[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Convince me that the PS1 Spyro games weren't the true GOAT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: spyro.jpg (292 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
spyro.jpg
292 KB, 900x900
Convince me that the PS1 Spyro games weren't the true GOAT platformers of their era.

>better than SMB64
>better than Crash
>better than Banjo-Kazooie

This is not an opinion. This is a fact.
>>
Can't argue with it.
>>
>>321132152

It is a fact, however muh innovation, you know?

Spyro had better level design and was the best looking collectathron and the one with the most soul put into it and every single sequel improved upon that.

Also the OST was a masterpiece.

Crash was more of a 3D platform sidescroller so it doesn't count when comparing.
>>
I played all of those except banjoo and spyro is still my favorite platformer of that era.
>>
>>321132152
I prefer SM64, but I'd pick Spyro over Crash or Banjo.

Love 'em all, tho.
>>
>>321132152
>Spyro>Crash

I DISAGREE BUT YOU CAN THINK WHATEVER YOU WANT.
>>
>>321132152
Spyro 3 is probably the best platformer of all time.
>>
SM64 is the better game but Spyro 1 is more dear to my heart. Can't say the same about 2 & 3 but they were fun too.
>>
>>321132893
>SM64 is the better game

How?
>>
>>321132152
No, you're right.
>>
File: Bianca-1.jpg (41 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Bianca-1.jpg
41 KB, 450x300
>>321132807
>Bianca wasn't the final playable companion

It was so close to being the GOAT
>>
>>321132152
But I agree with you.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123 KB, 1620x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123 KB, 1620x1080
>not this game
Into the trash you go.
>>
>>321133201
more complex platforming mechanics
level design that takes advantage of said mechanics and is thus also more complex
smoother movement
better camera
more varied objectives

Spyro has better music and atmosphere
>>
File: 1436930552216.jpg (34 KB, 252x226) Image search: [Google]
1436930552216.jpg
34 KB, 252x226
>>321132807
>Spyro 3 is probably the best platformer of all time.
Too bad the platforming isn't the game's strong point. It's more a collectathon game.

It's still a great game though, but much like the third crash bandicoot it suffers from having a ton of annoying gimmicks. I'd say the second spyro game is the best, but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>321133669
>liking backtracking: the platformer
>>
>>321132513
Just to give some conversation

>Every single sequel improved upon that

Spyro 3 didn't improve much compared to the 2nd one as much as the 2nd one did from the 1st one, that's also the case with Crash.

It's obvious the had the more than polished pool of assets to make games and started pumping content and ideas in two different games. Spyro 3 and Crash 3 felt like "more of the same, but better" and "not much of an improvement" (which isn't a bad thing, in fact they are brilliantly well done games so no complaining), they're still fantastic games, but I feel like both 2's have their own unique charm I can't resist to.

I like Crash more because of nostalgia, but as you say it has nothing to do with Spyro, so It's between Spyro, SM64 and Banjo. I'd say Spyro > Banjo > SM64.

I didn't really ever get the fact that you had to re-enter the level in Mario games to get another collectible. Yes, the level kind of changes, but it feels less connected, I don't know. I like how tight and consistent Banjo and Spyro worlds are. Every level feels like a full package.

Can't blame Mario, it literally set the direction for the 3D plat. genre, but it's aged questionably.
>>
2>3>1
>>
>>321133709
>better camera

Nope
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.