[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The HTC Vive was delayed because of a huge technological bre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: newviveshit.png (317 KB, 802x870) Image search: [Google]
newviveshit.png
317 KB, 802x870
The HTC Vive was delayed because of a huge technological breakthrough

>HTC's Vive VR headset, being developed in collaboration with Valve, was supposed to be available to the public, in limited quantities, by the end of this year. Unfortunately, HTC put the brakes on that plan a couple weeks ago, saying it won't be released commercially—that is, to people other than developers—until April 2016. But there's apparently a good reason for the delay.

>As reported by Engadget, HTC CEO Cher Wang said at the Vive Unbound developers forum last week that the decision was made to hold off on the launch after Valve and HTC made a "very, very big technological breakthrough." So big, in fact, that the initial release version of the headset was suddenly rendered effectively obsolete.

>Unfortunately, she didn't reveal anything about the exact (or even vague) nature of breakthrough—which presumably isn't Smell-O-Vision 2.0—but on the upside we won't have to wait until April to find out: The new technology will be unveiled at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show, which runs from January 6-9 in Las Vegas.

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-reason-for-the-htc-vive-delay-was-a-very-very-big-tech-breakthrough/?utm_content=buffera745c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb

What could it be guys? A technological breakthrough so big that it rendered their current model OBSOLETE?
>>
>>321102367
Smell-o-vision
>>
>>321102367
I guess it has to do something with the display. They probably want to go with higher res and couldn't get enough displays in time. Doubt it's really anything ''very, very big''.
>>
>>321102505
>About to board the helicopter to the borealis
>Alex hops in
>"Let's go..."
>She reeks of shit.

Kek

inb4 smell-o-vision mods
>>
built in vr waifu
>>
Something that nothing but super hardcore purists will notice or care about
>>
Gabe Newell will make anime real
>>
>>321102367
confirmed smello-vision
>>
>>321102367
It's just marketing hype.
>>
I think they really screwed the pooch with the word "BREAKTHROUGH".of it a not truly revolutionary and the cure for at least 2 kinds of cancer, then HTC guaranteed to die in PR he'll.
>>
File: 1450561494338.png (2 MB, 1698x1768) Image search: [Google]
1450561494338.png
2 MB, 1698x1768
a new way to display ads in game and track your eyes to see how long you look at them
>>
File: 1450789752008.jpg (109 KB, 464x416) Image search: [Google]
1450789752008.jpg
109 KB, 464x416
>>321102669
>>She reeks of shit

oh
>>
No, it was delayed because of marketing.
>>
>>321103120
Can't wait for ads to start using Shattered Memories technology.
>>
Maybe it's a way to make VR not make you sick, or blind, or give you migraines.
>>
>>321102932
probably this. something like saving 5% energy, or reducing production cost.
>>
>>321102367
>A technological breakthrough so big that it rendered their current model OBSOLETE?

Sad excuse for a delay
>>
AMOLED? Having a non-backlit display would be neat.
>>
FOVEATED RENDERING

You heard it here first

t. htc employee
>>
>>321103532
>>321104020
Can you guys explain what these two things are?

I'm to lazy to google.
>>
File: spoon-feeding.jpg (82 KB, 584x389) Image search: [Google]
spoon-feeding.jpg
82 KB, 584x389
>>321104254
amoled means the pixels illuminate themselves. allows very high contrast.

foveated rendering means it tracks where your eyes are pointing and only renders that area at full detail, and everywhere else at a much lower resolution
>>
>>321104254
Fuck you.
>>
>>321104020
>FOVEATED RENDERING
fuck that
>>
tripping over and getting tangled or stuck in and on cables general
>>
>when you see the vive you will be ashamed of your words and deeds
>>
File: NG.png (357 KB, 1152x647) Image search: [Google]
NG.png
357 KB, 1152x647
Make it happen
>>
File: 1430850699549.jpg (13 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1430850699549.jpg
13 KB, 250x240
>All this VR shilling
Next Christmas there will be nothing left to do but dissecting the remnants of the VR industry because nobody actually bought $400+ devices that require $1500 PCs to work properly and still have nogames
>>
I smell bullshit. there was no breakthrough
they just fucked up and used an older and inferior version of something when they ordered parts for manufacturing is my guess
>>
>>321104020
If they actually pull that off I'll eat my hat
They'd need a lot outside help to make that viable from a software standpoint as far as support goes.

Also this is like the fourth thread we've had in 24 hours on this
>>
>>321105043
It's built in the SDK. If properly integrated, we might see up to 50x (times, not percent) increased performance in idea situations. This is huge for obvious reasons.
>>
>>321104903
It could be possible, SAO does take place in the mid 2020's.
>>
>>321104526
>look at me I'm superior too you cuz I know everything cuz I don't have a life, i know everything but touching a girls vagina
>>
>>321105371
Asshurt normalfag.
>>
>>321105043
Software isn't the issue. Hardware is. There is no eyetracking fast enough to do it, let alone small and inexpensive enough to fit in a consumer device.

>>321105183
Not going to happen.
>>
I could imagine something like full body tracking.
High dynamic range like in that one experiment they made would be awesome, but it probably not gonna happen considering that the monitors they abused for that had a life span measured in minutes.
>>
>>321105371
can you be any more mad?
>>
>>321102367
Better displays
>>
>>321105371

>being a child
>on the internet

mods
>>
bluetooth integration with toaster
>>
>>321105537
And that's ignoring the fact that foveated rendering is practically useless at the currently available resolutions. And no, you aren't going to get substantially higher resolutions while still being a 90hz OLED global display. Not if you want to manufacture more than a few thousand units anyway.
>>
>>321102367
please be
>three-dimensional wireless tactile feedback
>can't clip your 1-meter sword through a virtual object

anything less is waste of time
>>
>>321102367
WAS GETTING DELAYED A PART OF THEIR PLAN?
>>
>>321106968
Might be honestly.

Valve's been on the VR boat for a while now.
Oculus is about to ship.
If this puts it significantly above Oculus in terms of tech, it can fuck up the Oculus's sales.
>>
>>321106849
And how exactly do you envision that working? Tractor beams or just plain old telekinesis?
>>
Second time today.
Stop anon
>Its HTC, so you know its shit already
>Literally nothing but speculation for now
>>
>>321107208
I ain't saying it's realistic.

I just can't see anything actually living up to the label of "huge breakthrough" other than that.
>>
>>321106849
Hah, don't be stupid. You could do Tactical Haptics stuff, but there's no way that could be made wireless anytime soon. Vive still has problems making their basic controllers wireless with their batter drain. And that's still not going to prevent you from clipping any more than just naturally drawing your hand back from the sound.
>>
>>321102367
i really don't get it, why are you excited about HTC product?
i had shitload of HTC phones (last one htc m9)
and despite their phones are pretty cool and legit
HTC stops supporting them after a very short time (one year or so after the new line of phones are launched).
i have a strong belief that this would be the story with the VR specs.
btw, don't mention that they delete comments on thier forums when more than XY number of people complain about a specific problem
SOURCES
owner of almost every htc phone in the last 3 years
friend of the family is a licensed dealer for htc phones, so we get them almost free.

by the way 2, once they stop supporting the device, its going to be like 1/60 tasks going to end up with crash/freeze

>muh underdog
>>
Is this just a clever way to get me to not put down my money to preorder Oculus next month?
>>
>>321107325
A simple and robust full-body tracking solution should qualify if you ask me.
>>
me and my virtual "trip over cables with no efficient way to input text" reality

can't wait to sit on my toiled with my thumb up my butt while making stupid faces like a child, tho like that guy in the picture it will be epic
>>
>>321105371
What the fuck is this post about? You asked two questions and he answered them both, in actual pretty good detail. I didn't know the eyeball tracker shit either. Why are you so assmad in getting exactly what you wanted?
>>
>>321107473
Common sense should have been enough to do that on its own.
>>
>>321102367
marketing hype
it's probably an optimization in design they overlooked
>>
>>321102367
Their breakthrough was probably finding out that saying they made a huge breakthrough will get them free hype.
>>
Marketing bullshit. They fuck up their planning and need some excuse to tell the public, and take the chance to frame the delay as something positive.

If they actually had made a real breakthrough, they'd be fucking eager to give us some kind of hint of what it is and get us even more hyped.
>>
>>321107487
I'm not sure how they could do that. Lighthouse only works on rigid bodies. You would need to strap a ton of things to you for full body to work, or use cameras on the outside like Oculus is doing.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
>>321108626
Lighthouse does sweep the room with laser lines, doesn't it? Could you use an external camera to see those on the user's body, turning it into a 3D scanner?
>>
>>321109323
Yes, that's possible, I even mentioned that. You would need multiple cameras though, ideally 4, for how much they want you to move in Vive's room scale stuff. Which would be ironic given how often Vive fanboys scream about Oculus having cameras.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.