[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about 64/PS1 era games that is just charming? Even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 250px-Supersmashbox.jpg (29 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
250px-Supersmashbox.jpg
29 KB, 250x183
What is it about 64/PS1 era games that is just charming? Even for people who didn't grow up with them, they just seem to sort of enchant anyone who plays them. They're comfy, even for younger gamers, in a way that most games now aren't, but I can't put my finger on why.
>>
>>321152672
The games industry wasn't so hellbent on marketing grimdark and serious bullshit, and the target audience was still significantly younger than what it is today.
>>
>>321152915
>the target audience was still significantly younger than what it is today

That's a true statement but then why do they still emit that same atmosphere even for older players? For example, I recall when Viva Pinata came out, several of my friends were embarrassed of buying it and chastised by others for buying a "children's game". On the other hand, I was like 10 when Mario 64 came out and I remember high schoolers being hype about it. Shit, my uncle was grown with a child and he was hype about it.
>>
Games weren't as edgy back then. It was before GTA3.
>>
File: 1368587302738.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1368587302738.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
>>321153354
>game's weren't as edgy

LOL
>>
>>321153578
>chibis
>>
>>321153282
Because the majority of the audience wasn't older back in the 64/PS1 era, it was mostly comprised of sub-18 year olds. The modern market caters an older crowd now because it's not a small industry like it was back then, and the 18+ crowd usually has readily available disposable income. Nintendo is really the only one marketing to a younger crowd now, and they've cornered that part of the industry because it's what they've been doing for decades.
You're also trying to categorize the sentiment of the times. People who were hyped for Mario 64 bashed on Viva Pinata because they got older, and in all honesty, nobody gives a shit about fucking Viva Pinata compared to Mario in terms of brand recognition.

tl;dr you were younger back then, what you're experiencing is nostalgia and fondness for a different time, you know more about the games industry and how shit is marketed, and everything you're describing is what you feel about games from that era, so nobody is going to be able to provide a suitable explanation.
>>
File: kot blini.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kot blini.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>321152672
The industry was at it's most experimental stage here. The first 3D games needed to be very interesting or people were going to think they were ugly.
>>
They were colorful and you can see how much effort many developers put in their games trying to deliver the best possible experience despite being a completely new territory.
>>
>>321152672
The creators actually put their heart and soul into making the game and were not excessively greedy like nowadays that they release unfinished games that would still suck even if complete.
>>
You had to work with less, N64 had shit for memory and PS1 had no idea what Z-layering was, so devs had to work around it.

We're reaching the point where That gen of games could be VAPORWAVED back into popularity
>>
>>321152672
>Even for people who didn't grow up with them, they just seem to sort of enchant anyone who plays them.
I grew up in that era and I can't fucking stand playing most of these games because of how shitty they aged.
>>
>>321157561
You must be joking.There must be games that you can always go back and play again.
>>
>>321157850
The original Spyro trilogy, MGS1, and Paper Mario are about the only ones. Most of the others are just painful.
>>
>>321158115
What about any from the megaman series.
>>
I grew up with them so I have heavy nostalgia for the 16bit and 32/64bit eras... but I'd say it's because game developers were willing to experiment and try to create something fun more so than trying to copy paste each other for profit.
>>
>>321152672
>They're comfy, even for younger gamers
They'll rather be whining about graphics. I thought the same for SNES/Genesis, guess what?
>>
>>321158398
I guess 2D stuff is fine, was talking more about the 3D stuff. The little bit of Legends I've played was awful.
>>
>>321152672
no SJW mobs scaring publishers off. small groups of PC thugs actually had decent causes
>>
What's so fucking magical about Wii/DS era RPG's?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.