" screen.

What do?
>>
>>321304795
>>321305239
The hitboxes in DS1 really weren't that great either, some anon in a thread got in an argument about it and I started keeping an eye out after that, I don't think I've seen anything quite as bad as the worst DS2 webms I've seen, but there are some significant issues there, starting as early as the Asylum Demon.
>>
>>321304795
Since you're coming from DeS and DaS you will notice a difference in hitboxes being alot harsher. Enemies will sometimes completely miss you and you'll still take damage, this is particularly bad with grabs. I've rolled out the way of an enemy before, only to be teleported back into his hands. Once you get used to it it's not so bad but still enough to cause a cheap death occasionally.

There is also now a delay between pressing block and raising your shield so have fun with that.
>>
>>321306252

It does look worse than DaS1 though. That's what happens when you design the game around an upgraded lighting system and then strip it out at the last second. You end up with a bunch of ugly fullbright areas that look cartoonish compared to the first game.
>>
File: 1448212178524.jpg (38 KB, 600x662) Image search: [Google]
1448212178524.jpg
38 KB, 600x662
dsfix
Then they failed because dark souls' world isn't supposed to be comfy.
Dark souls online was annoying at time, but definitely wasn't shit.
>boss at every level
Throwing bosses at the player doesn't make the game better, especially when the bosses are easy as fuck and have the blandest designs in the world. A massive dude in armor? Amazing. Same massive armor dude, except there's two of them? Impeccable game design.
>better rolling
The change was unneeded and made rolling stupid due to the dependency on ADP.
>bonfire ascetics
Good on paper but it's easy to farm shit like titanite chunks if you have bonfire ascetics.
>character respec
Good.
Probably the dumbest fucking inclusion, no feeling of adventure was present at all in the game since there's no incentive to travel through areas on foot.
>good level design
Are you fucking serious? explain how an underground cave leads to the sea or how there's a floating lava fortress in the sky.

I fucking hate these bait threads because I always respond. Dark souls 2 is a lot of things, but good is far from one of them.
>>
>>321304795
The shitty hitboxes do happen, especially in pvp. I put hundreds of hours into this game and its annoying as fuck.
>>
Game got better once they made that covenant respawn enemies instead of making you up the difficulty permanently of the area any time you wanted to farm for a specific item.
>>
>>321304203
>Hit detection
I didn't notice it being more of a problem than other Souls games, if we're talking Online play. Just the same old shit.

>Soul Memory
Honestly don't even remember what this is. It's been like a year since I played.

>Weapon Degradation
This was a problem exactly once. On the way to the sinking ship with the boss in it, my sword broke. I had to switch to a different sword before the boss fight. Was still able to win.

I wish there was more weapon breaking. It forces people to have back up plans and being skilled at using more than one weapon (until you hit NG+ or online play and everyone has multiple copies of their favorite)

Fully agree to this. I can't even recall the middle of the game because I breezed through it so fast. There were few bosses I had to even challenge twice during that time.

I played both previous Souls games, so I'm not a stranger to the series, but I did build a build I had never done before, so I was hoping to be a little uncomfortable playing the game. What I got instead was that I killed more bosses on the first try than there were bosses I had to repeat.
>>
>>321306436
videocard temps?
>>
>>321303783

Dark soul 2 isn't awful and is still a pretty good game but it does several quite important things in a wore way than DeS and DaS1, level design and boss design especially.
That said it also did make quite a few improvements as well.

True, it worked on PC out of the box and didn't need DSFix.

Yeah, I do kind of prefer majula to firelink, but I think it's a shame that the grave of saints and shrouded woods are locked off until you can get the cat ring or a fragrant branch of yore. Had both those items been easier to come by (e.g. hidden somewhere that is easy to get to once you know what you're looking for or as a starting gift) it would have made the beginning of the game even more open.

Netcode was slightly better but not perfect and there were still a few junk covenants. Generally though it was definitely easier to get some form of multiplayer done.

>boss at every level
Not necessarily a good thing, especially since a lot of bosses felt a bit boring and didn't feel like they were placed in a logical point of the level.

>better rolling
Kind of. Adaptability was at least a non-junk stat. But the mechanic behind hitboxes and calculating your i-frames could be a bit screwey.

>bonfire ascetics

Suppose so, at least it's more content and would let you get NG+ items on your original NG if you wanted.

>character respec
Definitely a good thing.

Eh, good in some ways, bad in others. Kind of encouraged lazy level design where each overall level ended up in a dead end that you had to warp out of.

>good level design
Some were good, but had poor bonfire placement. Also too often it was easiest to kite an enemy at the edge of it's aggro range.
>>
>>321305487

Are you implying that the Souls games don't employ tons and tons of ways for experienced players to make the game easier? A high skill ceiling has always been apart of the souls series.
>>
>>321306524
On the contrary, Dark Souls was the complete opposite. rolling Hitboxes were too good. Light Roll and Flipping made you invincible.
>>
>>321303783
It's not better EYE EM OH, but it's also not bad at all. I took a week off from work when it first came out, and let me tell you, I had a fucking good time with DS2.

Don't ever trust /v/.
>>
>>321303783
congratulations on your shitty pleb tastes I guess. DaSll is a travesty.
>>
>>321306579

Fuck off, both the nexus and firelink were comfy too. the whole point of both areas and majula as well is to act as a safe hub for your character.
>>
>>321306749

i'm implying that there are no significant differences in that area between DaS1 and DaS2
>>
>>321303783
>>boss at every level
>>character respec
These are bad things.
>>better rolling
>>majula is the comfiest place ever
>>good level design
These are factually incorrect.
>>
>>321303783
>good level design

>have to take a detour in Iron Keep because the bonfire is next to a 3 foot wall that cannot be climbed over
>hallways filled with mobs of high-health, high-damage enemies because "difficulty"
>exploding enemies right next to vendors
>bonfires that spawn you right next to enemies
>no interesting loops or shortcuts to encourage complete exploration of areas

sure thing familia
>>
>>321306846
>decrepit places full of depressed people
Yeah, sure is fucking comfy.
>>
>Souls Memory
>ADP
>Cracked orbs only.
>"Shockwaves"
>Elevator to magical sky volcano
>No memorable NPCs.
>Those fucking graphics.
>Pyromancy not tied to a stat.

Nah man, it was bad
>>
>>321306684
Good point, I guess I never looked at that. Shit I'll have to do that once I get home.

What's the recommended software to look at that?
>>
>>321306929
it gets laggy when some asshole tries to invade you
>>
>>321306768
What do I-frames have to do with a conversation about hitboxes?
>>
>>321306524

Like I said, I am aware: >>321306176
>>
>>321306929

Why is character respec a bad thing?
>>
>>321303783
>online
>not shit

yeah

nah
>>
>>321306579
>dsfix
I used it, same shit, same hardware
>Then they failed because dark souls' world isn't supposed to be comfy.
So, you decide how souls universe is supposed to be, not from?
>Dark souls online was annoying at time, but definitely wasn't shit
It took me 2 hours to play coop with a friend, after setting servers, mods and tweaks
>Throwing bosses at the player doesn't make the game better, especially when the bosses are easy as fuck and have the blandest designs in the world. A massive dude in armor? Amazing. Same massive armor dude, except there's two of them? Impeccable game design.
Best ds1 bosses are dudes in armor
>Good on paper but it's easy to farm shit like titanite chunks if you have bonfire ascetics.
Why is this a bad thing?
>Are you fucking serious? explain how an underground cave leads to the sea or how there's a floating lava fortress in the sky.
Level design != suspension of disbelief
>>
>>321307096
err, sorry. I meant i-frames.
>>
File: 1275183948438.png (271 KB, 423x467) Image search: [Google]
1275183948438.png
271 KB, 423x467
>B-Team makes a game
>Suprised when its not as good as the A-team
>>
>>321307123
What the fuck is the point in building a character if you can just respec whenever you want? I gave my character shit stats at the beginning of DaS but I realised what stats I wanted before it became too detrimental to my future levelling, so I eventually balanced it and it was fine, that was my character and I had to live with my decisions or start from scratch. respec just allows you to change your stats and play style every time you feel like it which takes away from your investment in the build.
>>
>>321303783
Soul Memory made Co-oping fucking impossible

The layout of the areas made zero sense on certain occasions (Iron Keep is the biggest offender here)

Limited enemy respawns meant that in order to get certain items you'd be forced to use bonfire ascetics permanently making that area of the game harder

Overall it's not a terrible squeal and they did fix most issues the original had, mainly with its terrible netcode.
>>
What's the order of difficulty of the ds2 dlcs?
>>
>>321306901

I totally disagree. Returning to DS1 I feel like I've more or less mastered it, parry timing and rolling down pat, while returning to DS2 I always have a nagging feeling that the attack animations, animations in general actually, the rolling timing, all of it feels off, and like I can't quite get the hang of it no matter how long I play.

Maybe it's just me, but the movement and animations of DS1 feels so much tighter and more consistent than the second game.
>>
I don't really like it, for no reason I can pinpoint.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game though.

And I really did love the first few hours.
>>
>soul memory
>stupid bonfire placements
>disjointed world: https://youtu.be/lMFDummTtp8
>i-frames tied to stat now and this is never explained anywhere
>broken hitboxes
>poise now worthless
>enemies with infinite stamina

I'm sure theres more I could list but this guy covers it all pretty well: https://youtu.be/UScsme8didI
>>
>>321307392
Because not everybody is a neet who can play vidya 20 hours per day
>>
>>321303783

2 was great for coop/pvp, but sins actually gives the game character instead of just being a bunch of rooms with monsters in them and little context, like heide's tower being filled with heide knights now and having a dragon chilling outside ornsteins room and everything. im really glad i got the steam sale upgrade. i just cleared the iron turtle area of old giant forest and it was great with the new lighting system making a torch helpful instead of just stupid
>>
>>321307528
what does that have to do with playing 20 hours a day? I played DaS 3-4 hours a week on average.
>>
File: Capture.png (79 KB, 331x163) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
79 KB, 331x163
>>321306252
>Literally autism.
Are you blind?
>Shit taste, but it's subjective
You like DS2, your opinion is worthless.
>It's yet another souls reskin, how is it shit?
It's not a reskin because it looks like shit and it plays like shit.
>Why not? Bosses are fun.
Only if the bosses are actually fun. 90% are literally big humans with big swords.
>but i don't see how it makes the game worse
Then you are retarded.
>The level design of the areas i played through is as good as DS
No.

Now kindly get the fuck out.

>>321306375
I didn't finish it, I'll give you that, but only because I thought the game was shit.
>>
At least we can all agree that Bloodborne is best of the Souls games.
>>
>>321307616
That in ds1, to try different builds you need to replay everything x times, while in ds2 you can do it in a matter of minutes
>>
>>321307501
DaS2 has a significant amount more input delay and will queue then drop button presses seemingly randomly
>>
>>321303783
>better rolling
>good level design

I don't agree with you on some of the points and I do think Dark Souls 1 overall was a better game, but I would never say DS2 is bad. Dark Souls 2 is still a great game and loads of fun.
>>
>>321307815
>DaS2 has a significant amount more input delay

Nope. Rolls are way faster and responsive on DaS2.

>>321307921
Yes, rolling in DaS2 was an extremely valuable upgrade from that fucking shitfest of a 4 way roll that was DaS rolling.
>>
>>321307815

Is that way it fucking is? Holy shit I thought I was just going insane. The aesthetics and graphics of the second always drew me in, but as soon as I started playing it just doesn't feel right. I guess that explains it.

Come to think of it I think I also saw something about a dead zone fix or something, a webm showing before and after the fix. That may have something to do with the movement feeling off too
>>
>>321307665
>shit shit shit shit shit shit shit: the post

No, but really, i'm feeling bad for you not being able to have fun and enjoy games
>>
>>321303783
>warping from the start
>good level design
You are objectively wrong.
>>
>>321307470

It really depends on your character, in my opinion. Generally, magic based characters will have a tough time in the DLCs because all the mooks have tons of elemental defense for some stupid reason. On top of that, they have high poise, too, so if you're not rocking the stone ring or a big STR weapon you're gonna have a hard time.

Basically:

>Shulva - Tough for characters with no range.
>Brume Tower - Tough for pyromancers.
>Eleum Loyce - Tough for all magic characters and those who lack poise-breaking weapons.

Regardless, Eleum Loyce is probably the most difficult area of the three DLCs, especially the Frozen Outskirts.
>>
Dark Souls (console) > Dark Souls 2 (any platform) > Dark Souls (PC)

Prove me wrong. DSfix helps a bit, but DaS still is a shit port.
>>
>>321308030
>You didn't enjoy this one shitty poorly made game therefore you are incapable of enjoying anything at any capacity
I love this meme, it's my favourite
>>
>>321308095
I mean level design of single level, not the world interconnectivity. That's more of a design choice
>>
File: thememesarereal.jpg (133 KB, 1400x900) Image search: [Google]
thememesarereal.jpg
133 KB, 1400x900
>>321306579
you need a mod to play the game to prevent a bug mess
same with the bosses in ds 1
farming is not a endless that is bad?
you are not forced to the tp mechanic since at the of every way you get back to majula anyway
level design in DS 1 is also bad except undead burg and painted world everything else is also a endless corridor
I also wonder why I respond to autist like you
>>
>>321308030
>i'm feeling bad for you not being able to have fun and enjoy ************shitty**************games

After playing DS2 I quickly reinstalled DS1 again and had the time of my life :^)

I feel bad for you for having awful taste desu.
>>
>>321308136
What are you doing in my thread? I thought you avoided shit games
>>
>>321308027

yeah this one http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/76/?

they made some straight bizarre changes in DS2 that I won't ever understand
>>
>>321308176
>a design choice
that's a funny way of saying lazy
>>
File: 1410391057931.jpg (23 KB, 320x318) Image search: [Google]
1410391057931.jpg
23 KB, 320x318
It runs at 60 FPS because it runs on new systems (PS4, Xbone, PC). Dark Souls II on PS3/360 ran at absolutely terrible framerates. I'd know, I bought it day one on PS3 and again on PC.

Majula as a replacement for Firelink Shrine isn't so bad, except when the Blacksmith is replaced with a better one a few hours into the game, the armorer has extremely weak armor besides Alva's, the Cat's only useful for the Cat ring and the Ring of Whispers, and I'm forced to go back there every fucking time I want to level up, instead of at a bonfire.

Soul Memory completely destroys online

Bosses and enemies which mostly consist of big guy with sword/spear, bosses like the Demon of Song few and far between

Slightly better rolling mechanics, but when you remove iframes and put them behind an Adaptability stat that is completely useless for iframes until you get it to 40, that's kind of dumb.

Bonfire ascetics would be completely useless if they just let enemies respawn like the other games in the series (including Bloodborne, the game after DS II, which means they thought it was dumb)

Character respec was a good addition

Because the world design is so fractured and shitty that you need to warp everywhere, instead of having things loop back around like in Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Debatable. Some areas are well-designed while others are just a total slog to get through.

It is literally not more of DS1. Not really sure what you mean by this. It's more Souls-type gameplay in the sense that DMC 2 has more action game for you. That doesn't make it good.
>>
>>321308308
>make a thread literally provoking people who didn't enjoy the game
>'why are you posting in my thread if you didn't like it?'
Well I don't know OP, reckon you could have a go at figuring it out?
>>
>>321308372
Lazy design choice is still a design choice.
>>
File: 1419539953012.jpg (210 KB, 1200x3600) Image search: [Google]
1419539953012.jpg
210 KB, 1200x3600
>>321303783
>frame rate and resolution makes up for glaring deficiencies in gammeplay, setting & tone
>online is horribly unbalanced, no fun or unique builds can overcome black magic spam
>bosses are uninspired and forgettable, developers tried to emulate ornstein and smough by shoehorning multiple bosses into single encounters
>character respec
>early warping
>good
>good level design
now I know you're trolling, 7/10 made me reply
>>
>>321308303
DaS turns to shit after getting the Lord Vessel.
At least SotFS makes the game bearable while also having the fun as fuck DLC.
>>
>>321308030
>resorts to straw manning when he gets crushed in an argument
DS2 fags, everyone.
>>
DaS2 isn't bad, it's just not as good as DaS or DeS

https://youtu.be/UScsme8didI
>>
File: 1447275027950.png (50 KB, 276x276) Image search: [Google]
1447275027950.png
50 KB, 276x276
>>321306813
>travesty
Typical /v/ exaggeration. That or not knowing what travesty actually means. So which is it?
>>
>>321308524
Yeah, DaS goes downhill after acquiring the Lord Vessel, but at least it had something to go down from to begin with.
>>
DeS > SotFS > DaS
>>
>>321308176
You're still wrong. Each level was so fucking bad that they had to re-do all of the enemy encounter placements.

The levels are almost entirely linear with little use of the gate and loop technique which makes the world way less interesting and without a sense of progression within the level.

That's why they did the warping from the start, because they were too stupid to use the loop and gate technique to create an interconnected world. Dark Souls really only needed the warp because you had gone through a one way area. If you could return from Anor Londo from Sens Fortress you could complete the game without warping.

It also puts an unneeded emphasis on bonfires, so there are way more of them which fucks up the pacing of each section, making them somewhat more trivial.

Again, this is a bad design decision poorly balanced by yet another bad design decision, only giving you one estus from the get go.

They've said in interviews they had no idea why people liked DS1 and they just got fucking lucky with a lot of good design decisions that they didn't bring forward into DS2.
>>
>>321303783

Honestly what pisses me off most is how lazy their changes are.
Rolling being the most obvious example.

They tied the iframes to a new stat they made, but then never changed that your hitbox stays where you started rolling for a certain number of frames.

This is the type of laziness modders fix up in a couple days.
An entire professional team never pulled it off though.
>>
dark souls 2 looks like shit.

dark souls 2's world is destroyed by immediate quick travel. its not the same kind of game as 1
>>
soul memory is the only bad part about this game.
>>
>>321308297
>that image
people dont ACTUALLY think like that right? right?
>>
dark souls 2 is a glib facsimile of the original
>>
>>321309192
Well memed:^)
>>
>>321308839
the lack of travel is fucking boring and you're only a fuckhead nostalgia fag if you don't think so
>>
>>321308729
I know exactly what a travesty is and DaSll is a textbook example of one, it completely missed the point of what made Dark Souls a good game.
>People like the minimalist storyline with more contextual storytelling and lore? lets make the plot to the next game intentionally vague and threadbare and design a boring world with arbitrary representation of the same old world that was already explored in the previous game and add nothing new!
>people liked the interconnected level design that made everything feel coherent and real? lets make nonsensical maps with warping from the beginning! oh yeah, didn't people think Dark Souls went downhill after warping was introduced? oh well! are level design is too bland to justify making the player traverse it again
>people like the challenging gameplay? lets plaster the levels with random enemies with no real combat strategy!

DaSll was a TRAVESTY
>>
>>321309456
Autism
>>
>>321309593
He's right in some points. Fuck off with your shitposting.
>>
>>321309445
>exploring a medtroidvania world is boring
Maybe a well designed game is just not for you, anon.

inb4 all metroidvanias are good
>>
>>321309456
This

>>321309593
>Autism
Something you might have
>>
>>321308839
Just don't use it, then. It's way more enjoyable, and you even get a special ring and achievement if you decide to play without bonfires.
>>
I played the game twice with no DLC, is scholar worth it for £8?
>>
>>321309719
He's wrong on all points. DaS2 is objectively better than DaS1. The only shitposters are DaS2 detractors.
>>
>>321309890
How much is 8 euro worth to you? If you are rich, yes, if you are poor, no. Move on.
>>
>>321309890
As someone who did the same I'd say yes unless you're into pvp or co-op since no one seems to be playing anymore or are too high of a soul memory level.
>>
>>321308297
>theres a massive grey expanse behind the windmill
>walk 50 feet behind it into a massive lake of piping hot glowing lava that extends in all directions and a massive castle
>>
>>321309930
nice rebuttal, I have carefully considered all of your points and come to a change of opinion.
>>
>>321307096

hitboxes and i-frames are linked. An i-frame is literally just moments were anything that does collide with your hitbox doesn't do anything.

It seems to be that in DaS2, your hitbox lags behind your character when you roll (judging by how I've seen the guy move out of the way and teleport back when he gets hit.) so if the model jumps out of the way but the hitbox gets stabbedit looks bad to the player.
Now I imagine that the core hitbox mechanics are still the same between DaS1 and 2 as it seems like the DaS2 mechanics were adapted rather than rebuilt from the ground up. So the problems we see with DaS2 hitboxes seeming to be more off probably stem from the inclusion of a varying roll speed and number of i-frames based on your adaptability. In DaS1, the hitboxes and i-frames were clearly defined into 4-tiers, fatroll, midroll, fastroll and ninja flip. So it's easier to predict when you need to dodge as you find it easier to get a feel for your i-frames.
Introducing adaptability in DaS2 probably made calculating the hitboxx a bit slower for the game as well as making the roll timing harder for the player to get a feel for between different builds of varying agility.
>>
>>321309930
B team please go. It's not. See
>>321308807

And maybe next time reply with some actual points, fuccboi.
>>
>>321303783
>yfw ive been playing for 44 hours, am lvl 115 and have just made it past Dangerlic Castle
>>
>>321309930
Only thing better with DaS2 is 60 fps and the dual wield stance otherwise I don't see any improvement

DaS had better level design and boss design except for Bed of chaos.
>>
File: DaSpepe.jpg (200 KB, 1000x714) Image search: [Google]
DaSpepe.jpg
200 KB, 1000x714
>>321303783
While I disagree with a lot of what you are saying, I will agree that most /v/irgins on here do nothing but spam "worst game ever! xD" and don't give the game due credit. It's the weakest of the series, but still better than 90% of games out there.

/v/ just can't keep their hype in check. It happened with DaSII. It happened with MGSV. It'll happen with DaSIII.
>>
>>321309890
Each DLC has 3 bosses but really it's 2 for each due to reused/lazy bosses. One is literally just a 3 invader ganksqaud, another is a boss from the boss game and the last one is a boss you've already fought in the DLC but there's two of them. Area design is probably better than anything in the base game but overall not really worth paying for. I'd recommend pirating it but if it's between buying and not playing then you should definitely buy because they do deliver a very good experience overall
>>
I'm either getting SotFS for Christmas or buying it myself tomorrow, anyone know the required ADP to get rolls with equal or similar i-frames to DS1?

Ex: 95 for a fast roll, 90 for mid roll?
>>
>>321310430

I think around 100 or 110, but don't quote me on that. I haven't played in a while.
>>
>>321310430
105 is 4.3 seconds i think. Check wikidot
>>
>>321310430
Roll speed/distance has nothing to do with adp
>>
>>321310737
That's probably why I asked about i-frames instead of speed/distance m8.
>>
>>321310430

20 ADP and under 70% burden is enough to easily dodge anything in the game.
>>
>>321310430
You can get by just fine when you get ADP to 20, gives you 96 Agility. I beat Fume Knight at that amount and I play armoured fucks with huge weapons.
>>
>>321310068

Seriously, all they needed to do was make it a downwards elevator into the same shit but with a cave ceiling over the top instead. It would even keep with the lore of how the castle was so heavy it eventually sank into the lava.
>>
I played and beat Dark Souls 2 multiple times but I still have a hard time remembering anything about it. I can name every single level and boss in the previous souls games but I can't even remember half of Dark Souls 2, it left absolutely no impression on me. The world felt flat and dead, I didn't like any characters, none of the levels really stood out as anything other than "generic video game forest" or "generic video game laval level". I had no purpose or drive, the emerald titties just told me to go kill 4 things and then go to the castle, there was no story or setting to it all. I enjoyed having a choice of direction at the start but the levels ended up being bland so that ended up being a big disappointment

Enemies came in mobs, bosses came in mobs, mobs came in mobs, it was annoying and was not fun at all. One of the bosses was just the same ruin sentinel pasted 3 times. Like they tried to one-up Snorlax and Pikachu and be like "Now it's THREE bosses at once, that is sure to be even betterer! Prepare to le die!" but managed to make it completely lack any impact. They were nameless loreless creatures that ended up becoming normal enemies later on, and that was one of the better bosses of the game.

The covenants worked for the first time which was cool. I did find the rat covenants to be a fun idea. Soul Memory ended up ruining most of the fun though. The arenas you had to grind for cracked orbs just to invade sucked. Made me just not even want to invade. The game offered a lot of interesting mechanics but fucked them all up.
>>
>>321303783
I really like Dark Souls 2 but it has a lot of terrible design decisions.

>>online finally not shit, both pvp and coop
They completely ruined online by introducing soul memory. It also has the shittiest net code in any Souls game.

>>boss at every level
Quantity over quality. A lot of them are rehashes or some boring enemy bundle.

>>better rolling
Tying i-frames is objectively a terrible decision.

>>bonfire ascetics
Only usefully for farming which you only need to do because the game forces you to farm for certain items.

>>character respec
Good, but it should have been more limited.

Good, having to backtrack and go through a level just to fight a boss/grab an item/reach an NPC has become redundant in Souls games since it's just wastes your time and most people are going to dash through everything. Bonfire placement is still terrible though.

>>good level design
Terrible level design. Some DLC areas were decent though.

And don't get me started on it having the worst hitboxes I have ever experienced in ANY video game, and having the worst enemy placement in the series.
>>
>>321311109
>>321311224
I was mostly hoping to get my i-frames on DS1 level specifically so I don't have to learn new timing, checked wikidot after that one guy suggested it tho and for the curious, 88 agility has the same i-frames as a fat roll, 96 for mid, 105 for fast.
>>
>>321309802
stupid fuck, you can only travel to areas already explored
>>
>>321308524
>At least SotFS makes the game bearable while also having the fun as fuck DLC.

No it doesn't. They took what people complained about and made it worse.
>>
>>321311279

Ruin sentinels were one of the better fights as far as the multi-boss fights go because there's a clear strategy and timing behind trying to isolate each sentinel to be on its own. First one is a small area that you have to be careful not to get knocked off of but lets you fight the sentinel alone, then you drop down and have a short period of time to fight the other before number 3 joins the fight.
The problem with the bosses is too many had the same style and so they all blend into each other.
Too many were a a big guy with a large sword. Had it maybe been limited to just lost sinner, smelter demon and one other the big guys would have stood out more.
>>
Where the fuck is the Iron Keep exactly? I know it's not on top of Earthen Peak.
>>
What's it like to play Dark Souls 2 after playing Bloodborne? I can't imagine how bad it must feel.
>>
>>321311974
To me it's exactly what it looks like; a castle in the fucking sky above the clouds.
>>
Warping from the start wasn't bad.

It was necessary to have you create a gameplay enforced bond with the Emerald Herald. It just wasn't expounded upon well, and there are other flaws in the game and game world itself that don't build upon that dynamic.

DS2 isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I don't think it was that marginally worse than DS1, but there are both glaring different flaws with both games.
>>
File: dark.png (142 KB, 664x984) Image search: [Google]
dark.png
142 KB, 664x984
Hardest playthrough you've ever seen?
Here's my fav, an Artorias fight with everything sped up by 350%.
http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm21575997

Some time after watching the whole run my perception of time changed, that's how awesome it is.

Youtube also his videos, but for some reason they cut off after part 20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jveVaDBRw&index=21&list=PLyLKv3V67FLk3zgaIBjIp9cBKVRFevZdK
>>
There was a lot of things I can't really put a finger on with 2 that wasn't as good as 1.
But the main reason I didn't like it was because of the hitboxes. People that tell you to level up that weird stat are fucking dumb too. Invisible hit boxes aren't supposed to be part of the gameplay .

Yet Bloodborne was superior in every way.
>>
>>321303783
The only thing I hated was the weapon degradation system. Hitting 3 enemies and my sword is half broke, what the fuck.

The armor selection was top notch in DS2.
>>
>>321312269
Warping from the start wasnt the problem, the huge problem was the amount of bonfires. With this amount of bonfires you dont ever struggle to get through an area and some areas just are never revisited because you dont need that bonfire.
>>
>>321312418
I think they tried to make it so you don't complete the game with just one weapon.
>>
Dark souls 2 almost seems a bit easier than the first one. Not anywhere close to 'easy', but easier. Can't remember progressing through demon or DS1 so quickly. But I could be completely wrong, and really its just that I got gud

Is the greatsword (ultra greatsword) worth using? I got enough strength to use it one handed, but the weight slows me down quite a bit.
>>
>>321312574
This was true for some of the 'midpoint' bonfires in DS1 too

There are bonfires in blighttown, Anor Londo come to mind.

But even then, i suppose DS2 had many more of those.

The reducing the amount of bonfires would only increase the difficulty on players who self inforce no-lifegem runs anyway
>>
>>321311773
smelter was great. His phases changed the fight immensely.

>alright standard sword and board shit
>oh he lights his sword on fire,
elemental damage change cant block all damage without one specific shield
>oh fuck immolation I cant hug him anymore

one of the few good bosses
>>
>>321312793
Isn't the total run time of DeS like 6-10 hours max?

DS2 had some pretty nightmare spots like Shrine of Amana (pre nerf) and Frigid Outskirts was awesome
>>
>>321304203
>Ridiculously low skill ceiling.

Are DKS1 faggots just pulling memes out of their ass now?

Literally the only game in the series that made any attempt at being hard and curb stomping cheese.

>muh MLG pro circle strafe backstabs! PRAISE THE SUN XD
>>
>>321313110
Haven't gotten that far yet, so perhaps I've spoke too soon. Only at the lost bastille atm. I think the 2h sword old knights in heide's tower were the hardest so far, but solo'ing Old Dragonslayer also took a lot of tries.
>>
>>321313110
Wait they nerfed Shrine of Amana? Currently playing vanilla and I can't tell you how many times I died there. Kind of ridiculous actually considering the boss of that area was piss easy.
>>
>>321313581
I'd say most of the base game is easy sailing, especially if it's not your first souls. Difficulty curve increases on some bosses, but it doesn't get too crazy until the DLC levels where the window to make mistakes increases greatly.

I think, by and large, the hardest bosses in base DS2 are Smelter and the dragon dude- someone feel free to correct me?
>>
>>321313823

Yes, they reduced the extreme tracking of the priestess' magic.
>>
What a fucking cesspool this place is. Ground zero for Souls cancer and still going strong.

DKS2 is hands down the best game in the series, i am being 100% serious. I did not play BB though i consider it more of a spinoff.
>>
>>321313110
>Shrine of Amana (pre nerf)

Thanks for triggering my PTSD, you fucker.
>>
>>321313823
I believe so, on playthough's months away from my first time it certainly wasn't as intense. And cheesing enemies was much easier.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693332-dark-souls-ii/69008647

I think this is pretty accurate, the spells used to move much faster and dodge windows were much smaller. And i'm also pretty sure ranges were only limited by pop-in distance.

Could be very wrong here
>>
>>321313956

>Smelter Demon

I remember making a pyro "twink" and just co-oping with people in that area. I'd inflict poison and toxic on him using the mist spells and then I'd just spam flame swathes. I got so much mail from people thanking. It's probably the most fun I've ever had in DaSII. Too bad I couldn't buy anymore spell-restoring herbs because of SM/Agape Ring. That was lame as hell.
>>
>>321313956
I have bloodborne, but I'm putting off playing it until I at least get far enough in DS2. Not sure if I'd do the DLC before switching off, though.
>>
>warping available from the start being a good thing

casul pls
git gud
>>
>>321310337
> It's the weakest of the series

Except it's not. And saying shit like this to not upset the rabid mongoloids is what turned them into rabid mongoloids in the first place.
>>
>>321314287
DLC is the best parts of DS2.
>>
File: 1444170040595.png (149 KB, 495x718) Image search: [Google]
1444170040595.png
149 KB, 495x718
>>321314373
It is the worst in the series but it's still a fucking amazing game.
>>
File: 2015-10-11_00002.jpg (535 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-11_00002.jpg
535 KB, 1680x1050
>>321314276
>I'd inflict poison and toxic on him using the mist spells

Ha! I did that with Dark Magic as well, but I'll always remember that one guy I got who, for some reason, both me and him kept dying like stupid chumps.
It was actually fun and frustrating, I dropped my robes and put on armour n' shield. Everyone else went smoothly.
>>
>>321313956
Velstadt and Nashandra gave me the most trouble in the base game. Smelter was pretty easy with a summon.
>>
>>321303783

My main beef with DaS2 is that it changed a lot of shit that didn't need to be changed, and a lot of the times the changes were for the worse.

The change to durability was terrible, especially given that durability loss was tied directly to the frame rate - how fucking terrible at code do you have to be to do something that even a high school level introductory class tells you to avoid doing? Having to drag your ass back to the hub to level up isn't that big of a deal, though using bonfires worked way better. Even then, they fucked up what already worked with the maiden in black by forcing you to skip like 4 lines of dialog before you could actually get down to business.

They implemented a whole new covenant to help protect newbies from getting ganked, then shat all over it with soul memory. Adaptability and the fucked hit detection on your dodge roll was fucking stupid when the mechanics they had before worked just fucking fine. They made poison weapons great but shat all over bleeding. Warping from the get go coupled with bonfires fucking everywhere really undermined any tension there could have been in exploring because you're always like 5 minutes away from being able to warp fucking anywhere you want to.

I mean, it DID do some things I liked. Power stance was a nice addition, even if it was pretty limited. But overall there were just so many little things that bothered me, I don't see myself going back to it as much as I do the previous two games.
>>
>>321314496
It's the best in the series.
>>
File: 1441561709198.jpg (60 KB, 598x522) Image search: [Google]
1441561709198.jpg
60 KB, 598x522
>>321314634
That is your opinion, but the game is great, so it's all good, mang.
>>
>>321314634
t. lvl 787 hexer havelyn
>>
>>321314518
Looking Glass Knight is up there as well.
>>
>>321314364
2 would have been horribly tedious had warping and bonfire amount been like 1. DaS1 is already somewhat tedious to get around before clearing Anor Londo.

The real tragedy of DaS2 was Miyazaki being a baby and dropping it to work on BB. Had the DaS2 team not been forced to scrap so much the whole game would have been on par with DLC. Tanimura gets unfair hate. For his part he took a half finished game with a bunch of scrapped content and made a solid game from it. DaS2 will always be wasted potential tier.
>>
>>321314517

Yeah, it really was fun. For as much flak as this game gets, it's the only one in which I could actually do a pure-magic run well. (For the most part. DLCs gave me a really hard time, which is why I eventually just re-did the character and stuck with low-level/SM stuff as much I could.)

You're making want to play again. I might just do it.
>>
>>321303783
while DaS2 improved on the combat and mechanics a bit for some reason it doesn't have a fraction of the charm DaS1 and DeS had in everything from the characters to the environments, and feels really floaty overall. not a bad game on its own right but definitely the weakest in the series. also Hunter's Dream is way more comfy than Majula
>>
>>321314407
Really? Well, then I'll have to think about it then.
>>
>>321314935
Honestly I tried multiple times to play full magic in DaS and I just found it really dull. I literally did not care enough to get the good spells.

DaS 2 it's weird, I found it fun despite being the guy who just plays Heavy Armour and Heavy Weapons.
>>
>>321314741
>PVP
>Getting hit by avelyn

What's more hilarious is that it has the only good PVP in the whole series.
>>
>>321303783
Just started playing DS2 a couple od days ago.
Now around 8 hours of playtime lvl 86 or so.
If you play this game immediately after DS1 it sucks. I waited a couple of months and now enjoying the shit out of DS2
>>
reminder that /v/ only brings up soul memory every time DaS2 is brought up because they're the faggots that made FromSoft implement soul memory in the first place

literally only guys who prey on newbies or abuse hacked files care about soul memory
>>
I originally didn't like Dark Souls 2, but the controls are so much tighter and the combat is good enough that I've been playing the shit out of it recently. There are loads of flaws (short range weapons are shit from the 10 enemies at once bullshit and strike damage being OP as fuck just to name two) but overall it's a fantastic game that I love playing.
>>
How often do invasions happen? I've been playing 2 for about 50 hours and I haven't got invaded once.
>>
Never once priced out of PvP or Co-op because of Soul Memory. If you complain about SM you are either: a faggot twink who spent most of their 200+ hours in DaS invading with a +10 washing pole in the burg; or mad that you can't invade people with your 99 in every stat character
>>
>>321315168
bloodborne pvp is far better than shields circling into backstabs
>>
>>321307048
try touching the computer case.
>>
>>321314518
Oh yeah, i recall now that the reason i had trouble with smelter was because i did a pure magic/holy build with nothing in stamina (other than that i got from attunement) or vit.

That boss specifically cucked most magic builds iirc
>>
File: 1450969157061.png (219 KB, 827x1050) Image search: [Google]
1450969157061.png
219 KB, 827x1050
>>321303783
>he wants Character respec
>he wants bonfire warping from the word go in a way that makes no thematic sense
>he likes the level design

Literally don't believe you
>>
>>321315141

I think it's because casters have more "tools" to work with as far as equipment goes.

Like, I can wear robes that increase my casting speed, I have access to armors that raise my int/fai, and I even have access to weapons that double as catalysts. It's pretty cool and it makes things a lot more bearable.
>>
>>321315827
And a ring that lowers your health drastically but gives more casts. Glass cannon is the way to go.
>>
>>321315456
>shields circling into backstabs

Let me know when you actually play DKS2 for the first fâm, this is literally a DKS1 thing and never EVER happens in DKS2.

Though BB is a separate thing from Souls and definitely has the second best PVP behind DKS2 it not nearly as in depth.

Good things:
>Bigger movesets on weapons

Bad things:
- Less build variety (not as much of an issue now with the DLC)
- That retard Miyacùck made it critical damage centered AGAIN
- Less thought process goes into it

About that last one, everyone just fucking zooms around with no care for stamina or spacing. Go watch BB PVP videos and count the amount of times someone walks up to the other guy and attacks, you either attack when the other guys zooms to you or zoom to the other guy and attack. It looks fancy, but mechanically it's way more simplified.

But it's fun PVP nonetheless unlike DeS and especially DKS1's shitstain.
>>
>>321306436
Press F8 and select Disable automatic restart on failure. Then play it again. When you freeze a blue screen should come up. Ignore the description and write down all the values and the file below the screen. Google search for thessolution
>>
>>321303783
read till "60 fps max setting" ...stopped reading
>>
>>321315918

That's exactly what I used. I think my setup was:

>Northern Ritual Band
>Southern Ritual Band
>Clear Bluestone Ring
>Red Tearstone Ring
>no weapons, just a pyro flame in each hand
>swapping between lion mage set and skeleton lord set

I don't remember if I had the +2 versions of the Southern/Northern bands, but I did get the +2 version of the Clearstone ring. I'm really glad pyromancies fuck up the skeleton lords. I felt so underpowered until I got 2fast4you casting.
>>
File: 1415544853297.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1415544853297.jpg
431 KB, 1920x1080
It's pretty good desu, most people who say that it's bad are underage reddittors who want to fit in.
People who say that it's worse than its predecessors make some decent points though.
>>
>>321317303
This, pretty much.
I can perfectly understand why people prefer one of the predecessors, but saying that 2 is -bad- is just a shit meme.
>>
>>321317303
2 is a fine game in its own right but when you go into it expecting something better than dark souls it really sucks.
>>
whenever I do a playthrough I co op as much as possible until Iron keep where I sunbro over and over until I get loads of souls and then I beef my guy up to last me until Drangleic, where I do more coop. Shit is mega fun.
>>
>Wanted to play SotFS with a friend for Christmas
>Can't be summoned by him for some reason

DaS2 ruined my holidays
>>
>>321316370
60fps max is completely fine, considering all the other entries to the series barely reach 30 fps
>>
bonfire warping isn't a bad thing, but it has to be done right.
in DaS1 warping was introduced because the next 4 objectives were on opposite corners of the world and all dead-ended after you got the lord soul. Before then the areas had shortcuts at their end that would loop you back to firelink.

in 2 it was just there so they could justify the lack of shortcuts and made traversing the world boring.
>>
>>321304901
Skill-based dodging was changed into a stat you have to boost to make it effective

SM breaks builds. You can't have builds for either specific invasions or jolly cooperation anymore because you will eventually be kicked into SM tiers beyond the usual SM for players in said areas

He's referring to the fact that weapon degradation is tied to framerate, so weapons degrade twice as fast when the game runs at 60FPS.
>>
>>321318014
Warping goes against the level design at times. Like having to pay the girl to rotate the room to Heides/Huntsman's Copse. No reason to pay her again to change it
>>
File: 1450120649291.gif (481 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
1450120649291.gif
481 KB, 500x321
>bonfire ascetics
What the fuck is the point other than allowing you to continue farming mobs that have a limited spawn.
>>
>>321318014
Think before saying dumb shit.

There are no "shortcuts" because DKS2 world was designed to have a hub with multiple paths branching in different directions each one progressing deeper and deeper. It was designed to be like Demon Soul so there is warping just like in that game.
>>
>>321318176
DKS2, unlike all the other games, actually has NG+ cycles worth two shits. Bonfire ascetics is to access that content faster.
>>
>>321318176
>tfw trying to farm catarina armor
fucking godawful design, another blunder
>>
>>321316214
Thanks, bud.
>>
>>321303783

While Dark Souls 2 may not have been the second coming of Christ a vast majority of idiots here thought it would be, it certainly wasn't the spawn of Satan those very same people describe it to be.

It's not a great leap forward the way each of the three Miyazaki Souls games have been, but it's still a very good game.

ESPECIALLY considering how fucked up the development process of the game was (switching directors halfway through, scrapping a lot of original plans, redesigning the map and many more). Dark Souls 2 was one of the best games of 2014, in fact.

Don't ever listen to the idiots here who do shit like pretend it doesn't exist or talk as if it's as bad as Aliens: Colonial Marines. It's not.

I may have been disappointed by Dark Souls 2, but I'm not going to act like a manchild about it. I'm not gonna do stupid shit like passive-aggressively list the Souls games without including Dark Souls 2 in the list.

If you like the base game, you'll LOVE the DLCs. Before Bloodborne came out, they were some of the best designed levels in the original Souls trilogy.
>>
>>321318612
why though? DKS2 handled NG+ the best by adding new content. It baffles me to why they added bonfire ascetics.
>>
What is Soul Memory? and how is that a shitty feat?

I love DaS1 and dont know if i want to play this
>>
>>321320736
your ability to play with other players is determined by how many souls you've both collected. Not spent or anything, just how many you've picked up overall.
>>
>>321318095
>Skill-based dodging was changed into a stat you have to boost to make it effective
Wearing light armor and having i-frames out the ass from the start is now being skilled?
>>
>>321320736
matchmaking is based of total souls accumulated and not soul level meaning you can be lv 1 and invade a lv 300 if you match their soul count. completely destroys the meta.
>>
>>321320736

Basically, it's a counter that you can view on your character's status screen. It shows how many souls you have accumulated, whether you have lost those souls or not. Instead of doing the matchmaking solely by level like DaSI, DaSII does it through Soul Memory. This means that if a player was level 30, but had a certain amount of SM, they could potentially connect to another player with a much higher level. SM is bad for twinks, general invaders, and co-opers because, as you gain souls, you'll eventually leave the average SM range for the area that you're in. It's extremely annoying, although it can be negated by the Agape Ring. Thing is, that ring makes it so that you don't gain souls at all. Not only that, but you need to have it on at all times and sacrifice a ring slot solely for the ring. You have to give buying extra consumables, upgrade materials, and new weapons/armors. This isn't that bad for a twink, but still. It's not exactly what I'd call a solution.
>>
>>321303783
>Too dumb to install a mod
opinion disregarded
>>
>>321303783
Its fun, there are some valid things bad about it, but its a good ass game. Most of the people complaining are just mad the game got popular after DS1 with all its problems.
>>
>>321305007
>>>60fps max setting, while ds1 ran at 25 in 720p
>Still looks worse than DS1 somehow
That's what optimization does to a game, retard.
>>
Why the lost sinner is such a joke? Beat him blind in my first try
>>
>>321322610
>blind

Get the fuck outta' here Carlos you spic a shit
>>
File: costanza.jpg (84 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
84 KB, 500x363
>>321303783
Okay.
I can't argue with shit taste.
>>
File: 1450425531676.jpg (130 KB, 976x960) Image search: [Google]
1450425531676.jpg
130 KB, 976x960
>>321318612
>DKS2, unlike all the other games, actually has NG+ cycles worth two shits.

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but adding a bunch of red phantoms does not make ng+ interesting.
>>
>>321310430
Get 25 ADP to at least not have the game feel broken.
>>
>>321304114
>Shit you are like retarded on three different levels this is getting ridiculous.

The irony
>>
>>321303783
I hope to god DaS3 doesn't have ADP, soul memory, or any of the other shitty design choices this game had. Being able to use multiple collectable souls at the same time was nice.
>>
Dark souls 2 isn't bad, it's just not as good as the first one.
>>
>>321317935
Have you tried this?
http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Range+Calculator
>>
>>321303783
>game looks ugly as fuck
>boring and unmemorable bosses
>the challenge from DaS is all but non-existent
That's the stuff I remember off the top of my head, I recently played it again at a friend's house and was struck with how much I didn't like it, this coming from someone who enjoyed their first playthrough and then never came back to it
Dragon Aerie was cool though
>>
>>321318612
>make the game so that if you want to make a specific build you need to progress %80 through the game to get specific gear
>if you want specific armor to go with it you need to grind for drops from enemies that eventually despawn
>at that point you may as well just finish NG the normal way

Ascetics are literally meaningless because the way the base game is designed is garbage from the start. Adding a bunch of red phantoms to an area, and in some cases a single spawn mob that MIGHT drop a single piece of a full set of unique equipment once per playthrough unless you allow yourself to be killed (FUCK YOU SENTRY ASSASSINS) is not good game design.

Everything about DaS2's level design and enemy placement is just so arbitrary and slapped together. It completely shits on the series' tradition of making it relatively simple to rush ahead for specific weapons/armor for certain builds.
>>
>>321322610
I heard he got nerfed hard.
>>
>>321323304
>new items like the moon butterfly set or +2 rings dropping from bosses
>encounters like Duke's Dear Freja attacking you on the cliff
>said red phantoms who sometime pop for unexpected ambushes
>boss changes, sometime with red phantoms
It's better than nothing at all at least.
>>
>>321327215
>>if you want specific armor to go with it you need to grind for drops from enemies that eventually despawn
>what is the Champion's Covenant

>It completely shits on the series' tradition of making it relatively simple to rush ahead for specific weapons/armor for certain builds.
>2 previous games
>tradition
>>
File: 1356909549474.jpg (25 KB, 480x348) Image search: [Google]
1356909549474.jpg
25 KB, 480x348
>>321305067
>Framerate Town
>Tomb of The Bullshit
>Annor Empty
>Lost Izashit
>>
>>321327732
>literally stated as being part of the creator's design philosophy
>used to deliberate effect in both games before DaS2 (the only game not made by the original creator)
>not tradition

Yeah, it is tradition. If you don't think it is, or that it isn't just a good goddamn idea to have in the game regardless, then you should probably just fuck off.
>>
>>321327882
you are right.
they should've copy pasted some completely out of place mobs into anor londo.
That would've made the game more hardcore (hardcore means better)
>>
>>321325528
I've done everything that could be done

>Matching Soul Memory
>Calculator
>Name-engraved ring
>Covenants
>Programs like Hamachi

Had an easier time playing DaS1
>>
>>321328120
>2 previous games
>tradition
We all make mistales, lad.
>>
>>321328316
Just like this typo.

>>321328170
Are you playing on Steam? Have you tried looking at the download region?
>>
>>321328461
Changed download region to LAN when using programs like Hamachi. Problem is that he can't see my summon sign, despite seeing others. We can summon, be summoned by other people and invaded. Just specifically my summon sign that he cannot see. Ripping my hair out over this
>>
>>321303783
Dark souls 2 is fine. it was shitty AT LAUNCH and not worth 60$. Ignoring the iframe bullshit and enemy tracking bullshit, game is fine now
>>
It's pretty fun. I'm playing it after 150 hours of DaS1 and 80 hours of Bloodborne. Might be my favourite souls game yet.
>>
DaS2fags are the worst, you like a shit game get over it.
>>
When is Dark Souls 1 meant to get hard? First playthrough and i'm just wrecking everything
>>
>>321329560
Where are you at?
>>
>>321329409
>it was shitty at launch
>but now its not

aside from the multiplayer patches, what was shitty about it at launch?
>>
>>321329560
Let me guess, you got a black knight weapon
>>
>>321329939
BIG BLACK KNIGHT WEAPONS
>>
>>321329939
>>
cba to read your autistic thread

but did they fix the graphics. i played at launch and was really disappointed
>>
File: 2015-12-24_00010.jpg (405 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-24_00010.jpg
405 KB, 1920x1080
>>321329939
>>321329739

Longsword +5 and wanderer gear. I'm in the blighttown (I think, the area where the ground poison you).

>killed the scorpian thing with the trident that shooting lightening (enterence to the forest bit)
>rekt some green moth boss thing first try
>rekt this "capra" thing first try (he kept getting glithced whenever I went up the stairs)
>rekt the gargoyles second try (only because I didn't know my shield could block their flames)
>rekt this wierd as fuck monster in the sewers, it was huge looked like a lovecraft thing (pic related).

Game is easy as fucking shit bro
>>
>>321306628
>This was a problem exactly once
By chance, were you playing the console version? At 60fps I had to keep a backup weapon because my main would wear down so quickly. Hell some of the dlc bosses broke my weapon when I fought them and only them. That fucking invisible ice cat broke 4 of my weapons in one fight when I was playing on my dex character before it finally killed over.
>>
>>321330449
Is it still fun?

If so it just sounds like you didn't start gaming with gen 7.
People who aren't that young generally don't find Dark Souls hard. There is just no handholding.
>>
>>321313567
>Literally the only game in the series that made any attempt at being hard and curb stomping cheese.

Pretty much this. You can criticize the design and the way the game progresses all you want, but the core gameplay is as solid as it's been, and its specifically made to shut down the bullshit of DS1.
>>
>>321330624

>Is it still fun?

It's decent I guess. My mate told me to check it out after he struggled with it so much on his first playthrough and seeing all of /v/ jack off to this games difficulty so much I decided to try it out.

To my surprise it's only mildly frustrating, difficulty comes from backtracking / rushing things. It's not hard at all. I'm also 21 years old.
>>
>>321304114
>like omg you are like literally like stupid like
>>
>>321303783
DS2 is best souls game if you really like the series. If you don't like DS2, you probably only play each game once (probably don't even finish them)

DS2:
>most weapons
>most build variety
>most covenants
>most imaginative covenants based around different play styles
>best magic builds in the series
>best mechanics (e.g. power stancing)
>scholar lets you play entire game again with different enemy layouts, making the most replayable Souls game even more replayable
>best systems catering to hardcore players (champions covenant, bonfire ascetics)
>most routing variety thanks to fragrant branches
>>
>>321306252
>The level design of the areas i played through is as good as DS.

Most DS areas in general are very path like and don't make good use of 3D space.
>>
>>321315367
You're probably over-leveled for your area.
>>
>>321303783
the only problems i had with ds2 were the enemy hitboxes and needing to repair so often. every weapons hit animation hits the floor so it drains your durability which means you just need to carry around a lot of repair items, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay but adds an annoyance. enemies like the ogre and pursuer have these grab attacks that warped your character into them if you dodged them, meaning they had bad hitboxes. other than that, it was still pretty fun but it made it a worse game in my opinion.
>>
>>321305448
>We have NG+ for that.

NG+ is an absolute shit tier, lazy way of making the game more difficult. It's inferior to starting a completely new game and gimping yourself, and ascetics allow you to freely pick and choose what areas you want to replay without having to waste time redoing bullshit.
>>
>>321316208
Demon's Souls PvP was the worst. Grass munching was shit, and magic was retardedly overpowered.
>>
>>321320736
Was supposed to stop twinks from destroying new players, except it didn't work and now the game is fucked.
>>
Will you faggots ever stop talking about dark souls 2?
>>
>>321328150
Oh, im sorry that i am ignorant of Mr Miyazaki-sama's brilliance in his level design
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.