[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does this game get good? Answer genuinely.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3
File: super mario galaxy 2.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
super mario galaxy 2.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
When does this game get good?

Answer genuinely.
>>
Depends, how far are you?

If you're half way through world 2 and aren't enjoying it, you should probably stop.
>>
When I got to the slide level i the tree I was more or less satisfied enough from that for the rest of the game, or at least until the throwback galaxy which sealed the deal.
Also road to Bowser returning was a really nice touch
>>
>>321109697
See if you feel the same after the first set of levels
>>
I'd like to know as well. I finished the first world and could not understand the praise this game gets. it felt completely dumbed down compared to Sunshine.
>>
>>321110920
I just beat Petey Piranha.
>>
almost immediately
>>
>>321114428
Literally how?
>>
>>321114428
I don't know if it's "dumbed down" but the lack of belly dive really pisses me off and makes the game feel like shit.
>>
>>321109697

why the fuck do people like this more than Galaxy 1?

I played all of galaxy 1 on my brothers' wii and parts of galaxy 2 but galaxy 1 was far superior

>nicer looking worlds
>actual level from which you can access all worlds and no shitty map = super mario 64 style
>fucking flying like superman
>>
>>321116263
galaxy 1 is trash too
>>
>>321116324

explain
>>
>>321116263
Swings and roundabouts
Hub was far superior in Galaxy 1, like you said
As were the power-ups
Green Stars were far better than having to re-do the game
Comets were better in SMG2, I remember fewer 100 purple coins spread out across the world style stars.
SMG2 also had better gimmick levels than 1
>>
>>321116324
>the best 3d mario game is trash
okay buddy.
>>
>>321116263
1 was so easy that it just wasn't fun. 2 at least had some challenge to keep things interesting in a few parts
>>
>>321116263

>actual level from which you can access all worlds and no shitty map = super mario 64 style
The observatory was hardly anything like Peach's Castle or Delfino Plaza, and the domes were just fancier ways of arranging "Worlds". It's the same shit.
>fucking flying like superman
For all of one fucking planetoid.
>>
>>321116519
>>321116762
both have shitty or non-existent hub worlds

movement just feels like shit compared to sunshine but especially shit compared to 64
>>
>>321116594

>Green Stars

what the fuck are green stars? long time no play here

>SMG2 also had better gimmick levels than 1

for example? I guess I gotta play the whole game but for example, playing with yoshi was shit (I LOVED playing with yoshi in other games)
>>
I enjoyed Galaxy 1. Galaxy 2 felt like a giant expansion pack, and I enjoyed it as well.

If you don't enjoy the game, you should play a different game instead!
>>
>>321116897
oh also most worlds feel super linear because it's just planet hopping

there were stages in 64 and sunshine (less so in sunshine though) where you'd enter a world and there were several choices you could make as to which star you wanted.

basically the galaxy games are linear as fuck
>>
>>321109697
It doesn't SMG1 was good, but 2 was trash
>>
>>321116897
Comet observatory is nice, I like it more than Isle Delfino, due to not having the Yoshi boat bullshit, but not as much as Peach's castle in SM64
>>
>>321116897

>shit compared to 64

everything is shit compared to mario 64, what're you even implying?

mario 64 is one of the best games in existence, quite hard to top that
>>
They're both casual shit and inferior to Sunshine. GOAT controls and GOAT open world design. Fuck Nintendo and Miyamoto for dumbing down their games.
>>
>>321117124
of course but you have a bunch of 18 year olds on /v/ who swear that the galaxy games are the best 3D mario games, like this guy:
>>321116762
>>
>>321117023

Linearity isn't inherently bad, and I still really enjoyed the levels & general atmosphere
>>
>>321117182
Oh boy, "spot the guy born in '95" is my favorite game!
>>
>>321117016
>If you don't enjoy the game, you should play a different game instead!
What are some good games for Dolphin?
>>
>>321116961

>>what the fuck are green stars? long time no play here

Once you get 120 stars. Three new stars hide themselves in each level. They range from slightly out of the way to using physics exploits to climb the geometry.
It's pretty blatant padding but it's at least less blatant than "do it all over except this time you're green mario".
>>
>>321117249
true the 2D mario games were linear yet weren't nearly as boring as galaxy 1&2
>>
>>321117430

aight
>>
from the start unless you have shit taste
>>
>>321117510
idk then man
>>
>>321116961
The slide level in the tree is the main one, there's the chilli yoshi ones with the SMW music, there's the dark cake one where you leave Yoshi to his doom, and then the reduxes of older levels (I fell for the nostalgia-pandering hook line and sinker)

SMG1 had the sweet house one, and the toy one but that's about all I can really remember
>>
File: Cloud_Mario_NSMBVR.png (2 MB, 1625x2146) Image search: [Google]
Cloud_Mario_NSMBVR.png
2 MB, 1625x2146
>>321109697
The only thing I liked about the game are the comfy cloud levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1Pl1kmnh4
>>
File: 1403439197850.jpg (25 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1403439197850.jpg
25 KB, 600x450
SMG1
>Better hub world
>Less gimmicky levels
>Actually has a (sub)plot
>Rosalina

SMG2
>More content
>More challenge
>Improved visuals

They are both good games.
>>
>>321117124

>everything is shit compared to the most overrated Mario game in existence
>I haven't played SM64 in over a decade

Both Galaxy games are much more enjoyable to play today than 64 or Sunshine, and I've played all 4 games back to back. The only parts of 64 I still find fun are the Bowser levels, and those are as linear as the Galaxy games. the best parts of Sunshine are the linear fluddless stages. Galaxy 1 had a few open-ended stages like 64/Sunshine and they were the worst stages in the game. Galaxy 2 had the best quality stages overall and is the most enjoyable to replay.

You'd have to be 12 to seriously think open-ended level designs in Mario games are fun. That's just nostalgia talking. Anybody who says otherwise is full of shit.
>>
>>321116263
Some actual challenge
>>
>>321109697
This thread is hot garbage. It's actually indisputable that galaxy 1 and 2 are the two best 3d mario games, one is 2nd and one is 1st, depending on whether you prefer good level design from a gameplay standpoint (2) or good level design from an atmospheric standpoint (1).

There is no debate about this, only sonyshits and sunshinefags crying that their games are terrible compared to these masterpieces of 3d platforming.
>>
>>321118378
Roaslina is in 2 if you get the 241st/242nd star, I forget which one it is

>>321118404
I agree about the open levels in Galaxy being the worst, except for the Throwback Galaxy
>>
>>321116263
Galaxy 1 was the more memorable experience, but Galaxy 2 was more focused on pure gameplay. It's essentially an expansion pack scaled into another full game, and I think the two compliment each other quite nicely as a result. The first game pulls you in and wows you, gets you into using all of its interesting new mechanics, and then the second game focuses on giving you more stuff to do.
>>
>>321118951
but you don't have movement like this in the galaxy games:
https://youtu.be/5qM278YSN2s?t=277

i don't care if the soundtrack and graphics are good.
>>
>>321118951
Personally Banjo Tooie is my favorite 3d platformer. But yeah I'll agree Galaxy 2 is my favorite 3d mario.
>>
64/Sunshine > Galaxy 1/2
>>
>>321119228
>All those dumb donation shout outs
Still annoying no matter what year or what game
>>
>>321119405
i think the whole community takes itself too seriously.

but i still enjoy the skilled gameplay.
>>
>>321109697
it's a really fun game, i just wish mario was faster like he was in 64/sunshine.

2nd half of the game is the most fun and there are shitloads of stars to collect
>>
>>321109697
The moment you start it up
>>
>>321119745
The 2D segment wasn't fun and neither was the Petey Pirahna stage.

However I'll play another stage right now and see if it improves.
>>
>>321119228
Level design is much more important than movement in a Mario game. All you need is to run and jump.
>>
>>321119228
I mean, you have the varying gravity. You have way way cooler movement, even though your control over it is a little less good.
I'm a sucker for games like that, but it's not how I like mario.
>>321119248
Banjo tooie is great. I'd place it on level with galaxy 2 and slightly below 1.
>>
>>321120006
>I mean, you have the varying gravity. You have way way cooler movement, even though your control over it is a little less good.
what the fuck
>>
>>321119854
>However I'll play another stage right now and see if it improves.

Your awful taste needs improvement more than anything in SMG2 does
>>
>>321120003
jumping from planet to planet isn't good level design

and don't fucking bullshit me on this because that is like 70%+ of the fucking content.
>>
>>321120331
>Jumping from thing to thing isn't good level design for a Mario game

Sunshine was trash because that's what it almost never had.
>>
>>321120209
2nd stage contains yoshi. so far i hate yoshi movement.
>>
>>321118404

>implying I haven't played mario 64 in over a decade

I'm specifically talking about the far superior ds version which to this day, I still sometimes play

I'm not saying galaxy 1 or 2 are shit games, I love both games. still, 64 ds beats both in atmosphere as well as level design.

you're saying the nostalgia in me is talking but you're probably just amazed by the visuals of the newer games (which are indeed stunningly great)
>>
>>321120635
Ok I'll bite. What's so bad about it?
>>
>>321120780
no belly dive
>>
>>321120635
>Yoshi movement.
>Not taking the time to see how well he's used in the actual stages

Go back to speedrunning faggotry.
>>
>>321120006
>>321120003

>muh gravity
>movement is less important than level design

this is how you spot fucking kiddies, I swear. either you're trolling like hell or just plain wrong

mario games were ALWAYS about movement first and level design second. without precise movement, level design doesn't even matter
>>
>>321120981
>Not taking the time to see how well he's used in the actual stages
examples? the movement is by far more important and i don't think there's any gimmicks that can make up for it.
>>
>>321121087
>the movement is by far more important

You might think otherwise because you were born in 1994 but Mario games were always founded on solid level design.
>>
>>321121369
this makes no sense. mario has always been a balance of both which is why SMB3 and SMW have good movement.

however i'll take good movement + shitty level design over shitty movement + good level design. i don't care how good your level design is if movement feels slow or unresponsive.
>>
>>321109697
I hated that there was no hubworld, it felt lacking in the exploration sense.

I hated the waggle, holy shit I just couldn't get used to it even with the wiimote pro addon.

It does have a great soundtrack and looks, it's a shame the marios on the wiiU are so fucking terrible.
>>
>>321121606
>I hated that there was no hubworld, it felt lacking in the exploration sense.
very true
>>
>>321121606
Except 3d world is great
>>
>>321109697
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk3mSnHdTT8

10/10 soundtrack
>>
>>321120207
Did I make myself unclear? Fucking illiterate.
Have you even played the game? There are a number of different gravitational situations in the game that come together to form an interesting physics engine. But you have less fine control over mario like in the speedrun that was posted.
>>321120331
>jumping from a to b is not good level design
>platformer
how does it feel knowing that you will age and die but they will never fix your intensely concentrated mental disabilities?
>>321120635
this is the worst post I've seen in 2 years.
>>321121018
>oh no! the game doesnt appeal to my autistic niche in the speedrunning world in which one must use frame perfect precise presses to execute moves which save literal fractions of milliseconds! I guess it's a SHIT GAME
Consider calling a self harm hotline. There are people there that might help you get through some stuff.
>>
>>321121737
I played it and fell asleep. Doesn't help that the graphics rely on over-saturation and made my eyes tire out within an hour or so. It's easily the worst 3d mario.

It's fun with friends, but anything is fun with friends.
>>
>>321121558
>SMB3 and SMW have good movement.

The movement is nothing special in either of those games. They're memorable for their game structure and array of power ups

And the movement in Galaxy is plenty responsive. It just doesn't have MUH BELLY SLIDE.
>>
>>321121798
The fucking energy in this song is so damn powerful.
One of many beautiful, deep compositions crafting the masterful soundtrack of the galaxy series.
>>
>>321121804
>There are a number of different gravitational situations in the game that come together to form an interesting physics engine. But you have less fine control over mario like in the speedrun that was posted.
yea but how could you say these "interesting gravitational situations" are interesting when they're not

>jumping from a to b is not good level design
jumping is essential in platforming. simply jumping from planet to planet is boring

>this is the worst post I've seen in 2 years.
calm down

>autistic niche in the speedrunning world
chill out nobody here is a speed runner or wants to be a speed runner.
>>
>>321114428
You're only thinking that because sunshine's levels are actually poorly designed but your nostalgia blinds you from thinking otherwise.

At least half the time you don't know where the fuck you should be or what you should be doing in Sunshine, which has never been the point of a Mario game.

It had great environments and a neat gimmick in Fludd but it's not a better game
>>
>>321121947
>The movement is nothing special in either of those games.
lol
>>
>>321121018

Level design is WAY more important than movement, dude. Physics engines aren't perfect and have limitations, and the whole point of level design is to work around those limitations and create a fun level despite the limitations of the engine..

If movement is really all that matters, then some random indie ragdoll physics game with shitty level design could be GOTY for you.
>>
>>321122114
>At least half the time you don't know where the fuck you should be or what you should be doing in Sunshine, which has never been the point of a Mario game.

Only if you're retarded. If you can jump into a painting in SM64, you can navigate yourself through SMS.

I'm not even the guy you responded to, but "hurr nostalgia" is fucking retarded. You can say the same for SMG. I still replay SMS from time to time even though I absolutely hate current day nintendo because it's a great game with interesting levels and challenges
>>
>>321122142
It's all running and jumping.
>>
>>321122460
every platformer must feel identical to you in terms of movement. how sad
>>
>>321122114
>At least half the time you don't know where the fuck you should be or what you should be doing in Sunshine

Are you retarded?
>>
>>321122526
>Are you retarded?
How could anyone be on this board if they aren't retarded?
>>
>>321109697
never, just stop playing.
>>
>>321123865
best advice
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.