[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens is Valve and Steam die?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: header_logo.png (8 KB, 715x176) Image search: [Google]
header_logo.png
8 KB, 715x176
Anyone here thought much about what would happen if valve went down and you lost all your games? I don't usually think about it but it hit me the other day and now I can't stop. I lay awake sometimes thinking about this shit. All those fucking games, all that progress, all that money...
>>
Second goldenage of PC
360 tards and reddit will leave, leaving only the core PC audience
>>
File: thumbs up man.gif (169 KB, 272x200) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up man.gif
169 KB, 272x200
>steam dies
>all the games you installed onto your PC and that are on your hard disk are deleted forever with no possibility of playing them again
>>
You know, services this big and important, money wise, don't vanish into nothingness, unless a 5 kilometer meteorite hits the Earth. In the worst case scenario someone will buy Steam to maintain it.
>>
that's why I dont rent games on those platforms
>>
If this were to happen, it would start a golden age of piracy.
Noone would be able to stop them as well, because people would be entitled to the games they had on steam
>>
>>321061214
I'd pirate them all back. Pretty easy really.
>>
But this wouldn't happen, right?
>>
>>321061602
Sure
>>
>>321061360

How the fuck would everyone losing most of their games usher in a fucking 'golden age'?
>>
>>321061360
is this bait or are you just retarded
>>
>>321061818
>>321061860
I want /r/pcmasterrace to leave this board at once
>>
>>321061751
It depends on how Microsoft feels. If they succeed in getting users on to 10, and developers onto DX12 they will likely feel bold enough to push an update that locks Windows to the Microsoft Store by default.

That wouldn't be enough to kill Valve and Steam, but it would likely make Steam use drop substantially.
>>
>>321061936
Got banned on m-a-s-t-e-rchan?
>>
Gonna pirate all 200 games I bought on steam then.
>>
>>321061440
Your account needs to be verified before you can access your games. Even if you pick offline mode, after a certain period of time you will need to re-verify your account. You can't install games when offline either. Physical copies lack key files that must be downloaded before the game will even work. Even backups made from Steam's own backup system cannot be installed offline, requiring an internet connection to download required files that are intentionally not included in the backups.

When Steam dies, you lose everything.
>>
>>321062031
Locking windows 10 to the windows store would cause too much of a backlash, especially in today's petition culture. But what I can see them doing is getting exclusive games/content on the windows store to force people to adopt it. You'd be surprised how big of a deal companies put on getting someone to at least use a storefront. That's why games are sometimes given for free on origin and whatnot.
>>
>>321062031
Top fucking kek
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
>>
>>321061214
I no longer use Steam and I've repurchased everything I actually don't regret buying in boxed copy or at GOG.
>>
>>321062031

>he honestly thinks PC gamers will migrate to a fucking Windows app store app
>>
File: 0a1.jpg (72 KB, 643x820) Image search: [Google]
0a1.jpg
72 KB, 643x820
>>321062620
>>
>>321062421
I don't think they'd hard lock it, at least not all the versions. It would be a soft lock like the one in some other platforms. Most users would see the "Warning, unlocking Windows could allow malicious software to run tracking your behavior!" and leave the lock to the Windows store in place.

That would still be enough to take the majority of the market from the other vendors and drop Steam from 150 million users to somewhere less than 20. Assuming a world where everybody was on 10. At this point that's not likely to happen until 2020 or later after Windows 7 is EOL.
>>
Just imagine if you could actually own games instead of having a temporary license to play them
>>
>>321061214
the same thing that will happen when microsoft goes bankrupt

every single computer in the world will stop working forever
>>
>>321062376
and how long do you think it will take for the internet to locate and make available for download those key files?
>>
>>321063239
YOU
NEED
TO
BE
VERIFIED
>>
>>321062774
They would migrate to that faster than they would migrate to Linux, that's for sure.
>>
>>321063239
They're available now, on your friendly neighborhood piracy website. Piracy is the only way you'll be able to obtain and play old or current games in the future. Services will come and go but being able to copy shit will never go away.

Being legit fucks you over in the long run, even with DRM free options like GOG.
>>
>>321063462
If you have all the necessary files, how will the dead steam be able to prevent you double clicking the .exe?
>>
This is seriously going to happen if Shillary becomes president though.
>>
>>321063656
.dll
>>
>>321063656
IT
JUST
WILL
>>
>>321063657
You mean when.
>>
>>321063657
why are american presidential candidates so fucking shit?
>>
>>321063834
>If you have all the necessary files
re read my post
>>
>>321061214
Backup my saves and return to piracy.
>>
>>321063656
Because the games do a license check each time you run them. If it can't check, it can't run.
>>
>>321063940
my bad
>>
what happens if microsoft or sony dies?

why do all the online services stop working?

its happened when they were ddosed or hacked, but has never seemed to happen with steam
>>
>>321064314
>what is crack

you realize most pirated games are just ripped GoG/Steam releases right? Just wait for some nerd to make crack for steam.exe and make few .dlls, ta-da
>>
>>321064519
>what is crack
>>321063552
>>
>>321063552
>even with DRM free options like GOG.
How?
>>
>>321062376
Offlinefag here
Offline mode in steam is fucking eternal
Being playing for 4 months without connection
Buuut, some games need online on first launch, or have that limit... one ea title was like that, but that is not a valve restriction
>>
>>321065167
dont you need to be online to install tho?
>>
>>321065167
Cont:
A gazillion games on steam are drm free, the steam.dll in the folder of those does nothing
You can copy the game an run it anywhere

Ie: super win the game
It even includes an eula that tells you how to 'pirate' the game
>>
>>321065369
Yeah i guess so
I have never tried, dont know how i would if steam does not provide a setup for the game
Afaik steam installations are drag and drop, and steam.dll is the file that checks or ignores
You can tell which titles are just by launching the exe without steam running
Ie: re5 doesnot launch and tells you to run it through steam
>>
>>321062989
Everyone has licences even console fags. The only difference is you guys have a disc and PCs don't. If the next gen consoles have a Tb hardrive standard to hold all your games, they'll go digital and you'll be forced to go digital. Disks would probably just end up being a key to verify the game, but then you have to download the game off the servers.
>>
I wouldn't really care to be honest.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.