[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Shmups on Steam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: deathsmiles_2.jpg (623 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
deathsmiles_2.jpg
623 KB, 1280x720
What is the best and hardest Shmup on Steam?
Other than putting a couple of hours into a Touhou game I have never really gotten into any Shmups but they look like a lot of fun and a good challenge.
Please go easy on my wallet
Also general Shmup thread
>>
I was thinking of buying the following but I have no idea whether they are actually any good:
Ikagura
Icarus-X
Mushihimesama
>>
>>321276376
I purchased Mushihimesama on steam recently, it's pretty damn good.
>>
Mushihimesama and Crimzon Clover at the very least.
There's probably a whole lot more though.
>>
>>321276376
Ikaruga.
>>
>>321278894
Yeah I was really thinking of buying this. It looks pretty awesome. Thanks
>>
I started playing Ikaruga a few days ago. It's fun and I like the style and feel of the game.

But seriously it get's so absurdly hard with level 3 onwards, I don't see me ever completing it.
>>
File: 1429856537054.png (6 KB, 389x464) Image search: [Google]
1429856537054.png
6 KB, 389x464
>>321276376
Mushihimesama is hardest. Crimzon Clover, Ikaruga and Kamui are good.
>>
>>321279305
Ikaruga is like 5% reflexes and 95% remembering patterns. Watching a video of someone doing a level helps a ton.
>>
>>321276376
How are these playable? Do you have to solely memorize firing patterns or something?
>>
>>321279790
Actually the hardest thing about Ikaruga is the execution you need for it. Having the right precision and timing is very important and not easy.
>>
>>321279619
Mushihime-sama is easy as fuck on normal. It's not any harder than the other games.
>>
>>321280318
>on normal
>>
>>321280603
Normal mode is the standart and how the game should be judged.
Ikaruga in Double Play mode is also blisteringly hard. Probably even harder than Mushihime on hardest difficulty.
>>
File: shiro's ashes.webm (3 MB, 520x390) Image search: [Google]
shiro's ashes.webm
3 MB, 520x390
Crimzon Clover and Mushihimesama for bullethells.
Raiden for shmups.

Are there any decent shmups on android?
>>
>buy every steam shmup
>clear mushi
>go back to playing mars matrix and gunbird 2 on DC
>>
>>321279850
Shmups are all about muscle memory, like pretty much everything challenging. You have to know them in and out and play them over and over again.
>>
Eschatos is a fantastic little shmup with god tier music.
>>
Exceed 2nd VR and Exceed 3rd JP are pretty great.
Eschatos and Astebreed are good as well.
Suguri is excellent but it's a lot different than a normal shmup.
>>
>>321280809
By that standard, every single cave shmup is easy as shit because they decided to make normal mode beginner friendly.
>>
Not on steam but for emulators you should pick Thunderforce 4
aside from being perfection it also has the best sega genesis soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQIiIKummw
>>
>>321281717
Old Cave games can be pretty damn hard. It's just modern shmups which are beginner friendly. Games which got ported to consoles or PC.
>>
Crimzon Clover
>>
>>321279850
A lot of people like to pretend bullet hells are largely about timing and reflexes but in reality it's 90% memorisation in anything remotely hard
>>
>>321282056
Then there's people who play for score which is entirely skill and improvisation.
>>
>>321280809
Except each one of the modes is unique. It's not like Maniac builds off of Original, it plays very differently. Also Original can be considered the easy mode as much as it can be considered normal mode. Then you have shmups like Raiden IV. Would you argue that normal there is the intended way to play even though the game was originally designed to be more difficult?
>>
>>321282056
You still need good reflexes to actually pull off the moves you've spent all those hours figuring out. You will know everything you need to do to win long before you actually win, because being able to execute your plans well is the real challenge.
>>
http://transition.tokyo/en

who /hype/?
>>
File: 1345794414006.jpg (289 KB, 700x840) Image search: [Google]
1345794414006.jpg
289 KB, 700x840
>>321283192
SDOJ announcement hype.
>>
>>321282431
Playing anything other than normal mode is just self-imposed difficulty. Like I said, go and play Ikaruga on Double Play on the hardest difficulty. Then you will see what kind of cake walk Mushihime sama is.
>>
>>321276635

Not exactly a schmup connoisseur, but Ikaruga is a great game.
>>
>>321283958
Completely baseless assumption. The exact same thing can be said of normal difficulty if easy exists.
>>
Jamestown was okay
>>
>>321283958

>Playing anything other than normal mode is just self-imposed difficulty

Self-imposed difficulty is when you add your own arbitrary rules. If you use in-game difficulty settings, that isn't self-imposed at all. At any rate, difficulty levels are essentially arbitrary, where some games won't even pose a challenge on anything but the hardest difficulty while some games are unplayably difficult at high settings to all but the most obsessive nutters. Most difficulty scales aren't set with adult male gaming enthusiasts in mind, so 'Normal' is usually way too easy for your average anon.
>>
>>321283958
Maniac and Ultra both appear on the same screen after you insert a credit, it's not self-imposed at all, they're also the most played modes.
>>
stuff by Siter Skain is pretty fun
>>
I cant remember the name in particular but the third in series which was top down from the gundeadline trilogy was a joy for me and my circle of pals to play. Hikaruga something?
>>
>>321284121
If easy is the standart in the game, then yes. Usually the standart is normal though.

>>321284484
Self-imposed difficulty is anything you do with the game difficulty which does not include the standart. If I go in Ikaruga in the options and set my lives count to zero, then that is also self-imposed difficulty. Just because the game gives me the option to do it, does not mean that it isn't self-imposed.
>>
>>321284847
How do you know what the "standard" is? Why is normal difficulty the standard despite the fact that it could have been thrown together after the devs finished the harder modes? The fact that the harder modes often have completely new attacks or more thought out scoring system suggests exactly that.
>>
>>321285136
It is the standart when it is the standart in the difficulty settings. If Normal mode is chosen by default, then it is the standart.
>>
>>321285343
Mushi Original is the standard if you're a demented cripple who can't pull the lever down after hitting the Start button.
>>
File: 2416978-hitogatahappa_wp_hd-1.jpg (733 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2416978-hitogatahappa_wp_hd-1.jpg
733 KB, 1920x1080
>>321284840
This game. Try this game out, OP.
>>
>>321285494
You really are too dumb. Just because there are options for other difficulties doesn't mean that chosing these options isn't self-imposed difficulty.

I also won't call a shmup hard, just because there is some option somewhere which could make it hard, although the game is actually easy as hell without it.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.