[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain the appeal of turn based RPGs to me.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
Explain the appeal of turn based RPGs to me.
>>
>easy gameplay allows you to chill out and fully appreciate the story
>the pleasure of making numbers go up
>>
chess
>>
File: 1317990590740.jpg (94 KB, 460x657) Image search: [Google]
1317990590740.jpg
94 KB, 460x657
Last one I played was Lost Odyssey. Took me an entire year to beat the game.

Not because it was hard mind you. It took me a year because it was the most boring game I've ever played. Couldn't play a lot of it at a time. Would make me feel dirty for wasting my time but I feel the need to beat every game I buy.

Never touched another turn based RPG since.
>>
When done well it gives you the illusion of watching a well laid plan coming together.
>>
>>321222252
Also
>simple to design, cheap to make
>>
>turn-based
>easy
Try beating Tales of Maj'Eyal then
>>
They're relaxing to play. Which is why I hate the ATB system many use. I just want to relax and get cozy when I plan an RPG, think about my moves then execute.
>>
>>321221828

i dont know, i just love turnbased games like

Heroes of might and magic
Fire emblem
project x zone

it just feels so comfy and awesome, it gives you more time to appreciate the details of the game
>>
Good ones have an emphasis on strategy and set-ups, and emphasize builds much more than any ARPG. Even ones like Bravely Default are satisfying when you figure out your foe's rhythm, and how to work around it.
>>
>>321222701
Tome is a garbage RL. Terrible level generation.
>>
>>321221828
Compared to real time gameplay, it makes you think differently about situations.
>>
>>321223028
Go back to your casual dcss then
>>
Time division in order to control multiple characters.

>you will never be a spider playing a 4 player action game by yourself
>>
>>321223307
DCSS has meh level gen
>>
They're fun.
>>
>>321221828
you don't have to stress out playing it
>>
Those proportions are weird.
>>
>>321224401
Welcome to Dragon's Crown.
>>
>>321223991
>muh legs
>>
>>321221828
Depends
Tactical RPG are just good, especiallyw hen you have an objective other than just "kill all the enemies"
>>
Can someone recommend me a decent turn based RPG to get into if I'm usually one to play action games
>>
>>321225181
purely turn based you have Atelier
but play the ones from the Dusk series, I find the gameplay more enjoyable
>>
>>321221828
It usually helps keep the focus on the role-playing, or non-combat related decision-making, by not forcing you to focus on fine tuning your reflexes. It just integrates better with the pacing required in having non-combat related choices to think about and make throughout the game.
>>
>>321222502
Eat a dick.
>>
>>321222502
Cat owners are the fedora of pet owners
>>
File: hqdefault-1.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault-1.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>321221828
Take pleasure in planning your attack and seeing a positive outcome, more cerebral and demands multitasking skills to obtain the maximal outcome providing the battle system is good.

Nobody complain's about chess, if its not for you stick to snakes and ladders.
>>
>>321221828
why? why does it matter. you dont like them and other people do.
grow up.
>>
>>321226250
yeah, sure is video games in your post
>>
>>321221828
Some turn based games differ, but most use the turn based format as a foundation to put other mechanics in. These mechanics carry the game play and are where the games usually get their appeal.

For a turned based RPG to be enjoyable, it has to find a way to make the supplementary mechanics interesting. X-com has a whole system of grid based combat, ranged attacks, personal investment into soldiers just to name a few.

Final Fantasy has an emphasis on graphic fidelity, which were early 2000 RPGs' focus of choice in general as well. The turn based combat allowed for more focus on world building and graphics, which is the reason why new FF games feel outdated despite their graphics being quite great. Good graphics are pretty common nowadays and are less of a feat to accomplish.

Story is another appeal, but quite frankly turned-based, and JRPGs especially, have developed their own subset of cliches and tropes that render a lot of the stories pretty stale (fighting god, power of friendship, etc). I would have mentioned story with FF, but quite frankly the series has fallen off a bit with story. I recently played Dragon Quest V and though a bit cliched, I thought the game's story was very well done. There are side stories and characters that while part of the story, are disconnected from the main objective of the story- so not everything is connected with the main antagonist which a lot of modern JRPGS fail to accomplish. Many just end up creating their stories to revolve around the main characters to a point of unbelievablility. But just my thoughts so take it with salt.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.