[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here actually reads gaming press, or is video games journalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
Anyone here actually reads gaming press, or is video games journalism dead?
>>
>>321292995
Games journalism was never alive.
>>
>>321292995
Nope. I just let news filter through to me through Steam and places like /v/. It's kind of nice when a major game is released and it's a complete surprise to you.
>>
I just follow specific news tags on the iphone news app and sometimes articles by polygon and kotaku will show up in them. I'll read them if its anything interesting, but I don't go out of my way to visit any of those sites.
>>
Game journalism has been dead for the past 10 years.

The internet killed it.
>>
File: goober-grape.jpg (94 KB, 315x471) Image search: [Google]
goober-grape.jpg
94 KB, 315x471
ITT
>>
I read the magazines until PSM3 was shut down. In many ways, my life has never recovered.
>>
>>321292995
>video games journalism
Do you ideology advocacy? No mainstream game sites that doesnt push their bullshit these days
>>
>>321292995
Polygon, Eurogamer and RPS are in the gaming section my RSS reader.
>>
>>321292995
I sure hope journalism in general dies out soon enough.
Starting with magazines and newspapers, then killing off the online remainders until people can finally use their own opinion again instead of copying what they read in the paper.
>>
>>321295740
They'll just stop giving a shit. Plebs pretend to care about issues so it looks like they care, and because they can do it easily because they're told what to think.
>>
>>321292995

i watch yathzee every week but other than that nope

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116555-Fatal-Frame-Maiden-of-Black-Water-Review

>>321293543

T R I G G E R E D
>>
File: 1448132325628.jpg (10 KB, 206x195) Image search: [Google]
1448132325628.jpg
10 KB, 206x195
Even IGN has become clickbait trash now that only cover's content they were paid by the content creators to cover, usually they are several days late on actual gaming news.

Forbes is probably the best place for gaming news.
>>
I get my video game news from /v/.
>>
I would like to follow some amount of gaming journalism, but everything reads like an opinion piece.
>>
>>321292995
I read Kotaku for years but stopped when it became SJW trash. Now all my news comes from google or /v/.
>>
>>321292995
Was it Polygon who wrote that article where the author didn't even want to play the game at the event he was paid to go to and instead just mucked around trying to talk about world politics?
>>
I'm a journalist and I don't even read the gaming press. Makes me cringe. I just have a couple writers I like and follow independently. Really, that's what most people should do...

But I'd take a comfy gaming journo job in a heartbeat. Fuck a newspaper in its money bleeding cavity.
>>
>>321297851

Yeah, Polygon's old fart british journo did that. He's a senior reporter and I don't really know why he thought that was alright. He's the same one who sent Notch those inflammatory questions and got away with it. I don't know why Crecente keeps defending him.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-final-hours-of-half-life-2/1100-6112889/
>>
>>321292995
You know what I'd like to see? Not reviewers, but critics. CRITICS.
People that completely smash your games. If there's a part where the game design is butchered, it's a 2-point cut that slips off the final score.
No more easy 10 scores or shit. Someone that refutes anything given out by the company and takes the product as itself.
If someone has that old magazine pic called "future of gaming reviews" I'd appreciate it. It was spot on.
>>
File: 185464697555321226.jpg (39 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
185464697555321226.jpg
39 KB, 400x267
>Gaming
>Journalism

If you're this fucking retarded kill yourself. Might as well start reading reviews and news for the latest books that are released.
>>
>>321292995
Gematsu, Allgamesbeta and maybe /v/ are literally all you need in terms of games """""""""""""""""""journalism""""""""""""""""""". Prove me wrong. You can't.
>>
>>321298496

Sounds like Polygon to me.
>>
>>321298496
You know what would be nice? No 10-point scoring system. Either 0-4 stars or 1-5 stars, no partial steps.
>>
>>321298713
Yes, but Polygon sucks company dick and the point cuts are awarded based on how misogynist the game is.
>>
File: 1438556839858.jpg (866 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1438556839858.jpg
866 KB, 1920x1200
>>321298496

They can't do that, if they do they would just get blacklisted by the dev who made the game and BOOM, no more interviews, no more exclusive gameplay footage, no more invitations etc.
>>
>>321298496
Yahtze would be right up your alley. His whole review is he finds one thing he doesn't like and calls the game shit for it.
>>
>>321298732
That'd be too vague.
I'd appreciate it only if it was 0 to 5 as in at least 1 star meaning "alright". 2 being bad and 3 being suddenly good is too much of a jump.
>>
/v/ is my gaming press
>>
>>321299075
If serious, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>321299130
Why would you use anything else?
>>
>>321298243
Found it

https://archive.is/j7x2t

>I'm standing at a safe distance, drinking fizzy water, eating puff pastry canapes and chatting to another colleague about politics in the Philippines. I'm having an OK time.
>Some of the journos on stage are as old as I am and, frankly, no more rock-star-ish than a bag of spuds. This is a game for everyone. Except me.

Grade A journalism
>>
>>321292995
Well Polygon is funded by DARPA to brainwash people into accepting gun control, so I doubt they'll be going away any time soon.
>>
>>321299130
Yeah I'm serious and now I know every game other than splatoon or undertale or some anime girl game iis shit
>>
>>321298956
>i hated it
>i didn't like it
>it was ok
>i really liked it
>i loved it
you don't really need that much more gradation at a glance, that's what the text/video/commentary is for.
>>
>>321293391
>>321293821
polygon shills pls go
>>
RPS, PC gamer and Eurogamer. Don't always agree with them but outside of shitty freelancer jobs they tend to be good

The trouble is that they all lose veteran writers over time and replace them with pretty shitty ones.

RPS lost all of their great founding writers and although most of the replacements have been good (but generally not as great) there have been a few total shit hires too. Nathan Grayson dragged the site down immensely during his tenure and Joe Donnelly reads like someone copying from PR releases
>>
>>321299323
Super Mario 3d World was also pretty good.

Hyrule warriors was fun until the endless post-game content
And then the Twilight map
FUCK the twilight map
>>
>>321293543
>its dem goobers

The irony is that you're just as bad as they are.
>>
>>321299409
P.S. the Grayson comment has nothing to do with his politics or all the gamergate shit.

He's just an awful writer and a fucking american on a site that's distinctly British
>>
File: 0.png (882 KB, 1292x716) Image search: [Google]
0.png
882 KB, 1292x716
Never have, never will. I come to /v/ for the latest in memes and meme accessories
>>
I use Destructoid and /v/ for pretty much all my gaming news. Destructoid has had its problems with certain writers pushing their agendas, but the users typically call them out on it in the comments. Some have gone so far as to ask for certain writers to be fired, and you could make a case that the community there put so much pressure on Holmes when he was EIC that he felt he had to step down. At the bare minimum it contributed to him stepping away from the position. Also, Chris Carter is just about the only reviewer I feel I can trust.
>>
>>321299338
honestly, talking about grade structuration.
if following a 10-point scale it should be laid out as this:
>0, 1, 2, 3 - from absolute shit to not worth to buy
>4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - 4 is i loved it as little as possible, 10 is as much
5-star scale:
>0-1 - ditto
>2, 3, 4, 5 - ditto
because critics need to understand you don't need to know how much a game is shit or good, based on an equal distribution (0-5 for shit and 6-10 for good), but how much it was good only. if it's shit on, it's not worth to play.
they don't value "goodness" too much, so when you like a game a lot, but don't have the exact grade to express how good it is, you always see high scores because of that.
>>
>>321299545
Fucking this so goddamn much.
They're like the newfags who respond to EACH and EVERY fucking shitpost in ANY thread with "bait".
An equally useless post lacking any quality or substance whatsoever.
>>
>gaming journalism
>journalism
nope
>>
>>321293543
>We can't shit on video game journalism without people shouting goobergate left and right

Jesus, fuck off all of you GG/Anti-GG. I just want to talk shit about polygon in peace.
>>
>>321300779
Criticism would be a more apt term

Nobody complains that film writers aren't coming up with scoops
>>
>>321301054
it's the same dumb retards who spam >>>/pol/ every time someone's opinion conflicts with their worldview
little do they know it's impossible to attach an identity to anyone on this site without looking like a moron
>>
>>321293543
> still butthurt
> almost 2016
Shigggy
>>
>>321292995
I read PC Gamer in the early 2000s, it was great and the writing from that period of the magazine still holds up today. Writers like Kieron Gillen, Jim Rossignol and even the now-infamous John Walker really knew how to draw you into the experience of playing a game.

A lot of the personal experience based games journalism and reviews that you see now are directly copying the style that people like Gillen initiated. What's sad is that they lack all of his wit and intelligence, because they are vapid idiots whose egos have been inflated by 24/7 immersion in Twitter and other forms of social media.
>>
File: 1402497622039.jpg (37 KB, 238x289) Image search: [Google]
1402497622039.jpg
37 KB, 238x289
If you read gaming websites at all for any purpose other than a purely informational one, you're a cuck that can't form your own opinions.
>>
GAMERGATE DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>321292995
I really miss classic news journalism. Nowadays everyone seems to just spout their opinion on what's going on in the industry instead of just reporting the facts.
>>
>>321302489
Personally I try to form all of my opinions on things based on what is popular on /v/, and try to oppose whatever gets popular outside of /v/. Actually, /v/'s opinion on things supersedes any prior positive or negative experience I had with a game.
>>
>>321292995
games journalism never existed since no one in the business has a shred of journalistic integrety or can even afford any since they rely so much on good relations with the companies they pretend to "critique"
>>
File: fallout_newvegas_gametime.jpg (18 KB, 332x145) Image search: [Google]
fallout_newvegas_gametime.jpg
18 KB, 332x145
>>321302785
>/v/ hates competitive games like dota 2 and L4D
>/v/ praises snore fests as stalker and witcher games and co-op hug boxes like Killing Floor.

I rarely follow /v/s advice anymore.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.