[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this game is so boring. how can anyone who enjoyed the real games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5
File: donkey kong returns.jpg (240 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
donkey kong returns.jpg
240 KB, 1600x900
this game is so boring. how can anyone who enjoyed the real games say they liked this without lying to themselves?

>art is bland
>music sounds souless and distant from the game
>gameplay is slowed down in many of the level due to poor level design
>most areas are too similar and indistinguishable from one another, despite mostly being based off of the areas from the first game
>there are only like 4 secret mini games that get repeated over and over without any variations, unlike the original which made the secret mini games harder as the game went on
>hardly any animal buddies

I am so disappointed with this game. I cant even play more than a few levels without losing interest.

Are there even any underwater levels?
>>
It's solid as fuck and fun, but too bland. It was Retro trying their hand at something completely different than Metroid Prime.

Tropical Freeze pretty much fixes all the problems that Returns had, aside from Bonus Rooms and slightly easier difficulty curve.
>>
>>321246912
Name of the game is Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Not "Animal Buddies: Donkey Kong's Adventure."
>>
File: 1435882513272.jpg (74 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
1435882513272.jpg
74 KB, 682x1024
>>321247321
Actually the name is Donkey Kong Returns, it says right on the file name.
>>
>>321247231
And no animal buddies, but they were replaced by Kong partners.
>>
>>321246912
>remove the kremlings because they want to make their own original dkc series
>re-use all the music though
>>
>>321247231
I don`t know man, I got caught up in the nostalgia for the first two worlds, and by the third I got bored. I stopped around world 5 and recently decided to finish it. I started playing and remembered how boring it was and I stopped after 3 levels. The only think fun are those Challenge levels with the lava everywhere, but they suffer from being autoscrollers so even they are kind of lame.
>>
>>321247879
It doesnt even sound good either. It sounds so corny like free plugins from fruityloops. There are much better software out there that give off the sound of a live orchestra and they`re not even that expensive.
>>
>>321247940
You'll have to take my word on it. TF drops the nostalgia angle from Returns by a lot and does it's own thing, extremely well too. And David Wise even composed the music, which I'd argue is on par with DKC2 (but way different in style)
>>
>>321248186
maybe I will give TF a chance. I wanted to beat Returns before I did, but going back to it hasn`t been fun. If I don`t like it I guess I`ll have realize donkey kong is dead
>>
>>321247231
>Bland

The worlds maybe but I still think the Forest and Cliff were pretty creative spins.

Volcano a shit though.
>>
>>321248595
I mean, you may not like it. You may have shit taste in video games. That's not my problem.
>>
>>321246912
I remembered

>blowing and pounding mechanics slow down gameplay and can cause accidental death when you accidentally roll off an edge instead

However, the fact that they kept the roll-jump off of edges is nice.
>>
>>321248595
Returns is 7/10, TF is 9 to a 10.
>>
>>321248864
I don't think I do. Im usually pretty easy to please. Returns just bores me for some reason. Maybe I hyped myself up too much.
>>
>>321247731
Rhambi is in TF, I think. I remember playing a level in World 2 and a volcano level with him.
>>
>>321249259
Yeah, but they didn't add anyone else. They were replaced by Diddy/Dixie/Cranky, but I feel it was a good change.
>>
>>321249145
Well, I wouldn't hype TF too much if you're getting it. It's more of Returns, just better. So if you didn't like Returns, you may also not like TF. It still suffers from some of the flaws you mentioned, like the bonus rooms and animal buddies, but the other flaws you mentioned I didn't find in TF.
I'd say watch these for a good idea of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvhgBHLBRhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfT418gyb4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3adTY5elog
>>
i know that feel OP. but i think i'm just no longer interested in platformers.
>>
>>321249752
looks okay, the levels look more varied at least.

dont get me wrong, Returns has its moment, that one aztec level with the long bridge comes to mind, but those moments are few and far between. Game is too easy though.

>>321250014
Maybe, I think its just that few know how to make them anymore.
>>
>>321250548
Tropical Freeze is definitely harder than Returns by a longshot.
>>
>>321250548
>Maybe, I think its just that few know how to make them anymore.
Retro showed with Returns that they do know how to make them. They were just held back by trying to appeal to fans of the rare games. And they kinda had to since they tried to sell a new DK 2D platformer after years of spin off hell.
>>
>>321250653
Thats good, as long as its not like that super mario galaxy 2 shit where i gotta beat the whole game all over again just to get to the hard levels

>>321250764
understandable
>>
>>321250653
I'd say Tropical Freeze is definitely easier than Returns even if not by much. At the least it's more forgiving. Especially the vehicle levels.
>>
Theres something about the games that lack "soul".
>>
>>321251289
Yeah they casualized the vehicle levels but I don't really like those that much anyways.
>>
File: 1342596267341.jpg (8 KB, 279x267) Image search: [Google]
1342596267341.jpg
8 KB, 279x267
>>321246912
>>
>>321251681
Bruh we're having a nice discussion. No need to be an asshole.
>>
>>321251409
What they should have done was keep it the same as the original DKC games where the other character is the extra hit. That way there is still some leeway but you're not getting more mercy. Also less balloons in general.
>>
>>321251359
Thats how I feel, but how can you even measure that.

>>321251770
No need to reply to him. Obviously a child or autistic.
>>
>>321251409
>>321252080
Are there barrel levels? I love barrel levels.
>>
The only complaint I agree with is lack of animal buddies. I found the game extremely satisfying and at times more difficult than the originals. Still haven't gotten around to beating that Golden Temple. Lack of checkpoints in the bonus levels was kind of a stupid design choice.
>>
>>321252245
Barrel rocket stuff? Yeah.
And each one has a specific remix based on the island it's on.
>>
>>321252245
The Rocket barrels? Yeah. I find it's a bit touchier than Returns.
>>
>>321251359
It's the atmosphere. Best way to describe it is "Rare = Dreamworks/Retro = Pixar".
>>
Bought it twice for the wii and the 3ds. Played the original snes games starting with DKC so I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
File: 1424404494437.jpg (31 KB, 241x348) Image search: [Google]
1424404494437.jpg
31 KB, 241x348
>>321252486
But Rare made good games with atmosphere
>>
>>321252486
Haven't you got that backwards broski?
>>
>>321252673
I meant that they're different, you dipshit.
>>
>>321252297
Ironically this leads to hard mode making the K temples easier than some of the regular stages because they were designed around not having checkpoints while the regular stages can be kind of lengthy.
>>
>>321252751
Dreamworks has always had that "edgier" touch than Pixar, and in DKC's case it's the same.
>>
>>321252825
I don't think I ever checked out hard mode. What is it, reduced to one heart per Kong and no checkpoints? That just sounds plain obnoxious.
>>
>>321252871
I don't think Dreamworks vs Pixar would be the best comparison then. Maybe Disney vs the stories their movies are based on.
>>
>>321252486
So fantastic atmosphere with the first one then declining with each installment versus pretty good with only minor fluxuations.
>>
>>321253042
I haven't played Returns but that's what it is in Tropical Freeze. I find it a manageable challenge, except in the boss battles. It's frustrating but satisfying when you know you've mastered a level. You do at least get to choose which Kong to play as, so you could do the whole thing as Dixie if you wanted to.
>>
>>321253161
>then declining with each installment
I don't think it applies in DKC1 to DKC2
>>
>>321253292
There's like Zero reason to ever use Donkey in Hard mode. Like literally nothing.
>>
>>321246912
All the new Nintendo platformers are pretty shit. Kirby, Yoshi and DK were terribly boring games, I don't understand the praise. Mario sucks too but at least SMG1 and 2 had some decent levels here and there but not enough to warrant the fanfare.
>>
>>321252297
I disagree, its the only challenging thing about the game so far.

Is it just me or were the bosses harder in the originals too?

>>321252391
>>321252376
Sounds cool, you're making me want to play it.

>>321252486
I think you have that wrong

>>321252642
I had the originals growing up too, beat them many many times. I thought that was clear from my post when I compared some stuff to the originals.

>>321252825
>>321253042
So, like the originals?
>>
>>321253458
I used him for vehicle levels.
>>
>>321253534
>Is it just me or were the bosses harder in the originals too?
Maybe 2 or 3 but 1 had pathetic bosses. Even DKCR has more difficult bosses than DKC1. TF is at least on par with 2, Fredrik is a legitimate challenge.
>So, like the originals?
Not exactly. You only get one hit total since you only get one Kong, and any death sends you back to the start of the stage.
>>
>>321253374
Ya got me there.
>>
>>321253459
I dont think people want to admit it but its true. Mario Maker is pretty fun for a bit, until the novelty wears off and you're stuck trying to find good levels rather than just insanely hard levels or "funny" levels.
>>
>>321253042

That's it, yep. A lot of it I found surprisingly not THAT hard with dixie. Dixie is so OP compared to the rest.

Hardest bits for me was the baboon trio boss, then that octopus level, then the final boss.

The secret temple levels were still as fun as ever, even with one life
>>
Not gonna lie, I enjoy a little play of it every now and then. That being said I got it for free because someone on here was generous enough to post a code for the 3DS version from the Club Nintendo closing rewards. It's fun for what it is but not in any way landmark
>>
>>321253881
Maybe on SMM he's right, but he can't talk shit about Kirby or DK (or Yoshi now since Yarn Yoshi ended up being good)
>>
>>321253881
>Mario Maker is pretty fun for a bit, until the novelty wears off and you're stuck trying to find good levels rather than just insanely hard levels or "funny" levels.

I just wish I was more creative. I had a ton of fun making 8 or so levels, then completely ran out of creative ideas that thousands of other people didn't already do a thousand times better, and now I just browse 4chan MM threads on the rare occassion one is alive
>>
>>321254112
When in doubt, steal ideas. See what you can bring to the idea that you haven't already seen.
>>
>>321254091
>Kirby or DK (or Yoshi now since Yarn Yoshi ended up being good)
The games are boring and uninspired as shit. They're more likely to put you to sleep than to be memorable beyond the level you're playing. After you get over the initial impression of how awesome the visuals are, there's almost no game or challenge to play.
>>
>>321253292
>>321253534
Eh, I don't find what is basically trial and error challenging. It does make beating the level a bit more satisfying, but I'd rather not have to go through the same shit multiple times, e-fucking-specially if it's a scrolling level. Fuck that shit. I just get really annoyed breezing through a level, only to fuck up at the part I'm having trouble with, or worse, getting past that part and immediately dying soon after.
>>
>>321253769
>Even DKCR has more difficult bosses than DKC1
You're right about DK1 Boss fights being easy, but so far DKR boss fights have felt easier. Could it be because you can take 4 hits before dying? It never happens, only way you can die in this game is through a pit.

>You only get one hit total since you only get one Kong
Oh, so other kongs don't add an extra hit for you then? Might be fun. Problem is, I have so many games to play that I probably wont want to play through a second time just to try it. Does it have to be unlocked?
>>
>>321246912

kill yourself nigger you don't actually like games
>>
>>321254297
By hard mode you've already played through the stage, so it should be less trial and error and more execution.
>>
>>321253459
Wooly World is pretty good at making you feel good, but at the same time I really feel like it didn't really do anything at the same time. It's just too safe or something.

Epic Yarn was sort of piss easy but it really felt like it's own game, WW just feels like New Super Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>321254347
Yeah I think you need all the KONG letters.
>>
>>321254347

I think hard mode unlocks when you do all the temples along with that sky island.

Which you should have done anyways, those are the best levels in the game

It really isn;t worth doing unless you LOVE the game, are extremely patient, and need an excuse to play it yet again. I fucking new I was going to be disapointed, knew there was zero reward, yet I still went in and was disappointed
>>
>>321254292
>there's almost no game or challenge to play.
Temple stages in Returns and TF
Mirror in Returns and Hard in TF
Return to DreamLand EX Mode.

And shit, it's not just about their difficulty. It's about how well they play and I'd argue that DK is Nintendo's best feeling platformer.
>>
>>321254402
True enough. Usually I'm just going really fast and fuck up by running into something or fumbling a jump. Still, if I fuck up, I'd rather not have to go back to square one.
>>
>>321254641
>Return to Dreamland EX Mode
Love that shit. That's a hard mode done right.
>>
File: large.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
102 KB, 1280x720
>>321246912
>Art is bland

Stopped reading there. The art direction of the game is the best thing about it.
>>
>>321254091
I like Yoshi games but haven't gotten around to Yarn yet. To be honest I'm kind of indifferent to trying them because I'm getting kind of sick of Nintendos franchises. Splatoon was a nice breath of fresh air, although I tend not to play multiplauer games for more than 2 weeks to a month because I have too many other games I still need to play through.

>>321254292
Uh oh.

>>321254297
I know what you mean, sometimes it can feel like a waste of time, however, some games pull it off well and make it fun such as Cloudbuilt and Meat Boy
>>
>>321246912
>art is bland
Only needed read this far to realize that your opinion is objectively garbage.
>>
>>321254387
How to tell if someone is underage.
>>
>>321254091
Kirby is by far the most boring series of platformer that I've ever played. It's just that it being pathetically easy is built into the heart of the series so people like to give it a pass.
>>
>gameplay is slowed down in many of the level due to poor level design

Now hold the fuck up mister. Play the Time Trials and you'll come to realize just how good the level design can be.
>>
>>321255561
if you don't realize "how good" level design is from playing it normally then it's not good level design
>>
>>321255112
>>321255349
Theres nothing special about it. Most world end up looking the same. Also its easy to pick one or two examples where its good, but compare it to something like Rayman Origins and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>321255561
>>321255720

Actually now that I've brought up Rayman Origins, thats another example of a game that has good level design both when playing it normally and when doing the time trials. Maybe that's why DKR doesn't feel so good to me, I was spoiled by Rayman Origins.
>>
>>321255740
Rayman Origins is style over substance though, specially Legends. Still loved both of them though.

>>321255720
It shows you how everything flows together in a smart way. The leve doesn't make you stop, it's yourself. One you actually know the layout, everything makes sense in the way it was designed.
>>
>>321251289

Tropical Freeze is a bit easier, but it's a lot more fair.

>no loadtimes after failing a time trial
>final boss isn't a RNG fuckfest
>final boss doesn't have rocket barrel section before it

Oh, and Dixie exists.

The only catch is that collecting Puzzle Pieces is harder in TF. There are more of them, and some of them can be obscure or annoying to get. (ie: get a random row of bananas in a rocket barrel section)
>>
>>321255435
It really isn't all that easy of a series, especially the earlier games. Most of the modern titles do start out incredibly easy, though. But that's made up for in the later worlds and the Hard modes are typically well done. A shame you have to beat the game first to unlock them.
>>
>>321255720

Actually it means you're a faggot who plays like shit when left to his own devices and then whines about it.
>>
>>321256064
I haven't played Legends.

Also I disagree, It has lots of substance introducing a new ability or mechanic every world. There is a variety of levels too, even the hidden bonus rooms are all different, unlike DKR which pastes the same few over and over again.
>>
>>321255740
>>321255982
I love Rayman Origins too but it's a damn easy game. The only hard parts are particular lum challenges, like the one shooter level in the clouds which took me dozens of tries.
It's also a really pretty game like you said, but I don't think that should discredit DKCR's art direction. I'd say the levels look a lot more samey in Origins than DK for one.
>>
>>321256064
>The level doesn't make you stop, it's yourself. One you actually know the layout, everything makes sense in the way it was designed.
This is why I loved the game. Levels had a definite flow to them. Most of my deaths were caused by me going way too fast and losing my sync with the level. But fuck were they fun.
>>
>>321246912
>>321247231
i'd say it's safe
the only thing i didn't like was that hte controls weren't responsive enough...
>>
>>321256085
World 5's water level was particularly mean about puzzle pieces.
>>
>>321256321
>There is a variety of levels too, even the hidden bonus rooms are all different, unlike DKR which pastes the same few over and over again.
That I 100% agree on. The bonus stuff in Retro's DK really pales in comparisons.

>>321256356
>I'd say the levels look a lot more samey in Origins than DK for one.
Eh. Kinda with you in that each DK stage looks unique but still thematically cohesive with the world (TF definitely improves this as well), but at the same time Origins and Legends are simply more gorgeous games.
>>
>>321256356
>I'd say the levels look a lot more samey in Origins than DK for one.

I disagree completely and believe the opposite is true. To each their own.

>>321256185
He's not a faggot. In DKR, yes the enemy placement is set up on a good way where you can bounce off of them and run and roll jump over large gaps to the next set of enemies smoothly similar to the original games, however this one asks you to collect stupid puzzle pieces and Kong letters which usually require you to deviate from you path and stop your flow completely.
>>
>>321246912
Yeah it wasn't that hot. It was mediocre but nothing more.
>>
>>321255982

I felt Rayman Origins was too easy compared to Returns.The only level that felt tough to beat quickly was Mecha No Mistake. The rest were:

>hold run button
>hold right
>win time trial

Meanwhile in DK you realize with time the importance of everything placed in front of you. Every enemy, obstacle, platform, cycle. Everything flows together so a skilled player can go fast. If you don't figure it out, you don't get Gold.

In other words, time trials are great in platformers.
>>
>>321256902
>however this one asks you to collect stupid puzzle pieces and Kong letters which usually require you to deviate from you path and stop your flow completely.
But you could say the same thing for Origins how it requires you to go out of your way to collect lums and rescue electoons.
>>
>Level flow

I hate this, levels are easy to break if you just rush through them (Especially levels with lots of breakable platforms, hesitation instantly makes them much harder), the problem is they try to rectify that but cramming them with collectibles so you either play them twice or you trigger all the hazards that would otherwise be easy to bypass like the fire boars.
>>
>>321256902
>this one asks you to collect stupid puzzle pieces and Kong letters which usually require you to deviate from you path and stop your flow completely.
You can just not go for everything in one run if you want.
>>
>>321256974
You do the same thing in Rayman Origins too, bouncing off of enemies, dash attack into another, slide down then jump off onto a swing to be launch even further. It was about speed too and using enemies to get to the end quicker.
>>
>>321257209
>so you either play them twice
why not do that then?
>>
>>321257093
Nah, the Lums are usually placed within a path that allows you to keep your momentum.

>>321257228
True, but what about my unlocks and hard mode and my 100%. Its my own personal problem but I don't like missing things when I play games.
>>
>>321257681
Then do that on your next run of the level.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.