[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
60% off on Steam...is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Civilization_Beyond_Earth_Cover.jpg (204 KB, 1061x1500) Image search: [Google]
Civilization_Beyond_Earth_Cover.jpg
204 KB, 1061x1500
60% off on Steam...is it worth it?
>>
i was wondering just the same, should i buy it or just stick up to Civ V?
>>
>>321089798
desu it just feels like a civ 5 mod stick with civ 5 if u have it
>>
the # of active players for Civ 5 is like 50k and beyond earth is 3k. I think that speaks for itself

Civ V is consistently one of the top 5 played games on Steam, but I prefer civ 4 desu

If you want something similar to civ but different get Total War Attila or Rome II which have campaign modes kind of like civ but where you can actually fight battles in the field if you want.
>>
>>321089798
>>321090221
As someone who bought Beyond Earth, played it for a few hours, then went back to Civ 5 forever, NO. Do not buy.
>>
Just get 5 if you don't have it or get expansions for those

It's not worth it
>>
It's a scifi Civ 5 mod. Buy it when you can get the main game and the expansion for about 10 bucks.

You'll play one or two games, and then forget Beyond Earth exists.
>>
>>321089798
If you really want a similar (and better) Civ experience just go with Civ V with expansions. If you want the best Civ has to offer, just go with Civ IV.
>>
>>321091442

It's just not any real sort of upgrade over Civ 5, Beyond Earth isn't bad it's just that there isn't much new to see.
>>
>>321089798
>>321090221
Do neither. Just go play Civ 4.
>>
God no

Plus there's loads of recent 4x games that are worth a look before it
>>
>>321089798

I would wait until the game + its expansion are on sale. The base game isn't bad...but its also nowhere near as good as Civ V. So playing it, you just keep wanting to go back to Civ V.

The expansions might improve it. But only time will tell.
>>
civ 5 exists so no
>>
>>321089798
It basically amounts to a slightly less polished version of Civilization V.

- There are FAR fewer factions (sponsors) and their unique traits are far less impactful.
- A currency is used for diplomatic exchanges, and war-time agreements function very differently (this gets complicated and you should read up on it if it's of any interest to you).
- A black market utilizing the aforementioned diplomacy currency lets you obtain resources that might otherwise be inaccessible to you.
- No luxuries.
- Instead of ideologies, BE has affinities. You will progress through them automatically as you research new technologies, and complete quests.
- Ideology-specific units tend to require one of three special, limited resources to create. This is one criticism of the game, and some players feel that your starting location (what resources you spawn by) overly impacts which affinity you must use.
- You will constantly be bombarded by different quests, and so if you're not looking to wage war you'll always have something else to do.
- An archaeology system lets you combine different artifacts that you recover from dig sites to get permanent bonuses and unique wonders.
- No nukes.
- More varied types of "barbarian" units (xenos/aliens), that you can also "leash" and use for yourself.
- Miasma may hinder your ability to explore early game. Miasma tiles deal damage to any unit that ends their turn on them, and you must research certain technologies/pursue certain affinities to neutralize this annoyance.

That's about all that I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
Dude just get endless legend it's a better game and 66% off of a lower RRP
Gal civ 3's 50% off too

Beyond earth feels like a shit mod, you're best off trying another 4x entirely if you already play Civ V
>>
>DLC is still 25 dollars for a shit game that destroyed any credit they've ever had

Nice try.
>>
>>321093967
Gal Civ 3 was shit, I heard, though. It barely adds anything on top of GCII, and has fewer races, even.
>>
Is the multiplayer in GalCiv 3 any good?
>>
It's alright, but Civ 5 is way better.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.