[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need serious responses, /v/. Realistically, how long would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: coding.jpg (119 KB, 1200x627) Image search: [Google]
coding.jpg
119 KB, 1200x627
I need serious responses, /v/. Realistically, how long would it take to make a 2d game? I haven't decided the genre officially, but it's leaning towards RPG.

What's the best way to start? I'm an idea's guy, but I want to learn how to do everything alone or just get a friend to help me with the soundtrack.

How are you Anons making games? Did you have any computer experience before? If so, where did you start?

Thanks in advance.
>>
start with 4 years of college
>>
>>321230862
That's checked off already.
>>
depends on what kind of game

if you're making an adventure rpg with numerous characters, maps, skill trees, and interesting mechanics, it could take years.

if you're a faggot who makes flashgame-tier trash, then just several months
>>
That's like asking how long it would it take to build a house, You could flip over a cardboard box and call it home or be building a mansion with 40+ rooms. With few exceptions like your a master in making games or your game is five minutes long it's going to take a minimum of a year.
>>
File: MUHSPACESHIP.jpg (233 KB, 1671x987) Image search: [Google]
MUHSPACESHIP.jpg
233 KB, 1671x987
>>321230501
Learn blender (modeling,uv unwrapping, texture painting, animating)
GIMP
Ue4/unity
Find music from no-name artists and offer to put them in your game
???
Profit
>>
>>321230501

Anywhere from 3-5 months to 3-5 years depending on ambition, experience [spoilers]and motivation.[/spoilers]
>>
>>321231383
>>321231726
That's fine. That's the answer I was pretty much expecting. If I were to go start right now, I wouldn't announce anything until it was completely polished.

>>321231669
I need Blender for 2d?
>>
>>321232014
>2d
I didnt realize you meant a shit game, sorry. Go learn rpgmaker or some babby tool similar to that.

Better have a damn good story,gameplay, and unique mechanics if you want to make a good 2d game.
>>
>>321230501
Why do you want to make a video game?
>>
You say you want to learn how to do everything or most of it by yourself.

If you want to program the game yourself, it will take a long ass time. As someone who knows how to program well but isn't a programmer by trade, I feel like I could write many programs and games from scratch but I would never be finished making them.

If you aren't there yet programming wise, then you need to ask if you only enjoy the idea of a self-made game or if you also enjoy the idea of being a self-taught programmer. Programming is a very long road that isn't kind to someone without a lot of devotion.

Anyway, I'm just saying all this because this has been my experience. You can make a game without programming everything, and if that's what you want then start looking at game creation tools.
>>
Well you can either use RPG Maker or Game Maker if you want more possibilities/gameplay gimmicks. With RPG Maker it's pretty easy, just have some tutorials and spritesheets nearby and you're set.

With Game Maker it's very helpful to have basic knowledge of C++, although GML (Game Maker Language) mostly consists of looking stuff up in the manual and searching the forums.
>>
>>321230501
If you want EZ mode, go get RPG Maker or something. Plenty of people use it, don't feel ashamed. Well, feel a little ashamed, but not too much.

Or you could learn, like XNA or some bullshit I guess. That's great for 2D games and would help you learn some actual coding I guess.
>>
File: puppy piano.jpg (42 KB, 590x394) Image search: [Google]
puppy piano.jpg
42 KB, 590x394
>>321232361
I was under the impression 2d was cheaper.
You could replace the 2nd half of your post with 3d and it would still be the same thing.

>>321232510
Just to challenge myself.

>>321232596
I'm a self-taught musician, so the idea of self teaching programming doesn't run me away.

>>321232682
I want to port to other systems, if this does go well. Would RPG Maker and Game Maker be good for that?
>>
not OP but can you use UE4/Unity to make a game that is 2d with 3d objects on the map like the 2d ps1 rpgs?
>>
>>321230501
>coding.jpg
>It's html

heh
>>
>>321233067

>Just to challenge myself.
That's honestly not a very good reason to make a video game, unless you really want to make a shitty video game.

>I'm a self-taught musician, so the idea of self teaching programming doesn't run me away.
That's as bad as a self-taught artist.

>I want to port to other systems, if this does go well. Would RPG Maker and Game Maker be good for that?
I thought you said you were just making this to challenge yourself. It doesn't matter, it won't go well so you don't have to concern yourself with that.
>>
>>321233726
Be careful who you talk to.
>>
>>321230501
Anything from two weeks to three years. Depending on how advanced you want to be, what tools you are using and what other things you are doing (working for a living etc)

Two weeks would be a relatively small RPG made in RPG maker working 10 hours per day, every day.

I made a roguelike in javascript together with a friend. That took like a year, then six more months to build an AI that could play the game. But we didn't work all the time, more like 2-3 evenings per week, for a few hours each time. But javascript is a very fast language to work in, with for example C++ it would take twice as long.
>>
>>321230501
>how long would it take to make a 2d game?

this right here is a serious red flag which suggests you haven't the slightest idea how making a game works

2D games is such a wide spectrum you can't really give an average that has any meaning. if you're doing an RPG and you have any variety in the enemies, weapons, whatever, it will take at least a couple years from start to finish
>>
>>321230932
Ok legit basic game programmer.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT DECISION.

Do you want to make your own game 'engine' or use a pre-existing one.

If you just want to make a game in a relatively fast amount of time, I would just use UT4, there are extension mods for making 2d games. Making a 2d game engine with output on a screen can be quite difficult, but if your experienced with c/c++ it shouldn't be that hard.

THE SECOND HARDEST PART:

Learn how the fuck to draw, learn Photoshop, or some way to gain access to decent art assets. Your game will look like absolute shit if you have no decent art.
>>
>>321234882
That's exactly why I was asking. Because I don't have the slightest idea how making a game works.
>>
>>321234075
What does that mean?
>>
>>321235020
Oh boy.

Listen, maybe the best for you would be to find someone who wants to turn your ideas into program code. Like, you could be the game designer, and he'd be the actual programmer. Learning how to make a game AND how to program at the same time is probably a bit much.

Or just use like RPG maker or something. Same thing, the programming is already done for you.
>>
>>321233703
There are games made in HTML5 just tobh f@m
>>
>>321230501
Shouldn't take too long to make.
>>
>>321235372
Only because HTML5 involves javascript...
>>
>all those posts recommending ue4/unity
I'm done with this world.
>>
>>321235696
What would YOU recommend, dork
>>
>>321235879
>using unity or ue for 2d
Sure it's possible but why would you.
>>
>>321233439
Yeah. A "2.5d" game. Like a shmup or lots of indie platformers.

UE4 is good for that, and I'm sure Unity is too.
>>
>>321236042
You didn't answer the fucking question.
>>
what engine is best for making a 2D game with 3D models?
>>
>>321236042
Because building the engine from the ground up takes a considerable more amount of time and skill? Just turn off rigidbody2D and build your own motion/collision system (can still use colliders).

OP, the game is still going to take a long fucking time because of balance, art, sound, music, level design, and AI.
>>
>>321234963

He said he wants to make a game, only you AGDG types care about 'making your own engine' in order to impress yourselves. It's not even an option for people who actually care about making quality games within their lifetime.
>>
>>321230501
I am a music producer, I wouldnt mind contacting you and making tracks for your game.
>>
>>321235879
own proper engine
I can't just understand how games that barely overcome 4th gen possibilities graphics-wise require a shitton of RAM and CPU power. The rest for me is just complaining how the grass was greener and trees higher.
Hope you had a nice time.
>>
>>321236634
>>321236528
>>321235696
>>321236042

Look, I just want a 2d game, maybe with a 3d section like a minigame or dream sequence for humor. Is there an engine that doesn't "suck"?
>>
If you're more bothered about learning how to program, pick up C++ or something, find some libraries like opengl and spend months figuring out how to do anything and end up with half an engine and no game after 12-18 months.

If you actually want to make a game pick up one of the dozens of game making kits, learn the basics of how it works and have a working world up within hours.

Honestly if all you're looking to do is make a game and you're "an ideas guy" ignore anyone who is suggesting from programming anything from the bottom up, they're on the level of autists who would say that to learn a language the first thing you should do is write a compiler for it.
>>
>>321236042

> rapid prototyping/iterative development
> multiplatform support (incl. consoles, phones)
> asset pipeline
> strong community
> object/component system is easy to understand

Making a 2D game in a 3D engine is a simple matter of hiding one of the dimensions.

Caring about 'performance' or 'wastage' in this scenario shows you have little-to-no understanding of the medium we're discussing.
>>
>>321236408
>>321236528
For a 2d game I'd go with HTML5 (javascript with canvas). Nowadays it's fast enough
>>
>>321230501
are you gonna make a game in HTML? kek

If you want to get into coding use C & SDL, C++ & SFML, C# & XNA, Java & libgdx etc. look them up and see which one takes your fancy. C# or Java will be easier to learn if you have never coded. If you don't want to get into coding and want to get shit on by real programmers (n.b.: I am joking) then use Unity, Gamemaker etc.
>>
>>321236896
Gamemaker, Unity, UE4
>>
>>321236896
Unity or GameMaker.
Ignore anyone who complains about them and ignore anyone who suggests building your own engine.
>>
>>321230501
>css inside html
TRIGGERED
>>
>>321236997
No, I'm more just saying that you don't need it. 2d is so simple that an asset pipeline for example doesn't help you. If you suggest something like RPG maker, where the actual game engine is already there, you'd be right.
>>
>>321237512
Inline styles are okay if it's a one time thing.
>>
>>321237097
>>321237512
The picture was like the 2nd result from Google. I didn't know it was going to be so triggering.

>>321237214
Thank you.
>>
>>321236859
>I can't just understand how games that barely overcome 4th gen possibilities graphics-wise require a shitton of RAM and CPU power.
Because using stuff like unity causes massive overhead. People don't care about overhead these days because they never had to try to fit their code into 64kb.
>>
I want to make a game too!
All I know is ActionScript3
>>
>>321230501

>>vg/agdg

but since you're just doing 2D go with Game Maker
>>
>>321230501
>Realistically, how long would it take to make a 2d game?
You are fucken retarded, son. That question alone is beyond retarded.
>I'm an idea's guy
Ye I'm sure everyone is baffled by your stunning ideas
>>
>>321237819
>The picture was like the 2nd result from Google. I didn't know it was going to be so triggering.
Okay well maybe you should at least learn a little bit about programming before embarking on this journey.
>>
>>321230501
No experience at all?
3 years

Have fun.
>>
>>321238025
this.

people who shit on gamemaker either haven't ever made a game or haven't tried gamemaker since like 5 years ago.

the current version can do pretty much anything you want in 2D as long as you completely ignore the drag n drop shit and learn the code. GML is like a simple version of C++ it's really easy
>>
>>321236996
I wrote a compiler and now speak fluent Cantonese.
>>
>>321238368

I'm the one you replied to, and I shit on GameMaker all the time,

For 2D I do C++/SDL

but for OPs needs, GameMaker will do him fine.
>>
>>321234963
>I would just use UT4, there are extension mods for making 2d games
Lol that's like eating a soup with just a stick. Even Unity got better 2d support than UT4.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.