[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Japs so obsessed with weird/super technical game mechanics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: 061.gif (60 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
061.gif
60 KB, 720x720
Why are Japs so obsessed with weird/super technical game mechanics?

I've been trying to wrap my head around Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] grind grid and I still don't understand it.
>>
Because it's a lot better than the "Press X to watch a 30 minute cutscene" design philosophy that western developers love so much.
>>
File: 1361122068869.jpg (54 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1361122068869.jpg
54 KB, 400x300
>game has just frames
>>
>>321132947
I'm very good at uniel so i'll try to help you understand.

The grd circle at the bottom completes after 14 seconds i think, whoever has the most blocks at that point gets access to vorpal, which gives you a 10% damage buff as well as allowing you to cancel any move via chain shift by pressing DD, and also guard cancel at the cost of losing vorpal. CS also gives you meter proportional to how many blocks you had filled before you activated it.

GRD is gained by walking forward, connecting attacks, holding 5D to charge it running, shorthopping (6D), activating Veil Off, and correctly shielding moves. GRD is lost by backdashing, getting grd broken by either getting hit by veil off or incorrectly shielding a move/getting thrown while shielding, or by using your characters force function which is used by pressing A+B.

In short, play well, get grd, play like a shitter, lose all your grd and die.
>>
>>321133134
Yes because as we all know there is no such thing as middle ground and everything is always extremes
>>
also who do you main? Orie main here, divine thrust da gawd and that backdash is too good.

I also want her to step on me with her heels
>>
>>321132947

>Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late

Does that title actually mean anything or is it just japs sticking a dictionary in a blender and taking whatever word salad comes out?
>>
File: 2649561-header_zps2aab15bc.png (301 KB, 600x275) Image search: [Google]
2649561-header_zps2aab15bc.png
301 KB, 600x275
>>321134095

>he doesn't UNREAL BLACK THINGS!
>>
File: seth.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
seth.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>321134095

HOLOGRAM SUMMER AGAIN: TRI HERMES BLACK LAND

>>321134056

webm related
>>
File: eltnum.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
eltnum.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>321132947
>>
>>321134620
oh man you chose arguably the hardest starting character besides Yuzuriha
I don't know what they were thinking making a character without neutral in a neutral focused game
>>
>>321135108

I just copy Rion's neutral game.

Jumping to the top of the screen and putting up orbs and pray that they guess the spot where i land wrong
>>
>>321132947
>>321133771
I could have sworn this thread was a parody of some tragic weeb game design given the fake sounding title and the description of those mechanics. This discussion sounds straight out of an Onion or Something Awful article.
>>
>>321135289
At least you get tons of buffs in st. Literally all I wanted for Orie is a projectile invul thrust and couldn't even get that, decreased minimum height on j.2C and decreased recovery on her summons are nice though.
>>
File: tumblr_n9ljunq1SF1spivfbo1_400.png (99 KB, 393x418) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9ljunq1SF1spivfbo1_400.png
99 KB, 393x418
>>
Because jap devs grew up in arcades where being able to do cool and difficult things in a game made people watch you play and think you were cool, which they all remember as the best moments of their lives.

So they're trying to recreate that. Create a game that lets some players stand out and feel awesome.
>>
>Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]

Is there a word to describe this style of nonsense naming convention that japanese developers use? This Guilty Gear Accent Core Backslash Tilde and Fate Stay Night Cross Dream Down Four Fifths is just idiotic, but nobody bats an eye. Am I taking crazy pills?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.