[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Won't get the licensing for Japanese dub because it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 15
File: 1450872131391.png (323 KB, 647x830) Image search: [Google]
1450872131391.png
323 KB, 647x830
>Won't get the licensing for Japanese dub because it's "too expensive"
>hires English "voice actors"
>the amount of sales they just lost would've easily covered the licensing fee

Can somebody explain to me why companies do this?
>>
>>321226793
Because weeaboos that boycott games over muh Japanese voice actors are the loud minority, and for the most part English VAs are just as good.
>>
You just think Japanese dubs are good because you can't understand what the fuck are they saying.
I wish Freedom Wars had dual audio because I can't understand half the shit that comes out of my party members' mouths and the PAs don't have subtitles.
It's shit.
>>
>>321226793
Because no one likes weeaboos, they are less than human, so it's become a sport to bash them. Don't you find it funny anon? Most of us do.
>>
>>321226793
>>the amount of sales they just lost would've easily covered the licensing fee

You're not serious, are you?
>>
>>321226793
>>321227192
Not only can not be understand, spoken japanese is basically ear rape and I still wonder why weebs can put up with all that screeching.
I'd rather listen to nails on chalkboard.
>>
>>321226793
>weebs getting assblasted because MUH MOONSPEAK

Stop being fags, you can't even speak Japanese.
>>
>>321226793
The English dub probably helps the sales a lot more than you believe and the crowd of who will actually not buy a game for not having subs is probably not that large.
>>
File: 1450691652408.jpg (21 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1450691652408.jpg
21 KB, 300x200
>the amount of sales they just lost
HOL UP HOL UP
I'm tired of weebs thinking they've have more power than they actually do because they post in this 4chan echo chamber. It's gonna flop but that has nothing to do with it being dub only it's because no one fucking cared
>>
I'm buying it, I've never given a shit about dubs or subs.
>>
>>321227192
lol says the guy who doesn't know japanese. You know nothing.
>>
Maybe Bamco should release a "Learn Basic Japanese featuring lolis and shotas" game and it may sell.

Heck, they could bundle it with every game they want to release to the west.
>>
>>321226793
You're retarded. Subs are usually seen as lazy, same way most people these days won't even consider a game without voice acting at all.
>>
Whyre literal weebs the most assblasted, vocal, and hypocritical crowd that refuse to buy games they want for the most petty reasons?
>>
>>321231087
Autism, probably.
>>
>dumb weebs whining about the absence of a language they don't even understand.

What else is knew? You fagboys are always crying about this.
>>
>>321231087
Because it is not Metal Gear.
>>
>Weebs that care more about ebin waifus and japanese voice acting than quality videogames

Platinum games often have awful voice acting. Do I care at all? No.
>>
>>321227192
here's the thing
if i had to choose between shitty terrible dub voice acting, and shitty terrible original voice acting, i might as well go with the original because it'll at least be more accurate
>>
>>321229465

Anon, not knowing Japanese is only a valid point when you're agreeing with him. Saying that the Japanese track is bad without knowing Japanese is okay!

Nevermind that the number of people who know both English and Japanese and agree that Japanese tracks (by definition, dubs are things done in post-production, so the Japanese voice track is not a dub) and English dubs of Japanese media are anywhere near equal in quality is basically fucking zero, that the anti-dub crowd is the one with the actual points, and that all the pro-dub crowd can ever do is say "nuh-uh!" because they don't know shit.

cont
>>
>>321232061

>What fucking points?

1. Anime is originally written in Japanese. If you were to take a list of qualities used to describe different types of languages, and you were to compare English and Japanese, they would have basically no common ground. There's also the massive cultural differences, as well as the parts of the mouth that they're spoken from. Even in the hands of the best translators, when translating from Japanese to English, a lot gets lost in translation. Even more gets lost when you don't include the original audio. Ideally, you'd know Japanese, but the second best thing is to have the Japanese track.

2. The talent pool for dubs is tiny compared to Japanese tracks. You hear the same ten or so voice actors voicing every major character in every work ever for the past fifteen years. When it's not those ten or so people, they're complete amateurs who should be practicing at class, not getting a paycheck.

3. The dubbing industry is staffed by people who have no business getting paid for their line of work. Furthermore, their budget is tiny. Lastly, they use b-rated production methods. Every last aspect of dub production, from promotion down to scheduling, is piss cheap, and often seems like an undergrad project. Comparatively, the Japanese industry uses proper production methods.

4. The idea that you can't hear anything unless you're a fluent speaker is bullshit. If this were true, it would be basically impossible to learn a foreign tongue, especially from scratch, as people in the past sometimes had to. Your ears acclimate themselves to their sounds of the language after a while of being frequently exposed. Even before I started learning, I could pick out bad voice acting in nukige and those rare anime productions (i.e. AKB0048), as could other people who didn't speak Japanese.
>>
Vita physical when?
>>
>>321231851
Look at the audience for neptunia, absolute shit gameplay but they eat it up due to waifus.
>>
It's so they can culturalize the script to reflect the hottest American memes and social issues without needlessly having to consider the tone in the original voiceover.
>>
>the amount of sales they just lost
lol
>>
File: thefuckouttahere.jpg (30 KB, 596x693) Image search: [Google]
thefuckouttahere.jpg
30 KB, 596x693
>>321228059
This goddamn
All of you self righteous lardlords parading about how a couple hundred of people refusing to buy a game because of some extremely fickle reason is going to get across to the developers and publishers that they need to do a better job.
Like PLEASE that isn't how business works you mong they'll just not bother next time
>>
File: 1442078009177.jpg (43 KB, 583x344) Image search: [Google]
1442078009177.jpg
43 KB, 583x344
Yet another reason Monster Hunter is superior to God Eater

They keep all of the original voices in localizations
>>
>>321227192
>You just think Japanese dubs are good because you can't understand what the fuck are they saying.
So?
We think English dubs are shit because we CAN understand what the fuck they are saying. It's a lot more difficult to tell when the acting is shit when it's in a foreign language. Even if a native speaker told you "These guys sound terrible" it wouldn't impact whether you liked or disliked their acting based on sound alone.
>>
To be honest the first GE was dub only too so they announcement is not that surprising. Would have been mad if something like Odin Sphere Leifthrasir lost the jap voices, though.
>>
>>321229378
this,fuck im just fucking glad i get to play it i was thinking namco was never going to release it here
>>
Japs have like 4 voice archtypes. I don't understand how you can listen to the same VA's over and over again.

Burst's voice acting was fine.
>>
>>321233640
The expectations for JP audio were present because Namco's recent localizations also had JP audio available.
>>
>>321233141
Especially since people like me will buy it now just to spite the angry weebs
>>
"I'M GONNA WATCH BUGGARALLY WHEN I GET HOME!"

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1296096839236.jpg (41 KB, 230x192) Image search: [Google]
1296096839236.jpg
41 KB, 230x192
>Unironically calling people weeaboos
>On 4chan
>In a thread about an anime monster hunting game no less

I will never understand how people can be so fucking retarded.
>>
File: average dub defender.png (11 KB, 474x129) Image search: [Google]
average dub defender.png
11 KB, 474x129
I actually hoped a thread on this would come up after checking out the comments section of that gematsu article. That one The Phantom Killer guy responding to every single anti-dubs comment in his incredibly broken English with random words capitalized was just hilarious to me.

Too bad like half of his comments have been deleted.
>>
Man, how the fuck cares? I just want to kill giant things and Monster Hunter, SSD, FW, and Toukiden no longer are enough to satiate this thirst.
>>
>>321228059
I don't fully agree with you, but you posted super milk chan so I don't give a fuck take this (You)
>>
>>321234197
There's a vast difference between casually watching some anime and being a weeb
And I assure you that most of us are the former
>>
>>321228059

You know who does care? The kinds of people who won't buy because it's dub-only.
>>
File: ashley williams.jpg (78 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
ashley williams.jpg
78 KB, 450x450
>know japanese
>voices are still shit in god eater
>replace with english voices
>they are still shit

Pretty accurate localization.
>>
>>321226793
Do you have anything to back that claim?
>>
>>321234197
Do you know what a weeaboo used to mean before you fags threw the word everywhere to make it mean "japanese stuff i dont like"?
>>
File: normie uprising pizza.png (206 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
normie uprising pizza.png
206 KB, 480x368
>>321234197
#NORMIE_UPRISING
>>
I feel every game that gets localized seems to have a caveat nowadays.

>game comes out
>oh boy
>it has no dual audio and only ENG VA

>game comes out
>oh boy
>they censored several things from the game

>game comes out
>oh boy
>the translation is garbage (see SAO)

Seriously, I'm fine with these games coming out but did someone use a fucking monkey's paw for this shit or something?
>>
File: Alisa.jpg (73 KB, 748x1000) Image search: [Google]
Alisa.jpg
73 KB, 748x1000
Burst's voice acting was okay aside from how the voice direction changed the whole feel of Alisa's character, from serious yet intense to bitchingly arrogant.

Usually dubs lower the pitches of female characters' voices, not raises them.

Compare Maaya Sakamoto

https://youtu.be/k-0PCilbtc8?t=9m53s

to Kate Higgins

https://youtu.be/dyNPsagXX-Y?t=58s

Higgins is fine, but the character is just plain different.
>>
>>321234426
Right and preferring the original voices makes you a weeb huh?

This word has lost all meaning. I could go to a different thread right now, link to your post, and say "This guy watches anime" and I bet at least one person would legitimately call you a weeaboo.
>>
You dont speak japanese so stop complaining moron's.
>>
>>321226793

Delusion at its finest.
>>
>>321227192
Look at Persona 3 dub

That was worse tan Ranma 1/2
>>
>>321234802
Refusing to buy a game because it doesn't have Japanese voices is grounds to call someone a weeaboo, yes
>>
Why the fuck do they need to pay to use their own voice acting?
Don't they own their own game?
>>
File: 1418047659816.jpg (36 KB, 198x228) Image search: [Google]
1418047659816.jpg
36 KB, 198x228
>>321234797
>Usually dubs lower the pitches of female characters' voices, not raises them.
What gets me is that most people who don't speak Japanese fail to understand how ear-grating those stupidly high piched moe voices are. They only notice when they have to hear it in their own language.
>>
>>321235015
contracts signed with the voice actors are limited by region, in order to use their voices in another region's version of the game they need to pay further licensing fees which tend to be expensive.
>>
>>321235015
Depending on the contract negotiated, the voice track may not be the property of the game developer/publisher, but the property of the recording studio/talent agency/actor
>>
>>321235418
>>321235158
To add to this, the owners may not infrequently demand some stupidly high license fee for overseas use of the voices and refuse to budge on it, because they completely fail to understand the market or because they're just being assholes.
>>
>>321235757
Or xenophobic as hell so they pratically bar small publishers from gettin g them voices, heres looking at you falcom
>>
>>321226793
You don't seem to understand how the Japanese VA industry works. "Too expensive" might mean "we're being cheap." It might also mean "it would literally cost us millions of dollars to license the Japanese voices."
There are also cases where it is outright impossible to use the Japanese voice overseas.
You're wasting effort boycotting games for that. You would be better off supporting PC ports since that's an open platform where undubbing is easy.
>>
>>321235996
Falcom doesn't hire any VAs. All the voice acting in their games is done by Chara-Ani.
>>
>>321234587
>Kato Emiri
>bad
>Kaji Yuki
>bad
>Yuuki fucking Aoi
>bad
>>
>It's just going to be pure shit
What did he mean by this? I'm being honest here
>>
>>321235996
If it was up to Falcom, all if their games would have Japanese voices overseas. It's not, though. Chara-Ani does their licensing and they control the rights.
>>
>>321227192
But I do know Japanese famalam. Languages aren't that hard to learn. English isn't even my first language.
>>321227483
It actually soundss pretty good to me. Languages I can't stand hearing are French and Spanish.
>>
File: 1396052518840.jpg (31 KB, 400x327) Image search: [Google]
1396052518840.jpg
31 KB, 400x327
>>321226793
Fuck off you disgusting weeaboo
>>
>>321237601
My brother, French is fucking awful. Hell, I can read it just fine but listening to it is both annoying and difficult. Japango is comfy as fuck to listen to, and with all the games and anime I've consumed it wasn't hard to get into radio shows and shit.
>>
>>321226793
You forgot to say that they announced today that they're bringing over the latest SAO game with JP voices.
>>
>a company has done their own market research into an area and has found that it isn't economically viable to do X
>random anonymous user on the internet knows X would be better for them
>they haven't done any research
>they haven't looked at the markets
>they might not have even asked any one else
>but they know from what they want that implementing X would have been financially successful for the company

simply fucking ebin.
>>
>>321226793
lol
>>
>>321234197
>4CHAN WAS BASED OFF A JAPANESE WEBSITE
>THEREFORE IT'S WEEABOO

2ch is an online forum, which is a concept invented in America / Britain, does that make 2ch Ameriboo / Britboo?
>>
>>321237601
Hey, as a guy whose native language is spanish, I find that comment offensive.
>>
>>321226793
nobody except the fucking weeaboo faggots give two fucks about Japanese voice acting
>>
OP, you picked the wrong series to complain about dub only shit. GE fans waited long enough for this that they rather take a shit dub than no games at all.

You should only complain IF >>321233640 actually happens cause thats the fucking series with Dual Audio in the localization.
>>
>>321234924
I think you're missing the point. The problem here is not the "Japanese" part but the "original". I wouldn't buy something that doesn't have the original audio, it's as simple as that.
>>
File: 1449096527067.png (60 KB, 303x304) Image search: [Google]
1449096527067.png
60 KB, 303x304
>>321233857
>I don't understand how you can listen to the same VA's over and over again
But that's the same for english dubs.
>>
>>321239012
No offense senpai I just don't like the sound of it. Bet you also have languages you don't like.
>>
>>321239952
English, its rules have too many exceptions.
>>
>people actually prefer dubs
These people must all be americans, right?
>>
File: cropped_for_lewd.png (701 KB, 926x414) Image search: [Google]
cropped_for_lewd.png
701 KB, 926x414
>>321226793
>YFW Yakuza 0 gets English dubs with the 1 cast only
How mad would you get from a scale from 1 to 10?
>>
>>321240240
I'm a former sub elitist who got sick of Japanese voice acting, fuck what my nationality has to do with it.
>>
File: 3434355.jpg (42 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
3434355.jpg
42 KB, 499x500
>>321240240
They can't read subtitles
>>
>>321240456
Sure and I'm the queen of england.
>>
>>321226793
Will the same apply on PC? Couldn't you simply use a VPN to buy the Japanese version or pirate the Japanese voice track?
>>
>>321240717
Hello, your highness. Enjoying your morning tea?
>>
>>321227028
If you play weeaboo games you might as well play them properly.
>>

>I base this on absolutely nothing.
>>
>>321240240
Yes.

The whole dub thing is mostly an American problem.
>>
>>321240991
If you're gonna go there post your copy of God Eater 2 or Ressurection. Who gives a shit about dialogue in a boss hunt?
>>
>>321241184
I don't play such games. I'm merely saying if you play weeaboo shit you might as well play it the way they're meant to be played.
>>
File: Goro_Majima.jpg (58 KB, 549x309) Image search: [Google]
Goro_Majima.jpg
58 KB, 549x309
>>321240410
Considering the subtitles are shit anyways in that they still reflect the script changes and acting from 1. It would matter very little if they bring back I LOVE SHOTA and Luke Majima but the amount of time and money they burnt putting in english voices the first time seems to have deterred them quite enough they won't bother and it's not even an issue.
If they were insane enough to put in english voices the amount of pushbacks would easily rival the first game in how long it took from announcement to release.
5 took a large chunk of time as it is.
>>
>>321240850
there is no Japanese version of the PC game, it would only have English dub.
>>
>>321241291
That's fucking retarded. Why should I have to learn a language just to play a video game? The whole outcry for Japanese voices is stupid because people who understand Japanese would have imported it ages ago.
>>
>>321241559
>Why should I have to learn a language just to play a video game?
Have you heard of subtitles?

They're fairly common in the civilised world.
>>
>>321241559
>people who understand Japanese would have imported it ages ago.
>no PC releases until now
Nothing to import
>>
>>321240107
This is why I personally love English. You can basically just bullshit a sentence based on how it would sound in a proper conversation. Are you skipping from one topic to the next with only some vague relation? Slap a semicolon in there.

Shit's great. Although, I'd imagine it would be fucking bullshit to try to learn as a second language. The only way to get a feel for it is to be surrounded by it and its myriad accent variations.
>>
>>321226793
lol no it wouldn't
>>
>>321226793
because you'll just buy the PC port and get the Japanese language mod anyway.
>>
>>321241625
And when I'm playing a boss hunt, I'm not going to bother reading subtitles, so they may as well speak English during gameplay. As for cutscenes, these games aren't played for their story.

Why should I care about the weaboo experience. Most of us just want to play this game that's been released in Japan ages ago.

>>321241893
Anyone who was interested in God Eater would have owned a Vita in the first place. Also, you can emulate 2 via PPSSPP.
>>
>>321241381
5 didn't take 3 years from start to finish translating.
We're talking a year at most with a very small Xseed -sized team.
Sega axed their internal translation team around the announcement of Ishin and abandoned the franchise in the west.
Thanks to a fuckload of petition, Operation Rainfall and a leadershift, we got what we wanted.
The only question now is: For how long?
If you pirated Yakuza 5, you're part of the problem.
>>
Just mod that shit back in.
>>
>>321226793
im sure the JP dub actors cost way WAY more than fucking troy baker and the other "famous" VA's over here.

in jap land, its a legit thing and they are respected like other people in their tier of work. not like in the US
>>
>>321241971
>Although, I'd imagine it would be fucking bullshit to try to learn as a second language. The only way to get a feel for it is to be surrounded by it and its myriad accent variations.
Which is absolutely no issue, since you have plenty of opportunities for practice due to all kinds of English media, websites, etc. being freely accessible. Also, the grammar is fairly simple. The exceptions are remembered naturally over time.
>>
>>321227192

Funnily enough, I like Jap dub specifically because I can't understand them. When they speak English, I notice all the problems in VA, like awful pacing or breaks between dialog. It's very rare for a game to have VA pacing as good as cartoon.

So with all that said, I even like giberush voice overs, like Animal Crossing talk or Midna from TP; you get the gist of emotions without all the language problems of VA.
>>
>>321242174
With what audio files you moron? You can't get them onto the PC since they're on Vita and PS4 cartridges/discs
>>
>>321242290
They have to re-negotiate the contracts for voices since they're all managed by an agency. English VAs "Lend" their voices to the game without any direct credits to get around union payment fees.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.