[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to play this aside from shitposting about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: DarkSouls2.jpg (73 KB, 784x484) Image search: [Google]
DarkSouls2.jpg
73 KB, 784x484
Never played any of the Souls games and all I know is /v/ loves to shitpost about the difficulty.
>>
if you like grinding and dying then it's perfect.
>>
It's not so much the difficulty, the games were just intended for people who were tired of games holding their hands with long tutorials. It's like the 3D Zeldas without the five hours of boring bullshit in the beginning. Instead the game just drops you in a world and its like "figure it out bitch"
>>
How are the art , atmosphere, combat , story?
>>
>>321131075
play ds1 first retard
>>
File: THE LANCE.jpg (470 KB, 1204x826) Image search: [Google]
THE LANCE.jpg
470 KB, 1204x826
>>321131075
It got LANCE
A FUCKING LANCE
>>
>>321131075
Souls games aren't actually all that difficult; they're only challenging enough to make the player invested in the world.

That said 2 is definitely the worst, play DeS/DaS1/BB first and only play 2 if you're hankering for more.
>>
>>321134221
art = great
atmosphere = great
combat = great
story = meh
>>
I have played all and own all the souls games, including BB. My main complaints about DaSII are it doesn't feel and stick with you like DaS did, and the "shockwave/hitbox" bullshit detection is true. Enemies aggro you from miles away, the Sentinels in Forest can stunlock the shit out of you, Ancient Dragon's fire breath has a 100 meter area of effect. It's fun, but too much bullshit and programming that needed to be fixed.
>>
>>321131075
If you're a total beginner to the souls games then I would maybe suggest starting with DSII (SoTFS if you have it), it's a hell of a lot easier to know what you're doing in DSII than DS.

It's hard but not as hard as people claim, there's speedruns of people doing it in like an hour.
>>
Not really. The whole "it's a good game just not a good dark souls game" is shit. The game is just awful. Plays and looks like old clunky garbage. Levels look unfinished and uninspired. Enemies are boring guys in armor and they love to add 12 dudes in every single tiny room just to make it "le hard game".

Just wait for dark souls 3 instead
>>
>>321131075
I only recently started playing DS1. It will kick your shit in until you learn the general mechanics and get a little less shit. It is an unfair game, but that is part of the appeal. If you can get DS1 for cheap I would recommend it, just make sure to download the fix for it if you are playing on PC.

Be prepared to get frustrated at bullshit for a while. But once you break that wall of being shit, the game really starts to take off. Especially once you git gud at shanking assholes in the back.
>>
Start with Dark Souls 1, if you like it then Dark Souls 3 will be releasing soon and it'll play more like Dark Souls 1 than Dark Souls 2. Even though the first one and the second one share a lot of basic mechanics there's a large change in the animation style that removed a lot of the weightyness and inertia that completely changed the combat feel of the game.
>>
If you're going to get into the Souls games, don't play Bloodbourne first. The previous games will feel slow and clunky.
>>
File: hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHA.gif (1 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHA.gif
1 MB, 256x192
>>321135560
>dark souls
>story
>>
It's got a shitload of content and a whackload of viable builds. You can build pretty much any playstyle you want and it's viable.

>>321134221
>Art
Great. Fromsoft knows what's up
>Atmosphere
Decent but a little weaker overall
>Combat
improved in many ways
>Story
Decent now that they've fleshed out the whole Monarch theme and added the Aldia encounters etc.
>>
>>321136384
As long as you didn't pick the Master Key it's very hard to go the wrong way (for long) in Dark Souls 1.

You get told to ring 2 bells, one above and one far, far below. Getting to the first one is a fairly linear path and should teach you the basics of the game.
>>
>>321135298
What in the hell can I switch to that's not the Grand Lance? I've been using it my entire NG playthrough and I'm sick of it. Even the Greatsword feels like weak and slow garbage in comparison.
>>
>>321136428
Sounds like somebody couldn't get past Fallen Giant. Or Things Betwixt...
>>
>>321136673
Slow and clunky is the point of the combat system, that's why Bloodborne was somewhat less intense than DaS.
>>
How hard is this spider bitch when you upgrade the bonfire two times? I really want that Moonlight Greatsword.
>>
>>321137270
Not him but I finished the game a few weeks after release and all his critique is valid.
>>
>>321136961
>>321135560
>Atmosphere
>great
>decent

clearly we did not play the same game. The atmosphere in DaS2 is fucking terrible.
>>
>>321137063
Get Ivory King UGS. It's slow but knocking people on their asses from the range of a spear is fun.
>>
>>321137415
>implied implications
and yes, we probably didn't play the same game. You probably skipped SotFS even though atmosphere is something it did a lot of things to improve.
>>
>>321137415
There's a lot of area that have great atmosphere.
Try to be objective anon, don't cloud your judgement based on your hatred for this game.
>>
File: LANCE.png (1 MB, 1364x768) Image search: [Google]
LANCE.png
1 MB, 1364x768
>>321137063
Have you tried the Heide Greatlance?
>>
>>321137415
Well compared to other Souls games it is, but it's still far better than most any shooter out there. It's kind of a basic fantasy setting, but it has its moments.

Playing though I thought Dragon Aerie was neat, the Gutter was cool, and most of the DLC was amazing.
>>
>>321137283
I find Bloodborne a lot more intense because of how squishy you are in the game. I liked the slower and more methodical pace of Demon's/Dark Souls
>>
>>321136961
>Art Great
Nah, DaS2 enemy design is really boring. Plus all the animations are mo-capped, which is bad from an artistic standpoint (and mechanically, actually. This game is a lot slower than the other games because it's scaled to the animations, and a lot of the enemies have attacks that don't make sense because of the animations. Tracking in the other games makes sense because it's tuned to the animations, in this game you have stuff like the turtle knights sliding around on their feet). The other games have hand-crafted animations that give them a stylistic flair that is completely missing from this game.
>>
>>321137001
I only recently started, and I picked Thief because of that key and for shanking. I am going to the up bell at the moment. Stuck on the Bell Gargoyles. Did I go the right way?

I determined that that was the intended path given that those Skeletons in the graveyard didn't die to one backstab.
>>
not really, it's basically just roll then stab

play Ninja Gaiden or something instead of just grinding around with slow clunky controls
>>
I played the first and found it simple and underwhelming. The ai was terrible, the camera was a joke, being killed because of the bad camera was infuriating, and the world itself was mostly drab and forgettable. Once I mastered riposte the "challenge" was gone., and I started my game fighting Skeleton's first (headed downward rather than up those stairs) so I learned fast and hard. Babby's first action adventure was overrated.

The second one was way better. The ai was craftier for the most part, environmental challenges became more hazardous without being too unfair, and they nerfed riposte enough that is not great, but I'm not insta-slaying everything that comes at me. Magic's pretty much suck though, but a nice blade or mace make most fights challenging without camera death or simplistic ai zerging.

The game really isn't hard, just remembering the hazards and figuring out what works are really the trick. Patience is really all it takes to win.
>>
File: 1497128552217.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1497128552217.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321138391
>Plus all the animations are mo-capped,

Pretty sure there's multiple animation that is copy pasted from DaS and DeS.
Gonna need source on the mo-cap things.
Enemy tracking is a fine mechanic that looks ugly, but thats it.

Also, animation is just the small part of it

>Armor design
>those variety of level design since they are not constricted to the 'connectivity' (most of the great level in DaS that is great doesn't have this so called connectivity either way eg; Anor Londor, Ariamis etc)
>enemy design

>The other games have hand-crafted animations that give them a stylistic flair that is completely missing from this game.
What? There's a lot of crazy animation from this game, especially from the DLC.
>>
File: 1397310179661.jpg (175 KB, 1950x1073) Image search: [Google]
1397310179661.jpg
175 KB, 1950x1073
>>321138879
>The second one was way better
>>
>>321139105
It is better objectively.
>>
>>321138903
>those variety of level design since they are not constricted to the 'connectivity'

Level design of objectively worst in DaS2 and the world feels like shit because it's not connected.
>>
>>321131075

Difficulty is why you want to play it. It is easily the hardest Souls game including Bloodborne if you count the DLC.
>>
>>321138903
What weapons are those?
>>
>>321139451
>world feels like shit because it's not connected.

Anon please, even in DaS these so called connectivity is only about half of the game area.
Not to mention how lack luster each of these are individually because they are designed for the sake of it.
The best, and most complex level in DaS are all separated.

Think about it for a second anon.
>>
>>321139568
Other than getting to and fighting Lud & Zallen the DLC wasn't particularly hard
>>
>>321139727
Majestic greatsword. Pretty much just the Abyss Greatsword from DaS1 except you have to use it in your left hand/power stance it to get the cool moves
>>
>>321139837
easily harder anything bloodborne or any other souls game has to offer. Difficulty doesn't equate to how good the game is though.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.