[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is ff9 a good game or is it just a meme >no character customization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: ffgirl.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ffgirl.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
Is ff9 a good game or is it just a meme

>no character customization besides putting on equipment to lean skills
>insultingly easy even for a ff game
>slow battles
honestly it felt like filler to justify FF10 long development time after ff8
>>
FFIX was just a reimagining of the SNES games. It pretty much recycled the basic outline of IV, only with Edge as the MC instead of Cecil.
It's still more memorable than any of the post-PSX FFs though.
>>
It's mostly just shameless nostalgia pandering.

It's not bad by any means, and it's a lot better than 8, but it's not as good as 4, 5, 6 or 7.

People who say it's the best FF are either youngsters whose first FF was 9 and are nostalgiafagging hard or hipster idiots who are too contrarian to admit that 7 is one of the greatest games of all time.
>>
>>321068995
>larhe quantity of people liking a single title is a meme
fuck you, OP. FF9 is a great, beautiful and comfy as hell. It does not need some suoer complex character cudtomization crap.

specialized characters with personality > blank slates
>>
>>321069819
I wasn't any of those, and I love Ff9. It and 7 are the best games on the series
>>
>if Zidane is above level 1 when a new character joins the party, said character will be missing stats and ability stones (that they should have) due to having a higher starting level, because the game only adds those things upon leveling up
Why was this mechanic in the game?
>>
>>321070668
I never noticed this. I don't remember it being an issue, even though you don't get Eiko or Amarant until you're about level 20 or so.
>>
>>321069468
No it wasn't. Edge is nothing like Zidane. I don't recall Zidane being a WMD or a Prince or a ninja, or a hothead
>>
>>321069819
>it's a lot better than 8
opinion discarded
>>
>>321073060
>I don't recall Zidane being a WMD
Really?
>a ninja
Thief class
>or a hothead
Really?
>>
>meme
Is there a more misused word in existence today?
>>
File: 1378577698273.jpg (206 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1378577698273.jpg
206 KB, 900x1200
ive tried too beat this game on multiple occasions and ive gotten into like 2/3 the way into disk 2 and i hated it.
>quina
>zidane is supposed to be comic relief and is never funny, just obnoxious
>trance system is FUCKED
>wearing shitty equipment to learn abilities
>ability system is garbage
>Amarant and Eiko feel forced into plot

I did like Vivi, Steiner, and Freya though.

ff8 was my first ff and years later replaying it, i realized it was just really nostalgic for me, not a fantastic final fantasy, but not terrible either.
Personally i thought ff10 was fantastic as it had a good story, actual funny parts, heartfelt parts, great combat, loved the sphere grid and the way summoning was redone, and most of all the music.
ff12 is also another great one. I stopped about 8 hours in my first playthrough cause i was confused/bored. Later on i pushed on an beat the game and HOLY FUCK it was AWSOME. The combat system & story were a fantastic break from the usual Bullshit FF stories. But Vaan and Penelo can seriously take an airship and fall off the earth for all i care.
>>
File: ooo soft.png (219 KB, 480x344) Image search: [Google]
ooo soft.png
219 KB, 480x344
9 is fun. Only real complaint I have is the lengthy random battles. Well thought-out world, cool creatures and art design, likable cast and believable villains, fun-as-fuck minigames, engaging plot right up until the end when things go off the rails (but it's so crazy and cool I honestly didn't even notice), decent music, nifty secrets, etc.

Well, I guess I could complain about the time-locked sword and other unobtainable-past-a-certain-point weapons needed for synthing. But all-in-all I really enjoyed it. Borrowed it from a friend before going and purchasing it for myself.
>>
>>321073060
>No it wasn't.
An erstwhile peaceful kingdom declares war on all other states which it procedes to invade with unrelenting force. Your plucky gang of ragtag adventurers set out to stop the war and in doing so discover that the ruler of the kingdom was merely a front to the true orchestrator, a mysterious and powerful magically-embued man who seems to have some connection with the protagonist. It is eventually revealed that the two are beings of the same race from a completely different celestial body to where the story originally takes place. Despite all this, the final boss is not the established villain but some weird cosmic entity who is only introduced even as a concept right at the end of the game, for very little clear reason.

That's just the basic outline, I'm probably forgetting some of the more obvious details like how the cute summoner girl and the brash thief tease each other and are clearly in love but don't acknowledge it until much later on.
>>
>>321073135
VIII is absolutely awful and IX is great.
>>
>>321068995
I love it, my favourite FF and one of my favourite games of all time. Very few games are as good at being comfy as it is
>exploring Alexandria with Vivi as you start the game
>hearing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9hPegRaMRk as you leave the ice cavern and come onto the plateau for the first time
>escaping Black Waltz on your airship and flying into Lindblum for the first time
>Lindblum
>Treno
>chocobo digging
between 7, 8 and 9, none of them really have great characters, Quan is about negative 5000 points for 9, but Vivi and Steiner bring it back up
>>
>>321073278
I meant Edge. Edge is not a WMD, a thief, or a calm and collected individual.
>>
>>321074440
>An erstwhile peaceful kingdom declares war on all other states which it procedes to invade with unrelenting force. Your plucky gang of ragtag adventurers set out to stop the war and in doing so discover that the ruler of the kingdom was merely a front to the true orchestrator, a mysterious and powerful magically-embued man who seems to have some connection with the protagonist. It is eventually revealed that the two are beings of the same race from a completely different celestial body to where the story originally takes place. Despite all this, the final boss is not the established villain but some weird cosmic entity who is only introduced even as a concept right at the end of the game, for very little clear reason.
You just outlined FFVI.
>>
File: 1449790264117.jpg (37 KB, 353x439) Image search: [Google]
1449790264117.jpg
37 KB, 353x439
The best RPG ever made with the best OST in my opinion. Don't let these contrarian shit eaters tell you its bad. Finna replay this shit for the 5th time.
>>
>>321068995
Final Fantasy 9 frames per second
>>
>>321073135

>liking VIII
>at all
>>
>>321074040
>tfw you want to steal the Holy Lance from Arc so Freya can learn Dragon's Crest early
>Stealing from the shit is a fucking nightmare
>Getting the Thief Gloves from Treno auction so Zidane can learn Master Thief is almost impossible
I usually stop at that point in the game, it's so god damn irritating.
>>
File: 1450638253644.gif (384 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
1450638253644.gif
384 KB, 350x263
>literally no character customization of any significance
>forced to wear shitty equipment
>slowest battle system out of all games, extremely one dimensional
>terrible load times
>didn't fix balance problems that were present in 7/8 (dragon crest for free 9999 every turn)
>some of the worst missables ever. have to spam steal against most bosses.
>Necron OUT OF NOWHERE
>insultingly easy, once again. wouldnt get a FF with proper difficulty until 12 IZJS

It's not a bad game, but it's not a great game. Would never replay it.
>>
>>321068995
Here (You) are, sir.
>>
>>321074961
>Best OST
>All inferior remakes of older songs
You IX fags truly are the worst cancer on gaming
>>
>>321074939
And IV and IX. So yeah, like I said:
>FFIX was just a reimagining of the SNES games.
>>
>>321074939
What the fuck? No he didn't.
Gestahl was never a "front" for Kefka. He was the emperor, but Kefka killed him at the floating continent. Golbez, on the other hand, was under Zemus's control from the getgo.
>>
File: 1322936854001.gif (264 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1322936854001.gif
264 KB, 250x250
>>321068995
I enjoyed its relaxed difficulty. I felt like I was being perpetually patted on the head the whole way for playing the previous games. A warm and comfy ordeal.
>>
>>321075334
Have any examples or are you just here to be an obnoxious cunt and throw buzzwords around?
>>
>>321074939
Also FFVI never had anything to do with moons or celestial bodies. It all happened on the one planet.

FFVI is mostly a story about Kefka and his plot to destroy the world. All the stuff about the Empire was just his way of obtaining the power to do it.
>>
>>321075725
I specifically said "ALL inferior remakes of older songs". My example would be the OST in its entirety
>>
I don't see why people hate on IX. It's not the best game in the series (that's a tossup between VI, VII and XIII,) but it's not bad either.

Now, the game that REALLY deserves to be shat on is FFX. Fuck that game.
>>
>no character customization besides putting on equipment to learn skills
Customization is shallow in all non-MMO Final Fantasy games

I think its a genuinely good game, but people with overrate it (or 6 more often) as the absolute best of the franchise. Personally I can't really ever get invested in it, I got to disc 3 when it came out and even after replaying years later that's as far as I can get before I completely lose interest.
>>
>>321076057
At least X attempts to be remotely original at times. IX doesn't try anything new while failing to recreate the fun found in the older games
>>
File: 2005-1976260766.png (339 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
2005-1976260766.png
339 KB, 600x450
>>321076057
But why, anon?
>>
I love FF9 but it has a lot of weird pacing problems. Characters stories are either felt rush or ended to soon or worse just not explained at all. Battle wise the game is actually really good in my opinion. Don't really care enough to learn that ability? Fine just equip for as long as you want and throw it away later. I mean steal is completely fucked however where it can take over an hour just to get shit like the fairy flute or the holy lance. I'm just sad we will never really see it outside of VC because of them throwing out the source code. That game is one of the best looking game on the PSX.
>>
The return to Alexandria where its attacked with Bahumat is one of my favorite moments in any game. Everything felt so dire at that moment and the song that plays when you control Steiner and Beatrice is so fitting for it.
>>
>>321075191
Hill Gigas
>>
>>321076321

The game was supposed to be a spinoff, but it was made a mainline FF and pushed out ahead of time, which leads to the drastically lower quality of the 3rd disk.
>>
>>321075907
>"ALL inferior remakes of older songs"
>still cant post just one example
Actually for the most part, i believe you when you say a lot of the OST is borrowing from the older games. You're just an over exaggerating faggot meme tosser however and you should stop posting
>>
The game post garnet sucks. The sophiroth reject villain who picks up the plot is boring. I play the game for the chocobos
>>
>>321077046
I know that but it still a major problem the game has. It's almost like Bravely Default where the game has a pretty good pacing with nice humor but it hits a wall and once it hits it everything goes to shit. I mean the 3rd disk is miles better than BD's wall but it's still there.
>>
>>321077195
>Can't accept that all of them are bad so claims I'm memein
Well memed kiddo, also "borrow" is how I know you've never played any of the preceding Final Fantasy games. You should try them, they're better
>>
>>321076990
>Hill Gigas
I don't follow. The flute you can steal from it? I didn't use Eiko much so I wasn't that bothered.
>>
>>321077270
What? Kuja was a great villain. He played the calculating mastermind great, and the fact that he was a flawed product was a great twist to keep things fresh towards the end and added a lot of character to him and Zidane even as the game closed out.
>>
Why is X-2 so much fun to play? Fucking love it even though it is normally shat on for the inconsequential plot. X-3 never ever.
>>
High quality shitposting.
>>
>>321077831

Not to mention that tight little ass.
>>
>>321068995
Square really wanted to show off in this game, why the fuck are the magic casting animations so damn long and exaggerated?
>>
>>321077480
Not him but the game kind of force you to use her. Since Dagger becomes completely useless for a disk.
>>
File: PSOGL2_165.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
PSOGL2_165.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
You want this flute? Good fucking luck faggot.
>>
>>321068995
FF9's story is a blatant DBZ Story Ripoff
>>
>>321078028
And that midriff. God, what a slut.
>>
>>321070287
this thb senpai
>>
>>321077857
Lightning Returns is basically a spiritual sequel to X-2. Both games seem to have been made with it just about stupid fun. And no real care about the story of the previous game.
>>
>>321078513
In my memory he used overalls, not bdsm gear. What the fuck square?
>>
>>321077857
Because the combat system is the best in the series to date and is one of (if not the) best turn-based systems ever.

>>321078458
Did it? I really don't remember very well. I also don't remember not having the Fairy Flute as being much of an issue. You can buy it later on and the skills it teaches you can be learnt from other things. Dragon's Crest is only learnt from the Holy Lance which is unique to Arc (IIRC) and Kain's Lance which is a Memoria item. I think. It's been a really long time.
>>
>>321078852
I think you can get all the stealable items from stores outside of a small handful. And really you never really need any of the items it's just to help you get the ability sooner since abilities are more useful than the actual weapon power. You can easily play FF9 without having to steal a single item. I was just saying that once Dagger is "boo hoo me" and just don't do anything in battle I took her out and put Eiko.
>>
As someone who has been playing the FF games ever since the very first one and played through all the FF games (and shitloads of other JRPGs) as they came out I found FFIX to be more of a failed attempt to combine the old and modern FFs even if I apparently should love it for being a "return to form". The whole time I played through it I had a feeling of having already done this shit and my main complaint about FFIX is that it didn't bring anything new to the series and generally felt like a tired rehash of the other games in the series. ATE system, FFIX's sole innovation unique feature really wasn't used to it's full potential, hell it was barely used at all after the first disc.

I also feel many of the reason people like FFIX are questionable at best:
>It's a throwback to the older games in the series!
I swear to god that most people saying this only "like" FFIX because doing so allows them to pretend they like the old FF games which they have never played.

>But muh references to the other games!
The ones you never played? Also those references alone don't make it an old school FF game.

>But it has crystals and medieval setting!
It has ONE crystal we see for few seconds at the end of the game. Where are those other crystalS you keep talking about? Also going back to the medieval setting alone isn't going back to the "roots of the series" and apart from the setting the game feels and plays like modern FF game. in b4 the retard who thinks the jewels containing the eidolons are crystals

>But it's a lighthearted adventure unlike FFVII and FFVIII!
So are Grandia and FFV why not go play them instead since they do the lighthearted adventure thing better than FFIX?

That said apart from the painfully slow battles FFIX is good game but it will NEVER be an old-school FF game that the FFVII generation often mistakes it to be. Also I love how FFIXfans can't understand that some people might actually prefer the older FF games to FFs because they ARE what FFIX tries to be.
>>
Subjectively my favorite one of the bunch, but it's one of the most flawed in the series because it got abandoned as the PS2 era dawned on the world.

But I liked the return to the classic set-up and class system.
>>
>>321077857
There's an X-3 friend, it's just exploding in content though!
>>
File: consider the following....jpg (73 KB, 300x301) Image search: [Google]
consider the following....jpg
73 KB, 300x301
Kuja is an Angel of Death genome, created with the sole purpose of funneling souls to Terra by sowing warfare. As such, he's given powerful combat abilities and installed with a life limiter in case he turns traitor. Zidane is created as a replacement for Kuja, for the exact same reason, and it would be fucking idiotic for Garland not to limit him in the same way. The only evidence for him not having a life limiter is Garland telling him he doesn't, in the same speech when he lies about two other things, and is aware Kuja went off the rails when he found out about his limiter, so the smart thing to do would be to lie. Garland has a replacement unit for Zidane already lined up and ready to go. Assuming the limiter kicks in at the same age, and taking Kuja and Zidane's ages into account, the maximum Zidane has to live post ending is around 3 years.

Also the entire theme of the game is that nothing lasts forever as it's seen in Vivi, Terra, etc.
>>
>>321079247
Yeah, Holy Lance is purchasable but super late in the game (Bran Bal, therefore entirely missable or Disc 4 Daguerreo. Too late in my opinion. Is it even possible to get the Thief Glove to appear at Treno auction before fighting Arc? I managed to get back there with a chocobo when it seems virtually impossible otherwise, but the damn thing never appeared.
>>
It's legit a meme, people claim it's good because it's regular medieval fantasy when it isn't really. They also claim it's a return to simple light hearted stories when the few FF games that are light on story, like 3 and 5, made up for it with good mechanics.
However 9 doesn't actually have this redeeming quality.
>>
>>321068995
>insultingly easy even for a ff game

What, like every other FF? None of them are hard by any means.
>>
Arguing about which ff is more fun is like arguing which transformers movie best expressed post modernist ideals
I like FF9 artwork compared to 8 and 10
>>
>>321079756
I think you are right. I was mostly talking about disk 1-3 bosses. And really the only real ability you need is auto haste (mostly because fuck FF9 ATB) and some of the killers to basically be a god.
>>
>>321077468
not him but nice bait. i bet he's angry now.
>>
>>321069819
Implying.
>>
>>321068995
I think people like FF9 because these's no Gadkt/J-Pop/sci-fi bullshit.
>>
>>321069819

got that right.
>>
>>321068995
>slow battles
This is the only thing I have issue with

The skills tied to equipment thing isn't all that different from materia. It's not like character customization was all that important to the series sense 6 came out.
>>
>>321068995
>long development time
They were putting games out fast. Dev time wasn't long at all.
>>
>>321080963
God, this. FF7 and 8 were okay, but you could see they were starting to develop the whole sci-fi schtick that they've pushed onto EVERY FF since, with the exception of XI and XIV of course. FF is at it's best when it isn't trying to be futuristic, VI being an exception though, I love the atmosphere in it.
>>
>>321068995
The world design is the most memorable aspect of this game for me. Lindblum alone is absolutely fantastic and renews my love for aeronautics. Everything is so big and wonderful that it makes real cities drab by comparison.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.