[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did /v/ become such a hive of cynical, contrarian, shitposting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
When did /v/ become such a hive of cynical, contrarian, shitposting children? It didn't used to be this way. It's actually kind of funny every once in a while but it's kind of sad that it's impossible to have quality discussions around here anymore.
>>
It was always like this, but /v/ was cooler before reddit invaded. Cod was bashed, girlfriend threads were deleted, and we had actually good memes like GALO sengen.
>>
>>321109253
When Galo Sengen was big /v/ was fucking RIFE with trap and feels threads
>>
/v/ was better before reddit, waifufags, Dark Souls, and even the /b/ invasion some 6 odd years ago.

It's laughable how much like reddit this place is now.
>>
>>321108242
A series of disappointing games

MGS4, MGS5, FF13, Cowadoody, EA eating all the good devs, Bioware diving into mediocrity...etc.

/v/...had a hard life.
>>
When good games stopped coming out.
>>
>>321108242
>When did /v/ become such a hive of cynical, contrarian, shitposting children?

It happened when reddit and 9gag came into existence. I'm not even joking.

There's been shitposting before, but I know what you mean about it being absolutely out of control now. You'd see it every now and then, but nowadays every single post is one.
>>
This is the consequences of the faustian bargain you make for lax moderation. With anonymous users and no sign-up, I can go into any thread and attempt to derail it with literally no consequences.

And because anonymous posting is the norm, I can do anything within the rules of the site to achieve my goals. I can make a bad argument, then come back in 20 minutes or the next day and make the same bad argument again because threads are so transient. I can pretend to be a caricature of my opponent and use that to make their position look worse. I can do any number of tricks.

Anonymous posting doesn't lead to honest discussion. It leads to anarchy.
>>
>>321109401
Trap and feel threads are better than girlfriend and CoD threads.

Like I said, /v/ was mostly same but cooler.
>>
>>321109513
This kind of stings even more because there's really no place today like what /v/ used to be. If you're as active as /v/, reddit or neogaf you're a shithole. If you're alright like 4+4 you're slow as fuck. Back in the day, we had a good, fast board unlike anything that exists now.
>>
/v/'s always been filled with social retards. The board just used to be filled with the fun loving social retards you love once you get to know them. Now it's just nit-picking self important social retards no one likes.
>>
>>321109903

this post reeks of reddit
>>
>>321109915
feel and girlfriend threads are one and the same

and the fact you rate feel and trap threads above something actually vidya related outs you as another cancerous fuckhead
>>
>>321109976
>if you're alright like 4+4

Hilarious, since that's the most reddit place outside of reddit.
>>
>>321109903
It leads to anarchy when the posters are edgy teens instead of rational folks.
>>
>>321108242
Time happened. The population increased. You got older. This board culture became homogenized, and now feels like every other website like it, just with a different interface. Your tolerance for stupid bullshit decreased with your cynicism. It's not totally your fault, but you are a part of the problem.
>>
>>321108242

Like 6-7 years ago, ever since Millennials could use the internet.
>>
>>321110135

Reddit has even worse problems.

Redditors hate moderation, so it already starts out on a bad foot, but the upvote/downvote system makes things even worse by ensuring that "catchy" or "meme" posts that are posted quickly enough rise to the top.

Worse, if there's a circlejerk in the subreddit, they can literally hide your post not because ti broke any rules or because it was "low quality" but because it ran contrary to the jerk.

Let's not even get into voting brigades and other vote manipulation schemes.
>>
>>321109976
>>there's really no place today like what /v/ used to be.
That's the exact same thing that /b/ said about itself. And /co/. And every other fucking board on this website. Even when the other chan sites formed because of the stupid infighting, there were people claiming this place wasn't like it used to be.
And for clarification, /v/ is faster than it ever has been since "back in the day," you mook. If you want to talk about shit like back in the day, talk about the fact that there's nothing that leaves a lasting impression on this place anymore. Talk about the fact that because of how fast shit flies through /v/ and /b/--because they've been pretty much the same fucking board since 2011--nothing sticks. There's nothing to enjoy anymore; >>321110097
has it right, there's no more retarded but fun shit to actually care about.
>>
The Old Republic killed /v/. Ever since, this dumb fucking board tries to make every new game release into the new tortanic.
>>
>>321110182

You are not and have never been a "rational" actor. You bring your own biases to discussions.

This isn't a bad thing, since this applies to everybody. The only bad thing is convincing yourself that you're special somehow when you're not.
>>
>>321110182
>>It leads to anarchy when the posters are edgy teens instead of rational folks.
Let's not fuck around here: this place is, and has always been, populated by a bunch of generally intelligent people acting like retards. The anonymity of 4chan and other places like it allows people to say and do bullshit that they would never consider in their normal lives in the real world. Yes, there are some edgy little queers on /v/ and the other boards, but you're far more likely to have your shit thread derailed by someone who disagrees with your opinion, or otherwise doesn't give a fuck and wants to be a cunt because they can. You're not special, you're just like the rest of us, don't be a salty bitch about it.
>>
>>321112297
The Tortanic threads were way too fun for their own good.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.