[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/1 2/23/496/ >In a bran
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: masahiro_sakurai[1].jpg (299 KB, 1100x619) Image search: [Google]
masahiro_sakurai[1].jpg
299 KB, 1100x619
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/23/496/

>In a brand new Famitsu Column, translated by Source Gaming, Sakurai discusses his selection of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta for the final DLC on Smash for Wii U/ 3DS.

>He begins with Cloud,

>Having a representative from Final Fantasy is an amazing feat! And the character that was the overwhelming favorite among the cast of Final Fantasy was Cloud. Wielding his massive Buster Sword with ease in one hand, he has speed, reach, and power. If left unadjusted, he’d definitely be overpowered. After thinking about how I would approach this character, I decided his swordsmanship style would utilize the concept of “swinging through,” which is exemplified in his forward smash. This move has Cloud build up some power before swing three times at high speed. It maintains his speed and reach, but is balanced by having a window of vulnerability before the attack. And he’s fast, but his recovery is weak.

>Corrin

>After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game. After consulting many times with Nintendo and looking at the upcoming release schedule, Fire Emblem Fates was in just the right spot. It’s already been released in Japan, but is yet to be released overseas, making it a prime candidate in terms of timing. I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character.
>>
So why aren't they doing any more DLC?
>>
>>321238412
because he is tired of the smash fanboys whining.
>>
File: 280.png (469 KB, 499x485) Image search: [Google]
280.png
469 KB, 499x485
>>321238412
Hard work, muh arm, children, etc.
I like to think they're already planning the next Smash Bros., and are just cutting Sm4sh loose in order to think tank ideas for the next game. Nintendo as a company always did operate on a "release game then done" basis rather than "release game and long-term DLC support" after all.
>>
>>321238162
>>Corrin
I was traveling on the 15th and didn't hear about this until now. This is bullshit. So many generic FE characters/anime swordsmen.
>>
>>321239095
I think there are too many FE/sowrd characters, but to be fair, Coriin looks extremely unique and fun.
>>
>>321238162
I'm still confused why they felt the need to add another character and not have it be from the ballot.
>>
>>321239095
and yet he's probably the most unique one next to Robin
>>
>>321239095
Corrin looks different. FE is overrepresented, but Roy and Lucina were easy to make clones. Without them, the crew plays uniquely.
>>
>>321240069

Yeah, this is the problem

Marth, Ike, Robin, and Corrin are unique and completely different from each other, then ther'es Lucina who was an alt. costume for Marth that got made into a clone at the last minute, and Roy who was brought back because of Melee nostalgia
>>
>>321239196
>>321239943
>>321240069
Uniqueness doesn't matter he still has a sword!!!
>>
>>321238162

>Bayonetta

>We were conducting a “Smash Ballot” where people could vote for their favorite characters. Worldwide, 1.8 million votes were counted, and of the fighters that were negotiable, as well as realizable in Smash, Bayonetta had the highest amount of votes!* Bayonetta 2 was also a Nintendo exclusive, so negotiations were very easy.
>>
>>321239874
That is really confusing. They were looking for DLC characters to pick, after a statement about "fan service only", and no one thought they could pick more than one of the characters people were actually asking for? Was there some weird autism logic going on in Sakurai's head?
>>
>After internal analysis, we decided that if we’re going to make DLC, we would choose a character from a soon-to-be-released new game.

Or you could have just made another ballot character. The timing for Corrin makes no sense, Fates came out months ago in Japan and is months away in NA.
>>
File: Link_SSB4[1].png (165 KB, 443x443) Image search: [Google]
Link_SSB4[1].png
165 KB, 443x443
Why is Link excluded from the "anime swordsman" argument?

He looks just as much like an "anime" (which is a meaningless buzzword considering how many drastically different looking styles anime has) character as any of the FE characters.
>>
Why are so many people upset? This is Sakurai's game. He can do whatever he wants with it. He didn't even HAVE to do DLC in the first place!
>>
>>321240625
Could've easily just added Wolf back in for Star Fox Zero.
>>
>>321240679

The scope of the game is too big for one man's whims. This is a crossover game, not his personal baby.
>>
>>321240958
Should've added Wolf instead of Roy.
>>
>>321240625
>The timing for Corrin makes no sense, Fates came out months ago in Japan and is months away in NA

Corrin isn't being released until February, and February is when Fates comes out in NA
>>
>>321240675
Funny thing. Corrin seems have a total of 5 moves using his sword. This is comparatively less than the Pits, who people tend to forget about. This argument is perpetuated only by people who can't properly critique gameplay.
>>
>>321238162
>I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem
Did nobody ever tell you to trust your instincts you biased hack? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>321241072
He was bullied by Kimishima
>Iwata-sama would have wanted more Fire Emblem
>>
>>321241004
>The scope of the game is too big for one man's whims.
Which is why Nintendo would have approved the decision first.
>>
>>321240675
Same reason why people complain about Lucina and Dark Pit but not about Dr. Mario.
>>
>>321238994
I hope you're right. That said, they've supported Sm4sh really really well with the DLC they've released. A bit expensive for me, but I'll wait till everyone's out and hopefully be able to get a single DLC buy thing.

>>321239095
The thing that's hardest about that for me is that it's not Isaac. Everyone says at least Corrine looks unique, but Isaac would have been so much more interesting.
>>
>>321240675
grandfather clause
>>
>>321240625
he admitted before that he put in Corrin for himself
>>
>>321238162
>If left unadjusted, he’d definitely be overpowered

Still waiting for the adjustment
>>
>>321242805

Finishing Touch is predictable as fuck, and his recovery is so bad that he's often forced to waste his Limit Break on it

Cloud is not overpowered, he requires skill and careful play
>>
>>321240439
>, and of the fighters that were negotiable, as well as realizable in Smash
This basically tells me that Snake was high as fuck in the actual ballot but Konami were being dicks.
>>
>>321238162
Some make-up, little hair cut. Cute little out fit. Maybe some cute sneakers. Yeah, this could happen.
>>
>>321240675
He was the first one.
He doesn't have 2 clones in the same game.
There are 0 FE characters that don't use a sword in Smash
>>
>>321243373
>There are 0 FE characters that don't use a sword in Smash

None of Robin's specials use his sword
>>
>>321243547
Good for him? Still uses a sword
>>
>>321243789

Using a sword does not make a character similar. Marth and Ike both use swords, but they're nothing alike. Mewtwo and Lucario both have energy ball attacks, but they're nothing alike. Ryu and Little Mac both fight with their fists, but they're nothing alike.

Using the same weapon does not make them similar.
>>
>>321242805

he's like, mid tier though

all that range, only half his moves actually use it.
>>
>>321240439
>as well as realizable in Smash
what this basically says to me is that Sakurai threw out quite a few higher-placing characters that he thought "didn't work". There could've been any number of characters like Ridley and K. Rool above Bayonetta, who didn't make it because they were 'unrealizable' (i.e. Sakurai didn't like them, didn't want them in).

Who knows what position Bayonetta actually came in
>>
>>321243967
And we're not talking about similarity. They all have swords. That's all that needs to be said.
>>
>>321240439

>as well as realizable in Smash,

read: "she already has a bazillion moves that i can just pick a handful for for my game, this will be easy instead of making (character x) who scored higher but will actually take effort"
>>
>>321240679

>Bias towards KI:U and Fire Emblem, having so much shit from those games that it may as well be a Jump series game, which is a clone of Smash.
>Calls those complaining children when he really made some dumb choices, bringing clones back, admitting Lucina is a clone, etc
>Relevancy shit he said was the reason Ice Climbers were removed, yet literally a handful of characters havent been relevant in years regardless of "muh retro" shit smashfags claim, irony at its finest
>Barely gave what a number of people wanted, except for Indieshits, they never deserved it
>>
Still salty about Corrin. Even as a big FE fan Sakurai can suck my dick when it comes to adding even more from that franchise.
>>
>>321244824
>Relevancy shit he said was the reason Ice Climbers were removed

Ice Climbers were removed because of 3DS limitations, the same reason why Olimar only has three Pikmin, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus became separate characters, and Squirtle and Ivysaur were removed.

Them being unlikely to have another game is simply what sealed the deal and made them decide that trying to get them to work wasn't worth the effort.
>>
>>321244942

>Corrinfags are just footfags that justify him/her solely on his/her feet, a number of others are just underage girls creaming themselves over their anime cliche shit character

Your anime character a shit
>>
>>321244105
>Who knows what position Bayonetta actually came in

Like the direct said she was 1st in Europe and Top 5 in America. She was 1st worldwide in 'realizable' characters.
>>
>>321244942
Your dick probably be too small for him to suck on seen all you do is bitch and moan.
>>
>>321242195
Well no, Link is excluded because Link is one of the faces of Nintendo itself, rather than simply the FE character of the year.

Dr. Mario is disregarded because he is in melee, and the most vocal players are the meleefags.
>>
>>321244824
>Relevancy shit he said was the reason Ice Climbers were removed

Except it's not, they weren't workable on the 3DS.
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 868x624) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 868x624
>>321245167
Did you not even read my post?
>>
>>321245280
She was first of "realizable" characters, not first overall. Bayonetta could've been in 100th place but if places 1st-99th were thrown out as being "unrealizable" then Bayo would be 1st.
>>
File: poll.jpg (724 KB, 1603x600) Image search: [Google]
poll.jpg
724 KB, 1603x600
>>321244824
>Bias towards KI:U and Fire Emblem
Interviewer: In Smash for 3DS/ Wii U, there are far more Fire Emblem characters on the roster than in previous games. How did you go about the selection process for these characters?

Sakurai: It really depends on the situation. For example, Roy and Robin were included for completely different reasons. It also depends on luck, of course. Industry trends around the time when development begins is a pretty big factor. I started development on Smash for 3DS/ Wii U right after I’d wrapped up Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Fire Emblem Awakening was released one month after Uprising. So what’s popular around the time when I begin designing the game is important. Characters are almost never added after I’ve completed the project plan for Smash.

>Calls those complaining children
People who would rather have nothing instead of Lucina which made at least some people happy, are pretty much manchildren.
>>
>>321238412

The team has to be disbanded so they can work on other games.
>>
>>321246303
they fucking said 5th in north america but when you cut the 4 unrealizable characters on top of her she became number one. Banjo was probably high up
>>
>>321239095
>>321240302
mewtwo and samus both have more punching/kicking/tail attacks then they corrin does sword ones.
>>
>>321244243
Ganondorf and pit also have swords, but i'm sure you aren't concerned about them.
>>
>>321246428
I think the thing that irks me the most about Sakurai is his comets inability to handle criticism. It's always the fanbases fault for being entitled if a decision he makes doesn't go over well.
>>
>>321244824
>Calls those complaining children
Most of the time they are, anon. They might be broken clocks right twice a day, but for the most part, they're autistic manchildren who wouldn't be happy with any rational addition anyway.
>>
>>321242805
He has many advantages, but also many flaws.
The S tiers can still kick his ass, and I'd say that he is just slightly above average.

I'd be fine if Cloud remained untouched through the future patches.
>>
>>321247591
He's pretty spiteful for someone who goes around making so many arbitrary choices without consequences. I don't know why Soccerguy doesn't just drop Smash and get it over with, he clearly doesn't care anymore.
>>
>>321248447
He was obligated to. He can't Dave Chapelle out of this
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (25 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
25 KB, 300x301
>>321244824
>>321247591
>>321248447
Regarding the "children" comment, I'm pretty sure what he was actually getting at was that actual children probably have a hard time understanding that not all characters are created equal in dev time and he couldn't just swap out the clones for fully fledged characters, not that he was calling his detractors children for daring to criticize him. Why would he publicly insult a portion of the fanbase in an interview?
>>
>>321244243
>muh animu swordys maymay
>given the explanation about how it doesn't matter for the majority of sword users
>They all have swords. That's all that needs to be said.
and you're a stupid faggot, that's all that needs to be said
>>
>>321248843
Because a portion of the adult fanbase also behave like children.

I'm not gonna say that I applaud all of his decisions, but I can see where he is coming from.
>>
>>321238994
What if the ballot was actually a test to see what characters people are interested in seeing added into the next Smash Bros
>>
>>321249380
I'm pretty sure they've said as much, actually. That the data from the ballot would be taken into consideration not just for Smash 4 DLC but for future Smash games. And really, they'd be foolish not to pay attention to such valuable market research when planning the next roster.
>>
>>321238162
>people still care about Nintendo at this age
They don't even care about the fans, why even bother?
>>
>>321250340
Nintendo were the last ones to stop caring about their fans though, for what it's worth.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.