[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where the hell do i start with this series? i want to get into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14
File: FF1 logo_PSP--article_image.jpg (42 KB, 620x268) Image search: [Google]
FF1 logo_PSP--article_image.jpg
42 KB, 620x268
where the hell do i start with this series? i want to get into it but have no clue where to begin.
>>
File: 1450132504319.png (176 KB, 407x680) Image search: [Google]
1450132504319.png
176 KB, 407x680
Play the PSP version of IV, it's the first FF game that's very story driven and it's not as difficult as the first 3 games. The PSP version also includes The After Years (a sequel) and Interlude which is a new short game set between FFIV and The After Years.
PPSSPP runs on toasters and FFIV isn't a demanding game for it.
>>
IV or V for 2D (saving 6 since it's the best in the series)
7 and 10 for 3D
>>
>>321089749
i still have issues with that game on my Shield tablet. every other PSP game runs perfectly. It's slightly infuriating.
>>
4, 5, 6, 7, Tactics are essential

9, 10, 12 are optional

X-2 if you really REALLY liked 10

Lightning Returns if you can play a game only for its combat gameplay and nothing else.

Crisis Core/Dirge of Cerebrus if you really REALLY liked 7

Dissidia if you want to play as everyone from all these games in a fighting game

The After Years and Interlude if you really REALLY liked 4

Others are not worth it.
>>
>>321088676

Yeah, it's not as easy as getting into Dragon Quest, is it? With that series you can pretty much just start at the first and move on up Or just play the ones that everyone recommends. I don't feel like writing out my usual long, semi-detailed post that I write out for these questions, but someone will come along and post a nice flowchart eventually. To be quick though: VI and VII are excellent starters. Not to say that games before or after them aren't worth it, those two are just great entry points.
>>
File: Episode Duscae Compilation.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Episode Duscae Compilation.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
Just play the newest ones.
>>
>>321088676

PSP FF1 is charming and easy enough to get through in a couple of days

Start there 1 - 3 are easy enough to blitz through
>>
>>321089749
FF1 isn't actually that hard if you've played RPG's before, and the educated guesses you made on "what can I expect from this situation or monster?" are very much predicated on your experience with that, and in some part, on whether you ever played D&D.

Of course, the tropes and things you expect from monsters and fantasy games, are staples now, partially because of games like FF1.

If you prepare well and make smart educated guesses on what you think will work or just fish for the spell that works like you would in Persona, it's really not that hard. It's even easier, actually, because a lot of monster types follow similar patterns vulnerability wise, and in terms of what you can do.

There are also really only a few truly awful mobs, and many of those have glaring weaknesses.

Of course, some are pure shit, to be sure. There is practically nothing in the Desert surrounding the last dungeon that is actually worth fighting, And several types of undead, "not mindflayers" and enemies you can get at early ,but really shouldn't, will slap your shit potentially.

By persona and other game standards though, it's actually pretty mild. They aren't that common, really.
>>
The gba port of 1 was really fun, I assume the psp version is even better. Is american 4 that easy? I played the Playstation version and it is by far the hardest FF game I've played.
>>
>>321089749

Yeah, I suppose the PSP version is about the best you can get for English FF IV if you want the original gameplay.Really, there's no perfect English version of FF IV though which is a real shame.
>>
>>321091191

What's your definition of "perfect"?

I'd like to get all the civil discussion out before the ffvi/vii/ix fanatics come in and shit up the place.
>>
File: ff81.gif (15 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
ff81.gif
15 KB, 500x446
>>321090919

I haven't played the GBA version of I, but I was bored out of my mind when I played the PSP version. FC (or Playstation) version all the way for me.

The English SNES version of FF IV took the Japanese easytype version which was ridiculously easy, and used it as a base (though it had further alterations).
>>
>>321091470

Basically a version based on the original SFC hardtype version with a good translation. The PSX version is perfect as far as the gameplay goes, it's a straight port of the SFC hardtype. The translation is pretty shit though. Not as bad as the godawful fan-translation (that's one of the worst things I've ever seen), but parts of it reminds me a bit too much of the J2e "translation" though. The GBA and PSP versions touch up the script a bit, but it's still based on the PSX localization. The DS version is the only decent English localization of FF IV, but the game is completely different from the original version. It's not bad, it's just if you can't read Japanese and you want the original gameplay with a good translation, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>guy makes this thread every day
>same exact image and question
>people keep responding seriously
>always derails into typical FF argument

Its so easy to troll /v/.
>>
>>321093467
who's arguing?
>>
>>321088676
TACTICS ADVANCE IS LITERALLY THE BEST FINAL FANTASY GAME

DO NOT PLAY TACTICS/WAR OF THE LIONS UNLESS YOU LIKE GRINDING AND OVERPOWERED SHIT

main games play all of them except 7
>>
>>321088676
FF9 is the newest one that still retains the feel of the old games. Great characters, story, and the combat is decent enough; it's not as complicated as some of the other FFs which might make it easier to get into.

FF8 is fairly odd in the context of the other games both in theme and gameplay. Levels and equipment have almost no factor in determining how strong you are, instead you "equip" magic, which is a limited resource. Definitely not for beginners.

FF7 is an essential play but hasn't aged well. Try not to go in expecting too much, the hype surrounding it is based on the fact that this was the first FF game many of us were exposed to, as previous games had limited exposure in the west.

FF10 is also a good one to start off with, because it's fairly linear and holds your hand for a good several hours in the beginning, but unlike FF13 however, the game is actually good and offers plenty of gameplay variety along the way. Very fast combat because it's true turn-based, there are no ATB bars to wait for, you attack as fast as you can mash the button.

FF12 is also an excellent game, but unlike the others, it's open-world with real-time combat, and you only actively control a single selected character while everyone else switches to AI that you have to configure yourself. Light on story, but heavy on gameplay, there's a metric ton of shit to do if you ignore the main story. Probably not for beginners just because you'll be overwhelmed by all the options you have.
>>
Why is no one talking about the ds port of IV? Sure the chibi models aren't that pretty, but the difficulty of the port makes it the most satisfying imho.
>>
File: 3716730.gif (1009 KB, 2637x1810) Image search: [Google]
3716730.gif
1009 KB, 2637x1810
Just jump in anywhere you want as long as it's not II or XIII.
>>
>>321093642

Give it time. Can't have a FF thread over 100 posts without a FFVI-IX argument.
>>
File: Porom-FFIV-After-Years.png (162 KB, 306x620) Image search: [Google]
Porom-FFIV-After-Years.png
162 KB, 306x620
>>321089749
This, IV is one of the best Final Fantasy's and the PSP version has almost all the bonus content from the other versions.
>>
>>321094706

> IV is one of the best Final Fantasy's
That doesn't say much for the rest of the series. But considering this is a series where FFVIII and X have the best gameplay...yeah. Not much can be said for the series.
>>
>>321094198
>whynotboth.gif
Both 6 and 9 are arguably the best games of their respective generations.

Thanks to the recent explosion of indishit millennials can now stomach retro graphics more than they used to.
>>
>>321094018
the DS version is great and I wish the difficulty carried over to the PSP version. I think the augment system was neat and it's a shame it's not in other versions.
>>
File: every FF thread ever.png (79 KB, 1464x804) Image search: [Google]
every FF thread ever.png
79 KB, 1464x804
>>321088676
Don't listen to anyone all they are going to say is start with this one because it's _MY_ favorite or because it was _MY_ first FF.

Simply do some basic research on the games and start out with the one that seems most interesting to you. The games aren't related to each other apart from sharing similar themes and names for items, enemies and some characters so you aren't really going to miss or spoil anything with the obvious exceptions being the direct sequels for FFIV, X and XIII.
>>
>>321094929
What makes you say that VIII has (some of) the best gameplay? It's not very well balanced IMO, either you don't get how junctioning works and spend the game sucking at it, or you get exactly how it works and steamroll everything after farming the right spells.
>>
>>321095606

For me, I enjoy RPG systems that allow you to customize things. I won't try to claim FFVIII isn't broken. But pretty much any FF game becomes easy mode when you learn how to use the system correctly. Including VIII and X.

I enjoyed VIII and X because they had something to do in battle. Even if it was as limited as junctioning sleep on a weapon, using summons consistently and using an R trigger for the gunblade. They were at least something more than just the usual attack + heal combo of most FF games.
>>
IV probably has the worst gameplay of any FF after II.
>>
>>321088676
Gee 1 I guess?
>>
>>321096417

Basic doesn't mean bad.
>>
>>321097427

If an RPG fails at the most basic fundamentals of what makes a game an RPG, it's bad.
>>
>>321097525

It's a JRPG. They've never been the same as western RPGs. So yeah, it's a shitty RPG when comparing it to what the west expects out of a role-playing game, but for a Japanese RPG, it's pretty standard fare.
>>
>>321097525
Good thing FF4 doesn't fail at that stuff then.
>>
>>321097427

When Final Fantasy IV has less developed combat than a Dragon Quest game on the NES, then it is pretty bad.

They added ATB to make it seem more complex. But all it really does is get the average player to quickly mash attack or Ice 2 to get more turns in. Then when the game turns around and has someone like Rubacante or CPU OHKO the whole party for using the wrong attack, its even more stupid.

Square just can't do gameplay well. The closest they ever got was FFX. And even that just devolves into using the same three tactics.
>>
>>321097781

It's a shitty RPG even by shitty JRPG standards because even the shittiest JRPGs usually allow you SOME degree of freedom in how you set up your party. IV doesn't allow you to do jack shit. You can't change jobs, you can't choose which characters to take along, you can't learn skills by any means but level up. From a combat perspective IV is even more linear than fucking XIII is.
>>
Is FFXII international worth emulating?
>>
>>321096532

Gee had a rough day being a useless faggot?

OP, ignore morons like this, start with whichever appeals to you. The good thing with this series is that few have interlinked stories.

Personally I'd say anything between 5 through 10 to begin. From there see what takes your fancy.
>>
>>321098073

Personally I don't always mind that sort of thing. I like games that give me lots of customization and I like games that give me little to none. I can see why little to none would annoy someone in a mood for RPGs though.
>>
>>321098073
There's nothing wrong with level based growth, but Rydia can gain a few summons from monster drops and later versions of IV let you change your party at the end, though I don't see why people bitch about it with IV when the story is built around the change of party members and you get everything you need party wise at the end.
>>
>>321089864
This
>>
>>321088676
FF I
>>
File: Squall Rinoa Sit FF8.jpg (316 KB, 1000x772) Image search: [Google]
Squall Rinoa Sit FF8.jpg
316 KB, 1000x772
Want a linear JRPG experience?
Try 10 first. My personal favorite

Want some more exploration but still a great story?
3D - 7, 9
9 is much better with experience from prior entries. Its a big homage and easter egg basket for previous games.
2D - 4, 6

If you want something experimental, but broken, play 8. I loved 8, but its battle system is flawed as fuck and they goofed on a story element or two, and i can understand why many would dislike it. Better foreshadowing would have fixed it imo.

If you want an MMO
11 is an oldschool MMO, with a lot of grind, but a great story and fleshed our world with memorable areas and soundtrack. However its population is dwindling, and unless you find someone to start fresh with you, you'll be trying to find a way to solo this game for a good portion of it. I hear its much easier now, but this was next to impossible in its prime.

14 if you want a more "modern" mmo with lots of easter eggs and nods to previous entries in the series.. So queueing for dungeons, and faster combat, etc. Its populated and fun if you like the current WoW formula MMO

Consider settings as well.
7,8, 10, and 13 are more "sci-fi" though thats stretching it most of the time for 10.
>>
>>321095089
I agree, I much prefer the psp's graphics to the ds. It's just unfortunate that I'm able to blow through that version in a weekend
>>
>>321098140
It changes up the gameplay by forcing characters into specific roles like other FFs and limit breaks no longer use MP, plus other tweaks like item relocations and controllable guest NPCs.

I won't say that it's the definitive version of the game, since there's plenty of fun to be had breaking the US version, so it's more of a different experience than anything.
>>
>>321100079
Yeah, if only we could have had the best of both worlds. Maybe in the next remake.
>>
>>321097804
FFIV actually has much more complex combat and better gameplay than you're giving it credit for. It was the RPG that put FF-style scripted boss fights on the map because it's the one that invented them and it's still the FF with the tightest balance and difficulty curve.

Either way, I had far more fun playing it than I did playing any FF after V.
>>
>>321100534

>It was the RPG that put FF-style scripted boss fights on the map because it's the one that invented them
Don't know what you're talking about here. But FFIII had those.

>and it's still the FF with the tightest balance and difficulty curve.
Oh god no. FFIV goes from piss easy in the first half to stupid broken with the Four Fiends. Then even more broken on the moon.

Are you talking about the US release on the SNES? Because even then its not balanced. Just easier than the original Japanese SNES/DS version.
>>
>>321100952
>to stupid broken with the Four Fiends. Then even more broken on the moon.
It's 'broken' if you're expecting the game to roll over and require nothing from the player, but if that's your standard you have no business talking about RPGs in the first place.
>>
>>321100952
FF3 had nothing like the Magus Sisters, the Core, or the Four Fiends.
>>
>>321088676
I just started with the first one, and kept going down the line.
>>
>>321088676
i started with 8 and have no intention of playing every game in the series but am stoked for 7 remake so gonna play crisis core soon.

Other than that IMO the fun ones are
X, XII, type zero, Lightning returns and the remakes of 3/4 for DS are pretty good so is tactics and the dissidia games.

But personally im kinda bored of the old school way of random encounters with turn based combat and pre-rendered backgrounds with awkward minigames that control poorly (think of the train section in FF8 or the sneaking section in shinra headquarters)
>>
>>321101302

You claimed FFIV has the ' tightest balance and difficulty curve.' Now you're admitting you have to stop and level at places. That's not a tight difficulty curve. That's sharp increases in enemy HP and damage, which causes you to have to stop and level.

There's nothing wrong with a little grinding. It just invalidates your 'tight difficulty curve' you were claiming.
>>
>>321101992
>am stoked for 7 remake
Pleb.
>>
>>321102190
Fuck off hipster
>>
File: FFVIIDoC_eu.jpg (54 KB, 640x902) Image search: [Google]
FFVIIDoC_eu.jpg
54 KB, 640x902
Anyone else enjoy this?
>>
>>321102306
>I'm a hipster because I don't want Real Time Hallway Simulator 2017 Episode 1 (of 5)
>>
>>321102173
>Now you're admitting you have to stop and level at places.
What? I never said that.
>>
>>321102375
I've always meant to since I thought Vincent was cool when I was a teenager, but I never got around to it.
>>
File: Queen of the hill Final Fantasy.jpg (251 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Queen of the hill Final Fantasy.jpg
251 KB, 1920x1080
Final Fantasy III for DS was pretty sweet.
>>
Do you want to experience a game of people trying out new ideas in a new environment?
Play 1, 4, 7 or 10.

Do you want to a game that makes the most of their platform to give a more well rounded experience?
Play 6, 9, or 12.
>>
>>321088676
either start with 7 or 10 that was most peoples first FF game
>>
Most of the games have completely different plots in different universes so you dont have to start anywhere. People are just naming their favorite ones.
>>
>not just playing them in order
I was a complete newfag to the FF series until a few months ago. Decided to start from the beginning, wanted to get through them before XV and the 7 Remake come out. I know the story between the games don't carry over but I still prefer to play the series in order regardless to appreciate the evolution of the gameplay. Beat 1, 2, 4, haven't bothered with 3 yet because I couldn't find a way to play it, probably will end up playing a fan translated version of the NES game, halfway through 5.
>>
>>321103357
Be prepared to see everything you like jump off of a cliff starting with VI.
>>
>>321102375
Nope.
>>
>>321103357
>haven't bothered with 3 yet because I couldn't find a way to play it, probably will end up playing a fan translated version of the NES game
Just play the DS game (or one of it's ports), it's the best version.
>>
>>321104120

>Battles somehow slower than the NES version
>Stats get nerfred when changing jobs

Absolutely disgusting. I'll never understand how people can enjoy the remakes more than the original version.

I never see Dragon Quest fans argue over which version of a game to play, now that I think of it.
>>
>>321104819
That's because the DQ remakes almost universally improve upon the vanilla game. You might be able to argue that the DS remakes don't because their pseudo-3D is hideous compared to the original games but they're way better than the originals games outside of that.
>>
>>321103357

>haven't bothered with 3 yet because I couldn't find a way to play it

What? Is downloading an emulator and a translated ROM too arcane?
>>
>>321105026

That seems to be the case. I usually play the original version of a game first, but went with various remakes of the DQ games when I finally decided to play through the series this year mostly because they use kanji (the FC versions do not) and because they sound really nice. I planned to play the original versions eventually but... I'm not sure if I will or not, it's hard to see a point in it. I'll probably play the original FC version of the first game just to experience the game that launched JRPGs, but the other? Eh, not sure. DQ IV's FC/NES version sounds really annoying because you apparently don't have control of your party members in chapter V.
>>
File: grinding.jpg (678 KB, 1136x700) Image search: [Google]
grinding.jpg
678 KB, 1136x700
>>321104819

>Absolutely disgusting. I'll never understand how people can enjoy the remakes more than the original version.
I agree. I honestly haven't seen a FF remake improve on the original. FFIII and IV even went out of their way to add higher EXP rates for playable characters while also adding higher damage and HP to enemies. Making you have to actually grind to proceed in a FF game. A series which otherwise takes no grinding.

And Temple of the Ancients in FFIII on DS is the dumbest dungeon I've ever seen in an RPG.

>I never see Dragon Quest fans argue over which version of a game to play, now that I think of it.

Pretty much because every remake is better without question. Thanks to the original team who made the first game working on the remake.
>>
>>321105926
>And Temple of the Ancients in FFIII on DS is the dumbest dungeon I've ever seen in an RPG.

U Wot M8?
>>
File: FFVIICC_na.jpg (74 KB, 227x396) Image search: [Google]
FFVIICC_na.jpg
74 KB, 227x396
What did you guys think of crisis core?
>>
>>321106654
Greatest portable game ever made.

Top 10 game ever made.
>>
>>321090196
So TAY and Interlude are worth looking into?
>>
>>321106654

Wanted a game about Zack. Got a game about Cloud and Sephiroth brooding over their wasted lives. And a gay angel.
>>
>>321106757

Kill yourself
>>
>>321102375
I actually did. I bought it thinking the game was probably complete shit, but I wound up enjoying it quite a bit.
>>
File: image.png (820 KB, 1099x726) Image search: [Google]
image.png
820 KB, 1099x726
What does /v/ think of Type-0 HD?
>>
>>321109592
I want to try it.
>>
>>321109592

I think I don't have a PS4 to play it. But given the history of the FF series, I have a 1/10 chance of liking it.
>>
>>321109865
It's on PC and is on sale right now, m8.
>>
>>321109592
shit shit shit shit shit with a side of fucking shit
>>
>>321109592
its a PSP game on PS4. So expect PSP game
>>
>>321109592
Meh.
>>
>>321106654
It was the funnest Final Fantasy I ever played.
>>
File: 1450323405131.jpg (1 MB, 4944x3192) Image search: [Google]
1450323405131.jpg
1 MB, 4944x3192
>>321088676
>>
>>321114619

>start with FFVII

Stop posting this shit chart.
>>
Start with the ds/mobile version of 3.
>>
>>321115274

>Someone likes a game I don't
>IT'S SHIT!
>>
>>321114619
This needs to be updated.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.