[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wish all games looked like that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 4chan-arch-find-image.jpg (203 KB, 1024x700) Image search: [Google]
4chan-arch-find-image.jpg
203 KB, 1024x700
I wish all games looked like that
>>
Why did pre-rendered environments die? Chrono Cross was easily the best looking game on the PSX, and Baiten Kaitos was among the best on the Gamecube.
>>
>>321170283
Probably because they only really work with fixed camera angles like that.
>>
>>321170283

Real-time rendering of 3D environments got good enough that the visual improvement of pre-rendered was no longer great enough to justify the limited camera angles.
>>
>>321170349
I was going to ask what was wrong with them, but then I realised. They're not cinematic enough. Game directors want to make movies now, and fixed cameras doesn't appeal to them.

>>321170407
That's not true at all though. FF8 and 9 had much better looking environments than 10 or 12.
>>
>>321170407
We've had fully 3D games with these "cinematic" camera-angles. It is a design choice, which majority of the big AAA devs don't embrace anymore, since FPS / TPS genres are (still) the big thing.
>>
>>321170508

I didn't say there was no visual improvement from realtime to prerendered after the fifth gen, anon, just that it got smaller and smaller as technology improved. Camera control is major enough that only a drastic improvement in visual quality or exceedingly low budget are justification enough for most studios to use prerendering.
>>
>>321170508

You're a fucking moron. Do you honestly believe a 3D game plays better when you have no control over the camera? Did you throw a tantrum when Mario 64 came out for trying to be too cinematic?
>>
>>321170830
It quite obviously doesn't apply to all genres. But turn-based RPGs gain nothing from free cameras.
>>
>>321170702

It's not impossible to use cinematic camera angles with real-time rendering. It is impossible to have a fully movable camera with prerendered backgrounds. Guess which one became the industry standard.
>>
>>321170508
>GAMES DONT USE FIXED CAMERA ANGLES BECAUSE THEYRE TRYING TO BE CINEMATIC
Truly a new level of stupid
>>
>>321170997
>turn based rpgs
>>
>>321170154
Like upscaled jpeg file?
>>
File: resident evil remake.jpg (251 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
resident evil remake.jpg
251 KB, 1920x1080
>>321170154
>>
>>321172438
kek
>>
>>321170154
unreal 4 engine looks just as good
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.