[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>games where you aren't playing as the main character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12
File: Swkotor2_2014-12-31_17-05-12-24.png (578 KB, 669x678) Image search: [Google]
Swkotor2_2014-12-31_17-05-12-24.png
578 KB, 669x678
>games where you aren't playing as the main character

i'll start with KoTOR II
>>
>>321168897
mgs v at some extent?
>>
File: Whiteknight.png (144 KB, 309x422) Image search: [Google]
Whiteknight.png
144 KB, 309x422
Shitposting aside, White Knight Chronicles.
>>
File: mgs5_phantom_pain_e3_leak.jpg (30 KB, 605x250) Image search: [Google]
mgs5_phantom_pain_e3_leak.jpg
30 KB, 605x250
hue

piece of shit game shouldn't exist.
>>
You're quite literally told that Vaan isn't the main character of ff12 and shouldn't be using him as such.
>>
>>321169006
Snake kills Dumbledore?
>>
>>321169115
so shouldn't you
>>
>>
>>321169006
Page 666
>>
FFX

>Listen to my story
You have no story Tidus, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>321168897

If you're suggesting Kreia is the main character of Kotor 2 then you're wrong.

However, you're correct in saying the Exile isn't the main character; it's clearly still Revan. The entire game is focused on Revan this and Revan that, let's find Revan, let's help Revan. Revan Revan Revan.

The story of the first game is waaay better than the sequel, simply because the second game spends the entire story sucking Revan's dick.

All that said, second has better gameplay and is still a great game.
>>
>>321169621
Problem with Revan is that he's a Mary Sue, hence the dick sucking. The Exile is a way more complicated and interesting character, so even if her story is just a sidestory to the overarching plot of Revan's war agains the True Sith, KotOR 2 has a better, more in-depth plot compared to the Saturday morning cartoon tier shit that is KotOR.
>>
>>321169621
>the story of the first game was way better

MUA-HA-HA
I HAVE FINALLY HARNESSED THE POWER OF THE STAR FORGE WHICH GIVES ME UNLIMITED POWAAAHHHHHH (to build spaceships)

BRUV THERE'S SOMETHING I SHOULD TELL U
YEAH WHATS THAT SENPAI
YOU'RE REVAN BLUD

SHEEEEEEEEEEEET

Kotor's was way better, it showed that even the jedi who are supposed to be the paragons of light and justice in the film, can fuck things up
>>
>>321169814

Like I said, I still really love the sequel, and I def agree Revan is a mary-sue but I still love him and his neutral Jedi/Sith mastery, but having the mainplot be "Revan's sideplot" through the entire game is irritating. And the Exile, being a great character, could have gotten an awesome story if they didn't focus everything on Revan. Make it the Exile's quest, then maybe bring Revan in at the very end almost like a cameo rather than a central plotpoint.
>>
>>321169183
>BOSS GET DOWN
>the enemy snitch
>>
>>321169006
You're a week late, bub.
>>
>>321169396
>he was flung into a strange new world and was introduced to some weird priestess lady and her band of followers who had to protect her on her pilgrimage to battle the ancient evil who tries to destroy the world and he convinces all of them to abandon the religion and try to topple the entire fucking cult by killing priests and shit when hes learns about the original intentions of a 'final summoning' and it turns out the big bad is actually his dad and he is a dream and i guess auron is too
>no story
>>
>>321169814
Revan isnt a mary sue. hes weak in the force. the asshole was brain washed a couple of times
>>
>>321169115
You are the main character though, just because you don't play as the real big boss doesn't mean he is the main character. He barely even has a presence in the game besides the intro and a couple minutes of tape recordings
>>
Sorry for the sidetrack lads but what is the correct way to play kotor 2?
>>
File: Malak_betrays_Revan.jpg (610 KB, 1163x633) Image search: [Google]
Malak_betrays_Revan.jpg
610 KB, 1163x633
>>321169814
I found Revans conflict with the Council, entering the War, and his inevitable downfall far more interesting. The outcast seemed like a plot device for side characters/story. The Kreia elements were great tho. Also thought Malik was a decent 'badguy'
>>
>>321170413
fuck off idiot.

punished medic is not the main character.
>>
>>321170404
>weak in the force
>strong enough to take the title of dark lord of the sith
I mean if you're comparing him to Vitiate then sure but Revan was incredibly powerful.
>>
>>321170428

With the restored content mod.
>>
>>321170428
With restored content mod, but don't get the M4-78 droid planet, it's fanmade crap.

If you're talking canonically, it's a light side female Exile.
>>
>>321170480
>The protagonist or main character is a narrative's central or primary personal figure, who comes into conflict with an opposing major character or force (called the antagonist). The audience is intended to mostly identify with the protagonist.
Big Boss sure is a protagonist alright
>>
>>321169621
>The entire game is focused on Revan this and Revan that, let's find Revan, let's help Revan. Revan Revan Revan.

It really isn't. The only time Revan is discussed a lot is when you are specifically talking about Revan with Kreia.

Unless you are bothered by the smallest mention of Revan and are exaggerating.
>>
Is Dark Side any fun in KoTOR? I always play lawful good Jesus Jedi who just so happens to murder everyone in his path outside of cut-scenes.
>>
>>321170928
I can't ever play dark side Tbh, I just hate being a dick
>>
>>321169006
Snough
>>
>>321169002
Venom Snake is the main character, though.
>>
Undertale Genocide
>>
>>321168897
kreia literally did nothing wrong. except, condescend and evade me at every turn, get mad when i trained handmaiden, call me a traitor, cock block me, keep the truth about her jedi past hidden fuggin bitch
>>
>>321168897
MGS2 maybe? Do you consider Pliskin or Raiden the main character? I considered Pliskin to be the real hero.
>>
A good chunk of DMC4. It's hilarious how the plot shuts down for a while so you can have some Dante shenanigans.
>>
>>321171247
>If you do nice things for other people then it's exactly as bad as being a dick to them, because it will cause a catastrophic rube-goldberg contraption of events that you couldn't possibly predict or control that is entirely your fault and will eventually ruin them
>don't ask why your actions aren't equally likely to cause anything unexpectedly good, fuck you if you do anything other than kiss my wrinkly old ass for the entire game
Fuckin' Kreia.
>>
>>321171735
summed up nicely. i resented her so much by endgame
>>
>>321171735
APATHY
>>
>ITT: people who don't understand what a main character is.

The protagonist of a story is the one that makes the most decisions to drive the plot forward. In an RPG that is always going to be the player character.

Kriea may be the main antagonist, but she is not the main character. Revan may be an important figure to the story, but he is not the main character (he's a macguffin, really). The Exile is the main character of KoTOR 2, as the Exile makes the most decisions in the story.
>>
>>321171735
Beating her feels really satisfying in that regard. She keeps condescending you about how caring about your companions and training them makes you weak. Then you stick her floating lightsabers up her holes in the end.
>>
>>321169621
You obviously have never play the game
>>
>>321168897
Kreia was not the main character by any fucking stretch of the imagination. Even she admits the universe has a villain shaped slot for her even she doesn't like it.
>>
>>321172074
>the Exile makes the most decisions in the story.

the story of kreia
>>
The character you play as is always the main character of the game by definition. They don't have to be important to the story, they're the main character of the fucking GAME, the bits where you play.
>>
>>321170539
He was a mediocre force user but his real strength was his charisma and talent for warfare.
>>
>>321169814
I feel like if they were able to create a third game like they were planning in early stages and had save transfers and you go back to revan or at least somebody to take down Revan it would have been a lot better in the end. The lesson here is fuck EA.
>>
File: art11.jpg (117 KB, 944x1580) Image search: [Google]
art11.jpg
117 KB, 944x1580
>>321173264
>Vaan is the main character of Final Fantasy XII
Yeah, no. Vaan does nothing in the game. He moves nothing along. He literally has no impact on anything.
>>
>>321168897
Can we take a moment to talk about how fucking retarded the party AI is and how clunky the combat system is?

Niggas are running all over the place aggroing enemies, running into mines, running into poison traps. The game's easy in general, but fuck I hate Telos, worst part of the game. It feels like I'm trying to wrangle a bunch of retards and turn them into a elite swat team or something
>>
>>321173780
When I use to play this game when I was younger I got good at speedrunning telos and beating it in like an hour just cause I hated it so much.
>>
>>321173780
>It feels like I'm trying to wrangle a bunch of retards and turn them into a elite swat team or something
Funny enough, you just described SWAT 4.
>>
File: TruestHero.png (150 KB, 402x411) Image search: [Google]
TruestHero.png
150 KB, 402x411
>Dragon Quest V
You aren't the chosen one. You play as the chosen one's father
>>
>>321173721
He's the guy you control. I addressed that point in my post and you still brought it up. I don't care how worthless he is from a narrative perspective, he is the main character of the game whether he should be or not.
>>
>>321174271
technically though you do play as the chosen one later
>>
>>321173721
>He literally has no impact on anything.
He causes a huge impact on Ashe and forces her to change from an assmad princess trying to get her revenge even if it means becoming a puppet to immortal jews to an actually capable ruler. He changes himself from irresponsible street guy to a more or less competent fighter and responsible man. You can't remove him from the story. The only useless character in the game is Penelo.
>>
>>321174281
Not the same guy but I don't think you understand what this thread is about. We're talking about games where you control a character but they aren't the central point of the story character wise and don't have much of an impact.
>>
>>321174281
Oh boy.

Listen, faggot. You're not clever and you're not witty. Pointing out that technically the definition of 'main character' is 'the one the piece of media uses as the point-of-view character' isn't a grand revelation. Saying 'games where you aren't playing as the main character' is short and clear to anyone other than a literal-minded faglord like you.

Would you prefer it was 'games where the main character isn't the most important person to the story narrative-wise, but is also not the antagonist'?

Fuck off.
>>
>>321174407
Well he's in your party but the player character still isn't the chosen one
>>
>>321174558
>Would you prefer it was 'games where the main character isn't the most important person to the story narrative-wise, but is also not the antagonist'?
I would. Verbose or no, saying what you really mean is important and when you get it wrong you need to be corrected or you'll keep making the same mistake and looking daft. Simmer down, bruv.
>>
>>321175190
Or, you know, we could just speak like normal people and not have faggots feel the need to correct us on trivial technicalities that anyone with a functioning, non-autistic brain would not even notice.
>>
File: Swat4 2015-04-23 20-31-56-73.jpg (54 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Swat4 2015-04-23 20-31-56-73.jpg
54 KB, 1280x1024
>>321174051

You're in my spot sir.
>>
>>321170928
Yeah, you just get to mind-trick and lightning everyone.
>>
File: edge-226-dark-souls.jpg (160 KB, 849x473) Image search: [Google]
edge-226-dark-souls.jpg
160 KB, 849x473
>>
>>321174558
You could just use the word "protagonist" or phrase "protagonist of the story." Just ignore him, dude. Pedantic fucks are always going to be pedantic.

The small nitpickings over semantics are the only victories they have in life. Let them have it.
>>
>>321168897
OP is a faggot
>>
File: 1449751175986.jpg (29 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
1449751175986.jpg
29 KB, 480x446
yoshi's island
>>
The Exile is the main character you faggot.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.