[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MMO RP Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8
File: 9293948757_e81e52f36a_o.jpg (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
9293948757_e81e52f36a_o.jpg
3 MB, 1920x1080
MMO Roleplay thread?

>Do you roleplay in MMO?

>Which games do you roleplay in?

>Any interesting stories you have about roleplaying, or interactions in roleplayers in general?

I am genuinely curious as I have wanted to roleplay in a few games like WoW, GW2 and ESO but never could actually commit to an MMO before shit coming up much less a group roleplay.
>>
>>321202032

I used to run and officer several moderately active roleplaying guilds on Argent Dawn EU in WoW.

What do you want to know?
>>
In Guild Wars 2, right outside of Lion's Arch where the zerg group used to fight the champion pig elite, there's a hunter's lodge where some roleplayers do their thing. I ended up just kind of standing across the path, roleplaying as a poor beggar playing the lute. I actually had a few people donate to me, and one female player even had a small conversation with me. But I quit GW2 soon after for ESO.
>>
File: 514_max_1200.jpg (419 KB, 1200x643) Image search: [Google]
514_max_1200.jpg
419 KB, 1200x643
>>321202241
Sweet! I was just looking for general stories to be honest. But, I would like to know a few things about getting into a group. If I was just starting out in an MMO, would being a low-level character get me ignored by the general rp populous?
>>
roleplaying is gay because 99% of roleplayers have a predetermined idea of what they want to do and refuse to deviate from what they want. Im not even talking about rpers getting trolled or strangers trying to join in to "private" rp events, just shit like people choosing to stagnate and do nothing because they want their character sit in a corner brooding instead of walking outside with everybody else.
>>
>>321202691
I hear ya there. Most people I've seen just kind of try to let someone else instigate.
>>
File: RqzdcqW.jpg (377 KB, 1919x1079) Image search: [Google]
RqzdcqW.jpg
377 KB, 1919x1079
>>321202504

Well, on AD we for years had a sense of a server-wide roleplaying community, due to having a lot of external resources (argentarchives.org being a main example) for collaborating between players and factions.

Pic related is from a PvP tournament, I'm the orc in blue just off-center to the right.

>If I was just starting out in an MMO, would being a low-level character get me ignored by the general rp populous?

Honestly depends on what server you're on and what game you're in. It might happen in WoW, it's less likely to happen in GW2.

If your grammar's a-okay and you've got the basics of having your character interact with other players you should be good.
>>
File: Machariel fighting over planet.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Machariel fighting over planet.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
>>321202032
What do you mean by "roleplay"? I pretended to be someone else entirely in EVE Online once, even had my little sister come onto comms a few times so I could pretend to be a girl. It was for the purpose of infiltrating another corp and ripping off billions from them and turning off the protections on some of their POS in w-space so we could rape them though. I was kind of "roleplaying" as another character but I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind.
>>
File: argent1.jpg (54 KB, 1024x312) Image search: [Google]
argent1.jpg
54 KB, 1024x312
>>321202846

Oh yeah, this is something to learn early on as well.

Roleplay isn't found (usually), it's made. Make up excuses for why your character would interact with another.
>>
File: Large-Caravan.jpg (20 KB, 590x200) Image search: [Google]
Large-Caravan.jpg
20 KB, 590x200
Oh yeah, and there's a lot of good and easy-to-digest resources and essays written down over the years - the general ones will apply to various MMOs and probably even LARP and Tabletop, the others are WoW specific.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/859137668#2
>>
>>321202691
also people refuse to get hurt in any kind of way. they would rather cry to a gm/public chat/put you on ignore/endless *teleports behind you its a hologram you missed* shit emotes than get a bruise.
>>
I just like to typefuck. I don't see the point in rping like that in a game, since its not like the animations support it.

No one ever wants to rape my oc with tentacles.
>>
All I can say is Jap Tarus in FFXI were the kinky motherfuckers.

I'm pretty sure they sped my descent down into the pit of degeneracy by 5 years at least.
>>
roleplaying is for autists
>>
>>321204251
It's the best way to go, really.
>>
>>321204251

You're not alone, it's definitely the easy route.

But eh, I see it somewhat similarly to Tabletop - nothing's perfect in terms of animation outside of literal LARP, so might as well make the best of it.
>>
>>321204871
>RPG players are autists.
>/tg/ is full of autists.
>>
File: image_4.jpg (63 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
image_4.jpg
63 KB, 540x429
>>321203024
This nigga hardcore. EVE niggas know where it's at

Gay niggas just like
>*blushes and hides face* "b-baka"
Faggots everywhere
>>
I made an alcoholic runescape character that would give people alcoholic drinks of all sorts. I once offered to pay for 50 lobsters with 2k beers (1999 Noted, 1 Unnoted and ripe for drinking). The merchant closed the trade window, looked at me, and then offered to trade again and we made the deal.
>>
I used to be into WoW RP a lot in Vanilla, TBC and WotLK

But ever since I started tabletop roleplaying I don't think I could go back to RP in MMOs, it's too limited and most of the time it involves standing around in a bar/city, tons of social RP and trying to avoid ERPers (I used to ERP in TBC)
>>
If there is a beginner class before main classes, I make it a point to make to max level with the said class.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.