[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Rocksmith any good? I was given an electric guitar and have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: file.png (176 KB, 300x379) Image search: [Google]
file.png
176 KB, 300x379
Is Rocksmith any good?

I was given an electric guitar and have no clue how to play.

Lessons here are like $100 a month, so I figured I might give Rocksmith 2014 a try since I just want to learn the basics.

How effective is it?
>>
Great.

The original probably comes up low with sales, including the cable.

There are videos.
>>
bump?
>>
bretty good
>>
>>321190830
just look up tabs online senpai

keep practicing and practicing and you'll get better. don't waste your money on Rocksmith desu, unless you're planning on torrenting it. also the cable costs like £20.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q7bUzPaFJE
>>
>>321190830
just google it instead, it's not rocket science

rocksmith may be fun game, but i'm not entirely sure if it's good teacher. I only played non-2014 version and game wasn't rewarding rhythm at all, also if i played song normally but some of boxes weren't there because of difficulty setting, game was punishing me for playing entire song.

it's fun i guess - but if you want to learn guitar, just google "guitar for beginners" or whatever similar.

i'm not sure if i'm good person to ask about learning process though - i started guitar without internet or anything, just carefree plucking strings and trying to make something nice out of it. Now i'm holding guitar upside-down (because i'm leftie) without swapping strings. i'm not bad at all though.
>>
>>321190830
Would recommend, one of the great things about it is the dedicated sections to different techniques.
I found this definitely helped improve my playing.
>>
>bought a cheap beginner guitar from a shop
>sounds fine and I'm having fun
>read the reviews online
>everyone shitting on my model of guitar saying it's the worst thing ever made
>get really discouraged and don't want to play now
>>
>>321190830
It's really good, it's got legit lessons built in, but if you want to fuck around and just play it as a game it's also very fun.
>>
>>321194890
what guitar did you buy anon?
>>
>>321194890
But literally nothing changed, get a better guitar if youre having fun
>>
>>321195508

Bguitars Assassin

People are ranting about this like its the Dungeon Keeper Mobile of the guitar industry, but I'm having fun
>>
>>321190830

Make sure you get the 2014 edition, the interface is much, much better.
if you also buy the origional the songs can be imported into 2014, but that's hidden behind jewing.
>>
>>321194890
never listen to nerds kid, and that goes for anything.
my brother is about to drop $2k on a gibson when he already has a $1k fender. i asked him to explain how much better the les paul could possibly be, and all he could really come up with was "deeper tone". gear nerds don't care about music, they care about specs and technical ability. that's why guitar forums are filled with djent and mathrock and tech death fans.

point is just keep having fun with your instrument.
>>
>>321195513
So what are you worried about? My first electric guitar wasn't even a brand, it was a package guitar that came with a small amp. I started jamming on my own. Then I got a book which I read and exercised on. Then I took some lessons for a year. I had it for 5 years until I played good enough to play in bands. I only got a good guiter when I was about to play live with my first band.
>>
>>321190830
Yes.
>>
>>321196032
A fender and a Gibson have completel different sound. I have a 1.5k Gibson and want the sweet lead sound of a 500$ fender.
>>
>>321190830
It's pretty okay. If you torrent it and don't want to jew out $20 for the cable, you can hook your guitar up to your line in and look up a no cable fix for Rocksmith.
>>
If your pc isn't shit you can get the cable by itself for like $20, pirate the game, and then when you're good enough to play on your own you can still use the cable to play on amp and effects simulators(which are fantastic now)
>>
>>321196380
ok but how much of that can be altered by your tuning, pickups, amp and pedals?
>>
>>321193598
Why are you communicating like a sperglord?
>>
>>321194890
As long as it doesn't go out of tune fast your good

Gear nerds are fucking nazi's

Ur allg and u will impress all the grillz anon
>>
>>321194890
never listen to those people. They still buy terrible junk shit like gibsons and american fenders
>>
>>321194890
The tool doesn't make the man.
Who cares if it's a cheap piece of shit, if you can make good songs with it it's completely okay.
>>
>>321196649
When it comes to Fender vs Gibson, the tones are too distinctively different to just use pedals etc to make one sound like the other.

It's one of the main reasons people have multiple basses or guitars.

When it comes to the higher priced ones, it becomes less about one being better than the other and more a case of one being more suited for certain styles of music etc.

My favorourite example is a Fender Telecaster, good look making a Gibson SG sound like that and vice versa.
>>
>>321195718
That guitar is better than no guitar. As long as the action isn't fucked up who cares. Spend $50 on a set up at a guitar store they'll make it play sweet. I wouldn't worry about a new guitar until later.

>>321190830
It's a good beginner tool, it will have you jumping up and down the neck from the beginning which is overwhelming at first. Considering its less than the cost of 1 lesson. It's a no brainer to pick it up. If it makes you pick up your guitar for 10 minutes a day it's paid for itself.
>>
>>321194890

If you're learning it doesn't really matter
>>
>>321195718
As long as you like it that's what matters I guess.

Further down the line you could always upgrade the pick-ups or something.
>>
>>321194890

kek, don't argue with nerds, I had a garbage Yamaha entry level guitar and I actually BTFO some of the fgas that playeed in the music club at uni.
>>
>>321194890
If you're beginner you probably wouldn't even notice difference between, let's say, cheap strat and proper strat. Go back and play on your piece of crap, everything sounds good when good guitarist plays on it, and you definitely don't need good guitar to get good.

If you feel a need to satisfy your inner consumer, i suggest buying good amp if you don't have one - there is a world of difference between cheap crappy amp/pc "simulation" and anyhow decent one, even for total newbie.
>>
>>321190830
You're not going to get very far without learning music theory first.
>>
File: 24345235.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
24345235.gif
3 MB, 320x240
>>321198876
>>
The problem with rocksmith is you can pick up some bad playing habits which you'll then have to unlearn, if its something you decide to pursue.

I wanted to do it but i'm putting it off til i have a much stronger knowledge of how to play.

/mu/ normally has a thread going all the time about guitar stuff and in the first post is plenty of links pointing to areas to help you learn.

Thee will be plenty of online materials to help you with it. I used justinguitar.com, which has a series of videos and text guides (they also try to sell you their books of songs to learn, but i never bothered as you can look up tabs and such online)
>>
>>321193598

>Tabs

I bet you don't even inversion.

Even the coloreds know more than Power this and Major that.

>>LaughingJazzMusicians.jpg
>>
File: 1405808916583.png (302 KB, 539x581) Image search: [Google]
1405808916583.png
302 KB, 539x581
>>321199197
>tfw musicians are the only nerds who get laid
>>
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Fantastic course for beginners
>>
File: Capture.png (78 KB, 315x132) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
78 KB, 315x132
It's great homie. Best part is session mode
>>
>>321199756

Damn. Never thought of it, but you're right.
>>
>>321190830
I recommend, it's really good for a beginner as it has lessons and you can replay certain parts of a song, slowing the song down is also possible.

Pros:
>Can teach you a lot about playing a guitar
>It picks up how well you're doing in a song and increases the difficulty by adding more notes and speeding them up
>Really satisfying getting a song 100%

Cons:
>Cord is expensive and is kind of fragile (I've dropped mine a dozen times and it still works)
>It's possible to pick up bad habits
>>
>>321198972
>>321200791

Question can you give some examples of bad habits that can develop from it? Not doubtful just wondering since I see this a lot and I'm wondering if I have any myself.
>>
Learn some scales/chords and look at finger strength building exercises. Then play some tabs that are fun and when you are comfortable and learn to fucking rock. We all start somewhere, except Eddie Van Halen. Fact: He was born with a guitar in his hands.
>>
>>321201428
The game can be very forgiving when it comes to chords, so sometimes when you play a chord incorrectly, the game will see it at correctly played

Also rythym is hard to convey in some songs, giving yourself the idea that you're playing the song correctly, when you're not.

I started playing the game through an amp instead of the game audio, making it much clearer when i make mistakes in chords and so on. There are probably other bad habits, but those were my mistakes.
>>
File: WP_20151222_16_22_10_Pro.jpg (366 KB, 1296x728) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151222_16_22_10_Pro.jpg
366 KB, 1296x728
post your family photos guys

>>321190830
it helped my friend learn and he's pretty decent now - plus the songs are GREAT as backing tracks once you get good enough.

>>321193598
Tabs are great, but rocksmith isn't bad either. I'd try them in combination with each other.

>>321194890
Fuck them, I started out on a fucking 70 dollar pawnshop squire and a fender frontman. As long as YOU are happy with the gear you have that should be all. it's a beginner guitar, it's not gonna be the best of the best.
>>
File: Tony-Iommi.jpg (139 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Tony-Iommi.jpg
139 KB, 630x420
>>321201894
Better to start with this guy.

Many of his early chords just need two fingers because he fucked up his hand in a factory before the band took off.
>>
>>321190830
Just learn some easy riffs, that's what got me motivated to practice. I bought my guitar and didn't do anything with it for few days until I decided to check how hard is it to play some of my favourite riffs. After playing them for some time I finally decided to start practicing for real.
>>
>>321190830
>Lessons here are like $100 a month

do you not know how to perform an internet search? There's about a million and a half ad-supported resources online for learning guitar
>>
>>321194890
No one sits around looking at famous paintings and going "wow, I can't believe van gogh used a pine needle brush, what a faggot". The tools you use are irrelevant. Gear sluts are usually faggots with no creativity that just play Steely dan and Yes covers in their garage all day anyway. Pay no attention to them.
>>
Just torrent it and get a no cable fix/exploit/whatever

it's a good way to learn if you like videogame'y stuff
>>
>>321203840
Yeah but how can you tell which ones are good and efficient when you don't know shit about it?
>>
File: CANT WAKE UP.png (798 KB, 740x640) Image search: [Google]
CANT WAKE UP.png
798 KB, 740x640
>borrowing an acoustic from family member
>Looked up a few lessons so I can play chords
>making good progress
>realize guitar reeks of something horrible
>it's coming from within the sound hole
>its across the room and now im thinking about it I can smell it again

send help
>>
>>321204116

I found a spider once in my classical guitar. I think it laid eggs. Not even joking
>>
Hey guys I'm learning how to play on an acoustic from online vids and just general practice; after around 2 weeks of playing I can play a few songs if they have simple chord progressions and now I'm wondering where to go next with this. Any advice?
>>
>>321204448
What you want to do is just play songs and try to create your own. At this point there is little to no reason to learn more complicated stuff, you just need to get used to the instrument and really get used to expressing yourself through it - that takes years. In terms of theory you want to learn some basic chord shapes, relative minor and major scales and learn the first twelve tones on the first two strings (E & A) if you really want to learn how to play on a guitar well, you will naturally seek resources and eventually figure out what direction you want and need to take.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.