[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Satellite Reign good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: logo-post.jpg (103 KB, 616x326) Image search: [Google]
logo-post.jpg
103 KB, 616x326
Is Satellite Reign good?
>>
>>321162283
It's pretty boring. You roam the streets of a single city and do scripted break ins against enemy compounds. You don't get a base for yourself however.
>>
Yes.
>>321162752
You don't know what scripted means.
>>
>>321162883
Do you get a lot of freedom in missions then?
>>
>>321163010
Yes, the main appeal of the game is how many ways you can complete and objective.
>>
>>321163010
Not really. If you were drawn in hearing that it was a spiritual successor to syndicate prepare to be disappointed.
>>
>>321163143
The original syndicate had less that you could do that Satellite Reign.
Have you even played either of them?
>>
File: confuse~.gif (124 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
confuse~.gif
124 KB, 500x281
>>321163123
>>321163143
Anon's please.
>>
>>321163289
Pirate it first, see if you like it.
>>
>>321163223
The original syndicate at least had satisfying combat.

The combat in Satellite Reign is fucking terrible. You make your guys squat behind a chest high wall and plink at other guys squatting behind a chest high wall until either you or they are dead.

I understand you're shilling pretty hard for this, but it's nothing like the Syndicate games and really undeserving to be connected to them by reputation. I'm just trying to make sure anon doesn't waste his money thinking it's going to be a lot of fun.

Anon, in case you do get the game, don't forget to refund and get your money back if you're not in the slow paced, slow, incredibly slow game. Shambling back and forth across only a single city, the only city in the game, and breaking into bases in exactly the same manner each time.
>>
>>321163747
In the original syndicate you had to select one fucking guy at a time to issue even the most basic commands. It was awful.
And if you need to hide behind chest high walls you obviously don't know how to use the hacker or any of the other character abilities.
>>
>>321163914
just pirate the game, dont listen to this guy
>>
>>321164103
But I gave the same advice.
>>
>>321164181
sure you did
>>
>was slightly interested in this game
>now more confused than ever
>>
File: mad.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
I'm going to just buy it and refund it if I hate it. You two are confusing me.
>>
>>321164450
It's boring as shit and when I last played it shortly after it left early access there was a game stopping bug after the first few minutes that prevented you from leaving the tutorial area.
>>
I've never played Syndicate. Is this anything like the new Shadowrun or XCOM: EU/EW?
>>
>>321164652
Much more like a realtime xcom.
The original is far too dated to be playable.
I haven't tried Syndicate Wars, but I know it came out a bit later and maybe they fixed the problems the original had.
>>
>>321164652
No, syndicate is a real time game with real time combat where you guide agents around cities around the globe destroying enemy syndicates, stealing technology, kidnapping people, robbing banks, assassinating high ranking VIPs, etc.

Not turn based, not really much of a story. Syndicate Wars was wayyyy better though.
>>
>>321164839
>game with real time combat where you guide agents around cities around the globe destroying enemy syndicates, stealing technology, kidnapping people, robbing banks, assassinating high ranking VIPs, etc.
Is this an apt description of Satellite Reign?
>>
>>321165482
More or less, but it's a sandbox instead of mission based.
Some people like that some people don't.
>>
>>321165482
Not really. It has some of the same objectives as in Syndicate Wars but the gameplay is boring as fuck.
>>
>>321165673
the sandbox nature of it makes it boring. mission based was better because you could have cities and looked different, here it's just one big giant city that looks the same everywhere you go.
>>
>>321165817
I agree that the game lacks visual variety, but not that the sandbox makes it boring.
The sandbox lets you do things you otherwise wouldn't be able to do in a mission, like hijacking a civilian or someone from an opposing faction to start a firefight or making use of multiple points of entry that otherwise wouldn't be there.

I'm interested how the combat is different from syndicate wars though, what did they change?
>>
>>321165673
How does the open world play into the gameplay? Does it feel natural? Or is it like Ubisoft open world games where the open world map only exists to pad out game time between objective markers.
>>
>>321166078
From Syndicate Wars to Satellite Reign or from the Syndicate to Syndicate Wars?

From in either case the combat in Wars was fast and brutal. If you weren't paying attention to your guys you could lose one in all the action. But another great thing about Wars was that it was a fully destructible environment which was especially fun later in the game when explosives were pretty common.
>>
>>321166213
There are different resources you can gather in the form of people that you can abduct (not as interesting as it sounds though, it's really just a button press or two) and bank/info terminals. There are police that are scattered about, and as I already mentioned you can sometimes draw them into a gunfight with other factions.

It's not the deepest open world, but I think it fits the gameplay well.
>>
>>321166271
That's kind of what it looked like from the gameplay videos.
It's a bummer that they don't have much destruction in Satellite Reign because I heard they were originally planning to, but I think they made up for it by polishing other systems, introducing stealth, and a bunch of unique character abilities.
>>
>>321166386
Bank robbery in Satellite Reign:
Find a terminal and have your hacker get the money from it, then walk away.

Bank robbery in Syndicate Wars:
Set explosives down, blow the fucking bank up, then grab the briefcases from the flaming rubble as fast as you can because pretty soon the area is going to get swarmed by flying police cars that will rape your assholes if you're not quick about grabbing the shit and getting away. Sometimes you'll come across another faction going for the briefcases and you need to move even faster to kill them off and beat them to the money.
>>
File: iNxgIo.png (436 KB, 980x300) Image search: [Google]
iNxgIo.png
436 KB, 980x300
Why doesn't this game go on any good sales

Anyone own it? Is it worth the 10 dollar investment?
>>
>>321166609
>Find a terminal and have your hacker get the money from it, then walk away.
That's just to gather resources, the actual robberies take place in the bank facilities in each game and there again are a great variety of ways to approach the mission that I don't think the original games had.
You said that they slowed it down, I think it was to facilitate a more deliberate approach that the game encourages.
>>
>>321166814
>in each game
in each area.
>>321166804
If you're worried about it, pirate it first, but do it before the game goes back up to $30.
I got it at full price and I think I got my money's worth but there are clearly people who disagree.
>>
>>321166609
Omfg i remember that. BANK robberies were the best shit ever, and ammasing armies of zombies was amazing also.

Syndicate Wars is great. I still have the original CD.
I bought Sattelite Reign yesterday, and i didnt like it too much. Deffinitively is NOT comparable to Syndicate Wars. But i'm willing to give it a chance, and won't refund it.
>>
It's okay for those 10$ but don't expect a masterpiece.
It's made in Unity and that in itself means performance for what it does is shit and scope limited as the engine doesn't handle open world scale very well.
The missions are pretty mediocre for the genre and character customization is rather flat for a modern game - perhaps intentionally to keep it in confines of the old Syndicate games.
Story is shit.
Visuals are repetitive and too much neon without style/class.
There's something about controls that bugs me - every action has an artificial delay from the animation the character carries out. While more realistic it feels extremely awkward because you can't quickly react to things by clicking on something.
The world is also pretty sterile - I expected a lot more creative possibilities to utilize terrain, destruction and character traits to twist situations into something exciting.
>>
>>321162283
I really expected to enjoy it, it has everything it should, but there it sits on my desktop, unplayed for months after about 5 hours.
>>
>>321162283
No.
>>
What if I have fantasies about playing a vidya as the Major and doing cool cyberpunk shit a la Ghost in the Shell.

Will this game scratch that itch?
>>
>>321171009
No.
Go play human revolution.
>>
>>321171620
I already have multiple times.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.