[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>fainted party members receive no exp Why so, didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: rocky.jpg (184 KB, 1024x791) Image search: [Google]
rocky.jpg
184 KB, 1024x791
>fainted party members receive no exp
Why so, didn't they fight just as hard? Just because they passed out it means they forgot everything, that they can't learn anything at all if they don't win? Why do sleeping characters receive experience points then? Who invented this bullshit rule?
>>
Yeah knocked out characters should earn more xp. They went past their limit and fainted because of it.
>>
>>321207195
They should earn just as much.
>>
>>321207078
in RL, fainting fucks you up and it isnt healthy. you dont get stronger from exerting so hard you faint, its overtraining
>>
It's a punishment for being shit at the videogame
>>
>EXP is gained from individual kills.
>Healer ends up 50 levels behind everyone.
>>
Experience points are an archaic and nonsensical system anyways. I dont understand why games nowadays still use such a shit system for character growth
>>
>>321208419
What do you prefer?
>>
>>321208419
Oh yeah? How are NPC companions suppose to work then?

Do they follow you exactly as you move? Replicating your movement?

Or do they teleport to your position if you run too far away? They dont have same speed so how are they suppose to follow you without being left behind?
>>
>>321208419
What the fuck would you suggest then?
>>
>>321208419
Introduce me to a better system than smartass or are you just "talk" like 99% of /v/ users. Retarded american lardass.
>>
>>321208808
Found the eurotrash
>>
>>321208419
You are fucking retarded.
EXP has been a thing for so long because it's a great system. Although, having mechanics that supplement EXP is one step closer to the perfect level up system.
>>
File: 1443040391673.png (15 KB, 504x432) Image search: [Google]
1443040391673.png
15 KB, 504x432
>>321208872
Found the burger.
>>
File: 1445357382555.png (294 KB, 500x533) Image search: [Google]
1445357382555.png
294 KB, 500x533
>XP goes to the party member who makes the kill
>you're playing as a healer
>>
File: 1420744503615.png (307 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1420744503615.png
307 KB, 500x500
>You gain experience from winning
>Not from losing
>>
>>321208047
often real athletes who get knocked out don't even remember the fight actually
>>
File: reeeee.png (80 KB, 167x235) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.png
80 KB, 167x235
>Defeat enemy
>New enemies appear after defeating the first enemy
>Defeat them
>New enemies appear
>Defeat them
>New enemies appear
>Run out of mana
>Talk/escape
>You still get the exp from the former fights.
>Take 2 steps
>Random encounter
>"The enemies want your blood"
>Instakill moves and ailments
>Lose my shit and die
>>
File: doom.jpg (140 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
140 KB, 1024x768
>>321208419
I kinda agree. An interesting system would be one without the concept of exp at all: characters would be stronger based on equipment alone. At most they should be able to learn techniques.

IRL professional fighters don't become more physically stronger by fighting, but by working out. But it's not so simple: to improve in a sensible time they use special diets and suplements, not that different from itens in games. Considering level 1 characters in any game already have some proficiency in combat (i.e Crono from Chrono Trigger), they shouldn't become stronger from just fighting if they already have the habit to physically exercise. Sure they would have more skill to damage enemies better, but they shouldn't be able to endure more punishment because of that. Is it because they learn to be hit like irl fighters who can skillfully take punches to the face not to pass out?

Character modifiers, like comparatively higher strength or speed should be there mirroring the character's physique, but better stats coming from better gear and better fighting from techs alone would be neat.
>>
>>321209829
>IRL professional fighters don't become more physically stronger by fighting

This is wrong, fighting is one of the most stamina draining activities you can be in.

But I will agree that 80% of the condition and stamina is gained through running and jogging.

>Source: my 2 wins 1 loss MMA fighter
>>
>>321210585
Did you ever get a boner during a fight?
>>
>>321210729
No I did not what the hell is wrong with you, I took my time to give you a small insight of my experience and you respond in such ways?
>>
GET UP YOU SON OF A BITCH
>>
File: 1445876233444.jpg (28 KB, 389x296) Image search: [Google]
1445876233444.jpg
28 KB, 389x296
>>321211049
I don't understand, did i say something inappropriate? It's a legit question.
>>
>>321207078
penalty for dying
git gud
>>
>Main character is always forced in the party
I hate this because I can't distribute exp evenly

>If main character dies, it's game over
Then what the fuck is the point of teaching revive skills to other characters?

>these two mechanics at the same time
Fuck off Persona 3.
>>
>>321210585
When you're in a shower after a fight did you ever make out with your opponent?
>>
>>321209829
Doomguy is a nice example. He is the same dude through out the game, what changes is the stronger guns he gets, the armor he can find and, most of all, the player's skill.

I imagine a tech system on an rpg without levels could go like a perk tree. Using "punch" x times would unlock other kinds of punches and eventually combos that could evolve until certain points. Having different used techs could even unlock mixed ones and that would dictate the overall style the player likes better. Why have tons of techniques you never use, anyway? Mages are the biggest offenders in that aspect.
>>
>>321208419
Lazy design.
>>
>>321211734
In Persona it's stupid but in SMT it makes sense.
>>
>>321207078
>what is concussion and brain injuries
>>
>>321209829
They don't get physically stronger, but they do gain experience in fighting, and from that experience they become better fighters

This is pretty simple logic.
>>
>>321207078
Let me tell you something you already know, the world ain't no sunshine and rainbows
It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how though you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it
You me and nobody is gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit
Is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward that's how winning is done
Now if you know what's you worth then go out there and get what you're worth but you gotta be willing to take the hits and not pointing fingers saying you ain't what you wanna be because of him or her or anybody.
Cowards do that and that ain't you, you're better than that.
>>
>>321208808
>Random american insult out of nowhere

what third world shitstain are you from that makes you feel so insecure, anon?
>>
>>321208905
Actually the traditional level-xp system is a fairly new 'invention' that came with the mainstream success of WoW and now every game uses it. Before that, mmorpgs/muds would use a skill system, where as you had a list of like 200 skills and you'd improve them by usage, which would ultimatively define your character as opposed to grinding xp off mobs.
>>
>>321217572
Fucking DnD used an XP system and it predates WoW, and looking it up it looks like the first MUD was a game about getting enough experience points to become a wizard.
>>
>>321216016
Fuck that movie had some great speeches.

I used to not really care about the series when I was younger but as an adult all of the movies have hugely inspirational shit going on in them that can apply to anything.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.