[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>http://www.pcgamer.com/the-reason- for-the-htc-vive-dela
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: htc-vive-12-19-15-1.jpg (45 KB, 585x373) Image search: [Google]
htc-vive-12-19-15-1.jpg
45 KB, 585x373
>http://www.pcgamer.com/the-reason-for-the-htc-vive-delay-was-a-very-very-big-tech-breakthrough/

So what's that breakthrough /v/?
>>
They found a way to cure TotalBiscuit's butt cancer.
>>
>>321278486
Ridley confirmed
>>
>>321278486
Nobody cares about VR anymore, so they need to keep the interest up.
>>
>>321278486
they figured out a way to render gaben in real time
>>
Total biscuit is British.
>>
>>321280295
takes a lot of tris for that roundness
almost had to go infinite detail
>>
>>321278486
They are making it compatible with facerig
>>
>>321278486
Speculated
>Eye-tracking tech similar to FOVE, complete with working foveated rendering;
>A way of overcoming occlusion limitations on tracking, like a hybrid tracking solution incorporating magnetic motion tracking;
>Miniaturization of the headset using some kind of microdisplay or DLP technology;
>A new kind of transparent display facilitating AR;
>A vast resolution increase (e.g. 4Kx4K per eye);
>An affordable wireless solution that can attain full raw video bandwidth;
>Next-gen haptics (even better than Tactical Haptics?) built in to the controllers;
>Inside-out tracking good enough to replace the Lighthouse tracking;
>>
Haptic teledildonics. You'll be able to get fucked by your waifu.
>>
The tracking system dev already confirmed they put the controller tracking into the headset so that there wouldn't be no problems with the controllers anymore.
>>
>>321280467

What's so great about haptics? It's just a fancy world for vibration anyways
>>
>>321280559
With the motion controllers and inside VR something like shooting stuff is so much cooler with a good haptics controller than something that just vibrates. They might have something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610iTKlYBVM
>>
>>321280467
take a load of this shill
>Not commercially viable
>Lighthouse has no serious problems with occlusion
>"Breakthrough"
>Wrong niche
>No hardware to feed that, practical commercial suicide
>Lol, nope. Li-fi is the best that we have in that area and it's still completely unreliable
>"Breakthrough"
>Carmack gave up with this months ago, that means something
>>
>have delay a product
>claim it's due to a major breakthrough
Seeing as it's HTC we're talking about they merely fucked up as usual and now try to spin it to their dumb and gullible potential new customerbase as intended delay. The Vive probably had "major problems" and now it only has "various problems".
Helps to understand what happened to HTC - they lost over 96% of their stock value due to repeated failures over the past 5 years, manifesting in major issues with any of their phones. Now they are no longer relevant and peddled their services to anyone willing to risk partnering with them in hopes to make money. They need the Vive to survive. Over the past 5 years HTC PR has become notorious for outright lies to keep share prices high - without success.
>>
File: 2RMOh.jpg (115 KB, 469x1032) Image search: [Google]
2RMOh.jpg
115 KB, 469x1032
>>321280467
>>
>>321280727
Not a shill, that's just what people have said and might be none of it is true. Still
>Not commercially viable
Yes it is if they've managed to make it cheap and robust. There already are good eye-tracking systems but it's still a new thing
>>Lighthouse has no serious problems with occlusion
It does, you can lose the tracking of the controllers pretty easily in specific angle when they hide under your body
>"Breakthrough"
Yes, a new kind of small display is a breakthrough
>Wrong niche
true
>No hardware to feed that, practical commercial suicide
There's nothing wrong in having 4k even if you couldn't run everything (if it doesn't raise the costs)
>Lol, nope. Li-fi is the best that we have in that area and it's still completely unreliable
True
>"Breakthrough"
Yes if they truly have come up with some cool new technology. Motion controllers are a big thing in VR
>Carmack gave up with this months ago, that means something
It just means Oculus has focused and finalized the Touch controllers and they're fine enough for them. That doesn't mean HTC could come up with something new
>>
>>321280467
Eye tracking is possible, a few companies have talked about wanting to do it.
I doubt at this point they'll be reworking the tracking system at a fundamental level.
It's a waste of resources to make a transparent screen currently when you've already got major limitations with needing the highest resolution, highest frequency, lowest persistence display you can get.
4Kx4K is not commercially viable and is completely useless for 99.5% of consumers.
Wireless solution is possible.
They likely wouldn't delay the headset for a controller tweak.
They wouldn't replace lighthouse entirely this late in, and it would need a great deal of extra hardware on the device itself for inside-out which would push the price into the 'fuck no' realm of pricing.
>>
>>321281195
>Wireless solution is possible.
Not really. We need some new wireless technology for it, currently it's not possible with such a low latency and high bandwidth
>>
>>321281081
>Literally nobody in the industry believes FOVE works, HTC and Oculus said numerous times that this technology is not yet on the horizon. HDM's screens will come before that
>Lighthouse (and even Constellation) only lose track of the controllers if you put them in your armpits
>Kek
>One for the shilling
>If you have a 4k screen, you SHOULD AT ALL COSTS render at 4k, if not enjoy your aliased as fuck image. Rendering at this resolution is just impossible for the 95% of the intalled base.
>Two for the shilling
>Not crucial for the game at all
>You missed my point. Carmack (and also Abrash) expressed how this is a problem that has to be solved, but right now there is no feasible solution to it.
>>
they figured out a way to increase the price tag threefold
>>
>>321280467

Well it's not going to be all of these things
>>
>>321278486
Wouldn't hurt to wait for 2 weeks to see what the fuss is all about, then proceed to preorder the rift if it turns out to be a load of hot air as is to be expected of HTC.
>>
>>321281514
>Literally nobody in the industry believes FOVE works
Not maybe FOVE, but everyone thinks eye-tracking is a next big step in VR HMDs just because foveated rendering has so big an impact on the performance

>Lighthouse (and even Constellation) only lose track of the controllers if you put them in your armpits
True, I didn't say they weren't good enough but they're not perfect. Still I doubt no tracking system ever will

>Kek
Nice argument when the display technology is one of the most important aspects right now

>shilling
what?

>If you have a 4k screen, you SHOULD AT ALL COSTS render at 4k
Nah, there's no difference whether you have 1440p or 4K screen even if you use both at 1440p. Some light demos could use 4K, and it is usable in the future when people get new GPUs

>Not crucial for the game at all
Actually it is. It can be the difference of some people thinking whether motion controllers are just a boring gimmick or actually a cool thing
>>
hopefully something that makes it cheaper.

there are rumours that OR is gonna cost $649 and psvr around $300, so unless vive makes it affordable vr is going to go to consoles.
>>
>>321278486
nobody cares
/thread
>>
>>321282285
$650, that would be a fucking ridiculous price even if it includes the motion controllers.

$450 is as far as I am willing to go for the HMD if it is any higher then I guess I'll just have to wait for the price to go down or get a 4K monitor instead.

Don't know how expensive the motion controllers would be, hopefully no more than $150. So that would amount to around $600.

I am hoping both the HMD and touch controllers go for around $550 or less.
>>
>>321278486
>daily thread
how much does Valve pay you?

>>321280467
>>321281195
>Eye tracking is possible
It's not. Eye trackers are large, expensive and slow. Nobody has a technology that's cheap and fast enough to be useful let alone fit inside a headset.
>>
>>321282772
yeah well, palmer was today at twitter doing preemptive damage control about how 1st gen vr is going to be too expensive for most. he was also in reddit thread where the $650 was talked and he didn't deny it.
>>
>>321282902
lol
>>
>>321278486
They're upgrading it from a 240p display to 360p
>>
File: BqLdS9DCUAAdFrF.jpg-large.jpg (111 KB, 991x692) Image search: [Google]
BqLdS9DCUAAdFrF.jpg-large.jpg
111 KB, 991x692
They will add vibrations to the VR set.
>>
>>321283224
>made "$300 or below" promises for years
>finally admits to his lies
VR is crashing and burning before it even gets off the ground
>>
>>321282285
OR is estimated more than $400, but I doubt over $600. Maybe 450-500?

>vive
>affordable
Bro, Vive is going to be much more expensive than Rift

>vr is going to go to consoles.
Consoles can't run proper VR experiences. The true VR is going to be on PC next year, it's just if people choose to buy Rift or Vive

>>321282902
>Eye trackers are large, expensive and slow. Nobody has a technology that's cheap and fast enough to be useful let alone fit inside a headset.
Wrong, that was the situation couple years ago. Now we do have small enough eye trackers to fit into HMDs. But the technology is so new and it can be improved a lot before going into products that the current HMDs won't include them. It's not perfect yet, but I can bet we see them in the 2nd gen of consumer HMDs
>>
>>321283629
it all comes tumbling down
>>
>>321283224
Hot damn, not like the HTC vive will be any better at the pricing front either.

$650 is asking too much for 2160x1200 HMD and a camera for tracking, I shit you not I can get a 28" 4K monitor for that price.

At least with a 4K monitor I know there is 0% chance it will end up picking dust in some corner even if my GPU can't handle it on max settings.
>>
>>321283629
It was the duct tape HMD and DK1 that Palmer estimated to be around $300 when in mass production. (Un?)fortunately FB bought them and they could use better components, and then Palmer realized they can use best price/quality components but they cost couple dozen dollars more so the price rose to $400

They're still selling it at almost production cost but still we can't say anything for sure before both Rift and Vive reveal the consumer prices
>>
>>321283664
Stop being so tech illiterate. No eye tracker is small and fast enough for foveated rendering, which would be the only useful application of eye tracking.
The only other use for eye tracking is gathering advertising data for facebook.
>>
>>321283896
>No eye tracker is small and fast enough for foveated rendering
But they are, those already exist
>>
This same thread has been appearing for the past several days at the same time.

Fuck off shill
>>
>>321280536
I would kill billions of people for this to be a reality
>>
>>321280536
and get your dick snapped by one
>>
They are just going to put a camera on the front so you can skin real life as anime in real time.
>>
>>321282902
>Eye trackers are large, expensive and slow.
I have personally controlled a racing game using a eye tracker mounted two meters away - and this was four years ago. Modern eye trackers work a lot better than you think they do.
>>
>>321278486
they found out that there are zero decent games what support VR
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.