[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets have a good hard look at why the Wii U failed and how the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 22
File: wii_u_iwata.jpg (240 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_iwata.jpg
240 KB, 960x720
Lets have a good hard look at why the Wii U failed and how the NX can avoid these problems.

So I ask you /v/... what went wrong?
>>
>>321203709
>what went wrong?
everything
>>
It released early with no flagship launch titles and was underpowered compared to the xbone and ps4.
>>
>>321203709
Didn't really fail, just underpreformed. Could've been worse, could've been better.

The reason for this is no third party development. A Nintendo console for Nintendo games, nothing else really. Also, it needed to ship with a killer app; imagine if they shipped it with something like Mario Maker, or Splatoon, or Star Fox Zero.

If the new LoZ game comes out with the NX, that may do it. But I think it needs three good games, one with some multiplayer aspect, to launch with it to do really well.
>>
>>321203709 (OP) #

It was just a Wii without the cool shit.
>>
>>321203709
The Wii U launch didn't please fucking anyone

Nintendo fans were let down by the launch line up (Nintendo Land wasn't bad, but G&W was lousy and we got two NSMB games in the same year) and drought immediately afterwards.

"Core" gamers were let down by the fact that all the third party games coming were already a year old by then.

and Casuals still don't know what the fuck it is

All they have to do with the NX is say "This is our system, these are the games for it" and it'll be in better shape than the Wii U
>>
>>321203709
Too much dependency on the Wii's success. If it didn't focus on recapturing that, the "Wii U (should have been named something different)" would have been much more successful. More 3rd party support from companies like EA or Activision would have helped too.
>>
>>321204120
>>321204213
I have to admit, if it goes for the cartridge based system, I think it'll be fucked in terms of third party support unless it does gangbusters at launch.

Most games are on discs (or digital), so why would a third party go the extra mile and make a cart, too?

Also, if it comes out ANYTIME soon, it could be fucked. Releasing a console outside of the new generation timeline could be a big fuckup, but I'm not sure.
>>
Calling it the Wii U was a major mistake that confused a lot of potential buyers into thinking it was just an overpriced peripheral instead of a new console.
Like all post-SNES Nintendo consoles, they struggled to gain lasting 3rd party support, and Nintendo didn't support it enough with good 1st party software even though they tried.
>>
>>321203923
>>321204120
>>321204752
Pretty much all of these.
>>
Nintendo should follow Sega's lead and just drop out of the console race. It's biggest strength is in it's games and that's what they should focus on. Imagine playing LoZ on a PS4 or XB1.
>>
>>321203709
Thankfully I don't think there's any way for the NX to not fail. Nintendo as a whole has become the joke of the industry. Kids barely even give a damn about them. They churn out Mario after Mario, they disregard what fans and people in general actually want, their online infrastructure is a godawful mess, NoA being NoA. I don't see the NX selling anywhere near 2 million its first year let alone the 20 million Nintendo expects it to sell. At this point I'd rather they just go out of business and let their franchises completely die so I don't have to see the games I loved be dragged through the mud any longer.
>>
Make the controller an actual portable

Make the controller actually look sexy and not like a shitty accessory
>>
>>321203709
Realistically, can Nintendo bring the third parties back with the NX?
>>
we're alive
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 640x639
It didn't have squids at launch
>>
Not naming it Wii something, so retards don't confuse it.
>>
File: 1409236067586.jpg (68 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
1409236067586.jpg
68 KB, 473x480
>>321203709
>Nintendo tried to capture the casual audience again like with the Wii, even though that audience jumped to mobile and are never coming back.
>Nintendo strained Third Party relationships back with the 64 & Gamecube and still haven't done much to remedy them.
>In addition, underpowered hardware meant Third Parties couldn't port their next gen games to the Wii U. Third party support in 2012/2013, when the 7th gen consoles were still relevant, also dropped off quickly because the people buying the Wii U at launch (Nintendo fans/hardcore gamers) either weren't interested in Third Party games or already had a console that could play them.
>Third Party companies also putting in halfhearted efforts for their Wii U support (e.g. EA selling a 8 month old port of Mass Effect 3 for $60) also didn't help.
>Those yearly Destiny and Assassins Creed rehashes may be shit, but they're what sell consoles to mainstream casual audience/dudebros.
>With no Third Party support, the mainstream casual audience/dudebros had no incentive to buy the console. The only people who bought Wii U were dedicated gamers and Nintendo fans, who don't make up a huge marketshare. There's a reason The Wii U has only sold 10 million but has one of the best attach rates in history.
>Very little software made good use of the Gamepad, the console's main gimmick and selling point
>Marketing was fucking awful. The Wii U is a terrible name and Nintendo probably lost a million sales on brand confusion alone.
>Launch lineup was lackluster. Huge software drought throughout the first half of 2013 gave people no incentive to buy one.

And that's why the Wii U failed.

[cont. fuck the word limit]
>>
>>321203709
Definitely a weak launch that it never really recovered from.

Third party support was either nonexistant, or a lazy port of multiplats arriving a year or two after other systems.

I still think the Gamepad is a good idea if it is well utilized, but third party devs mostly don't feel like it, so it's probably best abandoned.
>>
>>321203709
I blame "journalists" and people on the internet calling it dead before even a year had passed.
>>
File: yokai.gif (638 KB, 249x237) Image search: [Google]
yokai.gif
638 KB, 249x237
MARKETING

JUST

MARKETING

Seriously, if you have such a unique, potentially great idea for a console, don't market it like it's a fucking Wii peripheral. Make it clear it's a new experience. Make your ads edgy and apealing, not some family enjoying Mario Kart. Families can already play mario kart on the fucking Wii, what's so different this time?

Maybe they should have just called it the Wii 2. hOW HARD WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN.
>>
>>321205074
[cont]
For the NX, they obviously they need to fix their relationship with Third Parties and get Western support on the system alongside some decent marketing. The problem with the NX is it'll be launching in the middle of a console generation. The PS4 has already cemented itself as the top selling console of the generation and I doubt the NX will be able to change that. All the casuals/dudebros that want to play the latest Western AAA games most likely already own a PS4, so it's going to be a huge challenge for Nintendo to convince these people to buy an NX. They can differentiate themselves with a strong First Party lineup (Zelda U at launch is looking pretty attractive) alongside a new gimmick, but even then I'm not sure if that'll be enough to convince people to buy another console
>>
>>321204976
Not if they treat them the same way they did with Wii U. They all fucking jumped ship with the Wii U in the beginning when they saw what a bitch it would be to work with Nintendo and the devkits provided were dog shit as well with barebones instructions.
>>
>>321204752
didn't the game-cube have decent 3rd party support?
>>
>>321204120
>no metroid
>no f zero
>no game that utilized the touch screen
>no zelda
>no star fox

Shit, I wonder why it failed.
>>
>>321204976

The only way Nintendo is going to win over the third parties is to neuter their own content.

Every 3 months Nintendo release an AAA title of their own. These cannibalize the shit out of other titles.

Imagine if Sony released an Uncharted every 3 months, the effect that'd have on other companies' sales.
>>
>>321204923
Money they get from consoles/handhelds is what allows them to make good games though
>>
>>321203709
NX already failed. PS4 dominance is too big so nobody will even bother making games for a console that will fail or at best if a miracle happens still not be anywhere near the sales of ps4.
>>
The NX needs to be as powerful as the PS4 and X1 to get get thrid parties to even consider porting their engines to it.
It need to have an online service comparable to PSN and XBLive
It needs to have the record/streaming/app features the other two have (honestly this will probably come free if they are using the same AMD apu as the others)
Nintendo need to be as easy to work with as Sony and MS, part of the reason Sony have perfomed so well this gen is because the left their stone faced glorious nippon roots behind them and reached out to AAA, B tier and indie developers and made sure they were on board a year before the PS4 was out
They basically need to do this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OhDX0anXZE
>>
>>321205352

Japan is still very much up for grabs.

If their gimmick is compelling enough, they can achieve the critical mass of the Wii again
>>
>>321203709
>what went wrong?
Nintendo being a retard towards 3rd party developers on the west, remember how there were no documentation aviable for the WiiU in english for over 4 mounths?
>>
>>321205703
>If their gimmick is compelling enough, they can achieve the critical mass of the Wii again
They're never getting the mass casual audience the Wii had. They can achieve success, but not by going after that audience.
>>
>>321205074
>>Marketing was fucking awful. The Wii U is a terrible name and Nintendo probably lost a million sales on brand confusion alone.
I never saw a single TV spot for the Wii U. Do they advertise during children's shows? Disney doesn't air video game ads at all. Meanwhile Comedy Central shows nothing but PS4/Xbone ads during their highest rated shows.
>>
>>321203709
Realistically, can Nintendo bring the third parties back with the NX?
>>
lmao

truly ebin
>>
>>321205703
No not really.
All devs already switched to PS4. Bamco, Capcom and Sega even said that they waited 2013/2014 to see who they will support, which would have been the time for Nintendo to release a new console the latest, but in 2015 they put their eggs into the Sony basket.
Its already over the mainstream market already picked the ps4, 3rd party devs gamble on sony and the nintendofanbase is drastically smaller due to nintendos actions in the last 2 generations.
Also the wii success was a flash in the pan, it wont save the NX just like it didnt save the Wii U.
>>
>>321205827
This was part of their ad campaign back when the system launched in 2012. I remember seeing it on TV a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVmW_qM1mmg

As for their newer TV spots, I'm pretty sure those are exclusively on kids channels like Cartoon Network. I recall them advertising Bayonetta 2 on Adult Swim in 2014 along with some N3DS Majora's Mask/Monster Hunter commercials on AMC earlier this year, but predominantly they advertise on kids channels.
>>
>>321205352
PS4 has the dudebro audience, Nintendo can try to attract family audience again by naming it different and do some shiny stuff because seriously this people didn't even know Wii U was a different console.
>>
>>321206109

If it's another AMD APU, porting will be trivial.

PS4 is selling moderately in Japan but it hasn't exploded.

NX could easily become a lead console for Japanese focused titles, especially if Nintendo give them some perks/subsidies.
>>
>>321206516
>dudebro audience
PS4 has pretty much all big audiences. Hell half of the people who bought a ps4 at launch only owned a wii u last gen.
>>
No 3rd party support
Centered around a tablet no one wanted and has little practical use
Underpowered
Appeals solely to children and non-gamers
>>
>>321206516
>Nintendo can try to attract family audience again by naming it different and do some shiny stuff because seriously this people didn't even know Wii U was a different console.
They can try and attract the "family" audience again but most of those casuals jumped shipped to mobile. With a good console and some decent marketing they can probably achieve moderate success going after the family friendly audience again, but why bother when the Wii U was a disaster and the PS4 has already proven itself to sell well to the mainstream, casual audience?
>>
>>321206716
>wii u
Meant wii.

>>321206683
And if by some miracle it is successful it will take 3 years to make games, especially since japan isnt as fond of porting their games as the west.
And porting still costs money, time and workforce. Hell, according to Ubisoft porting x360 games to wii u was extremly easy and cheap to do, but why waste money and dev teams on a version of the game only 50k will ever buy.
>>
>>321203709
Iwata made decisions.
>>
region lock
>>
>>321205219
This is the correct post everybody.

TO. THIS. DAY. There are normies who do not even realize the Wii U is different from the Wii.
>>
>>321206931
Forgot about mobiles, looks like decent marketing is the only way then.
I've been pretty happy with my Wii U despite the "bad" sales though.
>>
worst 3rd party support to date for a nintendo console, started out alright but lost all support almost instantly.
>>
The Wii U is just awkward as a whole. It came out too late with a bad launch lineup of unimpressive (for Nintendo standard) titles and outdated third party ports. Extreme software droughts immediately followed, with Nintendo titles slowly trickling out but by the time the real heavy hitters (smash and Mario kart) came out third party support bailed and the console had been sitting stagnant for months. There is no hype, there was barely any marketing, the casual audience had no idea if it was even a standalone console and the gamepad has no killer functionality and is just there inflating the cost of a system that should honestly be priced lower for what it is. Nintendo still doesn't know what to do with the thing.
>>
>>321203923
>no flagship launch titles
so how did xbone and ps4 sell?
>>
>>321207593
Casuals/dudebros eating up Western, AAA third party games. They're the reason the PS4 is selling so much.
>>
>>321207593
Every triple A multiplat game is released on them, how is this even a question?
>>
>>321207593

Third party. Why does this need to be explained over and over?
>>
>>321205219
This, the first time I saw a commercial for the Wii U I was out of the loop and thought it was just a gamepad peripheral.
>>
>>321203709
No games
>>
>>321207426
I think most Wii U owners are happy with the system. There's a shitton of fantastic exclusives for it, which is more than the PS4 and Xbone can say right now.
>>
>>321207593
Multiplats, man.

Nintendo banked on the Wii U emulating the Wii's success, and when it didn't they couldn't fall back on multiplats to save them. Which is why the Wii U was such a failure.
>>
>>321203709
>>321203709
There are 2 options right now involving the new development of gaming consoles.
1) Innovation
2) Play it safe.

Nintendo is always pushing towards innovations while other companies (Microsoft and Sony) are playing it "safe".
Before you guys start with the "le nintendo shill cocksucker" i'm gonna say that i'm not saying that Innovation is good or "playing it safe" is bad, because "good and evil" are relative terms created by mankind to give an imaginary value to obects or abstractness.

You can seek innovation but you can fail at it, like nintendo is doing since n64, the last great innovation in gaming console.
Sony is playing it safe, they got a formula that worked very well (PS2) and they are using that same formule but with improvements in the hardware area (same gamepad, same console, just better graphics, sound, detail, etc).

Gamers love new things as they love "old formulas" with modern graphics.
However, just because something is "new" or "differente", like the Wii, and Wii U gamepad, gameplay and mechanics, doesn't mean that the public opinion is gonna be favorable towards this new stuff.
When innovation gets public acclaim, and bring the market to new unknown bundaries (forcing competition to play with this new rules), its called evolution, and that's what Nintendo was seeking (and failing at it).
Sony in the other hand, it's playing it safe, not seeking innovation, and only getting better in hardware and software storytelling and shit. That's fine, and its working damn good.

However times change, and nothing last forever. Depends on Nintendo's creative and scientific staff to discover that "phillosopher stone" that they are looking for since ages, to claim the throne of gaming consoles, that right now, belongs to Sony.
And it also depends on Sony to keep "playing it safe" forever, or try to risk more and seek for innovation, because everything ends, and nothing last forever.
>>
>>321207717
>They're the reason the PS4 is selling so much.
Yeah, people like playing video games for a while now, you know? That's the reason
>>
>>321203709
The name, the underpowered software, no good launch titles. That's pretty much it. Once Smash came out and people realized it wasn't just a Wii peripheral, public opinion of the console improved a ton, even though it was really too late.
>>
>>321207852
>There's a shitton of fantastic exclusives for it

Too bad exclusives clearly don't matter. Otherwise the Wii U would be the most successful console ever.
>>
>>321207852

>muh exclusives

Nah bro. I'm a Wii U owner and 2 - 3 exclusives doesn't excuse all the gaming droughts. Meanwhile PS4 gets fallout 4, MGSv, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, and pretty much every fucking game under the sun.
>>
File: 1431729954297.jpg (37 KB, 678x519) Image search: [Google]
1431729954297.jpg
37 KB, 678x519
>>321207918
>n64, the last great innovation in gaming console.
>>
They should have called it "Super Wii"
>>
>>321207852
>Wii U
>has shitton of fantastic exclusives
>still sells like shit years after launch

If the games were that good word of mouth would have overridden the shitty marketing a long time ago.
>>
>>321208038
>Otherwise the Wii U would be the most successful console ever.
Holy shit I just realized why this place is known as nintendogaf
>>
>>321207929
Yeah? That's what I said. The mainstream, casual audience are buying the PS4 because it has the latest AAA games. Star Wars Battlefront was complete shit but I'm sure it sold millions because of casuals.

>>321208038
I just said the Wii U has a shitton of good exclusives, never implied it was selling well because of them.
>>
The console is what, three, four year old by now? And currently the best games for it are W101 (an eccentric, look-at-how-Japanese-I-am game with niche appeal), a HD remake of an old Zelda game, a romhack maker and Pikmin 3.

You can maybe add Splatoon to that list, except Nintendo are really shooting themselves in the foot with it from a marketing perspective; "Hey look, we have arena FPSs too! Except ours are EXPLICITLY FOR CHILDREN AND THEY USE COLORFUL PAINT INSTEAD OF BULLETS".

The damn thing has no games. It just sits there gathering dust. People talk about it having a weak launch, and it did, but in reality its had a weak lifespan. There's never been a period where more than one good title has been in the immediate pipeline.

Nintendo need to realise that they NEED 3rd party support, because they're no longer capable of pumping out first party games at a steady enough pace (or to a high enough standard) to keep people interested. The NX needs to be a console that, at its core, is the same basic thing as all the other consoles so that porting multiplats to it is a breeze for developers. They can add in whatever crazy Nintendo shit they can think of on top of that as long as it doesn't compromise that core functionality.
>>
>>321207593
Casuals who eat up multiplats, i've met plenty of people who bought PS4 on launch with multiplats who were already in PS3/X360, pretty fucking retarded if you ask me.
>>
it's time to move on and morn the loss of those games still stuck on those trainwrecks WiiU and NX, bayo deserved better, it should have been on the PC
>>
File: 1447959005237.jpg (21 KB, 791x421) Image search: [Google]
1447959005237.jpg
21 KB, 791x421
>>321203923
Just that, it failed because it was beaten. Brutally.
>>
>>321203709
The name is probably one of the biggest problems. Most people even still today don't know its actually a different console from the wii.

It didn't really have a good gimmick. They basically were trying to ride the success of tablets and touch screens, but they didn't really do much with theirs and touch screen games are usually super casual simple games that people play on the go to kill time.

I'd say no good launch titles but the competition didnt do any better with xbone and ps4, so that's kinda a hard one to figure out. Maybe Wiiu just set the standard for shitty launches and people just accepted it as the norm by the time xbone and ps4 launched.

I do think they at least kinda tried to push out games for it though probably in a panic to sell more, but just like the dreamcast, games alone don't always sell a console.
>>
>>321208391
>a shitton of good exclusives
How much is a shitton, exactly? 5?
>>
>>321208247
It's not a matter of word of mouth. Bayonetta 2 is a fucking fantastic game, but it's a hard sell to casuals. A system can have an amazing library of games, but if nobody owns the console because the marketing is shit they won't sell that well.
>>
>>321208787
I'm having a hard time thinking of more than 3
>>
>>321208904
>muh casuals
Playstation 2 sold more than Xbox and GC because it had better exclusives period, nobody really cares about Mario #74 or generic weeb brawler game anymore anon
>>
File: 1432600950656.gif (549 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
1432600950656.gif
549 KB, 720x534
>It only failed because of the marketing!
>>
>>321209093
Yeah, I always laugh too.
>>
>>321203709
I think everyone underestimates how much the Wii killed Nintendo's reputation. Just because it sold well with a new demographic doesn't mean non-Nintendo fan gamers didn't hate it. The idea of buying a Nintendo console doesn't even register with most people. A lot of people don't even know the Wii U exists and they don't care when they find out.

The Wii U has some good exclusives, probably the best exclusives of the generation but aside from a couple of niche titles like Bayonetta and Fatal Frame the library doesn't offer any incentive for new players. Essentially all Nintendo have done this gen is cater to people who were already going to buy their console in the first place.

I don't even know what they could do to make the NX successful. The damage to their brand is done and it would take a some very clever marketing to fix it.
>>
>>321209093
this 2bh, it's just hard to admit that people don't care about nintendo games anymore, at least not enough to justify buying a console just for playing them
>>
>>321203709

1.Marketing
2. Underpowered console, barely on par with the 360 and PS3
3. No 3rd party support post launch
4. Long software droughts in between releases
5. Unappealing gimmick with the gamepad
6. Missing basic online features that where established in the early 2000's.

Basically, the Wii U is the physical representation of everything wrong with Nintendo starting from the mid 90's up until now.
>>
>>321209093
It would kinda benefited from a better name at least.

Then again Microsoft got away with Xbox one..
>>
>Poor advertising and a weak launch lineup meant no one cared or noticed it during the period when it should have been selling its strongest
>Third parties jumped ship the moment they smelled danger
>Nintendo jumped ship and started shoveling games off to the 3DS, leaving Wii U with only Mario games and games that would never work on a handheld
>Nintendo struggled to figure out what audience it wants, unable to decide whether it still wants the casual audience or not, resulting in an unclear direction for its development and marketing
>An underutilized gimmick that's not nearly as intuitive or unique as the Wii's motion controls
>Wound up getting pounded when Sony had its comeback, where, despite a relative lack of games, they went so hard on advertising that everyone forgot the other consoles even existed

I like a lot of the titles on the Wii U but Nintendo screwed the pooch so hard on so many fronts it's no wonder it's failure. If they want to get back in the game they need to stop and figure out what audience they want, and they need to try their damnedest to reach them. That's what made the Wii so successful.
>>
File: Wii U exclusives.png (834 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
Wii U exclusives.png
834 KB, 1000x500
>>321208787
I would argue 5 or so great exclusives is a reason to buy a console.

There's no accounting for taste, but for me, all the quality first party titles coming out were a reason to buy the system. I already own a PC and PS4 for multiplats so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.

>>321209085
The PS2 sold well because it was affordable, had great exclusives, had great multiplats/third party support, and was a inexpensive DVD player back in 2000. The landscape of gaming was also different back then.
>>
>>321205226
>>321205074
Saved for prosperity
>>
>>321209093
>>321209196
it's mostly marketing, PS4 was very sucessful because it took advantage of Xbone bad policies technically stole Xbox audience.
>>
>>321205352
Most people didn't even know the Wii U was a different console from the Wii. As long as Ninty can actually get peoples' attention this time with good hardware and games on the NX, it should be smooth sailing.
>>
File: Onizuka_Smug.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Onizuka_Smug.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>>321209476
>it's mostly marketing
>>
Pic related is why the wii u failed
Did nintendo not learn from the phantasy online controller?
>>
File: 1439347357854.png (2 MB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
1439347357854.png
2 MB, 2880x1800
>>321209476

What if I told you the PS4 would be in the same position it is right now even if Xbone didn't fuck up?
>>
>>321203709
Two days ago I went to FUCKING GAMESTOP and I overheard a GAMESTOP employee having to explain that the Wii U was to the Wii what the PS4 and XBone are to the PS3 and 360.

Most people, including me, thought it was just an add-on to the Wii, and then... Third party support fell through.
>>
>>321209407
thats because people read it Xbox won
>>
>>321210037
I sincerely doubt the PS4 would be in the same position as it is now if Microsoft hadn't dropped the ball. It would still be selling well, but the Xbone would be a lot more of a competitive threat if Microsoft actually made a decent console from the start.
>>
Wii was able to ride on the cheaper, old console price compared to the shockingly high price of the gen it was competing with.

Now the market is used to expensive consoles, and even better graphics. The price point can't make up for the shittier specs anymore.
>>
>>321209437
5 good exclusives is pretty damn weak, but thats still 5 more than both xbone and ps4 right now.
>>
>>321209407

Uh say what bro? The one is a great fucking name for a console.
>>
Multiplats are what are popular and what sell. It doesn't matter if you play them on PS4, Xbox One, or PC, if you have any of those you can play these games. These multiplats are collectively NOT on Wii U. This is why Wii U is not selling. It doesn't have what the market wants.
>>
>>321210414
>the market is used to expensive consoles
Nigga the PS4/Xone are cheaper than the SNES
>>
>>321210037
I would like to hope they would not have been able to get away with paid online so easily had they not announced it at the same time that everyone was focusing on how terrible the Xbone was. At they time, they were able to make the announcement like it was a good thing they were only charging for online.
>>
>>321210570
I think it's silly.
>>
>>321210618
ps4 and xbone would probably be in trouble if normies knew they could plug a controller into their computers
>>
>>321210994

Can I plug in my Bloodborne into a computer? Oh wait.
>>
>>321210501
The Wii U has a lot more than 5 good exclusives, it's just that my benchmark for purchasing any new console is "5 good games/exclusives that I'm interested in"
>>
>>321210629
Hah, i remember that one pretty clever to be honest.
>this is how you share games in the PS Quadruple
>better than M$, am i right?
>while at the same time undirectly announce payed online with small letters
>>
>>321210037
I would call you a retard
>>
>>321204923
Fuck off.
>>
>>321203709
lack of third party support
region lock
bad marketing
the name
>>
>>321203709
Nothing went wrong.
10 million console sales.
Has top software sales.
New amiibo sells like hotcakes.

WiiU is doing fine.
>>
>>321211867
I agree on all counts.
>>
Nintendo should rebrand themselves to advertise to the dudebro crowd that play Smash, Mario Kart and Goldeneye on the N64 when they're drunk. I know so many people that would assume you're talking about the N64 if you mention playing Nintendo.
>>
File: 4309230175_2b015bb07a_o.jpg (562 KB, 1174x1080) Image search: [Google]
4309230175_2b015bb07a_o.jpg
562 KB, 1174x1080
>>321204923
>Nintendo ever going third party
even if the nx bombs they still have a monopoly on the handheld market
>>
>>321205074
>Very little software made good use of the Gamepad, the console's main gimmick and selling point

I'm still waiting for that PnP game/app that never happened.
>>
>>321211925
>10 million console sales.
Within 3 years, it's one of Nintendo's worst selling consoles

>New amiibo sells like hotcakes.
No thanks to the Wii U
>>
North American game media hates Nintendo for some reason and almost completely omits the Wii U in any console talk.
>>
M A R K E T I N G

A N D

N A M I N G
>>
>>321210621
Sure, adjusted for inflation. But people's actual incomes and psychology don't rise in exact proportion.

PS1 and PS2 launched at $300, PS3 launched at $400-500. I can tell you that this was a big deal at the time. The Wii launching at $250 meant a lot of parents were going to go with that.

As time has gone on, wages have had the chance to catch up more and there are more gamers that have their own disposable income.
>>
File: Screenshot_6.jpg (38 KB, 631x459) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_6.jpg
38 KB, 631x459
>>321210570
How are they going to call its successor tho?
>>
>>321210994
PC isn't marketed like consoles are. Even if it was and the market ditched ps4 and Xbone for PC it still leaves Wii U just as undesirable it doesn't change it doesn't have the games people want.
>>
>>321203709
Wii sold insanely well and they tried to copy it's success by a gimmick and naming it WiiU. Sadly nobody knew it was a new console because of the name and new gimmick wasn't as fun. That's all. Consoles will always be meh so it's not like NX can be much better.
>>
>>321210994
I'm pretty shure everyone knows that
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 383x304) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 383x304
I feel like they really underused the gamepad (which I honestly think is one of the coolest console additions in a long time and better than the fucking wii remote by a mile) also they should have had the console bundled with a pro controller and had more games available on Virtual Console (it really boggles my mind how much they neglected VC this gen especially with the demand for adding gamecube and more n64 games to it).

I love my Wii U and I still think it's the bests system of this gen but I feel like Nintendo has really neglected it this past year instead of letting it reach its potential. I really hope they don't abandon the Wii U.
>>
File: 1449587382342.png (563 KB, 861x990) Image search: [Google]
1449587382342.png
563 KB, 861x990
>>321211171
savage
>>
>>321212658
you'd be surprised how dumb most people are
>>
>>321212069
Thry could easily keep their handhelds while developing games for other consoles. They could even use console games to advertise their handheld games.
>>
>What went wrong?

Oh boy? Where to fucking start?

Fucked up architecture only Nintendo properly understands? Check.
An entire year's headstart with absolutely no worthwhile games for the console? Check.
A gimmick that nobody wanted or fully saw the point of? Check.
A reveal that was so poorly presented nobody quite understood what the fuck the Wii U actually was? Check.
One of the most RETARDED FUCKING NAMES IN HISTORY? One that soccer moms still don't understand and still think the Wii U is just a part of the Wii product? Check, check doubly-double check.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii U has quality exclusives now. But it has quality exclusives because Nintendo fucked up so goddamn hard with the launch of the Wii U that they had to fucking come crawling back to the core fans. Because they were the only ones who could possibly be interested in a console dudebros didn't want and casuals didn't understand.

What the fuck Nintendo, you had one year's headstart and you did NOTHING with it? You had lightning in a bottle, riding off the success of the Wii, and being first on the market, and you flushed it all down the drain.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>321212853
I'm surprised you're so deluled thinking that pc players are just smarter than the average console gamer, this kind of sense of superiority is what I'd expect from r/masterrace to be honest (and I don't even own a console)
>>
>1991 super NES comes out
>sells 70 shitzillion units despite having a very similar name to the NES

>2012 wii u comes out
>DUUUUUUUUUUUH I dunno boss it sounds like a add on hurr

explain this shit, because I certainly can't
>>
>>321213153
Because it was Super.

For real though even then people had a hard time thinking it was nothing then just an NES add on too.
>>
>>321213315
you weren't even alive when the snes came out fuck off
>>
>>321213153
Reveal at that big event made it look like a new gamepad for Wii, that's what even most of /v/ believed to be. What's so hard to understand? They never showed the console, just the new gamepad.
>>
>>321213153
One of the problems was how Nintendo marketed it like those Sega Genesis add-ons (I remember one commercial saying it was an "upgrade" rather than advertising it as a brand new system).

Nintendo should have cut out the Wii name or maybe called it something related to the gamepad.
>>
You guys don't understand.

It literally dose NOT matter if their next console is an inferior piece of hardware without essential current-gen features.

Nintendo fans the world over WILL buy the hardware and they WILL buy the software regardless of it's quality.

It
Literally
Dose
Not
Matter
The
Quality
Of
Their
Product

Nintendo fans will still buy it 9 times out of 10.

Realize this. People need Mario in their lives and they will pay out the ASS to ensure that stays true.

Do NOT underestimate how many manchildren there are in the world who literally WANT to stay in the world of mario for the next 10 years.

Just take one look where you are, 90% of the userbase of this board is pro-Nintendo. People, casual, normies, manchildren and even enthusiast PC gamers all have a thing for Nintendo, they have a sweet spot for Nintendo and will continue supporting the company regardless of what they put out and it;s quality.

Realize this /v/.
>>
>>321213153
The SNES actually looked different than the NES.
Wii and Wii U are quite similar at first glance.
>>
>>321203709
I didnt even know it was a new console when it came out, thought it was a gamepad for the wii.

I did end up getting one, but it was so I could install hbc on the virtual wii and play gamecube games probably scaled to 1080p. That probably impressed me the most as it made the games look awesome. For instance with metroid prime it scales the FOV which was pretty cool but does have an issue where the hud is too small.

It does the same for wii games which was nice.

Other then that and a hand full of good games its kind of a weak system. I like it. It has some nice touchs like the ability to open a webbrowser on the tablet without exiting the game. But has weak online support in general.

Its a shame i do like the little guy.
>>
>>321213571
>Nintendo fans will still buy it 9 times out of 10.
and clearly Nintendo fans alone aren't enough to sustain them, looking at the Wii U
>>
>>321213376
What want a real answer?

Because people are stupid and can't be damned to look up Wil U on google for 3 seconds. The fault is with Nintendo too for not saying "This is a new console" instead of fucking up an implying that the Wil U nothing but an Add on and necessary to buy.
>>
>>321213153
The only thing they showed in advertising and even the announcement of it was the controller. They almost seemed to be flat out ignoring the console itself because they thought the controller was so amazing.

In addition, you have to remember that the Wii's main audience was a hyper casual one. These people don't pay attention to game news, so they get easily confused by stuff like this. Nintendo might have been able to hold onto at least some of that audience is they tried a bit harder, but that whole group evaporated instantly because of Nintendo's fuck ups.
>>
>>321213978
*not.
>>
>>321213153

Simply look at the way the SNES was marketed at launch compared to the Wii U at launch.

SNES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9VbbvwhBYg

Wii U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBnq3IOTEws

Now to the average consumer, which commercial tell you that this system is a clear upgrade from the last console?
>>
>>321207852
I am happy with it but it would useful as hell to have muh FIFA.
>>
>>321213962

> looking at the Wii U

Nigga look at its fucking software sales, splatoon sold 1mil+, combined with amiibo, $50 e-shop rom, low effort shovelware they can put a $60 retail price tag on. 10 mil is more than enough if the installbase is huge and filled with dedicated Nintendo fanboy brand loyalists
>>
>>321214132
The "average consumer" didn't want an updated Wii, they want something were they could play the newest triple A game available, how hard is to understand it?
>>
>>321214026
>The only thing they showed in advertising and even the announcement of it was the controller. They almost seemed to be flat out ignoring the console itself because they thought the controller was so amazing.
>In addition, you have to remember that the Wii's main audience was a hyper casual one. These people don't pay attention to game news, so they get easily confused by stuff like this. Nintendo might have been able to hold onto at least some of that audience is they tried a bit harder, but that whole group evaporated instantly because of Nintendo's fuck ups.

All of this.

You have to understand that the situation with Super Nintendo was very different from the Wii U. Nintendo was at the top of the fucking game back in the Super days, it didn't matter that it was simply called "super", because it had hardcore fans all over the world.

The reason why the Wii sold is because of people who liked the thought of waggling a stick to play tennis. That's it. The reason why they didn't understand the Wii U is because they don't understand video games period.
>>
>>321213571
That's Nintendo's issue. The same autistic fanbase are the only people who will buybtheir shit now that they've lost the casual market.
>>
>>321212912
That's sort of the thing about lightning in a bottle, typically you're only going to catch it once. Nintendo took the market for granted and thought they could mandate where it went. Problem is that the wii and its support practically disappeared the last few years of the seventh gen and with it nintendo's brand awareness, all the while sony and microsoft gained ground. By the time the wii u came out the glory days of the original wii had been long forgotten and people were wondering what the new playstation and xbox had in store.
>>
>>321208509
Name is a problem only if your focus is Grandma and Sister. Everyone else knows what the fuck it is, dimwit.
>>
>>321214750
>Everyone else knows what the fuck it is, dimwit.

Nope, 99% of people didn't know it and even today most people don't. And I'm talking about people that play games a lot.
>>
>>321205827

They advertise the fuck out like every major Wii U release on Disney/Disney XD. Mario Maker, Splatoon, and Smash Brothers all got constant spots.
>>
File: 1443753038456.jpg (38 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1443753038456.jpg
38 KB, 500x455
>2016 - 8 days
>I meet a guy who actually thought that the Wii U was just another Wii controller

>inb4 they call it Wii X
I'll be fucking mad
>>
>>321213153
Well this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrI-A94aLfokinda makes it obvious that the Super NES is a new system.
>>
"IT FAILED BECAUSE OF THE NAME!"
"IT FAILED BECAUSE NORMIES"
"IT FAILED BECAUSE IT WASN'T MARKETED"
The console failed because it's not that good, just accept it and move on, why nobody is talking about the NX in the thread?
>>
File: 1446810235410.png (16 KB, 237x224) Image search: [Google]
1446810235410.png
16 KB, 237x224
>>321208435
>>321209264
These are THE posts.
>>
>>321215092
>inb4 they call it Wii X

They have confirmed that the Wii title is dropped, thankfully.

Wii was the right console in the right time and place. It was the stepping stone for casuals before mobile came into the picture. That audience is long gone now, hopefully they understand that.
>>
File: 1450582942802.jpg (80 KB, 481x636) Image search: [Google]
1450582942802.jpg
80 KB, 481x636
>complete lack of third party support
>weaker hardware
>marketed like shit
>stupid fucking gimmick
>tried to ride off the wii's casual audience in a time where mobile shit skyrocketed
>>
File: 1450862920839.png (122 KB, 471x283) Image search: [Google]
1450862920839.png
122 KB, 471x283
>>321214616

Once again you don't understand, there is a biological cycle that ensure Nintendos survival. Parents and casual will buy Nintendo for their kids as they see Playstation as all grimdark shit, this cements indoctrinates children as Nintendo fanboys for life. I guarantee you those who's parents got them an N64 over the PS1 in 1996 are Nintendo fanboys to this very day. Consiering we are growing up in an even more PC/SJW political climate and how deeply normies subscribe to that shit, considering that testosterone levels have been dropping globally since the 70's we've become a weaker species both physically and mentally, thus we pander to levels of enjoyment that accomodate our biological weaknesses. Nintendo dose that and they will ensure their offsring and their offspring remain in Nintendos ecosystem for the rest of their lives.

Long gone are the days of parents taking a chance and seeing if their children may be more engaged by something like Metal Gear Solid 1 instead of typical banana in pajamas tier garbage on a playschool tier console.

Just yesterday did you see the christmas thread? Kids gifts = Nintendo products, period. Nintendo and family enablers start em young and build life long fanboys every single day, epecially through christmas.

Every
Single
Day
A
Nintendo
Fanboy
Is
Being
Born

Realize this.

just yesterday did you see the christmas thread?
>>
>>321212069
>a monopoly on a market that's rapidly shrinking seeing lows not seen since the time handhelds were invented
>>
>>321215364
>hopefully they understand that.
I serioulsy doubt it, unfortunately I can't see nintendo getting back to the top again, and it's all on them
>>
>>321214986
>implying anyone watches the equivalent of boomerang
>implying the only people who watch it aren't little kids who already use mommy's cell phone or a tablet to play stupid mobile trash
>>
>>321215249
>redditfrog
>>
>>321211248
Which are/were what exactly?
>>
>>321215661
The only thing that gives me hope is that Kimi thought the Wii U being too similar to the Wii was a mistake from the beginning. Of course, how much he actually changes things, if at all, remains to be seen.
>>
I am 100% serious when I say Nintendo needs to shake off the family friendly persona if they want the NX to succeed.

The situation with the Wii is pretty fucking insane. They achived massive success, but they pretty much sold themselves out in the process. Nintendo became the "uncool" company according to gamers, Wii was that thing their grandma liked to play, with the Wii, Nintendo wasn't "cool" anymore. That stigma still remains to this day. I had a friend who seriously didn't believe me when I said Mad World was one of the most gory games of the generation because the Wii only has "kiddie games" a few years ago.

Nintendo seriously needs to double down on dark and edgy if they want to succeed with the NX and get the PS4 and Xbone crowd. They need something fucking raw, Nintendo needs to be "cool" again. Because that's how you get the kids ironically, not by being kid-friendly, but by being anti-kid-friendly.
>>
>>321216178
They make need to shake it off but it's been an integral part of their identity since the 80's. They really pride themselves on that shit.
>>
>>321214889
Your retarded friends are not 99% of the people who play games you know.
>>
>>321215810

>implying all that from a simple response to another post

Okay, familia.
>>
>>321216102
(in my opinion)
Splatoon
Mario Maker
Smash 4
Mario Kart 8
Bayonetta 2
Fatal Frame 5
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
>>
>>321203709

Calling it the Wii U, not releasing a traditional 3D Mario on it
>>
I haven't bought a nintendo anything since the SD came out. If the NX drops the shitty tablet controller and returns to the default method I'll definitely buy one just for Zelda or even a new pokemon.
>>
>>321203709
If Nintendo is smart they'll double down and release a tablet controller or 2 tablet controllers as the default controllers at launch
>>
>>321216890
Why Nintendo fags do this?
List every game the wiiU has?
>>
>>321203709
I think a huge problem with the Wii U was marketing. Can't tell you how many friends i had that thought the wii u was just a gamepad for the Wii
>>
File: 1417623383001.gif (2 MB, 321x288) Image search: [Google]
1417623383001.gif
2 MB, 321x288
>>321216890
>Splatoon
mp game nintendrones are kidding themselves with, they're forcing themselves to like it because they don't have another mp title
>Mario Maker
would be worthy if it wasn't a $60 game, it's worth max $30
>Mario Kart 8
rehashed lame kart game, jesus christ you'd have more fun in rocket league
>Bayonetta 2
people say its good, havent checked it out so no comment
>Fatal Frame 5
>Wonderful 101
the fuck is this shit even?
>Xenoblade Chronicles X
people say its good, but ive checked it out and it looks bad
>Yoshi's Woolly World
>Mario 3D World
>Pikmin 3
>Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
lol dont tell me adults play this shit
>Hyrule Warriors
bloodborne & dark souls rape this game
>>
Keep it so that you don't have to play for online. That alone puts them above the other two.
>>
>>321219156

What online? You mean the babby version of facebook or the 1 - 3 games that actually use online?
>>
>>321218761
Just admit you're one of those Cawadooty Mountain Dew Doritos gamers who plays games to "look cool", fag. Try leaving teenagedom, all games are gay
>>
File: 1407015614771.png (24 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1407015614771.png
24 KB, 625x626
>>321218761
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.