[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was anyone else a little underwhelmed by this game? I just picked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: Bayonetta2boxart.png (226 KB, 265x374) Image search: [Google]
Bayonetta2boxart.png
226 KB, 265x374
Was anyone else a little underwhelmed by this game? I just picked it up for the holidays and I absolutely loved the first game, but it felt like this game was only ok in every regard compared to Bayonetta 1.

Like, apart from the Lumen Sage and final boss fights, no fight or song really stood out for me. I can't remember any bosses' name, and I can name like 3/4 of the bosses from the first game because of how well they stood out to me. Hell, the best boss fights in the game apart from Lumen and final were the boss fights from the first game, and not because of nostalgia, but just that they have absolutely killer boss designs.

I know I saw some people shitting on the game, but only because of the final boss's design, which I thought was really good, but just want to know some other people's opinion on the rest of the game.
>>
File: 1450722680361.gif (2 MB, 500x225) Image search: [Google]
1450722680361.gif
2 MB, 500x225
>>321292036
One of my favourite games, but I can understand a lot of the criticism towards it.
>>
>>321292036
Pretty much.

I don't think it's a bad game at all. Quite good actually, if not fantastic. But there are a few issues with it underneath the 'seemingly better than the first,' facade.

Yeah, the bosses are generally inferior to the first game's. Not terrible in the least but the first game not only did a better job at building up to them, but they were much better designed as well. For whatever reason, they decided that almost EVERY boss in this game needed to be one of the flying ones, which removed your Y-axis entirely.
>>
File: 1450887078802.jpg (1004 KB, 1800x2547) Image search: [Google]
1450887078802.jpg
1004 KB, 1800x2547
>>321292036
Even though Bayonetta 1 and 2 are my #1 GOATs, I do admit that they each had some shortcomings.
Bayo1 had QTEs, and I personally didn't like the movie reel style cut-scenes. The normal cutscenes were good though, other than the QTEs.
Bayo2, I dunno, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I had Bayo1. I agree with OP that the bosses and BGM weren't as memorable, and I just didn't like Loki's character.
I also don't like that her smash model doesn't have the super legs that are a defining part of her style from her games.
>>
>>321292192
What criticism? I never really saw many universal complaints about the game, it got 10s all across the board.
>>
>>321293054
There's not really any score-breaking criticism to be had for Bayonetta 2.
There's just the general consensus that, QTEs aside, Bayo1 was the overall better and more memorable game of the two.
>>
>>321292809
Yeah I wanted to add, was anyone a big fan of the flying? It was in like every boss fight, which really took away the impact of it IMO. Like, it was really cool during the Glamour fight and during the first Lumen fight with Temperantia coming out of nowhere, but when you started flying for every other boss fight, it just didn't feel very special.

>>321292930
I was actually a pretty big fan of the QTEs from the first game. They didn't feel super intrusive and were pretty fun to pull off on the fly, apart from maybe the jump-the-missile one that killed me during the 3rd Jeanne fight. Also don't get me wrong, I'm not shit talking Bayo 1 in anyway. If nothing else than nostalgia, I absolutely adore the first game (apart from the movie reels, still not sure why they chose to redo that in the second game apart from maybe budget constraints) and don't have any real criticisms for it. I'm just curious to know the thoughts people had on Bayo 2, which I still think is an exceptional game.

Also, I actually liked Loki. He was pretty weird and camp-y, but so is everyone in the game, so he didn't feel out of place at all. I certainly liked him a lot more than Cereza.
>>
>>321292036
Hell no i vastly prefer Bayo 2 over 1.
Bayo 2 is my favourite of these kind of games.
followed probably by ninja gaiden sigma 2 or something and then DMC 4 SE.
I'm a casual at these games
>>
>>321293319
>Yeah I wanted to add, was anyone a big fan of the flying? It was in like every boss fight, which really took away the impact of it IMO. Like, it was really cool during the Glamour fight and during the first Lumen fight with Temperantia coming out of nowhere, but when you started flying for every other boss fight, it just didn't feel very special.
Not only that, but it made the boss fights themselves unfortunately simplistic since again, there was no Y-axis, and everything was super simplified so that you only really needed to worry about closing the distance between you and the boss, plus avoiding their attacks. Since you were flying constantly, you were basically never in any danger of, say, falling off of a platform or something. Took out a lot of the design and depth of the first game's bosses.

Remember how Temperantia had you running all over him at various parts?

I'm really not quite sure why they opted to go that route for the boss fights.

>>321292930
Yeah seriously, the OST wasn't nearly as good as the first game's. Only Moon River and Tomorrow is Mine were any good.
>>
>>321293824
I thought some of the songs were good, although definitely not all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuBp7364saI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoBz_gRUUj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzfO4DMQFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYfachfQBqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwGySkkmiA

These were all very standout for me.

But I agree that Bayo 1 had the superior soundtrack.
>>
Man I can't find this game anywhere.
>>
>>321292036
My main criticisms are the same one I had with the previous game.
Most of the bosses are screen-sized "big-guys," but now some of them also require you to be flying awkwardly or going through a gimmicky scrolling level.
There are less arcade-y sections, but they're still not good.
I still don't like how much "shit" is on the screen during battles. It's distracting and sometimes obscures the action when the background starts clipping through the characters.
>>
>>321292036
Where did you pick it up from without paying scalper prices?
>>
I honestly don't agree. The first Bayo had issues besides QTE. The pacing was weird, that motorcycle level was complete asshole. Superficially speaking, Bayo 2 is a shit ton better to look at. Bayo 1 suffered from last gen "everything has to be Gray/brown".

And while I don't remember their names, I certainly do remember the boss fights as fondly. Loki was a bit annoying, but he's really my only complaint.
>>
>>321295187
>Bayo 1 suffered from last gen "everything has to be Gray/brown".
I don't know why people think this considering that, although Bayo 2's color palette is probably better and more varied as a whole, Bayo 1's overall aesthetic was fucking gorgeous.

And the two chapters where you go back in time in Vigrid in 2 were more grey than anything in 1 anyhow.
>>
>>321295157
I downloaded it from the Eshop for like $50.
>>
File: Affinity Intro.webm (1 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Affinity Intro.webm
1 MB, 720x480
OST is nowhere near as good as the first.
I blame the lack of full Paradiso focus. Architecture/designs also suffered because of it, although this may not matter if you like Inferno style.
The lack of Kamiya was felt. Yeah QTE are shit but there was a lot of curazy in Bayo 1 missing in Bayo 2. Also no hype at all to fight final boss as opposed to riding a motherfucking rocket with a bike as it reaches towards space
Retconning Old Balder to be lol possessed by ebil was also awful
I do however like how the colors are a lot more vibrant in Bayo 2.
>>
Disappointing as a fuck, especially the ending, which didn't even try to top the ending of the first game. This is still the only sequel they ever made, so I really feel that they should have tried just a bit harder.
>>
>>321293223
>My opinion is general consensus

From what I've read, Bayonetta 2 has vastly more polished gameplay and is overall a smoother and more fun experience than 1, and I've only played 1. The only 'consensus' I've heard is that the final boss is disappointing.
>>
>>321295519

Odd that so many people say this about the ost, but the composer prefers his work on 2. Says it's livelier.
>>
Nintendrones have shit taste and have never played a CAG. Why would you ever think they know what they're talking about? Ninja Gaiden is still the definitive golden standard of action games.
>>
>>321295957

You have to remember the buttmad about wii U exclusives. A lot of /v/ is poor and only tried Bayo 2 at a friend's house for ten minutes.
>>
>>321296060

Too bad your series has been dead for almost a decade
>>
>>321296060
>Ninja Gaiden is still the definitive golden standard of action games.
Ninja Gaiden is so unbelievably dry and unimaginative that it is dreadfully boring.
Yeah, the gameplay is tight as fuck, but everything else about the games is just awfully boring.
>>
>>321295519
>OST is nowhere near as good as the first.
Agree.
>I blame the lack of full Paradiso focus. Architecture/designs also suffered because of it, although this may not matter if you like Inferno style.
Kinda agree with this. Paradiso was fucking beautiful in the first game and every time you went there, I was pretty fucking blown away by how gorgeous and heavenly it looked, although it was great to see Inferno in this game too.
>The lack of Kamiya was felt. Yeah QTE are shit but there was a lot of curazy in Bayo 1 missing in Bayo 2.
Definitely agree.
>Also no hype at all to fight final boss as opposed to riding a motherfucking rocket with a bike as it reaches towards space
Agreed.
>Retconning Old Balder to be lol possessed by ebil was also awful
Fuck no, that was actually good since it gave Balder a lot more depth and made him into more of a tragic figure. Let's not forget that before the second game retconned that shit, he was pretty much ebil in the first game himself.
>I do however like how the colors are a lot more vibrant in Bayo 2.
Agree, it was an improvement.
>>
>>321296184
>Yeah, the gameplay is tight as fuck, but everything else about the games is just awfully boring.
If you're talking about setting, universe, lore, characters, environments, and music, then I kinda agree. Not him though.

NG universe comparably is boring as hell next to DMC or the settings in various Platinum games.

I do like Ryu a lot though and Sky City Tokyo in 2 was great. Whole game should've been set there.
>>
>>321292036
Bayonetta 2 is a great game. I think the only real problem with it is the length, but even then it remains a fun experience. The co-op is also neat, though I never see players on it anymore. As for the music, I have no idea what people are talking about. I thought it was at least on the same level as the first game. I'm likely the only one to prefer Bayonetta 2 overall.
>>
>>321295957

Bayo2's gameplay is more restrictive as enemies interrupt combos and you cannot juggle them as freely. On the highest difficulty human bosses become impossible to hit outside of WT, which doesn't last long enough and make the use of BoT too important.

Also the chainsaws are too strong and some weapons suck.

As for the experience in general, the lack of piss filter and optional fights not requiring random and costant backtrack of levels are a plus, but on the other hand there's air and water fights/traversal, boss fights spammed with effects in the background that make the action hard to read and a somewhat less varied roster of enemies.
>>
>>321295424
Probably because the city where the last few levels took place looked like splotchy brown asshole. There was no texture at all.
>>
File: 1446960695744.jpg (48 KB, 625x417) Image search: [Google]
1446960695744.jpg
48 KB, 625x417
>>321296458
Who the fuck plays an action game for characters or story? Is this a fucking joke? DMC for example is fanfic tier writing and cringeworthy dialogue. Just skip the fucking cutscenes..

These are the fucking retards who prefer garbage like Bayonetta... people who actually play a fucking CAG for the story.
>>
>>321292036
Bayo2 suffers from the fact that Bayo1 exists, basically. They got it right the first time.

Note that Bayo2 is still a very enjoyable game, but it isn't quite as good as the first. The heavy reliance on Witch Time for bosses is a big negative, and the weapons weren't as good as the first either.

Minor nitpicks, but it does make the first the stronger of the two.
>>
>>321295424
Right. Bayo 1 had a very defined aesthetic. The blacks and reds gave it a very burlesque atmosphere, while the golden highlights and Gaudi architecture gave the impression of a world under constant angelic surveillance.

Bayo 2's palette is great but it's less distinct. It feels more like your standard "light-vs-dark" affair, and less like "church-vs-wicca" if that makes any sense.

Plus I feel like you gotta look at the 360 version when judging Bayo 1's graphics. PS3 and Wii U just don't look right.
>>
>>321296708
I play them primarily for the gameplay, which is why I'm a big fan of every CAG series. I'm just saying there is an allure to every other CUHRAYZEE series for reasons outside of the gameplay. Characters, story, music, lore, art style, etc., can add to a game substantially breh. I love NG but I do find it lacking on some level outside of the gameplay. But I do primarily play these sorts of games for the combat, and I think that, for example, people who didn't like Bayonetta b/c of the story and/or aesthetics are stupid since it has some of the best combat in the genre.

Also DMC has a way more interesting universe and more interesting characters than NG, by far and away. Dante and co are much more memorable and interesting than Ryu Hayabusa and various side characters. Also 3 has one of the best stories in the CUHRAYZEE genre.
>>
>>321296708
Some people like games to have nice music and nice visuals in addition to good gameplay.
>>
>>321296228
Not that guy, but I'm split on Balder's origin story or whatever. Bloody Fate (which was horrible, but still) expands on the idea that Balder was pushed to madness by being banished from his clan and denied access to his love and his daughter. That's pretty tragic in itself, but combine that with 500 years of loneliness and consorting with self-serving angels, his motives for recreating the world aren't as bland as just "lel he was poisoned by ebil".
>>
I like it better than the first. More colorful, the first came out during the brown and bloom craze so it's pretty bland compared to the first, Noatun>>>>Vigrid. Also the fights were more fun IMO, since there was more variety other than the big slow giants in the original. The item penalty is also gone which I can see why that'd be bad for some people but I like it. No boss is as good as Jeanne in the first one though
>>
>>321297443
I still need to watch Bloody Fate actually. That does sound much more interesting.
>>
The first game had some great moments where everything actually got calm, usually when the full moon was visible and you could walk on walls.
I always really enjoyed these slower pace moments because they made the faster pace ones even more exciting, and 2 is way more focused on just being fast all the time.

I'm still not sure which one I prefer but no one can deny that these games are incredible.
>>
>>321292036
Short hair sucks.
>>
Does anyone know what exactly bayo chants during her summons? I can never figure them out.
>>
>>321297778
http://bayonetta.wikia.com/wiki/Enochian#Incantations
>>
>>321297864
Thanks, I tried looking around the internet before. I don't know how I never found that page.
>>
File: 1412492535918.jpg (129 KB, 797x450) Image search: [Google]
1412492535918.jpg
129 KB, 797x450
Fly me to the moon was the best. I don't even know what the "iconic" theme for the second game was.
>>
>>321298030
It was supposed to be Moon River, but Tomorrow is Mine was better.
>>
>>321298030
It's from Breakfast at Tiffany's
>>
>>321298030
Nothing iconic, but Bayonetta 2 isn't devoid of good music.
>>
>>321297432
NG has better visuals than Bayo or DMC. And if you're not listening to your own music you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>321298030
Moon River and Tomorrow is Mine were both the themes for Bayo 2 iirc and neither played as often they should've been imo

Also they were both better than Fly Me to the Moon
>>
>>321298408
>both better than fly me to the moon
nah
>>
>>321298448
Ya
>>
>>321298408
Tomorrow is Mine played during every battle what are you talking about
>>
>>321298745
OH fuck is it?

Damn I need to play it again, I don't even remember that.

Moon River only played during the Prologue chapter on the Jet iirc
>>
>>321295957
The Infinite Climax mode in Bayo2 retains Witch Time, making it incredibly less difficult than Bayo1's. Or so I hear.
>>
File: Bayokuroda.png (283 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Bayokuroda.png
283 KB, 400x400
>>321292930
Am I the only one who, incorrect proportions aside, finds the Smashified face of Bayonetta to be somewhat "off"?

There is something incredibly apparent yet subtle, that differentiates her face from her own games to the new one in smash. And it's bothering me to no end.
>>
File: 1430053752942.jpg (76 KB, 500x464) Image search: [Google]
1430053752942.jpg
76 KB, 500x464
How do you git gud at Bayo?
>>
>>321298871
Didn't get far enough to get that, but playing as Jeanne makes Witch Time harder to activate. It's surprisingly precise.
>>
>>321294417
>>321293824
That's probably because a good portion of Bayo 2's soundtrack is from Bayo 1.
>>
>>321296856
I completely disagree. The first game had these obvious glaring flaws for no reason, and all of those got fixed. It had way too many gimmick sections that weren't fun or well thought out, insta-kill QTEs, incredibly boring puzzle sections, and the most inane alfheim placement possible which killed the pacing if you didn't want a stone award at the end of every chapter. The pacing is the big improvement in Bayo 2. There's so much more combat, and the gimmicks are short and sweet, which do the job of building variety without getting in the way of the stuff you actually want to do. If I want to replay Lumen Sage 3, going through the Climax Horse section is a lot less painful than going through the motorcycle level to fight Jeanne again.

Also I prefer the weapons in 2. It has some problems and I wish it included the old ones like Oedetta, and the sprayer thing was far worse than Durga, but it was a lot more varied and had more interesting feet weapon overall. Chain chomp is probably favorite weapon in either of the games.

>>321298871
That's one of the weird things about Bayonetta 2, it's basically missing NSIC. Infinite Climax is more like hard mode than the super hard mode Platinum usually puts intot heir games.
>>
>>321298289
NG is a great game, but I feel almost no investment in it because everything besides the gameplay is so bland and generic.
>>
>>321299103
Yea, I feel like it's a bit off compared to her in her games.

>>321299107
>watch Daedron12
>wish you were that good
>????
>cry
https://www.youtube.com/user/Daedron12

For real though, all I can say is practice, learn combos, and learn to read enemies and learn the audio and visual cues for their attacks.
>>
>>321298871
It's not that witch time in infinite climax makes it easier. It's that in Bayo 1 witch time was treated as less of a necessity. Once you reach non-stop infinite climax the training wheels come off and you learn to deal with scenarios without depending on witch time as a crutch.

Bayo 2 just sticks with the idea that witch time is the game's trademark, usually to the detriment of the combat. Enemies aren't balanced around the idea that witch time should be non-essential. Instead they make the harder enemies like the lumen sage and sloth dodging and combo-breaking machines that can only be dealt with by baiting witch time, and capitalizing on those extremely small windows of time to get attacks in.
>>
>>321299505
Yeah, where did they get the idea that witch time is the trademark anyways? That and umbral climax. I remember thinking magic was just some niche addition to Bayonetta 1 to use accessories that ended up breaking the game, and now magic and witch time are absolutely necessary to beat the game, or else you don't have the ability to land hits on bosses.

Not to turn this into a Smash thread, but I distinctly remember them saying that witch time was Bayonetta's trademark ability, and her gameplay design is based on the idea that she has to land witch time before she's able to knock out people out of the map with her slow-but-hard-hitting abilities. Platinum clearly believes that witch time is the best thing people got from the first game, and so I guess they decided to expound on the first game's biggest crutch move. Maybe that's part of the reason why I felt underwhelmed by the sequel.
>>
>>321299505
I prefer the witch time stuff being there. The best thing about Bayonetta in comparison to other action games for me was always how good dodging feels.
>>
It felt like the later parts of the game was rushed yeah. I was also hoping I would play Loki for more than 5 seconds. Makes me wonder why they put it in at all.
>>
I've been waiting a long time to pick up Bayo on Wii U as I have never played either game. GameStop is doing a b2g1 free on pre owned games and I figured I'd get Bayo as one of them. Ultimately, is it worth getting at this point (I've enjoyed Platinum's other games especially W101) and how much should I get it for at the most?
>>
OP where the fuck did you even buy it from?

I can't find a place for under 80$.
>>
>>321300838
I said earlier I bought it on the Wii U Eshop for $50.

I don't know if you have poorish internet or you prefer having the box, but I don't think you're going to find anywhere cheaper. Sorry.
>>
>>321300603

Yeah, while I think making WT a necessity was pretty bad in the second game (way too many tedious bait, dodge, attack, repeat enemies), I will say that it's super satisfying every single time.
>>
File: 1450894296132.png (285 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1450894296132.png
285 KB, 720x720
>>321300838

>mfw bought Bayo 1 + 2 together for under £25
>>
>>321294887
>>321300838
>>321295157

Is it actually rare? I see it in local stores all the time.
>>
>A thread with civil discussion and minimal shitposting
This is a really nice change of pace
>>
>>321300350
>Yeah, where did they get the idea that witch time is the trademark anyways? That and umbral climax. I remember thinking magic was just some niche addition to Bayonetta 1 to use accessories that ended up breaking the game, and now magic and witch time are absolutely necessary to beat the game, or else you don't have the ability to land hits on bosses.
But magic was pretty important in 1. There was a lot of meter management if you knew what you were doing.

In 2 it was really dumbed down.
>>
>>321300756
Just buy it. It's great. You get two amazing action games.
>>
I dunno, man, I had a lot of fun with it. The first one was filled with insta-death QTE, retarded puzzles and shitty minigames. The second one took that all away and it's much better.

The final boss of 2 is super disappointing tho
>>
Many people complained about most bosses being fuck huge and too easy in the first game, with Jeanne being the coolest. So they made most boss fights in the second game be more like hers.

I don't mind the change, the boss fights in the first game are only cool your first run, and then you get sick of them. The problem is that they made witch time a mandatory mechanic in those fights instead of being a reward for dodging well. They even kept witch time for NSIC mode because of this.

I think both games are equally flawed, Bayo 1 has a bit better combat Balance all around though.
>>
File: what is this captcha.png (160 KB, 402x594) Image search: [Google]
what is this captcha.png
160 KB, 402x594
>>321301348
Was there? I honestly don't remember it very well. Would you be able to jog my memory and remind me what sort of uses magic had? I really just remember the accessories draining magic to give you really strong abilities (IE the butterflies that made you immune to damage)
>>
>>321301468
I see people saying this a lot, and this is exactly the comment I wanted to see and respond to.

What was it that you didn't like about the final boss? I saw so many people say the exact same thing when the game first came out, and I had my expectations set super low, but I thought it was a pretty cool fight when I finally did it last night. It wasn't the greatest fight in ever, by no means, but I wasn't disappointed at all by it.

Was it just that Loptr is a kindof "literally who" villain or was it just the design wasn't as good as Jubileus?
>>
>>321296708

>CAG

I wish death upon your family and I hope someone overcooks the meat for your christmas meal
>>
>>321301548
Magic was used for Tatsuzanko and Witch Heel/Heel Stomp, aka back-to-forward P and K respectively, which were a necessity for higher-level play, as they were Wicked Weave attacks that expended like one point of magic each that did a lot of damage, homed in on the enemy no matter their position, staggered enemies, and contributed positively to your score so long as you did not overuse them. In fact, they were a pretty big part of the combat in Bayo 1.

Meanwhile in 2, all that shit is gone since saving your meter for Umbran Climax is so much better. There goes your meter management and your options. "Do I do a Tatsuzanko or Witch Heel/Heel Stomp now or save my meter for a Torture Attack against one of the harder enemies?"

At least in 2 you still have the Bracelet of Time to use your magic with.
>>
>>321301695

I thought it was too short and unspectacular. I don't have a problem with Loptr as villain.
>>
>>321301695

I think it's personally because it lacks the absurd spectacle of Jubileus' fight. It's crazy as shit.

That said, I really liked the Loptr fight. It was fun and decently challenging. Just wasn't batshit insane like the first game's finale, so it wasn't as memorable. I honestly doubt there will ever be a game in this genre that can top how stupidly over the top that was.
>>
Is there a way to play Bayo 1/2 without witch time? Excluding Jeanne and non-stop climax
>>
>>321302219
>I honestly doubt there will ever be a game in this genre that can top how stupidly over the top that was.
W101's came pretty damn close, to be honest. Rivaled it, at least.

>SAVE THE EARTH
>>
>>321296708
Not only do you use the cancerous "character action game" term but you go and say "who would play a CAG for the CHARACTER?"

Retarded and cancerous.
>>
>>321302281
USe the evil harvest rosary
>>
>>321301991
Ok. Clearly I didn't get involved enough into high level play to really appreciate the magic system. Thanks.

>>321302219
>>321302109
That's fair. I definitely remember being caught off guard by how short the fight was and how it didn't vary a ton like the Jubileus fight. I still thought it was cool hanging out with Balder and fighting god, and then posing with him to summon Jubileus/Queen Sheba to kick god into Jeanne on a jet (although not as cool as punching god into the sun).
>>
>>321302414
Why did everyone stop using hack'n'slash anyway? I get that it's not a very good name but it's better than fucking character action, what the fuck does that even mean? That it's an action game and you control a character?
>>
>>321302579
I think people stopped using hack'n'slash because you're doing more than just button mashing
>>
>>321302579
Hack n' slash is a game like DW where the point is to kill as many weaklings as you can.
Games like DMC and Bayonetta are more focused on style points and combos.

Kinda like the difference between an arena shooter and Halo
>>
>>321302579

My friends and I use the term "3D Beat 'Em Up." Character Action Game sounds fucking stupid, it's way too vague.
>>
>>321302281
Either attach bracelet of time or rosary beads.

Downside to bracelet of time in Bayo 1 is you can't taunt. Downside in Bayo 2 is you don't have umbran climax.

Downside to rosary beads is they can ruin your combo score and kill enemies way too fast.
>>
>>321302503
>Ok. Clearly I didn't get involved enough into high level play to really appreciate the magic system. Thanks.
Yeah, you could do some really creative stuff with them in combos too, due to the way they worked on the enemies and some exploits, like knocking an enemy into the air, then Heel Stomping them down to continue combing them from the ground.
>>
>>321302579
I wouldn't know where it started, but Totalasscancer sure popularized it.
>>
>>321302579
I thought hack n' slash were games like Gauntlet or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
>>
>>321302579

IIRC hack'n'slash originated from action rpgs like Diablo so it wasn't the right term to begin with.

Beat'em up is more appropriate.
>>
File: tumblr_n3zy6igynD1qza1qzo1_400.gif (876 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3zy6igynD1qza1qzo1_400.gif
876 KB, 400x400
>>321302579
I just use beat-em-up. It's not like the character using a bladed weapon magically changes the genre.
>>
>>321302579
I feel like 'Cuhraazy Action Game' perfectly describes the genre. Stuff like juggle combos, animation cancelling and rewarding perfect dodges/parries/guards fit under it, and some games can be less or more 'Cuhraazy' than some others.
>>
>>321303465
Same.

I can relate to the people who think that the name cuhrayzee is stupid, but it fits really well.
>>
>>321298030
Tomorrow is Mine > Moon River > Fly Me To The Moon (original) > Mysterious > Fly Me To The Moon (remix)
>>
>>321299107
Watch the guide of how to get pure platinums, and learn Dodge Offset.
>>
>>321302579
>>321302414
>>321301825
Character action game has been in use since 2012 and was actually popularized by /v/.
The only reason why you newfags are unfamiliar with it is because all CUHRAZY discussion has long been consolidated to /vg/.

Also stop getting butthurt over words.
There is nothing wrong with the term "character action game".
>>
>>321301183
I have no idea. I've found the games a few times for the standard price in a several vidya stores.

But I remember reading that the game was rare at release; and who knows, maybe the Smash hype is giving a justification for faggots to scalp the game.
>>
Why is it so fucking expensive/hard to find in the US now
>>
>>321304770

A character action game means you're playing an action game with a character in it

congrats, Uncharted is now a CAG

dumbass
>>
>>321297443
The OVA did wonders for Balder & Cereza (both of them), but that animation I can't get over

Enzo was also really cool in it too, moreso than he is in both games actually.
>>
>>321304805
When she was announced for Smash, the game started selling wildly. Smash fans bought them all now.
>>
>>321303260
>>321303027
>>321302796
>Beat em up
>Being in charge of the asshat club

Beat em ups include games like River City Random and Anarchy Regins, you dunces.
>>
>>321304805
The announcement of Bayo in smash may have increased the price temporarily. That sort of happens. Right after they announced Shenmue 3, people were selling copies of 2 for like $100 when I had gotten mine a few months earlier for $10. Give it time, it might go back to normal or maybe you'll just get fucked even harder
>>
>>321304770
And hack'n'slasher or 3D beat'em up was used way before, you actual newfag.

And the problem is not that it's a retarded term -popularized by the fag that is TB, not /v/- but that he used a term that implies the character is the main attraction yet "it's silly to be interested in the character".

Reading comprehension, CAGfag.
>>
>>321304978
Incorrect, once again you prove yourself a newfag.
It's not a term meant to be taken at face value, but you wouldn't know that now would you?
Fuckin newfags.
>>
File: Entitlement Man.png (5 KB, 182x143) Image search: [Google]
Entitlement Man.png
5 KB, 182x143
>>321305087
>>
>>321304978
Yeah, just like every sandbox game is literally a box of sand
Are you retarded?
>>
>>321304805
This is like the third time I've said it and I haven't gotten a response

Just buy it on the Wii U Eshop. It's $50. I don't know if people read this and are like "Man, OP is a retard buying digital copies" or what, but it's legit the cheapest version you're likely to find this holiday.
>>
>>321305092
>popularized by TB
oh boy, yeah. You are a newfag.
Please go share your stupid opinions elsewhere. I bet you get mad at old memes as well.
>>
>Bayo 2 actually has worse bosses than the QTE shit in Bayo 1
I seriously hope this isn't true, only the Jeanne fights were good
>>
>>321304805
Should have preordered.
:^)
>>
File: 1433059793641.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1433059793641.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>321305174
>>
>>321293784
>Sigma 2
Ouch
Do yourself a favor and get Sigma 1, it's dirt cheap at least up here
>>
>>321305001

Yes, and? You don't need to detail every single mechanic to categorize a game's genre. Hell, in Japan Mario (and likewise other platformers) is categorized as "Action".
>>
>>321305249
Yeah, I'd rather just wait for a physical copy. I assume the digital version doesn't come with Bayonetta 1 either.
>>
>>321292036
I think it was better than the first in almost every way
>>
>>321305210

Sandbox refers to a mechanic

character action doesn't refer to anything. It's such a vague term that you can apply it to whatever you want

>It's a character action game, that means it's an action game centralized around a single character

look at that, you described every non-RTS game

>but n-no, I meant games that are styish like Devil may cry

well look at that, Killer is Dead applies

>b-but no depth

That wasn't in the original description, you may as well call it DMC-like if you're going to whittle it down to whatever preference you wish
>>
File: You be Koko Loco.png (380 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
You be Koko Loco.png
380 KB, 1280x720
>>321305303
nigga plz. my reaction folder probably outshines your porn collection.
>>
>>321294417
Time for the Climax and Let's Dance Boys (2nd Climax) aren't all too bad desu
>>
>>321305260
>he thinks people use that term because of /v/ and not because of TB
You really ARE stupid.

>stupidopinions
But I'm not the one who believes /v/ made something popular or that CAG is a decent term, that's your retarded ass.
>>
>>321305478
post screencap
>>
>>321305376
Why do you think the term "character action game" was made?
It was made during a time we needed something to refer specifically to games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden.
CUHRAZY was popular, but too informal.
>>
>>321305531
Outside of /v/? Sure. But you wouldn't know that, would you?
Newfag
>>
As someone who listened to a lot of the boss tracks before the English release, I totally disagree with people's thoughts on Bayo 2 having an unmemorable soundtrack.
Glamour has one of my favorite boss tracks in the series just under Sapientia, and using the One Of A Kind leitmotif for Beyond Time and Aesir blew my mind the first time I did their fights.
Speaking of One Of A Kind, I also kind of preferred The Legend Of Aesir as a big epic opening track.
>>
>>321304805

Should have ordered it when it came out faget, i don't have a wii u and i still ordered it
>>
>>321305289
The Bayo 2 bosses were technically better but ruined by making witch time mandatory to even hit them.
>>
>>321305531
Do you even know why the term was made?
Do you even know how TB learned of the term in the first place?
Do you even remember the controversy that started it all?
>>
>>321305460
>Killer is Dead
Is a character action game, though as you say it doesn't have much depth.
>>
>>321292036
Its objectively inferior to Bayo 1. Its not bad but it brings nothing new to the table and the visuals are worse. Though I blame the Wii U for that more then the game itself.
>>
>>321305460
Going by your logic, why don't they call it Open-world games instead then.
Sandbox makes no sense, again going by your logic, because you're not playing in either a literal or metaphorical sandbox.
>>
>>321305857
I've listened to a bunch of the songs and I don't know why, but I feel as though the angel/demon boss themes come off as very generic "epic" soundtracks, with chants and string instruments going at it.

There's a few exceptions that felt a lot like the original soundtracks, in particular the Lumen Sage songs, but a bunch of the new songs just felt kinda generic.

I totally agree that The Legend of Aesir is phenomenal though, and I actually think I like it more than One of a Kind.
>>
>>321295157
Amazon had a lightning deal shortly after she was announced for Smash

got it for £8
>>
>>321305631

There's so few games in that "genre" that it easier to just name them than to make up sub genres.

Not to mention that in the cuhrazy games they never managed to estabilish what made a game "cuhrazy" and anyone could come in and pitch whatever they liked as a subject, ending up with stuff like Vanquish and Shinobi PS2 being accepted just because.
>>
>>321306172
Er, replace string with horns. Not that the strings aren't there, but it's a lot more bombastic horns.
>>
>>321305928
How about sending it to me hmmm
>>
>>321306214
Don't try to change topics.
Just say straight out that you don't know why people came up with the term in the first place and fuck off.
You've literally no reason to get mad at people for using it.
>>
>>321292036
The optional trials in Bayo 1 were fucking tedious. The ones in 2 were more fun.
>>
>>321305395
I think bayo 2 is $50 on the eshop and then when you go to buy bayo 1, it's discounted so you only pay $10
>>
>>321301695
I liked Aesir as a fight, but I can agree that the presentation lacked one final extra OOMPH, especially after Wonderful 101 went and topped Bayo1's climax the year before.
Personally, I wish they had done something crazy with the Omne summon, like letting you control her like a huge 1:1 Bayonetta so you could a one last giant duel with Aesir's final form over Fimbulventr. I think that would've been just the right amount of ridiculous spectacle without falling into Bayo1's problem of Jubelius just not being fun to fight after the first time around.
>>
>>321292036
I'm not as good as /v/, so I had a tough time with bayo 1. Normal was too hard and easy was too easy, at least for a first playthrough. Bayo 2 kicked every ass in existence and if you own a WiiU you have no excuse not to get it.
>>
File: steph eh.jpg (79 KB, 736x791) Image search: [Google]
steph eh.jpg
79 KB, 736x791
What is the Kilgore bug of Bayonetta 2?
>>
>>321305772
>I-I meant inside of v-v, you s-silly goose!!
>I'm not just absolutely retarded for thinking that CAG is only popular because of my board; me the oldfag xD
Wow, you REALLY are retarded.

Come on, call me a newfag, since you already realized how stupid you sound.

>outside of v? Sure
This absolute mongoloid, holy fuck
>you are right, TB made it popular outside of /v/
>BUT /V/ MADE IT POPULAR INSIDE /V/
You realized this is the shit that is coming out of your posts, right? Congratulations on being in /v/ for over 4 years, you made it champ, you win the internet. Next thing you'll tell me /v/ popularized the term "3rd person action hack'n'slasher" because some people posted it in 08.
>>
>>321306356

You are speaking with two or more people, and I'm not the one that was mad at the term "CAG" although I do find it dumb.

I can confirm that I do not know where it originated from, and with you mentioning cuhrazy I thought it was from cgg in /vg/ where, as I mentioned, they cannot (or couldn't? Haven't been there in years) even estabilish a standard for their made up sub genre.
>>
File: 1441651472719.gif (1000 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1441651472719.gif
1000 KB, 500x300
>>321293223
Gameplay wise, bayo 2 was better, except for the part that wicked weaves dont have as much impact as before, which I gladly take in exchange of no more enemies on fire
But I swear to god if I hear SORRY LUHV one more fucking time I'll find Kamiya and skin his bald fucking head
Loki REALLY dragged down the story in 2, where in 1 was bayonetta going ham, 2 has weak banter and nigger kid having headaches.
Young balder brings some shit too, but he gives something in exchange for the daddy issues, that is several bayo and balder fights and cutscenes
And the final fight could have been something more than a smurf in a poncho
>>
>>321306584
Maybe Just Releasing Salamandra, although that was intentional.
>>
>>321305970
It doesn't matter where he got the stupid term from, HE made it as big as it is, not some random retards on /v/
>>
>>321301183
Not rare, just scalpers doing his shit because Smash hype.
>>
>>321306172
>tfw the closest thing to a new Red & Black was Alraune's theme song

It was good, but it didn't really get the blood pumping.
>>
File: Brett High.png (130 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Brett High.png
130 KB, 1000x1000
I'm gonna be the neutral guy here and say that while the term "character action game" is a bit nonsensical, it was totally necessary at the time of its origin.
I mean seriously, did the creation of /vg/ really split the board that badly? Yes it did.
Does no one here even remember the shitstorm surrounding "DmC:Devil May Cry" anymore? The huge fucking movement that got everyone who was ever a fan of the DMC titles involved? Yes that includes outside of /v/.

I'd like to think that something that big would be something you don't forget.
But whatever, I've been on this board too fucking long.
>>
>>321306656
TB popularizing doesn't negate the fact it was the origin of its use is from /v/.
You newfag
>>
>>321306584
Alruna slams + BoT
>>
>>321306584
In terms of doing massive damage with no real penalty: using quick bursts of the Bangle of Time to grab and throw any enemy, even bosses, with Alruna in the feet slot.
In terms of racking up huge combo multipliers / halo farming: Using the halo multplying bell on the Witch Armor chapter and spamming P-P-P(hold) or X(hold) on all enemies
>>
I loved it. Ninja Gaiden still the best, but that series is dead. Is there anything coming out on current gen like it? That Transformers game got meh reviews and DMC4 doesn't count.
>>
File: 1377846892880.jpg (57 KB, 605x605) Image search: [Google]
1377846892880.jpg
57 KB, 605x605
>>321306383
>mfw trying to pure plat witch trial 5
>>
>>321307169
I heard the Transformers game by Platinum wasn't actually all that bad. Better than their Korra game at least.
>>
>>321306739
I clear it up.
It was made back when DmC was announced and Tameem was being a total pissant to DMC fans in order to centralize said DMC fans.
We couldn't just say that we were all "action game" fans, so we adopted the term "character action game" to refer to titles like DMC and NG, and they stuck.
It was really just another way of bringing all of us together during a time when we (fans of DMC/NG/etc/) were literally being shat on by all sources of media.

Remember "Lol they hate DmC because they changed Dante's hair"?
Yeah
>>
>>321306510
What I really dislike about aesir is how he can simply parry your combos and interrupt your momentum, or simply step back at any given time and use his own wicked weave punch back at you, and as your WW dont have as much priority as in 1, he can just say "fuck it I dont care" and cut your momentum at any given time.
That's without saying, when he decides to be a dickass and spends two minutes dashing half a stage away and taunt, and if youchase him he just dashes and taunts again, even if you throw a remote WW at him
>>
>>321307012
>it was the origin of its use is from /v/.
And where, my oldfag friendo, did I say otherwise? You replied to me saying:
>Character action game has been in use since 2012 and was actually popularized by /v/.
Again, you show your lack of reading comprehension.

I didn't talk nor cared where the term came from, I said it's a retarded way of replacing the already existing "3rd person action beat'em'up/hack'n'slasher" and that it was not made as big as it is because of /v/, which you have realized you were wrong about and now try to change subjects by pointing out something I didn't even bothered bringin up.

Come on, change the subject again, oldfag.
>>
>>321307169
Transformers: Devastation is supposed to be good from what I've heard. I should play it since I'm a huge Platinumfag.

Next year will have Nier: Automata too though.
>>
Bayonetta and Jeanne looked objectively better in 1 than in 2.
>>
>>321307381

I was quite active back then, but I honestly do not remember the term CAG being used. Guess I never paid attention to it.
>>
>>321306814
That's not the subject of our discussion though.
Are you really that dense to believe that the reason why people STILL use the term on /v/ is because of total biscuit? You'd probably be right.
But again, that wasn't the point I was making.
You were being a total douche and acting like the term was total blasphemy because TB uses it, when in fact it originated from the board you are using.
>>
>>321292036
Are you this faggot?

>>321303620
>>
>>321307589
Bayonetta herself looks objectively better in 2 and than 1 and Jeanne looks way better in 2 than in 1, but her look in the first game wasn't bad at all either.
>>
>>321307467
The term doesn't serve to replace the others though.
Because those terms are way too broad in the first place.
At this point you are literally mad because you're an idiot.
>>
>>321306158

you actually are in a metaphorical sandbox, you can do ANYTHING (within the game rules) with no real objective

faglord
>>
Asking /v/ about /cgg/ games is pointless, nobody here plays these games at a high enough level to even understand why Bayonetta 2 is full of bad design decisions, even if it is a solid game.
>>
>Kamemeya style over substance game

Not even once.
>>
>>321307867
You can't do anything though.
So Open-World is more logical.

fagola
>>
>>321307714
_No

I bought a digital copy because I don't care about physical copies

I'm not even in the US right now
>>
>>321307649
>That's not the subject of our discussion though.
It IS the subject of our discussion.

Refer to my post>>321307467 to see what the subject was. I don't care that TB uses the term, I care about it being retarded. I am saying who popularized it, not where it came from.
>>
>>321307953

>You can't do anything

but you can, again, with the game rules.

If you're in a literal sandbox you can't start a multimillion dollar company or fly to space, all you have at your disposal is fucking sand

in a sandbox game you can't rewrite code in real time, but you can still use the tools you have to do whatever you wish at whatever pace you wish without anything stopping you

fagtoria: queen of the fags
>>
>>321307897
Kamiya literally DEFINED 'style-with-substance' games with Devil May Cry 1 and the first Bayonetta game is one of the best types of those games.
>>
>>321307890

How's the post quality there nowadays? Have they stopped discussing what belongs and what doesn't?
>>
>>321292036
Totally Underwhelmed.
Umbra Climax is shit mechanic.
Script is terrible. Awful pacing without good crescendos and a lame finale to boot.
Game only has one unlockable difficulty.
Game pissed off the style community by cock-blocking air combos.

Tag Climax is really cool though.
Greatly prefer the first game overall.
Wonderful 101 was EVERYTHING that bayo 2 failed to be.

Kenji Saito made better game with Transformers Devastation. And he's gonna strike again with Nier.
>>
>>321308080
Read your own posts faggot
>>321305092

Also I'd like to point out the idiocy in stating "the problem isn't that TB uses the term, but that he uses the term",
>>
>>321307842
>The term doesn't serve to replace the others though.
>Because those terms are way too broad in the first place.
Way too broad? Are you serious? How is "3rd person action beat'em'up/hack'n'slasher" broad?

>At this point you are literally mad because you're an idiot.
The only idiot here is the one having to change subjects.
>>
>>321308275
In summary
HASHIMOTO, NO!
>>
>>321308258

no, it's a mix of people discussing and 2-3 faggots pushing some game nobody cares about and finding the entire situation absolutely HILARIOUS when nobody gives a shit about them and are in fact annoyed by them derailing the thread on a near daily basis.

Man, I sure love obscure korean MMOs nobody else can play, I sure hope someone brings it up for the 50th time, that won't get old at all

and then Paincloud and Stopsign still post there, it's a lost cause
>>
>>321308258
No that's pretty much a staple of the thread unfortunately, they get baited too easily by people talking about Yaiba, DmC etc. When there's actual discussion and people helping each other it's obviously coming from knowledgeable players but most of the time it's either dead or shit.
>>
As a casual to this type of game I enjoyed Bayonetta 2 a lot more than the first one.
First game had too many repeat fights (didnt it make you fight temperantia like 9 times or something?), dumb QTEs, the weapons weren't as interesting, and no multiplayer. Also it had a gross piss filter.

I don't know anything about how deep these games can get so I can't really compare the two in that way but I don't really see why anyone would say the first game was better.
>>
>>321308094
>but you can, again, with the game rules.
So it's not a literal or metaphorical sandbox then. Garry's mod is literally on one of the few games that could be truly called a sandbox title.

The fact you are restricted by the game's rules just reinforces the idea it should be labeled "Open-world" instead. Because you are restricted to the rules of the created world, yet free to explore it as is capable.
>>
No.
>>
>>321308330
See how you didn't even bothered reading the conversation?

>TB uses the term, but that he doesn't use it
I said that I don't care TB uses the term, but that the anon at the beginning of the thread>>321296708
literally said that "why would you play a Character Action game for the character?", but I didn't expect someone in /v/ to actually read what I posted.
>>
>>321308339
Again, that would include titles like Anarchy Reigns and Dead Rising.
Both of which are nothing like DMC or Bayonetta.
>>
>>321308559
>First game had too many repeat fights (didnt it make you fight temperantia like 9 times or something?)
Thing is, Bayonetta 1 did what action games SHOULD do and makes every fight with a recycled boss completely different in some way. You're never going to fight any of the huge bosses the same way twice.

And no, you don't fight Temperantia 9 times, it's more like technically once, then you fight the clone boss like 2-3 times after that. Same with the others, I think, aside from Fortitudo, who you fight twice before you finally get to fight him.
>>
>>321308162

The problem with Kamiya is that he's too influenced by his personal taste.

The influence that God of War and similiar games have on what he directs isn't positive, same as his nostalgia trips that lead to tedious minigames.

In any case Bayonetta is based more on what came after (DMC3,NG,GoW) than the basic structure that the first DMC introduced.
>>
>>321306016
>the visuals are worse
The visuals of Bayo 2 are far superior even than even the 360 version of Bayo 1.
>>
>>321308573

Garry's mod is still restricted by the code, are you stupid?

you can't do "anything" in that game, you still need people to either mod or script shit in, and even then, you're still missing the ability to do "anything" you wish.

Can you start a family in Garry's mod? Can you watch the mating habits of snails? can you fold proteins and solve cancer? Can you import two armies from Rome: Total War and watch them fight on your server? The obvious answer is no, because it's a fucking video game, and video games by nature are limited

holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>321305289
Not true, they're just different, both have good things and bad things.
>>
>>321308902
So we both agree then that "sandbox" is a stupid title and doesn't apply to any games whatsoever then.
Because that's literally what you just assured.
>>
>>321308783
That's just /churazy/ levels of silliness.

Yes, Dead Rising is not like DMC3, but Street Fighter is not like Tekken yet we call them fighting games, just that one of them is deeper than the other.

And Anarchy Reigns gets shit on for no reason at all.
>>
>>321306747
Yeah, I was waiting through all the story to see if he did something that made me care for him, but that never happened.

Storywise, the ending just left me thinking "huh, that's it?"
>>
>>321308783
Does AR have some actual tech that puts it in the same category as DMC?

>>321308559
>the weapons weren't as interesting
Kek, my ASS. The weapons in the first game were way more interesting. The 'replacement' weapons in 2 were generally inferior to the originals.

The original did have a lot of weapons with repeated movesets though, which a lot of people complained about, so they tried to have more weapons with original movesets, but then screwed the pooch by giving a lot of the new weapons period either boring movesets or making their damage very weak.
>>
>>321306747
>SORRY LUHV
MUMMY
>>
>>321308783

AR had combos, juggling and "style" in a general sense.

What did it lack in order to qualify? More combo variety and system depth, or just a scoring system?
>>
Slightly off topic.

What other games should I buy for the Wii U?

So far on my list of things-to-buy, I've got Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X, Monster Hunter, and Sm4sh. Any weeb games I missed out on that are worth picking up?
>>
>>321308676
In that case you are either the faggot who wrote:
>I wish death upon your family and I hope someone overcooks the meat for your christmas meal
in response to someone using the term "CAG"

or the newfag who wrote
>Not only do you use the cancerous "character action game" term
because only a person unfamiliar with the term would refer to it as cancerous.

The reason I say you're either of those two, is because of the bunch, those are the only comments I had responded to.
So either way you're a total asshole, who has an irrational hatred for a term.
Literally you are mad at words.
>>
>that anti-climactic final boss
>SORRY LOVE
>mandatory witch time for boss fights
>flying battles are the new giant battles
>Chick Venerra didn't return to voice Enzo
>no Santa Rodin outfit
Jeanne > Lumen Sage
1 OST > 2 OST
1 weapons < 2 weapons
>>321309328
Tropical Freeze, 3D World, get Pandora's Tower on the eShop.
>>
The bosses in the first game were shit except jeanne from a gameplay perspective, they were just big setpieces for you to beat up on. The second game still has some of them but it gave more "rival" type fights which is good, especially the final boss being a humanoid type fight instead of gimmick flight like jubileus where half of it is just platforming.
>>
>>321306925
I'm just glad that the DmC shitstorm is over, and the threads trying to bring it back die quickly.

And a term to differentiate the games from stuff like Final Fight or Dynasty Warriors was and is still necessary.
I prefer Cuhrayzee, but I'm fine if people use character action game as long as they know what they're talking about.
>>
>>321309216
All of the things you stated actually.

>>321309109
Only because Sega never let Platinum patch it after release.
>>
>>321309475
>Final Fight

2D Beat'em'up / side scrolling beat'em'up/action/whatever

>Dynasty Warriors

Musou. The genre is in the name itself.
>>
>>321309084

The metaphor works, you cannot do the same thing in a literal sandbox, you can only do whatever you want with the tools given to you, which is the precise reasoning given behind the "Sandbox" title

you've gone full retard on such a simplistic subject that I'm not even sure how you're typing in a coherent sentence structure right now. I hope you have fun putting on your pants
>>
>>321307169
Not that I know of.

I heard that they anounced a new Onechanbara, but the series is barely beginning to get polish, and there are two indies in the making.
>>
>>321308835
I only agree with the notion that the minigames in Bayo 1 and W101 were kinda bad, mosty.

I don't like that he likes GoW, but I do like the influence that game had on Bayonetta. Some of the QTEs aside, Bayonetta managed to fill a niche that so many games tried to do, by having gargantuan, big, epic GoW-style bosses, but with a combat system that were actually deep, fluid, and highly technical, essentially combining visual splendor with depth. That's what I like about Bayonetta, it's insane and over-the-top in a way that DMC and NG aren't and can never be, b/c their combat systems don't allow for those kinds of boss fights.

Honestly I feel like Bayonetta is kind of a natural evolution of Kamiya's games and the CUHRAYZEE genre as a whole anyway, since DMC3 and NG did kinda make some improvements over DMC1's gameplay anyhow. I feel like the more combo-oriented gameplay in DMC3 was just naturally more fun than DMC1's slower, more weakness-exploiting gameplay. As a sidenote, I LIKE that Bayonetta kinda takes a lot from all of those things and yet still feels unique and original by itself.

And if you want something like that, just try out W101, since it's practically a compromise between DMC1-style combat and later, more combo-oriented games like DMC3/4 and Bayonetta.
>>
>>321309389
>because only a person unfamiliar with the term would refer to it as cancerous.
Only a newfag would refer to a term as "cancerous"? That's a new level of stupid there.

If the term is a fabricated jerk-off with no reason to exist when there's already terms that were there, it's cancerous.

>Literally you are mad at words.
No, I'm mad at a guy saying that there's no reason to play a "character action game" for the character, just like I would be mad if someone said there's no reason in playing a "fire-arms action game" for the fire-ams. If you are going to use stupid terms, at least make sense of what you are actually saying.
>>
>>321307589
Bayo in 1 and Jeane in 2.

That is the only correct opinion.
>>
>>321309475
I prefer CUHRAYZEE too
but /v/ has gotten way too fucking uptight about everything.

I remember not to long ago, Cuhrayzee getting the same treatment that "CAG" is getting in this thread.
>>
>>321309571

And yet you have people like >>321305980 that consider games like KiD part of the category.

I personally haven't played it, but knowing GhM's output I sincerely doubt than any of their games could have any more depth than AR.
>>
>>321309649
No, I'm just using your own logic to call you a retard.
Because even with your flimsy justifications, Open-world is still more of an applicable term.
>>
>>321309780

because it's just as stupid a term, unlike CAG I see "why" it exists, but that doesn't make it any less stupid, at its core its just a random assortment of games that people tend to play in tandem
>>
>>321309165
Cereza was cute and nowhere as recurrent and intrusive as Loki
>>
>>321309870
So you are saying that everyone on /v/ should bend over in the face of your oh-so mature and logical values?
That you aren't just being an uptight sour-puss who gets mad at people using words?
Ok buddy.
>>
>>321309832
Anarchy Reigns isn't character centric and is more of an arena fighter than character action.
>>
>>321309732
Literally mad at words.
Please, for the sake of you and your family, chill the fuck out and stop getting mad at words.
That's several tiers worse than getting mad at video games.
>>
I liked the FEEL of fighting more in the second game, but there was more to 1's combat when you weren't facing shit tier enemies.
>>
>>321310056

No I'm saying it's a vague term that doesn't even describe a genre, and thanks to its existence people are describing an ideology that doesn't exist which has helped to destroy a community and subjugate action games to enjoying actual style over substance instead of style through substance and faggots like you aren't helping the situation
>>
>>321309687

But Bayonetta's giant bosses are a bland "hit the red glowing part" that do not require any kind of technicality, other than standard reactions to avoid being hit.

As for W101, I did play it, but the little enjoyment I had with it was ruined by the amount of gimmicky/minigame sections, and none of the bosses was interesting (outside of the first Punch Out one).
>>
>>321309870
>WHY ISN'T EVERYONE ON /V/ EXACTLY LIKE ME?
>WHHYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>321310239
Wow, can you even read right now? Did my post come out blank or did you just autoreply regardless?
>>
>>321310269
We're back at square 1.
It isn't and never was supposed to be a genre descriptor.
Have you ever heard of the term colloquialism? You should familiarize yourself with it.
>>
>>321305857
The Legend Of Aesir my nigga
>>
>>321310085

Does "charater centric" mean that the game has to follow the story of a specific character? Because that doesn't make much sense.

As for being arena based, 1vs1 fights with no items were present too.
>>
Fuck you white faggots, I like both equally.
>>
You guys should go back and play them again because your memory is playing tricks on you. BAYONETTA 2 is leagues ahead.
>>
>>321310401
No I read it fully.
I'm not the one with the deep-seeded grudge with long used terminology here.
That's you in case I was being too subtle.
>>
>>321310517
>BAYONETTA 2 is leagues ahead.
From a mechanical, design and difficulty perspective it's really not. But apparently no matter how many times people bring up the issues Bayo 2 has people just ignore them in favour of "Bayo 2 was more fun" (which is absolutely fine, I guess)
>>
>>321310453

I didn't say it described nor did I intend to even construe it to be a genre, I'm saying because of its frequent usage it's being mistaken for a genre by idiots,

and it's cringey as fuck
>>
File: Filia awakened by stupidity.png (171 KB, 759x465) Image search: [Google]
Filia awakened by stupidity.png
171 KB, 759x465
>>321310401
As a 3rd party, I have to say that while your arguments are contextually sound, all it really sums up to is you being mad people are using terms that you don't like.
>>
>>321310728
>No I'm saying it's a vague term that doesn't even describe a genre
>>
>>321310617
No, you didn't read, because you still think my problem was with term, not with an anon saying something stupid.

Let me guess, you think playing fighting games for the fighters is stupid.
>>
>>321292036
The problem was that bayo 1 was already so crazy that its impossible to top. You can't possibly top fighting a goddess in space and breaking her apart in the sun or fighting on top of a giant ass missile.
>>
>>321309328
Get Dong Freeze inmediately, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon; and maybe the RE Revelation games if they pick your interest.

As for weebgames you could just wait for kowashitai.
>>
>>321310878

Where in that does it say "Cuhrayzee is a genre", all I see if that post saying it doesn't describe a genre

which it doesn't. you can go through this entire chain and look anywhere that its implied it is a genre. I know you're trying very hard to find anything silly in my post but you're going to have try a bit harder
>>
>>321310304
>But Bayonetta's giant bosses are a bland "hit the red glowing part" that do not require any kind of technicality, other than standard reactions to avoid being hit.
Not really. I mean, what the hell do you want? Bayo's bosses were fantastic displays of spectacle that also demanded a lot of skill from the player. Getting Platinums on every boss fight, even on Normal, is genuinely hard.

On a side-note, I forgot to mention this, you actually CAN see the influence DMC1 had on Bayonetta. It's really not THAT far off from that game. You can see in the first DMC how Kamiya always had an interest in setpieces, scripted sequences, build up between boss fights, etc. Even the changes in gameplay. Bayo 1 is incredibly referential to DMC1, even.

>As for W101, I did play it, but the little enjoyment I had with it was ruined by the amount of gimmicky/minigame sections,
>and none of the bosses was interesting (outside of the first Punch Out one).
My ass, that game's boss fights were just as incredible as Bayonetta's and definitely better than Bayo 2's. I will always remember Operation 001-C as being one of my favorite first bosses ever. It's so damn good.
>>
>>321309913
God no
>>
>>321310901
The first part of your comment was calling the term itself "cancerous', reaffirming your intense distaste with it.
Logically everything else you've spewed thus far has been fueled by said negative emotions.
>>
>>321310938
I completely forgot about Splatoon. I'll definitely grab that.

I've never played a DK game before. They're platformers like Mario, right? I didn't really care for DK's aesthetics, and I don't have any nostalgia for it having never played it as a kid. Is it really worth my time?

And already planned on picking kowashitai up whenever that comes out.
>>
File: freeze.jpg (32 KB, 706x536) Image search: [Google]
freeze.jpg
32 KB, 706x536
>>321310938
>Dong Freeze
>Dong Freeze was on sale on Black Friday at Toys R Us
>Tfw you live in a redneck town which is Cawadoody central and they didn't even carry Dong Freeze
>>
File: d__arc_by_tomblover-d49cwaj.png (586 KB, 762x903) Image search: [Google]
d__arc_by_tomblover-d49cwaj.png
586 KB, 762x903
I prefer short-hair Jeanne.
>>
Tomorrow is mine and Moon River are amazing
>>
>>321311083
Yes, I have a distaste for the term, but you keep claiming that's my problem and not the fact that the anon said a complete incoherence.

But then again, you'll say I have a problem with the term and that that's why I posted, disregarding what I've been saying for several posts. There, you don't even have to post.
>>
>>321310996
CAG and CUHRAYZEE literally only refer to a handful of titles.
The library is not nearly vast enough to be worthy of a genre title.
Hence the incredibly informal colloquialism.

Look, it's like how some people call a cunt, a "box". It doesn't really make sense since a pussy doesn't remind any of a box in any way, but people still use the term regardless.
It is silly? Yeah.
But it doesn't effect you and the people THOSE people are talking to, understand what they are talking about, so it doesn't matter to anyone.
>>
>>321311332
read
>>321310758
>>321311420
>>
>>321311194
>dat face
>dat hair
>dat fashion sense
>dat ass
>dat voice (GREY FUCKING DELISLE)
GOD, I fucking love Jeanne. Spinoff when?
>>
>>321311420
It's kind of like the Caganer in a sense.
It's an absurd tradition that people perform out of familiarity; but to people outside of the culture, it is incredibly unusual and illogical.
>>
>>321311021

Personally I'll always consider DMC3's Vergil 3 as the golden standard for boss fights, from a mechanical, difficulty and satisfaction standpoint.

The fight is pure skill with no time wasting cinematics in between, no platforming sections or other bullshit to make it seem more cool.

The problem with Kamiya's (but also the current Platinum as a whole, as they took his style as template) is that it focuses too much on the presentation and cinematrography of the fights instead of the gameplay itself. >>321310269 said it best

>style over substance instead of style through substance

In these games, and against those bosses, all the player is doing is mashing buttons against a specific spot on the enemy, following a specific scriptec sequence, and after reaching a certain point a cutscene replaces the bland/monotonous action in order to show the game's protagonist doing something "cool", be it Raiden throwing around the MG Ray, Bayonetta sending the final boss towards the sun or 101's final combination attack with the extremely long name.
>>
>>321311504
See? It doesn't matter that I tell you the problem is it's stupid to say "Character action games shouldn't be played for the character"; you keep on going with your posts.

It's in the title, "CHARACTER action game", yet you shouldn't play it for the character? But do please quote me every single post that defends CAG, because it clearly is what you think I was commenting on in the first place.
>>
>>321311917
Back at square one.
>Taking the term at face value.
This is why you don't do drugs kids.
>>
I'm going to start saying CAGRAZEE
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.